Making Bras?

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Make bras?

yes!
86%
NO
14%

Total votes : 7

Making Bras?

Postby PrettyPrincess on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:10 pm

Now here's something I've been pondering.

Is it worth it to try to construct my own bras?

As a 34/36 H/I type person, buying them is impossibly expensive. But is making them impossibly difficult?
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby crypto on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:28 pm

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Use one that you find comfortable as a template, and use what ever fabric you like best.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby PrettyPrincess on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:36 pm

See that there is the problem. I've never found one that's been comfortable.

Well, I take that back. I haven't had a comfortable bra since I was a DD.

Most of the time I just wear those tanktops with a crappy shelf bra built in because at least they don't hurt.

I've got 2 nursing bras - one is the right size in the cups, but too big in the band - I took it in, but now all the hooks are falling out because I wore it so much. I'm defiantely not ready to try to make a nursing bra. Too many doo-dads. But you can nurse quite easily in a demi cup if you just fold down the top part. My other bra is too big in the band and WAY to small in the cup.

I'd rather buy a pattern and then try to size the cups up, but I'm not sure how that would work.

Since this is a bar, I'll take a Shirley Temple while I whine about how hard it is to find a good bra in Utah.
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby crypto on Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:45 pm

Try the nearest Victoria's Secret then. They might be able to help at least sizeing it properly.

Oh god, I have really got to start tuning Beth out when she's talking about her shopping trips. . .

Worse comes to worse, reduction surgery might help.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby azalea2 on Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:49 pm

Fuck no, avoid VC at all costs for sizing. The don't know shit about anything above a C.

Use the internet. The internet is your friend.
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby pablo on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:00 pm

The last place you ever want to go if you need a bra is VS. Most of you have already seen Cat's site, but i'll link to it anyway. :D
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby azalea2 on Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:24 am

Ah, that made me think of something. Standard underwire bras look like they would be a real pain to make, but bras like the ones from Decent Exposures (here or here) look relatively simple to make, even for nursing bras.
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lugnut on Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:17 pm

My mom had Gastric Bypass surgery last year, so she's now a D, but pre-surgery she was a DDD or up...she bought these racerback microfiber bras from Wacoal. She still swears by them. I'll see if I can get a product number or something from her. They make up to large sizes, and while they are a teensy bit pricey, hers would still be holding up perfectly if she hadn't lost so much weight. The bra itself is a racerback style with a plunge cup (looks almost halter-style), but I'm sure they have it in a regular two-strap deal. It's got a 'soft' underwire, too. I'll bug her in the morning for more info.
<The past is what makes us careful with the future>
Lugnut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby amazon princess on Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:15 pm

Lucky me, I can find my size most of the time. I'm a 40DD and both of them are equal in size. Till now, I only had to have a bra made once. it was for a very sexy model. I bought three. they were expensive but well worth it.
amazon princess
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Stefka on Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:17 pm

Prettyprincess, in the interim, maybe you can get those bra extenders that are just the hooks, which some people buy to enlarge the band on a bra. You could stitch them firmly down over the current hooks, or use them to replace the hooks, while you're looking.

I wish I could help you find what you're looking for. I can't get any two people to agree on my size, and I've been making do for ages.
----------
I have been one acquainted with the night

Journalism: It's not just a job, it's a diagnosis
Stefka
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MrEff on Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:29 am

Here's what I've found.... so far.... I've several lady friends of the "ultra-busty" persuasion.... and I've found that if you find the right bra, then you should get the adequate support you need.... Too many are tricked into reduction surgery IMHO.....

So after reading your post Princess.... and scooping my brain back up... I ve found this site... Bigger Bras There's a search box near the top of the page.... if you go by size they have 34/36 H/I's.... and in some pretty designs too!

I hope this was a help.... i'll keep my ears to the ground for anything else...

-MrEff-
Live life at Benny Hill "freak out" speed

MrEff
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby PrettyPrincess on Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:38 am

Lugnut wrote:My mom had Gastric Bypass surgery last year, so she's now a D, but pre-surgery she was a DDD or up...she bought these racerback microfiber bras from Wacoal. She still swears by them. I'll see if I can get a product number or something from her. They make up to large sizes, and while they are a teensy bit pricey, hers would still be holding up perfectly if she hadn't lost so much weight. The bra itself is a racerback style with a plunge cup (looks almost halter-style), but I'm sure they have it in a regular two-strap deal. It's got a 'soft' underwire, too. I'll bug her in the morning for more info.

These sound comfy - I'd like to know more :-D
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kestralyn on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:43 am

There are some good links in the "The Real Monica" thread on the main Wapsi board, if I remember correctly.

You've probably looked at all of them, but just a thought.
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DeaExMachina on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:45 pm

Disclaimer: I don't have a lady to make bras for, but if I did, I would.

In pretty much everything in this world, custom built is almost always better. Sometimes you have to go through many prototypes before you discover the right fit, but ultimately once you get the right fit, it's golden. Now mind you, I'm the kind of person that, given the chance, would dive head first into the challenge of building an entire car to my personal specifications; but compared to that bras are signifigantly less complex.
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby PrettyPrincess on Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:17 am

Welp, I just bucked up and bought an Enell bra which is supposedly the most bestest sports bra ever. I'm going to wear it into the ground, then 6 months from now when all the stitching is unravelling, I'll take it apart and attempt to duplicate it.

Since I just took up bellydancing, I'm going to need more than one, and in pretty fabrics, if I want to do any performing. So this is as good an opportunity as any to try to deconstruct a bra. I figure even though the Enell has a lot of pieces, at least I'm not fiddling with underwires and buckles. If I can successfully build me a renfaire bodice, I should be able to duplicate this bra. And if this one works out, then I'll try to draft me a modified version of one with underwires and all that rot. Fixing band sizes is easy - it's the multi-piece cups that have got my mind twisting in circles.

Trying to cut a flat piece of material to fit a round shape isn't as easy as I initially thought!

Now if only knitted fabric was more supportive - I recently learned how to knit with short row shaping, which allows you to knit for busts. But it's so stretchy there's no support whatsoever.

Hmm, and here's where the free-form thought pipes in - try crocheting a bra in heavyweight cotton? It might be kind of bizzare looking, but if it was a garment of its own, it might be interesting. Crocheting does allow for a more custom sculpted type fabric... Hmmm. I suppose I could make 2 "hats" and then connect em in the middle and crochet straps for it.... Hmmm. This idea has potential.
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ryalyn on Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:28 am

PrettyPrincess wrote:I suppose I could make 2 "hats" and then connect em in the middle and crochet straps for it.... Hmmm. This idea has potential.

:) This idea makes me giggle. If you do this, will you show a picture of the end product? (Not necessarily on--I just want to see what the bra would look like.)
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby DeaExMachina on Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:03 am

PrettyPrincess wrote:Hmm, and here's where the free-form thought pipes in - try crocheting a bra in heavyweight cotton? It might be kind of bizzare looking, but if it was a garment of its own, it might be interesting. Crocheting does allow for a more custom sculpted type fabric... Hmmm. I suppose I could make 2 "hats" and then connect em in the middle and crochet straps for it.... Hmmm. This idea has potential.
Keep up this thought proccess and you'll be fine. :wink:
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Stefka on Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:03 pm

PrettyPrincess wrote:Since I just took up bellydancing, I'm going to need more than one, and in pretty fabrics, if I want to do any performing.

PrettyPrincess, if you're going to perform, may I suggest making a choli or two (not the stretch-velvet kind)? I've seen authentic designs that are essentially sleeved bras -- quite pretty, entirely suitable and they provide the support you need. I'm planning to borrow a friend's pattern and size it up to myself (I'm a 44FF; it's tough to find the pattern in that size!) for re-enacting wear. She performs in hers, as does the friend who taught her both the pattern and the dancing. I have remind to remind her about the borrowing, but when I do, if you like, I'll copy it for you.

In the meanwhile, if you want to pursue the idea, these aren't the one she uses, but they do have functional choli:
http://www.folkwear.com/108.html
http://www.artemisimports.com/patterns.htm
----------
I have been one acquainted with the night

Journalism: It's not just a job, it's a diagnosis
Stefka
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to The Wapsi Pub