So what ya into? (Your hobbies thread)

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Postby azalea2 on Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:30 am

50 lashes with a wet noodle for forgetting Stan Sakai!

SIP: yeah, okay, is has been dragging on and on. It's the first comic I got so into that i was buying it issue by issue, instead of waiting for the trade paperbacks, so I'm always going to have a soft spot for it. Also, i like how the people are drawn with realistic figures - little tummies on the women, and all.

Kabuki: as i said, Circle of Blood. He draws wonderfully, and does multi-layered storytelling. He makes full use of the comic medium (much as Jeanette Winterson makes full use of the written word medium).

Have you read any Lone Wolf and Cub? I've had several people recommend it, but have not read it myself.
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:10 pm

Kazuo Koike/Goseki Kojima's comic inspired the movie versions of the chars, which to me exemplify the books' Wolf amd Cub so well, they replace them. I saw the films (all of the flying limbs and pink mist and everything) at a young age, so when it came time to read the comic, it was kind of a letdown (the movies were so color-intensive it was difficult to accept b&w only).

More seriously though, what I like about LW&C the Manga, is the pacing, and the art. Koike was like many Japanese a victim of the war poverty and suffering following WWII, and he pretty much put that gravity into his writing, as did Kojima (Kojima cut his teeth doing kami-shibai, or street plays using manga sheets, for people too poor to buy manga, and kashi-bon, book rental for same
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JiveBlues on Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:46 am

Wow! Look at all the artists on the board. I have very little talent in that arena. My sister obtained all of my father's art genes in the family.

At this point in time my primary hobbies/interests are my wife, my two dogs, my house, and work.

When I'm not spending time with those, the rest of my hobbies are just about anything that is traditionally labeled "geeky". Things like comic books or video/computer games take up the majority of my remaining time. I've been addicted to both comics and games them since I was much younger (Pong, anyone?) I have a fairly large comic book collection and probably spend close to 10 hours a week playing video games (at least), which is really more time than I have to afford playing them. I also enjoy reading when I get a chance (mostly fantasy and webcomics).

Back when I was younger and had more time I also used to bowl a lot and play trumpet, but those two hobbies have fallen by the wayside in current years.

I think that covers my bases.

JB
JiveBlues
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby karlbob2000 on Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:40 am

Lessee, of course there's webcomics, or I wouldn't be posting here. I read sci-fi and fantasy, and occasionally nonfiction. I like to play with Photoshop, and several years ago I took a class in it at my local Community College.

I don't have the fast-twitch reflexes for most console games, but I have a serious addiction to MMORPGs*. I started with EverQuest, way back in '99, moved on to Dark Age of Camelot, then Star Wars Galaxies, and now I'm thoroughly hooked on EverCrack 2. At one point back in college I ran a Vampire LARP**, but I haven't done much offline role-playing (table-top or live-action) in the last several years.

Hi, I'm KarlBob, and I'm a foodie. I'm moving soon, and one of the things I'll miss most about Houston is the restaurant scene. This city has at least one prime example of virtually every cuisine on the planet. From the "carnirvana" of Brazilian Barbecue to the sheer fun of an all-fondue meal, Houston has it covered.

*MMORPG = Massively Multi-Player Online Role Playing Game.
**LARP = Live Action Role Playing
Later,
KarlBob
karlbob2000
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Burger Nerf on Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:59 am

HOST: And Harry, what are your hobbies outside summarizing?

HARRY: Well, strangling animals, golf and masturbating.

ANNOUNCER: Well there he goes, Harry Baggot. He must have let himself down a bit on the hobbies--golf's not very popular around here.

--Monty Python's Flying Circus

Sorry, saw the subject and had to cut and paste that.
Burger Nerf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ajax on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:35 am

Hey, KarlBob, where you moving to? Don't they have food there?
That would suck. I love food. I couldn't live without food.

Ajax
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
OK, even I have a LiveJournal now!
Read Schlock Mercenary -- in color, every day! Image
ajax
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to The Wapsi Pub