Let's play a game called: Who/What Is In Your Avatar???

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Postby azalea2 on Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:59 pm

It's a robot drawing by Sam Brown, who does exploding dog.
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Anonymous#1 on Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:55 pm

Wow, those are alot of images. Thanks for the link!
I know what random is, and this isn't.

The fact that you joined the bandwagon of something that was created 3 years ago, something that got old and boring after 2 years of existence, and provided no new original material shows your inexperience with the internet as a whole.

Random can only come from inside yourself, something that no one else has ever seen or thought of. Prancing about with the creations of others that have been well documented will surprise no one but the most ignorant of fools.
Anonymous#1
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby crypto on Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:52 pm

And for the last week I have had up my Valentine gift to Shir, "An Icky Valentine". Just a recolor of Little Icky.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby ajax on Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:44 am

I've changed my av to Plastic Guy, an engaging little dude from a British plastics manufacturer's (Lorival) ad from the 1940s. A good deal cheerier than my previous biker-bar-derived one.

Ajax
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
OK, even I have a LiveJournal now!
Read Schlock Mercenary -- in color, every day! Image
ajax
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby PrettyPrincess on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:08 pm

kinako mochi wrote:It's kinako mochi

I seriously thought it was flan con leche. And I as wondering why a japanese name went with a hispanic dish...
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kinako mochi on Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:58 am

Hehe, looking at the 'tar, it does, doesn't it? :D

I suppose I could try to find another, less-fancy pic of it, but then at 100x100 it'll look like a breaded chicken patty with chopsticks next to it. :)

Flan, mmm. Must get lunch now. :)
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby crypto on Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:51 pm

New Avatar!!! In Nan from El Goonish Shive. Sweet comic, go read.

Crypto, Web Comic Pimp.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby Llewellian on Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:02 pm

My avatar is the reborn "Dave" from the End of the psychodelic transfer through the black stone out of Kubrics 2001.
Nothing is as bad as it looks on the first view...
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tanukitsune on Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:37 pm

I changed my avatar to the symbol of the Undead Scourge, since I'm playing one in World of Warcraft now.... :P
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby DeaExMachina on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:34 pm

My Log On Name and Avatar match at the moment. "Dea Ex Machina" is suposed to mean "Goddess of the Machine". I'm not sure if Latin makes a distinction between "from" and "of." If you've seen "Serial Experiments: Lain" There is a chance you understand the conection and why I typed "Messiah" under the picture. It's 50% humor and 50% Anthropological observation.
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Elliot on Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:08 pm

It's MEEEEEEEEE!
Elliot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:44 pm

My avatar is my favorite Wapsi character, Tina.

She seemed to me to be one of those people who is either really putting on a great show when people are around and dissolve into their private misery while alone, or are genuinely happy and cheerful and don't see anything wrong with expressing it fully, and learning from the difficulties involved. From a lot of what she's said in the strip, I fully believe her to be the latter.

She reminds me of a lot of my friends growing up that were cheerful, laughing, happy kids at one point, then through whatever pressures and urge to integrate became the sullen, despondent, cruel, shallow, belligerent, antisocial, angry slice of young people that crowd every neighborhood of every town with a television or a computer. I feel really sad thinking that the brilliance and innocence of natural brightness gets called uncool or dorky or whatever negative labels happen to be in vogue, and stuffed into dark little holes in the back of one's mind, belittled, devalued, trite, and eventually forgotten.

As someone who's struggled with fighting for the right to such simple happinesses for so long, it's a nice feeling, if rare, to find someone strong enough to know what Tina's approach means, and fights the old ultra-violence to celebrate it against the endless chiseling galleries. To me, realizing this sort of attitude is the brightness that cauterizes the dark mass of old growth rot from supporting such invasive and deadly delusions any further, it gave me my life back.

People like Tina are unique and take the road less traveled, so I picked one of her signature panels as my new avatar. :)
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:47 am

My new av is from a picture done by Amy Brown. She's done lots of fantastic pictures of fairys. I have this weird thing where my self-image is that of a pixie. It's how I tend to see myself--small, playful, innocent, but also a troublemaker when provoked. :)

Anyway, that's what it is.
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fhqwhgads on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:30 pm

New av. Because this is how I look most days.

It's Jason!
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:12 pm

Awww. But I loved Magical Trevor!
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fhqwhgads on Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:05 am

Yeah, he's still around...maybe we'll unleash him again at some point. I have a whole stock of av's ready to go though...I'm thinkin' next up is the Darth Vader guy "fixing his light saber" by sticking a new fluorescent ceiling bulb in it. :lol:
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Anonymous#1 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:26 pm

Oh noes. No mo twevah??=0
I know what random is, and this isn't.

The fact that you joined the bandwagon of something that was created 3 years ago, something that got old and boring after 2 years of existence, and provided no new original material shows your inexperience with the internet as a whole.

Random can only come from inside yourself, something that no one else has ever seen or thought of. Prancing about with the creations of others that have been well documented will surprise no one but the most ignorant of fools.
Anonymous#1
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kinako mochi on Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:52 am

Just changed mine to something that I was delighted to find online
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:51 pm

Cool, Kinako! I love how the bell-house stands out from the lush greens. Beautiful!

I love Pablo's new pic, too!
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fhqwhgads on Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:49 pm

Yes...yes. New av time indeed, methinks.

This pretty much speaks for itself. I can just hear him grumbling under his breath. :D

And Kinako, that is gorgeous. :)
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:04 pm

Laughs

That's hilarious!
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby JiveBlues on Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:36 pm

Heh. This was an interesting thread to read from the beginning. Everyone kept referring to avatars that later on in the thread they'd changed.

My name and avatar? Long story. I used to play on MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons - a text based Everquest, essentially) a number of years ago. When I first started playing I had to come up with a name, and that was just the name that popped into my head. I actually didn't like it at first but I enjoyed playing the MUD and stayed long enough to be known by that name, and it stuck.

The avatar comes from the same situation. On the game you could change your title. But when you were present in locations that players could access, they would see just the title, and not your name. So I had a friend that used to put in his title "A leafy green vegetable" and so he would sit in areas players could access, and so they would try to pick up the leafy green vegetable and get upset when they couldn't. So when I finally was able to change my title, I followed their lead and selected an object that I enjoyed (a balloon) and colored it red. I changed it to my favorite color two days later and that has been my avatar ever since (going on fifteen years now...whoa!)

Probably TMI, but that's where it comes from.

JiveBlues
JiveBlues
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:20 pm

JiveBlues wrote:So I had a friend that used to put in his title "A leafy green vegetable" and so he would sit in areas players could access, and so they would try to pick up the leafy green vegetable and get upset when they couldn't.

That's hilarious! :D It's been so long since I MUDded. I did it for a while in 1997 or so, back when the Discworld MUD was still small. And then I ran out of time . . . .

Were there any of my other avatars that you'd like to see? I still have them around here. :)
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby JiveBlues on Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:10 pm

I like your current avatar, Ryalyn. I really like Amy Brown's artwork. And I'd love to see others that you had.

I MUDded for about six years, and actually ran a MUD for five years of the six I played.

JB
JiveBlues
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:36 pm

This was the first one I used--a stylized picture of me.

This is the first one I mentioned in this thread, I think.

And another made from a doll maker.

And I think that's it.
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to The Wapsi Pub