Internet zanyness! a.k.a. LOL! Look what I found!

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Postby Fhqwhgads on Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:47 am

Oh here ya go... Avoid the short bus. I passed the 3rd grade...barely. ;)
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MrEff on Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:52 am

Fhqwhgads wrote:Oh here ya go... Avoid the short bus. I passed the 3rd grade...barely. ;)

Hmmmm even tho I got them all right it still tells me The short bus is coming to get me..... [shifty eyes]

-MrEff-
Live life at Benny Hill "freak out" speed

MrEff
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ajax on Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:12 am

Help the VW get out of the parking lot:
http://www.javapelit.com/parkkipaikka/

Ajax
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
OK, even I have a LiveJournal now!
Read Schlock Mercenary -- in color, every day! Image
ajax
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby luchog on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:56 am

ajax wrote:Help the VW get out of the parking lot:
http://www.javapelit.com/parkkipaikka/

Wow, this thing is really sucking up my clock cycles. I'm up to level 9; but am having a little trouble figuring this one out. 8 took me two hours of sporadic checking (i do the puzzles as small breaks during work). This one is going to take me a bit longer, I think.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:24 am

Whoo-hoo!! I got all 12 levels!! Aparently all this problem solving is good for something after all. :)

The Cyborg Name Generator.

Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Oh NO.

Postby Fhqwhgads on Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:46 am

This is SO not right. (Live action; takes a while to load)

EDIT: Oh by the way:
This rocks. :lol:
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James D. Nicoll
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Llewellian on Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:31 pm

Nothing is as bad as it looks on the first view...
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Llewellian on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:16 am

Ok. This definitly is something i havent seen before.... using Super Soakers as a Flame Thrower:

http://gprime.net/video.php/supersoakerflamethrower
Nothing is as bad as it looks on the first view...
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Madhatter45 on Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:58 pm

Llewellian wrote:Ok. This definitly is something i havent seen before.... using Super Soakers as a Flame Thrower:

http://gprime.net/video.php/supersoakerflamethrower

Okay that is quite possibly the coolest thing I have seen in a good long while.
Gandalf didnt make the horses appear from the river water. That was Arwen, Steven Tyler's daughter. Only the power of the house of Aerosmith could control the elements like that.
Madhatter45
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:04 pm

Yeah, apparently BMW washer fluid is VERY flammable
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:27 am

I'm addicted to gprime now.

Especially the drum machine flash and the Puzzled Sheep game.

Wheee!!!! :D
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fhqwhgads on Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:57 am

*sob* I'M A SHEEP MURDERER!!! :cry:

Oh well. Lamb's pretty tasty. Specially in a gyro with cucumber sauce.

Mmmmmm.....gyros
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:59 am

Ryalyn wrote:Wheee!!!! :D

OOOOAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!1111 :D

The drum flash was an example of how imagination and a bit of technical knowhow make for the Wow. All the technical knowhow in the marble means zippo if you don't have a clear vision and a desire to stretch. And I'm such a sucker for the Cute, too. Duh, Japanese? *points at nose* :D

Yay! I'm a taiko fan as well! ;) Oh, in case you're wondering, the kanji above the tagline drummer at the beginning reads 'Tokyo Plastic'. :D
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fhqwhgads on Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:27 pm

kinako mochi wrote:Yay! I'm a taiko fan as well! ;)

Mmmmm....Kodo r00lz... :D

kinako mochi wrote:Oh, in case you're wondering, the kanji above the tagline drummer at the beginning reads 'Tokyo Plastic'. :D

...Aaaand yes I was. Thank you. :)
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kestralyn on Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:46 pm

kinako mochi wrote:Yay! I'm a taiko fan as well! ;)

Wow! That was so cool! Kinako, I don't know if you know of Fubuki Daiko (http://www.fubuki.ca/) out of Winnipeg, Manitoba, but they're really good.
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:18 pm

I'm a big fan of Kodo. Their stuff is the gold standard. Did you know to become a professional taiko drummer in Japan, you have to do everything outside of practice with your weak hand? In order to develop ambidexterity? Not only that, but some taiko performances are sitting in a half-situp position for many, many minutes, drumming furiously on top of that! They're in fantastic shape.

Twice a summer on Maui, there are o-bon festivals I used to attend with my family, the one in Lahaina with a taiko drummer. 'Yorokobi' from the Fubuki Daiko samples reminds me a lot of the beats I heard from that time. Doesn't it make you feel like kicking a knee up and waving your hands? Yorokobi means 'joy'. :D

I also am very viscerally moved by bells. Ringing the bell in the bell tower in my avatar, was the only time the kancho (archbishop) of Chozenji (at the time, Tanouye Tenshin Rotaishi, a fearsomely powerful martial artist and Zen master) complimented me in all of my fumblings at the dojo. Listening to hand bells(?) during the recent holiday season at the local botanical gardens was also an almost mystical experience. I think it has something to do with metal (my Chinese readings are heavily Metal). :)
Last edited by kinako mochi on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fhqwhgads on Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:37 am

Yeah, My wife and I got to see them live once when we were still living in Mpls. I saw them doing the half-situp stuff you're talking about...my abs hurt just watching them. :P

kinako mochi wrote:(my Chinese readings are heavily Metal)

I think I sat down and tried to figure mine out one time (years ago when I still in college) but don't remember the results. :-?
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kestralyn on Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:14 am

I got to see Kodo live a couple of years ago (we actually use one of their pieces as a fusion belly dance number -- always winds up with folks screaming!) and it was just amazing.

Fubuki Daiko has a different vibe, but they're marvelous. It is a more Western-ized show, simply because the performers are Western. But their sensai is a classically (is that the correct term?) trained taiko drummer from Japan, so they keep the spirit there. I wound up bouncing in my seat when I saw them live.

I've actually told my DH that if we ever wind up in a city with a dojo, we will be joining!
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:20 pm

Have I mentioned how much I like this doll maker?

Look! It's a sexy, spring-timey me!

Well, not exactly . . . . Anyway . . . .
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby kinako mochi on Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:05 pm

Yay! Cuuute! :D
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JiveBlues on Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:32 pm

Anyone seen this one? It's hilarious.

http://www.planearium2.de/flash/spstudio.html

It's a South Park model maker. You can create yourself as a South Park character!

JB
JiveBlues
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Burger Nerf on Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:22 am

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/angry2_road_safety

Pablo spanked me (again--I'm a bad dog) 'cuz I posted this at the regular forum. But I had to Google to find Wapsi Pub!

ANYWAY, this thing's had me giggling for nights now. If you've ever seen British (or any other country's) children's traffic-safety videos, other parodies ("Don't Drive Your Car On The Pavement" from The Young Ones comes to mind)--or if you just like Aardman Animation's other works, dig in.

I think it's a howl, and hope you like it.
Burger Nerf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fhqwhgads on Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:46 am

I was gonna post this earlier in the week but: Homestar goes nuts!

Creepy pants all the time get some! Everybody everybody longest pants! :lol:
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sionide on Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Possibly the most useful site on the Intarweb.

http://www.doineedajacket.com/

Do I Need A Jacket, tells you just that. You have to put your zip code in or nearest big city (for me London) and the site will tell you whether or not you need a Jacket. I mean, who cares about checking the weather forecast to see what exact temperature it is out?? No need, just need to know whether a jacket is needed :P Classic.
[ Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration ]
Sionide
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fhqwhgads on Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:24 am

Oh, now THAT'S a sweet link.

*wanders off singing "You should wear a jacket today..."*
Fhqwhgads
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to The Wapsi Pub