Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie!

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie!

Postby ParkRNDL on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:06 pm

So who's gonna go see this when it comes out in May? I read all the books numerous times in high school and college... can't wait to see if they do it justice...
--rick

The Wolfman is EVERYWHERE...
ParkRNDL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fhqwhgads on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:42 am

I'll go, for sure. With any luck it won't pull a Phantom Menace and sputter into oblivion... :-?

Actually I'm a little more optimistic than that. I'm even looking forward to this...
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:24 am

Raises her hand and jumps up and down excitedly.

Me! I am!! Yea!!!

I'm also excited about this!
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tanukitsune on Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:24 am

I have mixed feelings, I want to see it, but I'm not sure it will turn out OK...
Chris Barrie should have been Arthur Dent... :(
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby ajax on Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:41 am

Well, I certainly enjoyed the British TV series of many years ago, so I'll be seeing the movie. I wonder how they'll end it -- it was a problem that Doug Adams never quite solved imho. It always seemed like he lost interest and wandered away. :-?

Ajax
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
OK, even I have a LiveJournal now!
Read Schlock Mercenary -- in color, every day! Image
ajax
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fhqwhgads on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:21 pm

ajax wrote:I wonder how they'll end it -- it was a problem that Doug Adams never quite solved imho. It always seemed like he lost interest and wandered away.

Thank you for nailing that down. *That* is what has me worried, I just hadn't been able to pinpoint it yet. He could more or less get away with that in his books but a movie is not something you can can do that with, eh? :-? And the tighter they wrap the ending, the less canonical it becomes. That's a tight strait to cross my friend. I wish them the best of luck. :wink:
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby luchog on Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:41 am

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. Everything I've seen so far looks good (except I don't really care for the Marvin design); and the scriptwriter appears to be someone who could do justices to DNA's humour and style.

However, most cinematic adaptations in the past 10 years or so have been distinctly disappointing; particularly recently, with the butchered film version of Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events"; and the complete travesty that was Earthsea (the Sci-Fi channel should not be allowed to make any more movies/tv series').

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nowhere Man on Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:38 pm

ajax wrote: I wonder how they'll end it -- it was a problem that Doug Adams never quite solved imho. It always seemed like he lost interest and wandered away. :-?

Ajax

it's not that he lost interest.

HE DIED. :wink:

wasn't he working on a sixth one when he died?
Gotta machine head.

"A place where the beer flows like wine...
I'm talking about a little place called Aspen"
Nowhere Man
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Nowhere Man on Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:42 pm

luchog wrote:and the complete travesty that was Earthsea (the Sci-Fi channel should not be allowed to make any more movies/tv series').

You take that back!

*Fondly remembers Farscape, and the Stargate Serieses.*

That Farscape miniseries didn't really do it for me. I mean, I liked it and all, but they killed D'argo, and the whole thing just left me wanting more Farscape.

Earthsea sucked, compared to the book, same with the Riverworld movie/mini-series that Sci-Fi made.

Though, isn't that always the case? The movies always suck compared to the books. If there had been no Earthsea or Riverworld books, and just the movies, they would have been god-like.

$.2
Gotta machine head.

"A place where the beer flows like wine...
I'm talking about a little place called Aspen"
Nowhere Man
Junior Keenspotter

Postby azalea2 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:15 pm

I read that Ursula Le Guin was extremely unhappy with what happened to Earthsea...
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kestralyn on Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:29 am

azalea2 wrote:I read that Ursula Le Guin was extremely unhappy with what happened to Earthsea...

Here's the article she wrote for Locus (industry magazine) about it. And her page about it.

Given the overall track record for sci/fi books to film, I'm worried about HHGG.

Oh, and yes, Adams did die before completing book 6, but if you look at any one of the first three books, you'll notice that none of them actually conclude. They just end, sort of dribbling off into space and time. That's a problem he admitted to (and just listen to his editors!) with everything he ever wrote. He loved starting things, and just wasn't very good at finishing them. Very physicist of him (as opposed to an engineer)!
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:23 am

It is hard to end a story well, though. You have to find a way to wrap up the significant story lines in a way that's going to appease the readers and not drift away from the characters too much. I find that I'll love most of a book, until I get to the ending and then the ending will just stink to high heaven.

I wish there was a better trailer for the HHGG movie . . . .
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby daringarlyn353x on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:47 pm

that's great douglas adams rock!
http://orientpearls.blogspot.com/ - click here!
Checkout my crazy blog!~ updated 5times a week :)
daringarlyn353x
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby luchog on Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:30 am

Nowhere Man wrote:You take that back!

*Fondly remembers Farscape, and the Stargate Serieses.*

That just illustrates my point. Farscape, probably the best thing they've ever produced, got killed because they'd rather spend the money on lower-budget crap. And I was never impressed with Stargate.
Though, isn't that always the case? The movies always suck compared to the books. If there had been no Earthsea or Riverworld books, and just the movies, they would have been god-like.

No, not really. I haven't manages to sit through Earthsea, but from what i've seen of it, it looks like just another pile of fantasy cliches. Nothing terribly interesting about it. If it wasn't for the name, I wouldn't have given it a second glance. Same with Battlestar Galactica.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Guairdean on Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:58 pm

I'm looking forward to The Hitchhiker's Guide with some reservations. I was looking forward to I Robot, but I blew it off when I found out it was nothing more that another vehicle for some two bit actor to blow things up. I'm not sure why they used I Robot as the title.
The heart can perceive that which the mind cannot comprehend.
Guairdean
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Elliot on Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:20 pm

oo oo pick me!
Elliot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby NR Pax on Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:18 am

luchog wrote:That just illustrates my point. Farscape, probably the best thing they've ever produced, got killed because they'd rather spend the money on lower-budget crap.

Well, Farscape did cost a lot of money and Sci Fi doesn't quite have the money to compete with major networks.

If it wasn't for the name, I wouldn't have given it a second glance. Same with Battlestar Galactica.

My running joke about Battlestar Galactica was this: It has a wonderful script, powerful storyline and an excellent cast. In other words, it will be cancelled by the second season so Sci Fi can make way for the next reality show.

As for Hitchhikers Guide...I am skeptical. As for Fhqwhgads's statement, I agree. Having some kind of closure on the story will steer it away from the way it was written in the books. Therefore, I expect to hear the shrieks and wails of disappointed fans from miles away. 8)
Only a fool sees hardship as just wages for being different.
NR Pax
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Montanto on Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:42 pm

Guairdean wrote:I'm looking forward to The Hitchhiker's Guide with some reservations. I was looking forward to I Robot, but I blew it off when I found out it was nothing more that another vehicle for some two bit actor to blow things up. I'm not sure why they used I Robot as the title.

Good point but I Robot blew it for the me the minute I saw the title on the preview in conjunction with shots of robots attacking people. (It is a great turn off when creators show no indication of reading the source material) Hitchhikers however has me very up beat so far. Stephen Fry was born to play the guide and Alan Rickman makes a better Marvin then the original. Also most of the design work I've seen so far looks very sweet. Yes I am aware that the creation of a preview is an art unto itself with little to do with the actual movie but this is one of the first ones I've seen in a while that did not assume the viewers were idiots.
Montanto
Junior Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:45 pm

NR Pax wrote:My running joke about Battlestar Galactica was this: It has a wonderful script, powerful storyline and an excellent cast. In other words, it will be cancelled by the second season so Sci Fi can make way for the next reality show.

Pax, I like you am floored by the quality of the writing and of the unbelievable realistic qualities of the little things like dipping a wing, on Galactica (if no ex-military are involved in consulting on this show, I'll do twenty on the deck). They've definitely upgraded what was a cheesy Buck Rogers doorstop and made it into a bona-fide seat-of-the-pants thriller-drama. More than the space FX, though, the human drama's given center stage, as it should be, always. :)

Back on topic, HGTG should be a neat show. With so many opportunities to animate a cult classic and its effect on pop culture, surely a proper homage should be howling funny to watch. :D
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fhqwhgads on Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:36 am

Uh oh. Thunderclouds on the horizon...

Long review (SPOILER WARNING)

Short review (no spoilers)
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kestralyn on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:50 am

I just finished reading the long review, the short review, and the list of things not in the movie.

It sounds as though this is exactly what we were all dreading. sigh. I may just go home and throw my old radio show tapes in tonight.

And I have this awful pain in all the diodes down my left side.
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby luchog on Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:09 pm

Fhqwhgads wrote:Uh oh. Thunderclouds on the horizon...

Long review (SPOILER WARNING)

Short review (no spoilers)

I've heard that there's a rebuttal that makes the film sound much better than this does; but i haven't been able to find it.

Regardless, my cautious optimism just became a lot more cautious, and a lot less optimistic.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sionide on Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:34 am

I can't wait for this movie, but it *better* do the original series honour and not crap it up like the TV series did.
[ Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration ]
Sionide
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby reinder on Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:45 am

No matter what else one might think of his reviews, the writer, MJ Simpson, is very good about linking to other reviewers who disagree with him. He's one of those serious, responsible journalist types.
reinder
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sionide on Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:44 am

oh yeah, the fact that martin freeman is playing arthur hints towards good things! 8)
[ Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration ]
Sionide
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to The Wapsi Pub