So what ya into? (Your hobbies thread)

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

So what ya into? (Your hobbies thread)

Postby Tanukitsune on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:16 pm

I'm surprised we didn't have one of these threads yet! Well we do now! :wink:
In case you haven't noticed, I'm a full fledged fanboy, I'm into the usual stuff, comics, but specially webcomics, B-movies (I get a kick from them, ok?) and martial arts movies (specially Jackie Chan), manga and anime (specially One Piece), fantasy and sci-fi novels (Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams), but my "main" thing is... gaming, and specially retro gaming and collecting them...
:P

I'm quite a pack rat, and I got quite a collection, it's a blessing and a curse, I'd have to live 200 years to play them all... :cry:

I kinda like cooking too...:oops:

Enough about me, ok?
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Oh, OK. I am a webcomic junkie, build model kits, play the guitar, have too little money to be a car nut, and spend way too much time playing games (mostly older ones).
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby ParkRNDL on Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:16 pm

HO scale slot cars--those little toy cars that run on the plastic track with the electric rails and the controller with the trigger. My favorites are the ones from the '60s and '70s, made by companies like Aurora, Tyco, Atlas, and Lionel (yes the train people). But I'll buy any of them that I find at yard sales and flea markets and thrift stores and what have you, no matter how old or who made them. A company called Johnny Lightning (who makes primarily diecast Hot-Wheels type cars) has started making replicas designed just like the old Aurora ones, and it's been a huge bonus for people like me who like the old cars. I have between 300 and 400 of these things total, all different types and brands and ages. I also have a track built on a 4x16 table with some model train scenery to make it look like a town.

Other than that, I love anything car-related, especially models and toys since I can't afford the real thing... I have close to a hundred model cars which I've kinda let sit since I got into the slot cars 3 or 4 years ago. I also have a real 1965 Chevy Impala in the garage that's rusting out from under its nice new coat of paint because I can't afford all the mechanical work it needs...
--rick

The Wolfman is EVERYWHERE...
ParkRNDL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby crypto on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Former Boy scout (Got to Life, second heighst rank, Ordeal member of the Order of the Arrow), so I sort of like to camp and do outdoory stuff as long as the weather is good.

I'm a web comic junkie, I'm also into fantisy and sci fi books and movies (Star Wars for the books mainly, just about anythign for the movies). Bit of an artist, though lately I haven't had any sketch I realy liked and finished. I also am rather good in the kitchen, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Also into RPGs, mainy forum/e-mail games.

I've also been sort of complemented that I'm good at getting into peoples heads and cutting through the BS. Ironicaly that came from Beth, (see Bartender and Cure a flirt) and phrased as "You should become a shrink and cure my friends problems.

And yeah, I'm a good friend.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tanukitsune on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:49 pm

Mravac Kid wrote:Oh, OK. I am a webcomic junkie, build model kits, play the guitar, have too little money to be a car nut, and spend way too much time playing games (mostly older ones).

Another fellow retro gamer! Nice! :D

I think we are all web comic junkies here.... :P
I have three Comic Alert accounts, and read over 70 webcomics (Way too many for my own good).
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby MrEff on Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:52 am

Hobbies eh? Well right now I'm currently engrossed in web comic I am drawing.... I'm loving the results I'm getting and I can't wait to get it off the ground for everyone else to enjoy.... other than that I play Magic: The Gathering, I collect records by th butt load (I used to be a DJ of the Techno sort and I do Own 3 turntables, one of which is a classic style cabinet player) Other than that I'm an X-box freak and I love the Anime (favorite being Fooley Cooley) ANd did I mention drawing?? I think thats about it but it's too early in the day to tell.... maybe I'll think of something else later.....

-MrEff-
Live life at Benny Hill "freak out" speed

MrEff
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:35 am

Let's see, my hobbies mainly include reading and writing. I love all sorts of books, from classical literature to science fiction to fantasy to myteries to plays and poetry. I've do quite a bit of writing, but I've still not managed to focus enough to edit anything to the point where I feel comfortable sending it out anywhere. I have aspirations to get a book deal or a magazine thing, but I'm not getting anywhere fast, much to my consternation.

Other than that, I enjoy spending time outside, running and kayaking and stuff like that, although I'm not very good at any of them. I'm increasingly involved with my church, attending a small group Bible study and other events with the women. I have a small group of girls from the college where I work who I sort of mentor, in a way. And I'm starting this thing with decorating lamp shades using beads and thread.

Oh, and I love cleaning and organizing. Absolutely love it. I got hired for my position because of it. People make fun of my house because it's so neat.

That's pretty much me. Pretty boring, eh?
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby luchog on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:06 pm

Computers. I'm working on building a sort of mini-ISP, including dialup, for friends to use, using Linux and whatever hardware I can scrounge. Mostly as a way of teaching myself system and network administration and security.

I read a lot, everything from Sci-Fi/Fantasy to classic literature, to Americana. Some of my favorite authors are J.R.R. Tolkien, Hunter S. Thompson, Mark Twain, Moliere, Stephen R. Donaldson, Alexandre Dumas (pere), and Neal Stephenson.

I read a number of webcomics regularly, with a very wide range of styles. Some of my current favorites are linked in a public LJ post. WARNING: Some of them contain NWS material.

I make chainmail; though I haven't had the time or energy to do much work lately. I have a large shirt that I'm almost finished with, and just need a couple days free time (yeah, like that's gonna happen).

I have a bunch of other hobbies, but i just haven't had the time or resources to pursue them lately. The one I miss the most is my photography.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ajax on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:15 am

Oy, I have so many interests that sometimes I think I'm going off in all directions at once! But hobbies...

Ham Radio is my oldest "real" hobby -- been at it since before most of you were born (I was first licensed as KN8ZHD in 1961). I like the technology as much as the on-the-air conversations. Currently most of my equipment is in storage, because of construction work on the house.

Early Television Technology is an ongoing hobby, with an accompanying website and collection. Again, I like the technology -- I don't actually watch much TV. The mix of technology and history is particularly satisfying.

As I said in another thread, I like Funny Little Cars, for no particular good reason, other than they're cute and sometimes clever. Hmm, more mixing of technology and history.

And I like to cook and eat; sing (Tenor) in the church choir; figure out how things work (including me); and (of course) read comics. I also like reading; Bunnies; old radios; bread; junk; and people.

Enough! :D

Ajax
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
OK, even I have a LiveJournal now!
Read Schlock Mercenary -- in color, every day! Image
ajax
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fhqwhgads on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:03 pm

Um. Crud. I dunno.

I play bass. Been playing for *counts on fingers* ...18 years I guess. I like it. I've got a Zon Sonus Special 6 string w/ an SWR vintage Redhead (I say "vintage" cause it sounds cooler than saying I've got the cruddy old 240 watt model when the new one is 400 watts). And one of these days I'm gonna have $6,000 all in one place and I'm gonna score me a Zon Hyperbass with the translucent charcoal finish and matching headstock and hipshot extenders on all four tuning pegs and maybe a hardshell case but I'll probably pay my buddy to build me a custom case that doesn't have the logo on it cause I really don't like to be conspicuous. (Why no, I don't obsess.) Mmmm...tasty. I pretty much just play at church anymore though. Never have enough time it seems like.

I do some other stuff too.

Oh I dig Gatchaman. I can even tolerate Battle of the Planets if you catch me in the right mood. Casey Kasem's voice is worth putting up with 7-Dork-7 IMO. But Gatchaman definitely takes it (like that's a controversial opinion). And I'm running a little business on the side that will have an internet portal up February 1, so I'm getting ready for that. And then the dayjob thing doing PC/LAN support for a 900-user call center. Which is pretty OK. I mean if you're gonna have a job you might as well be less than totally miserable showing up for it right? I gotta be up at 4:40 AM to get there on time though (I start at 6) and I'm a night person by nature. But oh well. Choose your mood right? Go Tina. :)

OK I'm done now.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Athena Lionfire on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:56 pm

Erm, I love reading (fantasy, comedy, mystery, horror, but no sci-fi) I love writing and am currently planning a book I actually plan to write and finish and if I'm lucky, publish *gasp*.
I enjoy singing and am quite good at it, I love Nightwish and Reel Big Fish and well Ska, Punk, Rock, Metal and Rat Pack music. (yeah I know the last one is a weird one)

I like drawing and am getting better so might eventually go back to college to do Art and Design (I quit college because i chose the wrong courses, luckily in england college is free so no waste of money) I'm still in two minds about the art and design thing because i also want to study classical civilisations and media studies...and i'm so confused over what to do that I want to scream a lot.

I love anime (my favourite is Trigun and Fruits Basket) and J-Pop and playing RPG's like Final Fantasy. Although I want to play Tales of Symphonia, my boyfriend is playing it and it temps me a lot.

Erm, I love movies, especially action movies, nothing sends shivers up my spine than a good explosion...(well a fake one anyway) although my fav movie is the last samurai, which has minimal explosions.

Oh and I also count my boyfriend as a hobby...and a full time job, he cant cook and if left to his own devices would just play games and draw all day...

So thats me in a nutshell...erm...yey... :P
"I cant pay for that I'm practically a hobo" Anime Arcadia
Athena Lionfire
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Kestralyn on Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:08 pm

My primary hobby is Middle Eastern dance. I like to focus on two facets of the dance; folklore and Raqs Sharqi. The folkloric styles are the more traditional dances you'd see if you went to a small village somewhere between Morocco and Turkey. Raqs Sharqi (translated as "Oriental Dance") is the glittery stage style of dance that Americans call Belly Dance. My avatar is from a Raqs Sharqi performance last summer.

Beyond that, I sew (costumes ain't cheap!) and I make my own beaded jewelry. Reading is a huge passion when I have time for it (sci-fi, fantasy, history of science). And an occasional cross-stitch project... not that I've ever actually FINISHED one.
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:15 pm

I wish I could see you dance sometime--I'm so fascinated by world-dance, but can't do it myself.

Also, do you have any beading tips? :) I'm new at this whole thing, but I'm having fun. Any books on the subject you recommend?
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby The_Stalker on Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:20 pm

I like cars alot, but cant afford to work on my baby right now ('62 Ford Falcon Futura Coupe). I carve gems and fossile ivory. I do some light jewellery work, even though Im not a very good Goldsmith or Silversmith. I cook well, but its all simple hearty homestyle food nothing fancy.

My biggest hobby besides webcomics though is role playing games especially table top and Live action (LARP). Its funny, Im not an actor and have no theatre training but I love Larp. Ive got a character Ive played every weekend for close to two years now that still refuses to die...
-Andrew "The Stalker" Watkins CI, Companion to Order of the Knights of Jubal. Proud Uncle/Son of Chade.
Recently revealed to be the leader of the elusive Board-queda organization.

2nd Place MR. CRFH 2005!
The_Stalker
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kestralyn on Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:06 am

Ryalyn wrote:I wish I could see you dance sometime--I'm so fascinated by world-dance, but can't do it myself.

Can't do it? Is that due to a lack of funds for lessons or a physical consideration? Depending of where you are in Georgia, there are some absolutely fantastic studios doing all sorts of different ME styles. Now if you're interested in African dance, I can't help you much. And I CAN'T do African; my joints just aren't up to it!

Drop me a private message if you want to talk about this further -- I'm always glad to get someone else hooked on my drug ;-)

Ryalyn wrote:Also, do you have any beading tips? :) I'm new at this whole thing, but I'm having fun. Any books on the subject you recommend?

What type of beading are you interested in? I do pretty much straight stringing for what I call "office-style" jewelry. If you're interested in weaving (on- or off-loom), I can point you to some resources, but I don't have much experience in it myself. I also have some experience doing bead embroidery on costumes, but I'm still pretty sloppy with that. Do have a couple of good book suggestions for that, though.

What's your pleasure, m'dear?
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:55 am

I've been trying to make interesting bookmarks with beads at the ends of a string, and I've been creating sparsly beaded fringes to hang off lamps. I'm looking to getting into the embroidery, but haven't gotten anywhere on that yet. :oops: I'm a dabbler, really, without a clue.

And my dancing situation is really a lack of grace and poise and opportunity. :)
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby luchog on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:57 am

Kestralyn wrote:My primary hobby is Middle Eastern dance. I like to focus on two facets of the dance; folklore and Raqs Sharqi. The folkloric styles are the more traditional dances you'd see if you went to a small village somewhere between Morocco and Turkey. Raqs Sharqi (translated as "Oriental Dance") is the glittery stage style of dance that Americans call Belly Dance. My avatar is from a Raqs Sharqi performance last summer.

Don't know where you're located, but if it's on the West Coast, you should check out the Mediterranean Fantasy Festival in Seattle. It's in mid-July, and dancers from all over show up. One of the largest belly/tribal/fusion-dance festivals in the US.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Stefka on Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:04 pm

The short-form answer to this question is "Yes."

I'm a historical re-enactor -- medieval, French & Indian and RevWar -- which acts as a nice overarch for lots of sub-hobbies: sewing, embroidery, weaving, quilting, research, trade beads, cooking, brewing, soapmaking, papermaking, herbalism, leather work, wood work, lampwork (glass + fire = pretties and beads) and blacksmithing. I'm also the only girl on the block who carries a scrimshaw tool in her backpack (my husband being the only boy on the block who does the same).

Add to those reading, writing, knitting, rug-braiding, miniatures (dollhouseish, not pewter gaming figures), oh, the odd roleplaying game, music, some computer games I could name and growing my hair as long as it will go, and I'm a very busy girl ... who, alas, can't put in as much time as I'd like on some of those because I have a job.

When somebody says, "You want to get together and do X?" I can usually say, "Yes." I may not be good at everything, but I'm interested in everything. "Specialization is for insects."

Anybody want to come out and play?
----------
I have been one acquainted with the night

Journalism: It's not just a job, it's a diagnosis
Stefka
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby EdSaari on Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:14 am

My profession and avocation is photography. Especially "Fine Art" Photography, and Art.
The other things I do, that I don't have a prayer of making money at - (like I'm filthy rich from photography) ....

Flyfishing, Cross-Country skiing (used to do Alpine, before it became so hyper), Target Shooting (Certified NRA Instructor for -- a whole bunch of years) Cooking, Eating, Drinking - Laughing, Playing - Getting caught in embarassing situations ... Sauna (built my own) ...

- Oh, let me count the ways ..
Carpe Erratum!!!
EdSaari
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby amazon princess on Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:49 am

Like tanukitsune, I love videogames too. But my collection isnt as vast as his.
I'm mostly into playstation. I also love to watch anime and japanese dvds. Loving to work with my hands, I do a lot of art using stuff people throw away. Its incredible the treasures you can find in some peoples trash. Recently, I made a lamp using an old mannequin with no arms.
amazon princess
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:54 am

amazon princess wrote:Recently, I made a lamp using an old mannequin with no arms.

Cool! Pictures, please??
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby amazon princess on Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:59 am

cool! picture please!

I dont have one but imagine this : Its a life size womens mannequin without any arms and head. Its looks like one of those greek statues. I sprayed it white. the color of purity.
amazon princess
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lugnut on Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:01 pm

amazon princess wrote: the color of purity.

Am I the only one who sees the irony? :wink:

Kidding AP...you know I love you. I'm sure it looks wicked. Best I ever did was a lamp out of a champagne magnum bottle.
<The past is what makes us careful with the future>
Lugnut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Hand puppets, but that I stopped doing about a year ago. Write. S'all. :D
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Madhatter45 on Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:25 pm

Uh. lessee...hobbies... I love to sing and write songs. I also paint pewter miniatures and play heroclix!
Gandalf didnt make the horses appear from the river water. That was Arwen, Steven Tyler's daughter. Only the power of the house of Aerosmith could control the elements like that.
Madhatter45
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to The Wapsi Pub