Music!

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Music!

Postby Madhatter45 on Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:03 pm

Hey everbuddy! I was just curious as to what kind of music everyone enjoys. I personaly love rock music and listen to the counting crows, aerosmith and a local band called auryn. http://www.myspace.com/popup.html?num=2 ... 509&uid=-1

this is a URL to some of Auryns music if anyone cares to take a listen? So what do YOU listen to?
Gandalf didnt make the horses appear from the river water. That was Arwen, Steven Tyler's daughter. Only the power of the house of Aerosmith could control the elements like that.
Madhatter45
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tanukitsune on Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:48 pm

I consider myself a musical nimrod, but I liked the link to Auryns...

Like I said I never considered me much of a muscal man, I do have music, nearly all soundtracks of videogames that came with a Collector's Edition, but I do actually have other musical CDs, like Pac-Man Fever (Duh?), Daft Punk and They Might Be Giant in antholgies/collections....

They Might be Giant is my favorite group, but I also like Daft Punk, Minibosses and Machinae Supremacy....

Which reminds me, there is this game called Nitro Family with the coolest soundtrack I've heard in years, with several punk and rock groups in it, one of them is called Bolbox Rex, I must find out more about these groups... :P
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby Madhatter45 on Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:52 pm

Hey I like they might be giants too! I haven't heard them in a while though =/ Glad you liked auryns stuff. and the mini bosses are awesome lol.
Gandalf didnt make the horses appear from the river water. That was Arwen, Steven Tyler's daughter. Only the power of the house of Aerosmith could control the elements like that.
Madhatter45
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fhqwhgads on Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:36 pm

Uh oh. I was a music theory major in college. :o

The answer to this one is gonna take me a couple of days. I'm gonna have to get back to you... :roll:

TMBG is a "two thumbs up" for sure though. Their first album rules, I liked Miscellaneous T and Flood and John Henry lots, and their puppet stuff and the Experimental Film video on Homestar Runner are hilarious.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fhqwhgads on Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:34 pm

OK, let's try this again. (I started writing this last night and got 99.8% finished before accidentally deleting it. Whee!) :roll:

So TMBG, yeah... Mostly I like music that's hard. That takes more than one listening for you to figure out everything that's going on in it. I was a HUGE Zappahead all through college. Bestest BEST group of humans he ever put together was the early 70's Roxy group (George Duke, the Underwoods, the Fowlers, etc. Depending on what mood you catch me in, it's either that or the Synclavier stuff. Civilization Phaze III is arguably the best album in existence, ever. Meets the Mothers of Prevention had a couple of winners on it, too. Actually any Synclavier album is a good bet. Except for Francesco Zappa which, while I got his point, was still teh suxx0r. (Sorry if you like it...) *shrug* 'Sides that, Indian classical is awesome. I'm all over L. Shankar. No, no relation to Ravi. He plays this 10-string, double-necked electric violin that makes for a really unique sound. The only player I've ever heard who was remotely like it was Jean-Luc Ponty. Shankar and John McLaughlin got together in the early 70's to form this jazz-Indian fusion band called Shakti. Astonishing stuff. I've never heard anything like it before or since. One thing that could be construed as sort of on the same wavelength is this group of east-European gypsies led by a clarinetist: Ivo Papsov and His Bulgarian Wedding Band. Which sounds like a David Letterman joke but actually it's basically what happened when electric instruments crossed back over the Atlantic and got entangled in the local cultural scene. So I guess you'd say jazz-world fusion is a big deal in my life.

Oh, and another project McLaughlin had before Shakti was called the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Billy Cobham on drums, Jan Hammer (of Miami Vicefame) on keyboards, Jerry Goodman on violin, Rick Laird on bass. Phenomenal group. Anything with McLaughlin in it is pretty much a sure bet.

And then there's King Crimson, Fripp's Crafties, Yes, Rush, anything with Bill Bruford in it, anything with Tony Levin in it (the BLUE (Bruford-Levin Upper Extremities) project was fantastic), California Guitar Trio, Dream Theater, TSO, Echolyn, The Dixie Dregs (NOT the Dixie Chicks thank you very much), old Genesis (as in back when Peter Gabriel was singing lead), Gabriel's solo stuff, Gentle Giant, Bubblemath (fun fact: I used to play drums for Bubblemath in '97-98 back before they got a real drummer and cut their first full-length album), Dean Magraw, Ruth MacKenzie, a project Magraw was in in the mid-nineties called Eight-Head with Jim Anton on bass and Marc Anderson on drums/percussion...

Who else... Jaco, duh. Pat Metheny, duh. Wes Montgomery. Michael Manring. Geddy Lee. John Myung. Les Claypool. Stuart Hamm. Victor Wooten is just an alien. I can't even call that guy an influence he's so far over my head. Tony Levin. Pete Novembre. Daniel Fusco. Mike Gordon. L.A. Guitar Quartet. Julian Bream. Segovia. Leo Kottke. Johnny "Guitar" Watson. Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown. Terry Spence. Fernando Ortega.

Aaand...Doyle Dykes, Dennis Agaganian, Kevin Gales, Riley Armstrong, Relient K (love love love), MXPX to a certain extent, Scott Anderson (aka Twitch), P.O.D., Newsboys, Tommy Walker and the C.A. Worship Band, East West, Danny Donnelly, Jeremy Camp, Lincoln Brewster (!), anything Hillsongs puts out, Jars of Clay, Margaret Becker's pretty good, any Passion album, Sonic Flood's first album, Ten Shekel Shirt, The Sonflowerz (altho I'd like 'em a lot better if they'd fire their daddy and get a real producer), Third Day for sure, did I mention Hillsongs? :wink:

*yawn* That's all I can think of at the moment. I wish I hadn't nuked my first post, it was lots more coherent. Maybe I'll write more later. 'Night.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Madhatter45 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:10 pm

Holy cow....that is a whole lot of music! I am just now discovering music I can really enjoy. Unlike a lot of the dreck that is called music today (good charllote? Nooooooooooo thank you!) I'm discovering local bands are a pure source of music. These guys aren't playign show after show for the money, they do it for the love of playing music. I feel a lot of bands these days have lost sight of what they used to play music for, the fans. One of the biggest dissapointments of my life were when the Barenaked Ladies sold out. Their original 3 albums were pure listening enjoyment...and then came Stunt. Their first album, Gordon, had the jewel Brian Wilson embedded within. The payed homage to one of the greatest musicians ever with a song that a lot of people could relate to. What do they have now? A freaking song about monkeys (another postcard is the title). I'm not tryign to trash the music biz, but something needs to change. A person can only take so many remakes and bubble gum pop songs before they go postal. (if this doesn't make any sense I apologize i haven't slept in over 48 hours) I guess what I'm trying to say is just support your local music scene and find something different than the schlock that the riaa is trying to push on us now. Oh and fhqhgads you have AWESOME taste in music my friend.
Madhatter45
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mravac Kid on Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:16 pm

Oh my, that's a detailed description... :)

I won't even try to do something like that. I'll just say I prefer rock, with tendencies towards metal, but I also like the great classical composers, and some 80's pop.
My favorite bands and performers are (in no particular order) Queen, Europe, Iron Maiden, The Beatles, Bon Jovi, Joe Satriani, Chuck Berry...
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fhqwhgads on Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:41 am

Mravac Kid wrote:I also like the great classical composers

Aye. Through Zappa (and some enforced music history classes as well) I became rather fond of early 20th-c. Russian composers. Stravinsky and Mussorgsky mostly.

Right now I'm listening to J-Treds "Make It Happen" that my son threw at me. I like it. 'Course I tend to view rap/hip-hop as more of a lyrical form than a musical form however...
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:23 am

Och, lots of great music.

I've been somewhat of a pop music nerd in my life, diametrically opposed to a music god. Well, okay a nerd period. :D So my choices have been anything that moved me when I heard it. I don't actively seek music, but when it finds me, I remember it. :)

Not unexpectedly, these choices are all over the place. I don't claim to know music very well, but know what I like:

- Stevie Wonder, esp his early stuff
- Eric Satie (Trois Gymnopedies)
- Yann Tiersen (composer of the music in Amelie)
- Steely Dan (Any Major Dude is my fave)
- Led Zeppelin (mostly I through Zoso)
- The Police
- Soul Coughing, first album
- John Williams' movie scores (Duel of the Fates is a rare Prequel asset)
- Diana Krall (S'Wonderful is beautiful)
- Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major as played by Yo-Yo Ma
- In the Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg
- Zap Mama
- Louis Prima (go-go, King Louie!)
- Charlotte Church (She Moved Through the Fair, La Pastorella)
- Miles Davis (all of E.S.P., Kind of Blue)
- Tan Dun
- Cibelle
- Future Sound of London (Lifeforms I and II)
- Rush's YYZ and Red Barchetta (Neil Peart is an accomplished gearhead)
- Lots of songs from the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks (Yoko Kanno is brilliant)

And on and on. Sorry if some of these made you make a crinkly lemon face. :D
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Madhatter45 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:05 pm

Dude Kinako! I completley forgot about Yoko Kano and the seatbelts! Thank you for reminding me! I need to go dig their cds out of my music trunk.
Madhatter45
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:50 pm

Hahahaha, yep those Seatbelts are Sean-Connery-Bond cool. :D

Oddly enough, my favorite CB songs aren't with the Seatbelts. Songs like Fantaisie Sign, Green Bird, and Cats on Mars are sans the 'Belts. Rush was, however, the song I used to set my stereo to wake me up with to do pushups. :D

My favorite Cowboy Bebop CD is 'music for freelance'. I used the Fe/DJ Vadim Remix to accompany an iPhoto slideshow on a trip I took to the Pima Air & Space Museum down in Tucson, AZ. Lots of grounded and decaying warbirds of all kinds, in the cloudless October sky, including the famous SR-71 Blackbird, with that music as the background. Eerie. :D

The Piano Black remix is also really nice when I'm trying to get my creative juices flowing, and it's raining outside. :)
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Madhatter45 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:29 pm

Yeah that is a good cd. I am STILL rummaging through my cd trunk (i have a giant trunk filled with nothing but cd's heheh) in hopes of finding my seat belts cds. I have had no luck thus far =/ I did find some old school aerosmith stuff and my signed clapton cd =D (yes i know it should be put up somewhere but i just recently moved)
Madhatter45
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Stefka on Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:26 pm

The short answer: Anything but rap.

Really. The folder o' CDs currently in the car includes folk, classical, shanties, several varieties of rock, country, punk, bagpipes, fife and drum and assorted mixes.

And to be honest, I even like rap, if it's not all full of obscenities.
----------
I have been one acquainted with the night

Journalism: It's not just a job, it's a diagnosis
Stefka
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Llewellian on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:00 pm

Well, mostly 70, 80ies, some newer stuff, some older...

Rock:
Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Yello, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins (the 80thies things, not the new ones), Blue Oyster Cult, Lynard Skynnard, Asia, Credence Clearwater, Queen, Genesis, U2, Doors, Molly Hatched, Foreigner, Simple Minds, Tina Turner, Billy Idol, The Who ....

Electro:
Jean Michel Jarre, Anne Clark, Depeche Mode, OMD, Mike Oldfield, Kraftwerk, Front 242, Goethes Erben, Rammstein, Das Ich, Engelsstaub, Project Pitchfork, Massive Attack, Prodigy

Metal:
Metallica (old things), AC/DC, Sodom, Iron Maiden, Running Wild, Dio

Other: Duran Duran, China Crisis, Human League, Ultravox and things like that (got some samplers here)....Shakespeare Sisters, Erasure, Army of Lovers, Midnight Oil, Dead can Dance, Michael Jackson (i love his Thriller Album) ....and so many others like the Muffs and and and...

Oh...and then the good old german pop, Political Protest and NDW like Nena (known in the US for 99 Ballons), Ton Steine Scherben, Hannes Wader, Groenemeyer, Grauzone, Konstantin Wecker

It defenitly helps to work for a firm that sells media. Freebie Keepie ;o). And what my CD and Vinyl Collection does not cover, therefore i have Online Radio ;o) And to be honest, sometimes i listen to newer music. You cant escape MTV or your Car Radio (when to have to wait for the traffic news). And i have definitly some bands that i really like that are of newer Date like "Blue Man Group". And i tend to listen to some of the strangest things on this planet. I know that other ppl dont like it or do not understand:

Songs of Tuva (Mongolian Overtone Chants), Songs of the Aka (Pygmeean Chants of Africa), Bulgarian Voices (Female Overtone Chants - thats the sound you hear on the Akira Anime OST), Japanese Kodo Drums, Anime & Film Soundtracks; Mediaval Music.

And sometimes (if Work on the PC gets really tough ans stressful with a time limit), then i hear on my headphones extremly loud Gabba, Schranz or Speedmetal/Electro Crossovers like you can find it on the Spawn OST: Slayer vs. Atari Teenage Riot or Metallica vs Dj Spooky or Rage against the Machine vs. The Prodigy.

And if you have ever heard some japanese DJ Mixups of german Kids-Techno like the Gabba Versions of Bluemchen or Marusha....and found yourself singing to the Speed Version of "Over the Rainbow" or "Herz an Herz"..then you now that the stress and coffeine rush really got you. But it helps to stay cool. Even if your boss comes to your cubicle and makes a questioning face...
Nothing is as bad as it looks on the first view...
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:14 pm

That's eerie, Llewellian. Your '70s/'80s selection looks nearly identical to mine. :o

Hey since you are where you are, Llewellian
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Llewellian on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:55 pm

well kinako, i
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:23 am

Thanks for trying, Llewellian. It was worth a shot. I really used to go places in my head, without drugs or alcohol or anything else external, with that CD. Proof that I really didn't need them to create my work. :)

All of the music in my prior list I choose from when I want to evoke a certain feeling. Usually I'm working or trying to draw something while this is on. Lately I've been listening to Mystic Radio or BassDrive on iTunes radio for my set-and-forget creative muse music. :D
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Llewellian on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:35 pm

Well, if you really want to go to "other" places without drugs...try these:

Or the "Drummers of Burundi".

Hell, i saw them live - with the Aka Pygmees on their european tour...whoa that was some music really strange. Even stranger, since the Aka do not know the word for "mine", "yours" or even money, they work for 40 kilos of honey (in the waxcombs) per gig. Fortunately they are supervised by the Unesco so that the money they earn goes to the right places for their folk.

Totally strange.

The other really "trip" thing is "Sounds of NASA: Recordings of the Hull Microphone from Voyager 1 as passing Jupiters Magnetic Fields".

Normally the Hull Microphone is only for detecting hits by micro and nano meteorites. But the magnetic fields of Jupiter inflicted some very strange vibrations on the hull... and that sound is very...very strange. The record lasts over 2 hours... and not one single note is repeating. Just plain space sound...
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:14 pm

Do you know if the NASA collection is a rare recording or not? I'd like to pick that up sometime. If anything, I could use samples of it with GarageBand. ;)
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Llewellian on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:39 pm

Here you go :o). No Advertising, but it was the only source i found over Google:

Symphonies Of The Planets: NASA Voyager Recordings Complete Box

Or as Single disc (2,3,4 and 5 are sold out):

Symphonies Of The Planets 1 - NASA Voyager Recordings

If you go to a music store, look for this cover:

By the way: If you can get a grab on it - this thingy has a nice sound too:

Nasa Space Sound - Celestial Love Songs

Thats the "sound" downmix of the great Radio Telescopes. Have you seen "Contact"? Where Jody Foster sits on her car and listens to that "white noise"? Well... this is the "cleaned" version. Only the radio signals of Stars, Galaxies and Things like that, without the broadband noise... sounds very nice.

[/url]
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fhqwhgads on Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:44 am

Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JiveBlues on Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:42 pm

I like just about anything. It drives my wife nuts. But my favorite format is a cappella music (voice without instrument accompaniment ). I love natural voice harmonies. I tend to prefer contemporary a cappella, but have a fondness for barbershop and do wop as well. I keep on wanting to build my a cappella collection, but other things always seem to come first. I really enjoy the group Rockappella, but am not as big a fan of the current incarnation. (Anyone used to see them on the "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego TV show?)

But just about anything else is good too. My range runs the spectrum from Anam/Enya to Sting to Weird Al Yankovic to pop, rock, some classical, a bit of country and so on.

JB
JiveBlues
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to The Wapsi Pub