Has anyone actually ever...

A group of weekly cartoon shows on the internet backed by an internet company? It's like the dotcom boom all over again! Party like it's 1999 and share your love for KeenTOONS.com here.

Moderators: Chris Crosby, Matt Wilson

Has anyone actually ever...

Postby Lightning Rod of Hate on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:28 pm

Made something out of flash that was over an HOUR LONG???...I would like to attempt this someday...you know,when I DON'T entirely suck!...
THERE WAS A HOLE HERE BEFORE.IT'S GONE NOW. (Silent Hill 2-try wrapping your brain around THAT!) http://gamafort.deviantart.com/
Lightning Rod of Hate
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Propellerhead on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:03 am

That wouldn't be so nice, it will load very long, you'll have problems with hosting it and it will take weeks to make it! (When it's supposed to be quality of course) I mean, you don't want to make a black dot that chases a green one, right?
Propellerhead
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Matt Wilson on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:15 am

Not possible with Flash's frame limitations, unless your Flash is set to an anemic framerate.
Matt Wilson
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lightning Rod of Hate on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:53 pm

Well,at least my question was dignified with an answer :-?...
THERE WAS A HOLE HERE BEFORE.IT'S GONE NOW. (Silent Hill 2-try wrapping your brain around THAT!) http://gamafort.deviantart.com/
Lightning Rod of Hate
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nar on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:49 pm

I was gonna say the same about frame limitations, but it would be possible (and very annoying) to stream it throughout several flash files automatically linked together. I don't think anyone's done it though.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Meebs on Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:15 pm

Yeah on that note, I saw someone linking some 5 minute episodes togther for continous play, I didnt watch the whole thing because it got boring after the 6th episode seeing as I didn't know when it was going to end, so I don't know how long it was.
Now that I am at keentoons I guess I should put my favorite quotes:
Only a dumb drunk baby with no legs would be afraid of that.

Homework is fun!
No it isn't.
Yes it is you fuckin bitch

Meebs
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Propellerhead on Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:41 am

The size is the most important thing, if you don't care about the quality of course... you could link more of them together, but as you said, nobody is going to watch a stupid flash for an hour, but if more peoople do it and if it has good sound and good artwork it would be worth making, I once tried to link two files together but I'm just an amateur so you can imagine how it looked... get more people to do it, get a good writer and someone that can make the music, voices,... etc. etc. The first thing you need is... the magic... magic... magic...
Propellerhead
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: Has anyone actually ever...

Postby fattymattk on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:12 pm

Lightning Rod of Hate wrote:Made something out of flash that was over an HOUR LONG???

fattymattk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby qwerts on Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:33 am

that's a picture. not a flash file.
Currently being Mean to YOU.
qwerts
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Meebs on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:39 pm

Aye, but it was "Made out of flash"

So sayeth the directions.
Now that I am at keentoons I guess I should put my favorite quotes:
Only a dumb drunk baby with no legs would be afraid of that.

Homework is fun!
No it isn't.
Yes it is you fuckin bitch

Meebs
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lightning Rod of Hate on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:24 pm

Okay,ANIMATED in flash! :roll:
Lightning Rod of Hate
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby fattymattk on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:53 am

Lightning Rod of Hate wrote:Okay,ANIMATED in flash! :roll:

I could make the dot blink or shake or move around if you want ;)
fattymattk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jon Hanson on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:09 pm

Make 12 5 minute long flashes, export them as high quality video files, and string them together in a video editing program like final cut. The Foster's pilot was almost an hour long and done in flash.
"Of all bad men religious bad men are the worst." --C.S. Lewis in Reflections on the Psalms
I have a website?
Jon Hanson
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Wonchop on Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:13 am

Set your fps to 1 and tween something over 3600 frames
Sorted
I directed Kangaroo Jacque to Scotland
Wonchop
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kisai on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:31 pm

Technical answer:
a) Nobody's computer has enough RAM or processing power to do one flash an hour long and have it stay in sync and not crash. Flash may seem like it can do anything, but one thing it continues to suck about is how long a flash animation can be. You can make a game that lasts an hour, but the flash virtual machine itself sucks greatly at keeping track of resources after a while.
b) Flash is vector based, an hour long flash animation wouldn't necessarily be huge in download, just a lot of processing power over time.

People answer
With the exception of south park the movie, I don't think anyone is willing to sit through an hour of poorly drawn, poorly orchestrated, poorly voiced animation in one sitting. Broken up over several pieces so you can stop/pause, get up, get a snack, use the potty, grab a drink and come back.
People are willing to watch Bonus stage 3 episodes at a time, not 20 at a time. Hell even when I watched it, I thought it was terrible and only came back to it after watching one of the multi-part episodes, when I then gave it a second chance and watched it from the beginning. While it's not the worst animation ever, it's -VERY- hard to get into if introduced through the beginning. That's the risk you take when you base things "getting the reference" to it.

One of the reasons I haven't watched space tree is that it's just so boring, it's talking heads. BS and EJ&B are more than just talking heads. Flash is good at doing "talking heads" because it's very easy and requires no additional creative skill. An hour of "talking heads" is not something I can stand to watch. It's also the same reason why I don't like sprite-rip comics/animations. The same 4 stock images with flapping lips is not very exciting.

Regular non-animated webcomics are also pretty hard to read through in one hour, comics that use primarily the same side view or 3/4 view for all their characters that look nearly all alike become boring to look at. They read fine when you read them a couple at a time, but feel like a chore to read the entire archive to get whatever joke happened in the latest episode.
"The Guide" for ComicGenesis comics
Comic Genesis , free webcomic hosting.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Return to KeenTOONS Central