Let's talk about GEOweasel again!

A group of weekly cartoon shows on the internet backed by an internet company? It's like the dotcom boom all over again! Party like it's 1999 and share your love for KeenTOONS.com here.

Moderators: Chris Crosby, Matt Wilson

Let's talk about GEOweasel again!

Postby Sir Lemming on Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:40 am

http://mindmush.net/geoweasel.html

Anyone else been keeping up with this? I think it's showing lots of potential. I could totally see it being a KeenToon one day. I mean eventually, I don't mean Nar should pitch it right now. But it seems to me like it's really developing into something good. The Bonus Stage influence gets less and less apparent in every episode. In fact, even though the most recent episode has something very Bonus Stage-y near the end, it kind of turns it around into its own thing. I'm confident the influence will dissolve if it hasn't already.

The character designs could possibly need some changing, I'm not quite sure. What could happen is he'll just eventually get better at drawing them and they won't look weird at all. That's basically all I think this cartoon needs -- to simply "get better" like any other show would. Oh, and the title might need to be changed, too. It just doesn't seem very catchy.

I would suggest watching episode 3 first. It's got a really great gag close to the beginning, and it's one of the new ones.
Imagehttp://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/265596
I think it's that "ignorance is bliss" part, until the bliss leaves and then you just feel stupid. --Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age)
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bvhj on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:07 pm

I caught the first 2 and I liked them, then I just stopped watching, I don't know why because I do like it, the same with the shows on KeenToons (apart from Space Tree and Bonus Stage, I watch them every week), I like them but I just don't watch them every week and don't keep up.
Yo.
bvhj
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby actionwebgamer on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:24 pm

I've watched GEOWeasel since Computer. In my opinion it's good enough to be a KeenTOON.

However, MGR and TAS still have a ways to go.
actionwebgamer
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Let's talk about GEOweasel again!

Postby Nar on Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:56 pm

Sir Lemming wrote:In fact, even though the most recent episode has something very Bonus Stage-y near the end, it kind of turns it around into its own thing.

What joke was that?

Sir Lemming wrote:The character designs could possibly need some changing, I'm not quite sure. What could happen is he'll just eventually get better at drawing them and they won't look weird at all.

The designs were made two months before the pilot, and that's fairly old now too. They need updating, but I'm afraid if I just come out and change them it will be just one more thing for people to say I copied from Bonus Stage. But in just plain drawings I do of them, they're a lot more fluid and smooth. And unweird.

Now, as for pitching, I have no clue what I'm doing. I do know that Keenpot is invitational, and I assume that KeenToons is the same, so I'm not going to come forward and email Mr. Crosby unless you all start chanting and start riots and crap. I have no idea if he or even Matt Wilson has seen this though.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jon Hanson on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:19 pm

I'd like to chime in with my two sense and agree with everyone else that says GEOweasel could and should be a Keentoon. Nar is a funny guy and a good animator who knows what he's doing. I've been following it since he first posted about it here. Sure, it could be improved, but I can tell that Nar is constantly working to improve.
"Of all bad men religious bad men are the worst." --C.S. Lewis in Reflections on the Psalms
I have a website?
Jon Hanson
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sir Lemming on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:33 pm

Nar wrote:
Sir Lemming wrote:In fact, even though the most recent episode has something very Bonus Stage-y near the end, it kind of turns it around into its own thing.

What joke was that?

It's referred to in the episode's title bar.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the Bill Cosby joke. I'm glad that that, too, was acknowledged as a clich
I think it's that "ignorance is bliss" part, until the bliss leaves and then you just feel stupid. --Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age)
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mydearauntsally on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:37 pm

i hope this will be a keentoon it is one of the greatest cartoons on the internet EVER

i think it would be sweet if u got rid of the black lines though, and the theme song is soooo awful i cant stand it, you need a soft classicalish rock band to make a sweet trippy intro
mydearauntsally
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nar on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:39 pm

[quote="Sir Lemming"]It's referred to in the episode's title bar.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the Bill Cosby joke. I'm glad that that, too, was acknowledged as a clich
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sir Lemming on Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:02 pm

mydearauntsally wrote:i think it would be sweet if u got rid of the black lines though
What?
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Railith on Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:02 pm

I'm liking Geoweasle, it's better than 90% of the stuff at Newgrounds. The only problem I have with it is the little guy's mustache bothers me.
Railith
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Friz on Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:18 am

I can't believe you stole the phrase "news blog" off me :(

Apart from that, I love this show. The first episodehad me in stitches (like, making fun of the cartoons that only show characters from the waist up. I'm very guilty of this)

Keep up the good work, Nar. Colepsy.
Yeah, I know.. my sig hasn't worked in a long, long time.

Pete is a Pogizzle Stizzle
Friz
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby actionwebgamer on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:02 am

Railith wrote:I'm liking Geoweasle, it's better than 90% of the stuff at Newgrounds. The only problem I have with it is the little guy's mustache bothers me.

He's like that because originally, he was a *coughluigiripoffcough*.
actionwebgamer
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nar on Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:30 am

Friz wrote:I can't believe you stole the phrase "news blog" off me :(

Hah, yeah, it's obvious I got the News Blog idea from you. Heck, I use the same server! But it was a good idea to have a place for updates for the people who are...forumophobic...or...something.

mydearauntsally wrote:i think it would be sweet if u got rid of the black lines though, and the theme song is soooo awful i cant stand it, you need a soft classicalish rock band to make a sweet trippy intro

Black lines? In what, the characters? Can't do that. I tried it a while back and failed. Anyone who cares to explore my DeviantArt gallery to know what I mean is free to.
As for the song, I can't say I didn't expect a response like that. I had many songs to use at the time, but none that could fit as a title theme. You gotta count that in. I may change it for season 2, but I'm not going to remove it altogether because after a whole season done like that, it wouldn't seem right.

actionwebgamer wrote:He's like that because originally, he was a *coughluigiripoffcough*.

No, only his old name was. Plus, that was from a couple years ago when the series was almost completely different. Case closed.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby actionwebgamer on Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:48 pm

I'm just saying they all have a trace of their original character designs.
Except for Jimbob.
actionwebgamer
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Brandon Clark on Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:53 pm

I already suggested that the characters be changed. They just need to look a bit cleaner, right now they look all wobbly. (You probably can't see it now but in 3-4 months you will.) You should just bend the line tool. Or maybe use the brush, the brush always looks better anyway.

And hey at least the theme isn't like One Piece. But the intro does need a skip button at least.
Brandon Clark
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nar on Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:15 pm

Brandon Clark wrote:I already suggested that the characters be changed. They just need to look a bit cleaner, right now they look all wobbly. (You probably can't see it now but in 3-4 months you will.) You should just bend the line tool. Or maybe use the brush, the brush always looks better anyway.

I can see that because that's how old these designs are, actually. There are sections on them that I didn't round off or smooth out and other things like that. I don't want to use the brush though because the smallest size still looks too big so I have to magnify to 200% to make it look alright. Also, like I said, I don't want to just get up and change the reused symbols of them. At least not now.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Xenon on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:44 pm

Solution to not having to zoom in: Consider getting a graphics tablet.
Xenon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mydearauntsally on Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:29 pm

hey nar im like 5 miles from you
mydearauntsally
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nar on Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:02 pm

Xenon wrote:Solution to not having to zoom in: Consider getting a graphics tablet.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I do alright with what I have, but that would make it better.

Anyway, I went over some of the "wobbly" lines and smoothed or straightened them and I also changed some angles and curves. They're subtle differences, but it does look cleaner. This was the end result. I did know about that and I would have cleaned it up eventually, but I didn't think too many people would notice. It's not hurting anything anyway, so thank you for bringing it up.
And while I'm thinking of it, would you prefer if I used the song from the advertisement thing for the title theme in season 2? I mean, I'd have to bring it from 30 seconds to 20, but that's not a problem.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mydearauntsally on Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:27 pm

nah im making you a theme song

but the cleaned up characters look awesome man
mydearauntsally
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Asok on Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:19 am

Yay, smoother character designs! I like 'em!

By the way, I love the cartoon, the only thing I would change is mitri's moustache...mustache...facial hair. Yeah, that. When I watch the show, sometimes I think it's part of his own hair. And then he turns around/jumps/whatever and it's a mousta...piece of facial hair! I need spellcheck. Anyway, tell him to get it trimmed. Or something.
ZOOM!
Asok
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sir Lemming on Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:42 pm

Today's episode, "Dating Game", is above average in the grand scheme of things, but the pacing is pretty slow.
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nar on Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:54 pm

Sir Lemming wrote:Today's episode, "Dating Game", is above average in the grand scheme of things, but the pacing is pretty slow.

Above average....I can't figure that out. I almost trashed this episode in the midst of working on it. It seems like whenever I doubt the success of an episode it does fairly well.
And yes, the pacing is slow. I needed to have at least 3 questions for him to ask, because otherwise it would make the script seem rushed, so I tried to load a few jokes into those parts. This is the longest one so far, but that's the only reason why.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sir Lemming on Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:11 pm

Well, what I meant by "above average in the grand scheme of things" was that, like most episodes of this series, it's better than the average webtoon. But, this was not my favorite episode by a long shot.
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Brandon Clark on Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:16 pm

Hah I just watched you're new one. Make that goth girl a main character. I'm serious it's the greatest thing you can bounce off of. I was acually chuckling at alot of things in this. Good jorb.
Brandon Clark
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to KeenTOONS Central