Are you curious?

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Postby Llewellian on Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:42 pm

Well... i am a chocolate addict ;o) It really helps me holding my serotonine level of luck after a hard day of stressy computer work.

I dont know if you know "Nutella" in America, its a kind of chocolate cream for your toast. Sometimes, in late evenings.... i get up, take a spoon of it into my mouth, chew on it and drink it down with a half liter of ice cold fresh milk ;o).

On every shopping tour i never forget my 3 different bars of "Ritter" (Marzipan, Strawberry Fruit Filling and Espresso) and 3 bars of "Milka" (both german chocolate brands (all from Nestle).

I thought, french, swiss, belgian or german chocolate is tasty... but as i moved to Japan for a time of work, i really got addicted to the children chocolate sticks there that you get in every 7/11 there. And those bars stuffed with gummi bear filling.....

By the way, talking of sweets: I really do hope, that this Coca Cola C2 comes over from there to europe. The Coca Cola Site says, its half sugar and half carbohydrates. But i say: Thats wrong. C2 must mean "double Coffeine and double carbonated". I tried it in Sapporo at work. Man...you can drink it only absolutely ice cold (its very sour and sugary at the same time) and it kicks in better than any double heart attack espresso (and thats for me, as a coffeeine addict something new). And you have to belch like hell of it. My...it will really blow you up like a baloon. The nasty child in me likes that...he he he. With one litre of it, you can burp the entire Wagners "Ring of the Niebelungen" with that.
Nothing is as bad as it looks on the first view...
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:58 pm

Llewellian wrote:I dont know if you know "Nutella" in America, its a kind of chocolate cream for your toast.

YES! Nutella used to be one of my 'what should I buy to stretch my food spending since I want to by a ludicrous stereo' foods, with a whole lot of day-old bread. :D A 'hasselnuss' spread. It's actually pretty common here now, even in the big supermarkets. I never thought I'd be able to buy it all the way in Phoenix, Arizona. :D

[quote]"Ritter"
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TheTeague on Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:19 pm

Cadbury Eggs are great, but what you really should try if you can find 'em in the store are "Milka Lil' Scoops". *Of course, in the supermarket, they're not nearly as expencive as this website seems to be selling them for. They're more like $4 or less.*
TheTeague
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby pablo on Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:14 pm

TheTeague wrote:Cadbury Eggs are great, but what you really should try if you can find 'em in the store are "Milka Lil' Scoops". *Of course, in the supermarket, they're not nearly as expencive as this website seems to be selling them for. They're more like $4 or less.*

Oh man, those sound yummy! :D
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Llewellian on Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:49 am

Offtopic:

kinako mochi wrote:
Sapporo?!? I was born in Chitose! Small world. My family lives in Sapporo, Shiroishi, Hakodate, and Chitose. My late uncle ran a bakery and pastry shop there; I'll dig up the name out of the boxes I packed one of the customer bags in. It's orange-yellow and black with a clock logo on it. Unreal custard 'pan'. :D

Well, i cant say where i lived for that time there, i didn
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:21 am

Tanukitsune wrote:I want my Cadburry Cream Eggs! And I've never had a marshmellow Peep in my life!

I want a "proper" Easter... :cry:

You poor guy! Shall I mail you some? They'll be nice and old by the time they get to you. :)

Just don't tell me if you decide to make flaming balls of peeps out them.
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby MrEff on Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:02 pm

we used to save peeps in a freezer until summer then take em camping and roast em....

Think big puffy chick/bunnies The sugar coating crisping nicely....

Mmmmmmm

then I became allergic to marshallow.... (but not the dehydrated kind go fig)

-MrEff-

*bonks Pablo back with some discarded Peeps*
Live life at Benny Hill "freak out" speed

MrEff
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lugnut on Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:31 pm

Chocolate talk...goodness gracious...

We're making truffles this weekend, I'm going to use cayenne in some of 'em. Debating how I could get some habanero into 'em...we shall see :D

And POCKY....dear LORD....I LIVED off that stuff during my otaku years. The chocolate mousse pocky is also to die for. Dammit. I need to go back to Mitsuwa (japanese market near me)...

And Tanuk, I will also contribute Cadbury Cream eggs and other easter related paraphenalia to your cause. Nobody should be forced to go without THAT sugar rush. :) My sister actually melted Cadbury cream eggs last year, and poured it over ice cream. No crap. She didn't sit still for a WEEK...
<The past is what makes us careful with the future>
Lugnut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:41 pm

Lugnut wrote:My sister actually melted Cadbury cream eggs last year, and poured it over ice cream. No crap. She didn't sit still for a WEEK...

Hoooooly CRA- *head explodes mid-sentence* :D

Melted. Ghirardelli. Dark. Over. Breyer's. Grand. Vanilla. Bean.

*sees self from ceiling* :D

How about crushing chocolate-covered espresso beans over B&J's Peanut Butter Cup or a French vanilla ice cream? (Personally, my whacked-out tastes want them totally obscuring a few scoops of Chunky Monkey. :D )
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Llewellian on Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:11 am

@Kinako:

Try hot sugared blackberries on Vanilla Ice Cream. Mix melted (microwave helps) Nutella with some spoons of Rum (stir it until its a good cream again) and pour that over the blackberries and the Vanilla Ice.

I guarantee you instant caries. And its sooooo goood.
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:26 am

That's it! I'm going out to buy ice cream RIGHT NOW!!!!

Shivers in anticipation

Yummmmmmmm
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tanukitsune on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:04 am

Lugnut wrote:Chocolate talk...goodness gracious...

We're making truffles this weekend, I'm going to use cayenne in some of 'em. Debating how I could get some habanero into 'em...we shall see :D

And POCKY....dear LORD....I LIVED off that stuff during my otaku years. The chocolate mousse pocky is also to die for. Dammit. I need to go back to Mitsuwa (japanese market near me)...

And Tanuk, I will also contribute Cadbury Cream eggs and other easter related paraphenalia to your cause. Nobody should be forced to go without THAT sugar rush. :) My sister actually melted Cadbury cream eggs last year, and poured it over ice cream. No crap. She didn't sit still for a WEEK...

Thanks for the offer (you too, Ryalyn), but my sister found a store with import food from the US and said she'd get me some "loot", I'm not sure about the Cadbury eggs though...

We have something called Mikado which as far as I know is pretty close to Pocky!
:)

I've seen something called Lindt chocolate bunnies in a store, has anyone tried them?
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby luchog on Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:49 am

Llewellian wrote:I dont know if you know "Nutella" in America, its a kind of chocolate cream for your toast.

It's actually hazelnut butter with cocoa. And incredibly yummy, with so many different uses.

kinako mochi wrote:And the sticks are Pocky! My fave is Almond Crush.

I don't think I have a favorite Pocky. I like them all. If I had to choose, I'd go with the plain chocolate Pocky in the giant "beat horses to death with these things" size.

Lugnut wrote:We're making truffles this weekend, I'm going to use cayenne in some of 'em. Debating how I could get some habanero into 'em...we shall see

Now that sounds yummy. The best way to do the Habaneros would be to use fresh ones, roast lightly, and scrape the pulp off the skin. Add the pulp to the melted butter before mixing in anything else.

And WEAR GLOVES WHILE DOING THIS! I pretty much always wear latex gloves when working with any peppers hotter than a serrano.

kinako mochi wrote:Melted. Ghirardelli. Dark. Over. Breyer's. Grand. Vanilla. Bean.

For true decadence, Valrhona 70% chocolate sauce (melt chocolate and stir into heated heavy cream), with fresh black raspberries or wild blackberries, over Haagen Dazs French Vanilla.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tanukitsune on Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:58 am

I just bought a Lindt bunny and hmm... I'm in heaven!
But the bunny was so cute I could barely eat it! :P

BTW, have you even tried to put a teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of vanilla in a cup of hot chocolate? :wink:

(We need a drooling avatar)
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby kinako mochi on Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:35 am

Llewellian wrote:@Kinako:

Nutella with some spoons of Rum (stir it until its a good cream again) and pour that over the blackberries and the Vanilla Ice.

We're all going straight to Heck for this unparalleled decadence. :D

Awesome, Llewellian! This I MUST try.

Hmm. My buddy has some Pernod, which I absolutely love (in spite of its infamous reputation, it's a nice sipping drink composed, and never gives me a headache, even 375 mL at a time once, oops. :o ). I may try that with my melted Ghirardelli and some French vanilla (only appropriate :) ) and see if it's either craptastic or fabulous.

Lunchog wrote:Now that sounds yummy. The best way to do the Habaneros would be to use fresh ones, roast lightly, and scrape the pulp off the skin. Add the pulp to the melted butter before mixing in anything else.

And WEAR GLOVES WHILE DOING THIS! I pretty much always wear latex gloves when working with any peppers hotter than a serrano.

Precisely-habanero juice can easily chemically burn you.

My bud CJ makes what we call 'crack dip', because its so addictive. It's basically a fresh pico de gallo with sea salt and two habaneros in it. He only serves it with his fresh green onion/garlic dip because it lights off about three chips in
Last edited by kinako mochi on Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Llewellian on Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:19 pm

@Kinako: Well, Pernod is something fine to drink - even if it reminds me on medicine.

@Tanukitsune: I bet you have seen these Lindt Bunnies:+

Classic german chocolate bunnies. Very yummy. By the way: If you can get ever a hand on it...try these:

Different big Eggs out of dark chocolate, filled with a yogurt cream in the taste either of strawberry-rhubarb or raspberry-vanilla. To die for.
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tanukitsune on Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:46 pm

Yep! That is the bunny! I tried one this afternoon and it was delicious! :D
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby kinako mochi on Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:35 pm

Llewellian wrote:@Kinako: Well, Pernod is something fine to drink - even if it reminds me on medicine.

Yeah, the anise and the huge alcohol content makes it somewhat a harsh drink, until mixed with water and a sugar cube soaked in Pernod then set aflame for a few seconds
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:01 pm

Llewellian wrote:Image

Different big Eggs out of dark chocolate, filled with a yogurt cream in the taste either of strawberry-rhubarb or raspberry-vanilla. To die for.

Ooooooooooh!

Faints
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Anonymous#1 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:00 pm

Did someone say twinkee?

I have one of those for a door stopper...
I know what random is, and this isn't.

The fact that you joined the bandwagon of something that was created 3 years ago, something that got old and boring after 2 years of existence, and provided no new original material shows your inexperience with the internet as a whole.

Random can only come from inside yourself, something that no one else has ever seen or thought of. Prancing about with the creations of others that have been well documented will surprise no one but the most ignorant of fools.
Anonymous#1
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Llewellian on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:22 am

@kinako:

Yeah Ouzo ;o). A must if you go out for a greek diner. And great on Parties too.

Do you know the "torturra del draco"? The torture of the dragon.... a really nice and totally dumb test of courage on a party...he he he... all you need is a bottle of Ouzo, a sponge, cinnamon powder and a lighter...

Sit in a chair, flip your head back, till you can look to the ceiling, fill your mouth up to the teeth with Ouzo, then take the wet sponge and clean your lips (so they dont get burned).

Take the lighter, inflame the Ouzo in your mouth. Then close your eyes, while another person lets fall a handfull of Cinnamon Powder over your face. Normally, the powder will be instantly enlightened in a fire cloud (powder explosion). Then close your mouth and swallow.

Very very dumb. But very known in Kroatia and southern Italy ;o)))). You can find it on any party there...
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby luchog on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:44 pm

kinako mochi wrote:Hmm. My buddy has some Pernod, which I absolutely love (in spite of its infamous reputation, it's a nice sipping drink composed, and never gives me a headache, even 375 mL at a time once, oops. :o ). I may try that with my melted Ghirardelli and some French vanilla (only appropriate :) ) and see if it's either craptastic or fabulous.

Never been much of a fan of anise and chocolate, myself (tastes kinda vile to me). I prefer something like Grand Marnier or Kaluha. One of these days, I'm going to whip out my handy little state-of-the-art ice cream maker, and whip up some absinthe and single-malt scotch flavoured ice creams.

My bud CJ makes what we call 'crack dip', because its so addictive. It's basically a fresh pico de gallo with seat salt and two habaneros in it. He only serves it with his fresh green onion/garlic dip because it lights off about three chips in–and boy does it hurt to get habanero in a cuticle. :o

Roasted serrano, mmmm. Here we go again ! :D

Actually, it's Luchog, not Lunchog. Irish Gaelic for "mouse".

Sounds awfully nice. Now i'm craving something like that with a big batch of seviche.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby azalea2 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:07 pm

I've got a yummy recipe for honey-whiskey ice cream...
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:48 pm

luchog wrote:Never been much of a fan of anise and chocolate, myself (tastes kinda vile to me). I prefer something like Grand Marnier or Kaluha. One of these days, I'm going to whip out my handy little state-of-the-art ice cream maker, and whip up some absinthe and single-malt scotch flavoured ice creams.

Just so we understand each other, Pernod IS absinthe, which is heavily anisette, no disrespect intended.

I used to be a barista at a local coffee shop here, Java Centrale, and used to make this huge hipster espresso drink called the Blue Snowflake. Six shots of espresso, Ghirardelli white choclate and half-and-half over ice with a full ounce each of anisette and peppermint Torani flavors. Candy kids tore. it. UP
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:53 pm

azalea2 wrote:I've got a yummy recipe for honey-whiskey ice cream...

Oooh! Share-share! :D
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to The Wapsi Pub