So... are there any flash SERIES still running?

A group of weekly cartoon shows on the internet backed by an internet company? It's like the dotcom boom all over again! Party like it's 1999 and share your love for KeenTOONS.com here.

Moderators: Chris Crosby, Matt Wilson

So... are there any flash SERIES still running?

Postby Kisai on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:43 pm

So are there any flash comic SERIES (as in, more than 3 episodes involving the same main characters) that is still being produced?

It seems like everything I stopped by and looked at occasionally has stopped updating or gone on hiatus, or their domain expired or something.

Homestarrunner and IllWillPress(Foamy) off the top of my head are the only ones that I know still update, but they are rather random it seems. Mind you rant cartoons can be done by anyone (There was like a couple dozen after the last two IllWillPress cartoon on NewGrounds.)
"The Guide" for ComicGenesis comics
Comic Genesis , free webcomic hosting.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby jkenneth on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am

Mine, Mittens, updates every Monday with no end in sight :) Though I'd call it more of an animated webcomic than anything (each one is around 30 seconds long, for quick viewing). And there's Weebl and Bob, they update sometimes.
jkenneth
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Nukiad on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:24 pm

Joe Cartoon has a new series called Joemamma and the 10 Pump BB-Gun. It's updated with a new pump each Monday, and it's up to #4 already. (If you missed any previous pumps, click "Full Version" and see the previous pumps.)
Nukiad
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RichChap on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:35 pm

I think EvilJosh and Billy are just on hold. And also, since Matt Wilson stopped bonus stage, hes about to start like 3 more series which you can read about here http://www.couchslave.com
RichChap
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Nukiad on Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:01 pm

RichChap wrote:I think EvilJosh and Billy are just on hold. And also, since Matt Wilson stopped bonus stage, hes about to start like 3 more series which you can read about here http://www.couchslave.com

Kisai is talking about series that are going on now, not later.
Nukiad
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nar on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:02 am

I'm still here. I haven't been on the internet like...at all because I'm trying to get about four or five new episodes under my belt before updating again. I'm also looking for a "host" site (Where I'm going to continue the series; Mindmush, Newgrounds, maybe somewhere else, I have no clue right now). Although I wasn't going to release anything until the new episodes premiered, I can't resist proving I'm not dead:
http://mindmush.net/geoweasel/newintro.html
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Wonchop on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:55 am

Nar wrote:I'm still here. I haven't been on the internet like...at all because I'm trying to get about four or five new episodes under my belt before updating again. I'm also looking for a "host" site (Where I'm going to continue the series; Mindmush, Newgrounds, maybe somewhere else, I have no clue right now). Although I wasn't going to release anything until the new episodes premiered, I can't resist proving I'm not dead:
http://mindmush.net/geoweasel/newintro.html

Heh, lookin' hot, Nar
I directed Kangaroo Jacque to Scotland
Wonchop
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RichChap on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:39 am

Yeah Nars thing is cool.

Also there's this crappy site like Keentoons that has some really crappy webtoons

http://www.porplemontage.com

the only one there that doesn't really suck it mindcrush
http://unze.porplemontage.com/
RichChap
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Nez on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:38 am

Porplemontage is a place for amatuars to grow and learn. Most of them are aren't top notch, but they're better than the stuff you can make.
Nez
Junior Keenspotter

Postby qwerts on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:27 pm

mindcrush sucks just as much as the rest of them.

Also ST is till going fine (although very slowly). It is a series even though it's humor-based.
Currently being Mean to YOU.
qwerts
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ComicDomination on Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:30 am

Porplemontage updates a lot more then keentoons, that's for sure. And the community is actually a lot less hostile and more jerk-resistant then any other place I've seen. And yes, Space Tree is the only thing here updating at the moment.
ComicDomination
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kisai on Wed May 03, 2006 12:25 am

Wow this is sad, there aren't any other continuing series out there. Nar, you are only hope! ^_^

Wonchop seems like he could pull a series out of nowhere too.

I think BonusStage set the stage for "yes doing a 3-7 minute cartoon per week is possible" that hasn't really been matched by anyone other than those idiots on newgrounds that post spam flash all the freakin time. Everyone else is just too lazy to meet that.

Seriously though Nar, your webtoon improves everytime. The Mitri origami gun is quite funny.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Nar on Wed May 03, 2006 10:57 am

Kisai wrote:Wow this is sad, there aren't any other continuing series out there. Nar, you are only hope! ^_^

I think BonusStage set the stage for "yes doing a 3-7 minute cartoon per week is possible" that hasn't really been matched by anyone other than those idiots on newgrounds that post spam flash all the freakin time. Everyone else is just too lazy to meet that.

Seriously though Nar, your webtoon improves everytime. The Mitri origami gun is quite funny.

Haha, thankyah. I actually finished episode 16 late last night. And while I'm anxious to put it up, I'm sticking to...not doing that yet. Technically, making them in a week is possible. For instance, this past episode, I spent a day writing and recording, and then three days animating. And yes, there is animation. This is probably the most animated episode yet, actually. So working hard, I could do one a week. Hell, if I worked my ass off and recorded two scripts in one day, spent 3 days animating one episode and 3 on another, I could do two in a week! But then I'd probably die. So I'll stick to doing one. If I manage to keep a strong pace like this, I'll start updating again very soon. I just hope in the meantime that there are actually some updates on other sites, because it's getting to be....creepy, actually. Flash Tub didn't update this week (or last week I think), and naturally no EJ&B or Spacetree. Homestar Runner has had kinda spaced updates, but I think they just made it yesterday. At least there's that.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nukiad on Wed May 03, 2006 4:23 pm

Nar wrote:Flash Tub didn't update this week (or last week I think)

Not this week, but they did last. SA just forgot to put it in the Flash Tub section, despite it being on the right corner of the page (where all the updates are listed). They finally put it in the section yesterday.

The latest cartoon is called "Battle of the Beasts." Check it out.
Nukiad
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nar on Wed May 03, 2006 4:36 pm

Nukiad wrote:
Nar wrote:Flash Tub didn't update this week (or last week I think)

Not this week, but they did last. SA just forgot to put it in the Flash Tub section, despite it being on the right corner of the page (where all the updates are listed). They finally put it in the section yesterday.

The latest cartoon is called "Battle of the Beasts." Check it out.

Oh yeah, I did see that. I'm pretty sure there was another week not long ago without an update. Or I dreamt it. Either way, at least it wasn't consecutive.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kisai on Thu May 04, 2006 1:53 am

Nar wrote:
Kisai wrote:Wow this is sad, there aren't any other continuing series out there. Nar, you are only hope! ^_^

Haha, thankyah. I actually finished episode 16 late last night. And while I'm anxious to put it up, I'm sticking to...not doing that yet. Technically, making them in a week is possible. For instance, this past episode, I spent a day writing and recording, and then three days animating. And yes, there is animation. This is probably the most animated episode yet, actually. So working hard, I could do one a week. Hell, if I worked my ass off and recorded two scripts in one day, spent 3 days animating one episode and 3 on another, I could do two in a week! But then I'd probably die. So I'll stick to doing one. If I manage to keep a strong pace like this, I'll start updating again very soon. I just hope in the meantime that there are actually some updates on other sites, because it's getting to be....creepy, actually. Flash Tub didn't update this week (or last week I think), and naturally no EJ&B or Spacetree. Homestar Runner has had kinda spaced updates, but I think they just made it yesterday. At least there's that.

Yay! Nar will save us from the empty void of flash cartoon series!

How many hours do you spend, estimate on each cartoon?
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Nar on Thu May 04, 2006 11:09 am

Kisai wrote:Yay! Nar will save us from the empty void of flash cartoon series!

How many hours do you spend, estimate on each cartoon?

I think this last one was actually about 24 hours. Obviously not of consecutive work. I try to work fast and still make it look good. At least now I do, whereas in older episodes, I just tried to go fast. It's also why I'm trying to keep episodes short, so they can be produced easilly. Especially now, when there are few cartoons updating on a semi-regular basis, I like to be able to only spend a few days on each episode.

Actually, I was debating earlier today if maybe I should just go ahead and put episodes up, with this forum thread in mind. The episodes still wouldn't be as spaced out as they previously were, but there would be no regular update day, which I kinda don't like; it leaves people guessing as to when a new episode is coming so they either have to check every day, or they check like...once a month. And I also still don't know where I'm putting the cartoons. Not that there's anything wrong with having them on Mindmush, but I have a more fitting series planned for that site. So I'm kinda going back and forth with these decisions.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Brandon Clark on Thu May 04, 2006 1:07 pm

Nar wrote:And I also still don't know where I'm putting the cartoons.

why not just go with newgrounds? the only reason i wouldnt put anything on there is if i wanted full control over my stuff.
Brandon Clark
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nar on Thu May 04, 2006 1:24 pm

Brandon Clark wrote:why not just go with newgrounds? the only reason i wouldnt put anything on there is if i wanted full control over my stuff.

Partly because I haven't already uploaded every previous episode. Also I like the have the episodes organized and all in one easy-to-navigate place, which is why I'd rather have it on a regular website. There's nothing wrong with Newgrounds, but I'd rather not put an entire series there, even though some people do that.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby porplemontage on Thu May 04, 2006 4:10 pm

Nar wrote:
Brandon Clark wrote:why not just go with newgrounds? the only reason i wouldnt put anything on there is if i wanted full control over my stuff.

Partly because I haven't already uploaded every previous episode. Also I like the have the episodes organized and all in one easy-to-navigate place, which is why I'd rather have it on a regular website. There's nothing wrong with Newgrounds, but I'd rather not put an entire series there, even though some people do that.

Of course I'm going to suggest, "Hey man, why not get them cartoons up on Porplemontage Studios?". You could give GEOweasel some good publicity. :D
[porplemontage studios]
>>internet entertainment
porplemontage
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nukiad on Thu May 04, 2006 9:36 pm

porplemontage wrote:Of course I'm going to suggest, "Hey man, why not get them cartoons up on Porplemontage Studios?". You could give GEOweasel some good publicity. :D

I don't think so.

Porplemontage is mostly a holding grounds for amateurs to test and develop their skills over time; Niko is more experienced at Flash. PM Studios isn't really the type of place for professionals.
Nukiad
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby porplemontage on Fri May 05, 2006 11:05 am

Nukiad wrote:Porplemontage is mostly a holding grounds for amateurs to test and develop their skills over time; Niko is more experienced at Flash. PM Studios isn't really the type of place for professionals.

That's really not true. There are a small number of amateurs, but as our standards increase over time we accept less and less of anything that isn't a quality series. Either way, Porplemontage is more popular than, say, KeenToons, and is a great way to get your webtoon publicized.
[porplemontage studios]
>>internet entertainment
porplemontage
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kisai on Fri May 05, 2006 9:22 pm

porplemontage wrote:
Nukiad wrote:Porplemontage is mostly a holding grounds for amateurs to test and develop their skills over time; Niko is more experienced at Flash. PM Studios isn't really the type of place for professionals.

That's really not true. There are a small number of amateurs, but as our standards increase over time we accept less and less of anything that isn't a quality series. Either way, Porplemontage is more popular than, say, KeenToons, and is a great way to get your webtoon publicized.

I clicked on the four that I thought were drawn the most appealing, and they all were "coming soon" ... that's completely useless. Gah... that's one of the reasons (the other being that spambots can't draw) that ComicGenesis started requesting "Samples", two years ago, too many "coming soons" and not enough seriousness.

Here's my defintion of a "series" :
a) Has 3 completed episodes or more (something with only two episodes is just a "two-parter")
b) Episodes have some relation to each other (continuity or topic)
c) Doesn't consist of false promises to watch (coming soon, teasers, boobies)

My sense of humor is probably more "intelligent" than what passes for humor these days, while something ripping off south park or power puff girls could pass as "original" in the eyes of the author, it's clearly not. I don't want to see the same jokes in every single cartoon, nor do I want to see supposedly "different" series use the same cartoons. that's what bugs me about some of the "fan parodies" of things. I know nar did it, I know a half dozen other comics or flash cartoons parodied the "Car" episode, even Bonus stage parodied itself with it. There comes a point that everyone doing the same joke is just too stupid to think of something original. Nar easily got past that, hence I said "Nar will save us!" (Though... the one same joke in every toon kinda wants to make me smack jimbob too)
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Postby Brandon Clark on Fri May 05, 2006 10:59 pm

Kisai wrote:Here's my defintion of a "series" :
a) Has 3 completed episodes or more (something with only two episodes is just a "two-parter")

http://newgrounds.com/collection/erikthejuiceman.html

try that one?
Brandon Clark
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kisai on Fri May 05, 2006 11:44 pm

Brandon Clark wrote:
Kisai wrote:Here's my defintion of a "series" :

http://newgrounds.com/collection/erikthejuiceman.html

try that one?

I think I've seen that one before.

Satan is so cliche. Nearly every Webtoon has him, and does nothing new.

What I'd like to see in a (new) series is simply something that
a) Doesn't take place in (new york, new jersey, los angelas, tokyo, or how about earth at all...)
b) Doesn't rely on toilet humor (been done to death)
c) More than one female characcter
d) Female characters that aren't dimwits. Likewise would appreciate seeing males that aren't dimwits too.
e) No random unexplained death and reincarnation between episodes
f) Less intentional religous metaphors.
g) Hell, less metaphors for modern society. (I want to escape reality, not be preeched to.)
h) Not be drawn in stereotypical Anime or Western Cartoon styles. But not PPG or SouthPark type of limited animation either. But not "sprite-rip"'ed or "stick figure"'d.
i) Stop pandering to the StarTrek, StarWars, and LOTR nerds. Gah!!! When the movies were released, it seems like nothing but references to these movies were the base jokes of everthing on the internet. Gawddamned nerdy uncoolness wars.
j) No using internet fads like AYB and "O RLY?" ... been done, been beaten to death. Needs to stay dead.
k) No more game/current events/movies jokes. Quick way to "date" the cartoon by referencing whatever is "new" at the time, and kill replayability.

Well this turned into more of a rant than anything else. I'm serious though, it seems like most (ie, as in newgrounds) animations use the same jokes over and over, and combine them with LOTR, Star Wars or Star Trek and the same jokes, or use Mario, Rockman or Sonic... and the same jokes. It's like "haha, he died, haha he died and bleeds a lot, hahaha he died again, hahaha insert game reference to death" is the basis of half the newgrounds content. People either aren't trying or just see junk someone threw together in 30 minutes and find a way to make it worse.

X_x Like is it just me or is every 5th flash animation that "BLOAHAHA" sound clipping with the crappy smiley. It's like the flash starts off promising, then 15 seconds in, you get this stupid crap thing and my mouse goes immediately over to "BLAM". It's become to the point where as soon as I see square brackets in the title I just skip it. Stupid spam groups.
*tag* you're IT!
Kisai
Cliche Catgirl Admin

Next

Return to KeenTOONS Central