Looking for (Constructive) Criticism...

A group of weekly cartoon shows on the internet backed by an internet company? It's like the dotcom boom all over again! Party like it's 1999 and share your love for KeenTOONS.com here.

Moderators: Chris Crosby, Matt Wilson

Looking for (Constructive) Criticism...

Postby jkenneth on Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:17 pm

Regarding my series, Mittens. I've been doing it for the better part of two months now, I think now that I've hit episode ten I've really kinda carved out my niche stylistically. As well as struck gold as far as characters go, so far the series has survived my obsession with Oblivion (sooo addictive), and there's nothing I love more than creating it.

That said, I would like to see what some of the people around here think of it: Mittens The Kitten.

Naturally this isn't my first such venture, I've worked as a writer on everything from webcomics to magazines (Dragon), and I know how the enthusiasm just wanes after a while, particularly when something more interesting takes up time (teh video games!), but the fact that Mittens has survived my Oblivion addiction says a lot (I played Morrowind for probably six months straight).

So, constructive criticisms only please (including stuff like site layout, as that's all pretty fluid right now), because honestly if you don't like it, I really don't care. I just want to see if there are any flaws I've overlooked. Or maybe get some tips on areas that could use some improvement.

Edit: Also, I'd consider it more of an animated webcomic than a straight up animated series like Peter Godly or Salad Fingers, since the writing and style fits shorter one-punchline episodes (much like webcomics).
jkenneth
Junior Keenspotter

Postby qwerts on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:32 am

Well here's constructive criticism : it's horrible.
Did you process all of the voices through a program that makes voice 100 times more horrible?
Or did you hired some bum from across the street to read out pages of hand-written scripts?
A very untallented bum?

[edited out crap]
Last edited by qwerts on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently being Mean to YOU.
qwerts
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Propellerhead on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:43 am

I don't know, the voices aren't that bad...at least not all of them.
The episode are too short,but good. You should get some more people to do
the voices .
Propellerhead
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby jkenneth on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:19 am

qwerts wrote:Well here's constructive criticism : it's horrible.
Did you process all of the voices through a program that makes voice 100 times more horrible?
Or did you hired some bum from across the street to read out pages of hand-written scripts?
A very untallented bum?

You know if this were anywhere but Keentoons that might have some meaning.

Propellerhead:

Yeah I do see what you mean, I've been working on getting some help in that regard, hopefully starting in the next few episodes there'll be more variety :)
jkenneth
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Nar on Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:30 pm

Well it's...interesting.
I like the voice acting sorta, but not the voices themselves. But the way the lines are read reminds me of a mixture between South Park and Home Movies. The art is alright, but the animation is just...heck it's not even there. It's either things jumping with a one-frame difference or slow tweens. And the episodes are pretty short and...not entertaining.
All in all, I guess it's at par for the internet.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby fattymattk on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:27 pm

I like it. It's frequently funny in a unique way. Not funny every time, but often enough to keep me interested. I don't know what qwerts is on regarding the voices, because they sound fine to me. In fact, I'll even go as far to say that the voice acting is great. It's real--not over the top like so much other voice acting can be--and that lends itself a lot to the comedy. It's like you're actually speaking rather than reading from a script. I'm not going to complain about the length, because I kind of like the quickness to them. It's like a series composed soley of cold openings. That said, you have a lot to live up to if this is going to go on for a long time. You're going to have to think of a really clever gag every week, rather than relying on stories and characters to keep people interested. This will be great if you can do that.
fattymattk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ComicDomination on Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:26 am

It's entertaining. I like how the script is read, although the voices... the voices just need to be changed. Maybe except for the cat. The voice fits him well. Nothing is truely outstanding or laugh-out-loud perfect, but it works.
ComicDomination
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nukiad on Thu May 18, 2006 11:42 pm

What happened to your site, jkenneth? It's been down for the past week or so.
Nukiad
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Looking for (Constructive) Criticism...

Postby DanWallace on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:20 am

Yeah, I'd like to check out your site as well. Look, even IF it is horrible, the only way to get good is to keep producing and seeing hwat worked and what didn't. Check out the early work of M. Nyght Shamalamamamamam or Steven Speilberg. Their early stuff was awful. The difference is, they didn't stop! So keep going!
DanWallace
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Looking for (Constructive) Criticism...

Postby Spud/Grant on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:17 pm

DUDE, I'm at school! This is rad, it works here. I've never actually tried, and I'm not ever really going to. :smug:
Spud/Grant
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to KeenTOONS Central