Space Tree is, by far, the cream of KeenToons...

A group of weekly cartoon shows on the internet backed by an internet company? It's like the dotcom boom all over again! Party like it's 1999 and share your love for KeenTOONS.com here.

Moderators: Chris Crosby, Matt Wilson

Postby Dunlavy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:50 am

Dunlavy wrote:To be honest, I don't understand this Sinfest reference. Are you insinuating that my opinion is null because I show preference to Sinfest via my avatar? Matt, I thought you'd bring more to this thread. But, then again, after seeing your previous contributions to threads that CRITICIZE your work (non-fan boy threads) or otherwise inconvenience you, I can see that my expectations in you were misplaced.

Futhermore, you almost seem to admit that you are coasting on a wave of hype in that quote. At least, that's how I read it.


I guess Matt's too busy to respond to this. That or too whipped.
User avatar
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:08 am

Postby TommyLM on Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:52 am

ok, i'm just responding to the first post here I didn't read any replies.. also this is my opinion so don't start getting pissed off or whatever.

personally it's hard to make a descision of which i enjoy more, each toon has its own qualities. the main downfall of bonus stage is that to me, matt wilson seems to be lost on what he's trying to achieve in his cartoon. i think it's a mistake to go giving his characters deep subplots and love triangles.. to me bonus stage is a nothing but a comedy show with wacky adventures.. matt is trying to turn it into something more which does NOT work. i actually think some of matt's voice work is hilarious while some is as you said annoying (the croaky voice [phil up to ep 18 then joel onwards] kind of limits his acting doesn't it). lastly the series seems to be running low on ideas as now they are in space but that should keep it going for a while longer.
as for space tree, well i think it's a little slow-paced. the voice acting is good while sometimes it can get annoying (space trees voice gets on my nerves sometimes). the scripts are a little predictable and sometimes it can get boring. not much seems to happen in the world of space tree.
both cartoons are top notch on the animation department, i'm very surprised on the quality of the lip syncing and character animation in each episode of space tree, it's very clean and smooth. bonus stage has a rough-around-the-edges charm though which works for that particular show.
overall i think bonus stage is more entertaining to watch (more jokes + referances) but space tree is of better quality, so I'd have to say I look forward to the new bonus stage episodes more than space tree.

thats my long verdict
-tommy
TommyLM
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:56 am

Postby Sir Lemming on Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:20 am

Dunlavy wrote:
Dunlavy wrote:To be honest, I don't understand this Sinfest reference. Are you insinuating that my opinion is null because I show preference to Sinfest via my avatar? Matt, I thought you'd bring more to this thread. But, then again, after seeing your previous contributions to threads that CRITICIZE your work (non-fan boy threads) or otherwise inconvenience you, I can see that my expectations in you were misplaced.

Futhermore, you almost seem to admit that you are coasting on a wave of hype in that quote. At least, that's how I read it.


I guess Matt's too busy to respond to this. That or too whipped.

Or maybe he just doesn't care, or doesn't want to argue about the merits of his own show, since there's no way he can possibly be objective.

You strike me as a person who really likes to hear himself talk, or see himself write. I can see why someone would have little desire to argue with you.

And if you don't mean to insult anyone when you say Bonus Stage is for high school kids and Space Tree is for college students, maybe you should stop saying it. It's just friggin' annoying.
Imagehttp://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/265596
I think it's that "ignorance is bliss" part, until the bliss leaves and then you just feel stupid. --Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age)
User avatar
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: Grantham, PA/Long Island, NY

Postby JasterW on Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:28 am

Sir Lemming wrote:And if you don't mean to insult anyone when you say Bonus Stage is for high school kids and Space Tree is for college students, maybe you should stop saying it. It's just friggin' annoying.


Why? Because you buy into demographics? Screw that. A lot of cartoons made "for kids" are some of the most entertaining things out there. A lot of shows "for adults" are complete crap. Just because something is targeted at high schoolers or collegiates or even babies or old people has nothing to do with anything other than maybe how many pop culture references / alphabet lessons they will contain. There's crap and gold in every category across the board.
ARG! - It's an acronym, probably.
User avatar
JasterW
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Savannah, GA

Postby Dunlavy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:07 am

TommyLM: Good post. I disagree with you that "nothing happens in Space Tree world," but overall you have one of the more intelligible pro Bonus Stage posts in this thread.

Or maybe he just doesn't care, or doesn't want to argue about the merits of his own show, since there's no way he can possibly be objective.
True, I understand that. But he took a quip at me (and possibly Sinfest) and now I'd like to see him defend it. I am a Mexican army and he is an Alamo without cannons.

You strike me as a person who really likes to hear himself talk, or see himself write. I can see why someone would have little desire to argue with you.
Most people have no desire to argue with me because they LOSE. :wink:

And if you don't mean to insult anyone when you say Bonus Stage is for high school kids and Space Tree is for college students, maybe you should stop saying it. It's just friggin' annoying.
As much as I don't want to offend anyone for liking a web cartoon, censorship of opinion is never a valid alternative. These forums are here for a reason.

Why? Because you buy into demographics? Screw that. A lot of cartoons made "for kids" are some of the most entertaining things out there. A lot of shows "for adults" are complete crap. Just because something is targeted at high schoolers or collegiates or even babies or old people has nothing to do with anything other than maybe how many pop culture references / alphabet lessons they will contain. There's crap and gold in every category across the board.
Dude, I wholly agree with you. A lot of "kids" stuff is awesome. Invader Zim, for example. Dexter's Laboratory. G.I. Joe. Transformers. And yeah, even Bonus Stage, to some extent.

My attempt to "demographisize" Bonus Stage was my intent to indicate a possible REASON for the intense fanboyism that BS enjoys here on this forum. While fan boys (and girls) aren't harmful, they are annoying.

Bow to my gigantic brain.
User avatar
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:08 am

Postby bunji on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:47 am

Thats a bit big headed, isn't it? Oh, wait, that's what you were trying to imply.

Also, Matt has better things to do then to reply to every single challenge brought up. He makes the cartoons, we applaud him, everything goes smooth.

Also, I wouldn't ever call anyone annoying because: 1) To call all fans of Bonus Stage annoying is a pretty widespread assumption, 2) You're kinda annoying me, therefore creating some sort of paradox.
Bleh. I'm bored.
User avatar
bunji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:31 am
Location: Woking, UK

Postby The Decapitated Mole on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:03 pm

And at this point I'd like to point everyone here to a little song I like to call "The Fuck Off Song."

"Well finally, thats the way it is. I like something you dont and you're
telling me it's shit. But it's a waste of time. You cant change our opinion..."


Some people like Bonus Stage. Some people like Space Tree. Some people like both. I happen to agree with Tommy's opinion that Matt has taken Bonus Stage entirely in the wrong direction, as a cartoon like BS has no room for character development or involving plotlines - there's just not enough time in a week to cram that together with enough humor to make the show worth watching. However, I'm sure Matt will disagree, as will many Bonus Stage fans, however I would like to once again direct you all to the quote at the top of the post.

Also, to Dunlavy: I'm sure you're a smart guy and everything, but don't go around acting like you're superior, because judging from some of your posts you're not the most mature...tool... in the shed... But yeah. Quit acting like you're some sort of unquestionable sage of words and maybe people will be a bit more open to your criticisms, hm? I'm fourteen, and even I get that.

o_0
jimm
Image

FreakyFace Entertainment, bringing you semi-quality blocks of time waste since 2003.
The Decapitated Mole
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:46 am
Location: If I say New Jersey, can I have a KeenTOON too?

Postby TommyLM on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:26 pm

you tell em jimm
TommyLM
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:56 am

Postby Sir Lemming on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:09 pm

Dunlavy wrote:
And if you don't mean to insult anyone when you say Bonus Stage is for high school kids and Space Tree is for college students, maybe you should stop saying it. It's just friggin' annoying.
As much as I don't want to offend anyone for liking a web cartoon, censorship of opinion is never a valid alternative. These forums are here for a reason.

Just because something is permissible doesn't mean it's beneficial. Sure, we all have freedom of speech, but some speech becomes destructive under the wrong circumstances. That's an overstatement, but I think it applies to some extent. Sometimes it's best to hold your tongue in favor of not being a prick. Even when there's nothing truly wrong with what you're saying.
Imagehttp://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/265596
I think it's that "ignorance is bliss" part, until the bliss leaves and then you just feel stupid. --Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age)
User avatar
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: Grantham, PA/Long Island, NY

Postby bunnyThor on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:30 pm

Dunlavy wrote:
bunnyThor wrote:
communist trees wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:
Dunlavy wrote:Bonus Stage is overrated. The crown of KeenToons belongs to Space Tree.

Space Tree is better than Bonus Stage, but ultimately the world will value your opinion the same way it values any Sinfest fan's opinion.


Ouch.


Hey. When he's right, he's right.


Wipe your lips, fanboy. You've been kissing too much ass.


What? I've never kissed you in my life!
User avatar
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Amidst the mists and fiercest frosts...

Postby bunnyThor on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:35 pm

The Decapitated Mole wrote: I'm fourteen, and even I get that.


Really? I thought at fourteen all you ever got was pizza skin and spontaneous erections.

Learn something new every day, I guess. :P
User avatar
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Amidst the mists and fiercest frosts...

Postby DarkShive on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:35 pm

*looks up from reading his copy of the second Sinfest book* What's this about Sinfest fans now?
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
User avatar
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel
 
Posts: 7595
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:39 pm
Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby bunnyThor on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:18 pm

Darkshive wrote:*looks up from reading his copy of the second Sinfest book* What's this about Sinfest fans now?


Oh no!
Dan caught us using generalities to decribe people!
Cast down your eyes, all! Cast them down in shame!


:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
User avatar
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Amidst the mists and fiercest frosts...

Postby The Decapitated Mole on Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:11 pm

Thats a bit big headed, isn't it? Oh, wait, that's what you were trying to imply.

Also, Matt has better things to do then to reply to every single challenge brought up. He makes the cartoons, we applaud him, everything goes smooth.


And at this point I'd like to point everyone here to a little song I like to call "The Fuck Off Song."

"Well finally, thats the way it is. I like something you dont and you're
telling me it's shit. But it's a waste of time. You cant change our opinion..."


Some people like Bonus Stage. Some people like Space Tree. Some people like both. I happen to agree with Tommy's opinion that Matt has taken Bonus Stage entirely in the wrong direction, as a cartoon like BS has no room for character development or involving plotlines - there's just not enough time in a week to cram that together with enough humor to make the show worth watching. However, I'm sure Matt will disagree, as will many Bonus Stage fans, however I would like to once again direct you all to the quote at the top of the post.

Also, to Dunlavy: I'm sure you're a smart guy and everything, but don't go around acting like you're superior, because judging from some of your posts you're not the most mature...tool... in the shed... But yeah. Quit acting like you're some sort of unquestionable sage of words and maybe people will be a bit more open to your criticisms, hm? I'm fourteen, and even I get that.


Just because something is permissible doesn't mean it's beneficial. Sure, we all have freedom of speech, but some speech becomes destructive under the wrong circumstances. That's an overstatement, but I think it applies to some extent. Sometimes it's best to hold your tongue in favor of not being a prick. Even when there's nothing truly wrong with what you're saying.


What? I've never kissed you in my life!



I guess Dunlavy's too busy to respond to this. That or too whipped.

o_0
jimm
Image

FreakyFace Entertainment, bringing you semi-quality blocks of time waste since 2003.
The Decapitated Mole
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:46 am
Location: If I say New Jersey, can I have a KeenTOON too?

Postby OnlyAlienEver on Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:48 pm

SPACE TREE SUCKS AND BONUS STAGE ROCKS AND BONUS STAGE SUCKS AND SPACE TREE ROCKS AND TO ANYONE WHO DOESN'T AGREE IS A BIG FATASS FAGGOT QUEER HOMOSEXUAL PILLOW-BITING GAYASS GRRRR HOW DARE YOU LIKE OTHER CARTOONS. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry:
User avatar
OnlyAlienEver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:57 am
Location: Brooklyn, New York

Postby Xenon on Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:50 pm

Who the fuck bites pillows?
User avatar
Xenon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:47 am
Location: Florida? Laffo.

Postby OnlyAlienEver on Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:52 pm

The term "pillow-biter" was a gay slur mostly used before any of us were born, so nobody really cares.
User avatar
OnlyAlienEver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:57 am
Location: Brooklyn, New York

Postby LCARS on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:56 pm

Xenon wrote:Who the fuck bites pillows?


I'll tell you who. A person who appreciates the fine taste of a good fluffy down filling.

I personally like Bonus Stage. Actually, I like any cartoon where the Pope comes out of nowhere and yells "MEGA BURN" after a scathing insult.
User avatar
LCARS
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 5280
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2000 11:00 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Postby bunji on Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:16 pm

Xenon wrote:Who the fuck bites pillows?


Mr Willy Wanka invented marshmallow pillows. Maybe it was one of them.
Bleh. I'm bored.
User avatar
bunji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:31 am
Location: Woking, UK

Postby Dunlavy on Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:21 pm

I guess Dunlavy's too busy to respond to this. That or too whipped.

Oh yeah, I'm really whipped by all of that. Especially the guy that "never kissed me." That shit owned me.

I'm guessing you'll never be asked to be on a panel of judges for any Presidential or equally important debates. I'm sure you'll most likely favor any dung flinging monkey over anybody with any substance.

I will respond to this, though:
Just because something is permissible doesn't mean it's beneficial. Sure, we all have freedom of speech, but some speech becomes destructive under the wrong circumstances. That's an overstatement, but I think it applies to some extent. Sometimes it's best to hold your tongue in favor of not being a prick. Even when there's nothing truly wrong with what you're saying.
Holding my tongue in favor of not being a prick is really not way of doing things. I whole-heartedly agree with this guy, but the fact is that he's simply asking me to be civil, to which I am saying "No."

I am going to let this thread die because it got a little out of hand. I intended an homage to Space Tree and a call out to Bonus Stage fans and the rampant fan boys inhabiting this forum. What I got was a barrage of somewhat heated Bonus Stage flames, which was expected because I was being an antagonist.

Addendum: After seeing how Matt ignores his own forums and his own fans, it was a little stupid of me to expect him to participate in a thread that challenges his fans and workmanship. All he offered was a quip about Sinfest (for whatever reason) and then he disappeared. By no means do I want an enemy, but I expected more of a challenge. For that, I am disappointed, because some good points were made by me and other members. At least he could have responded and said "Screw you! I make shows goood you dumb ape!!!!1" but instead he attacked Sinfest.
User avatar
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:08 am

Postby Scat on Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:26 pm

Dunlavy, you're making all us other Space Tree fans/Bonus Stage haters look bad.
Scat
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:09 pm

Postby Dunlavy on Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:35 am

Scat wrote:Dunlavy, you're making all us other Space Tree fans/Bonus Stage haters look bad.
I agree, actually. I'm across way more hostile than I intended. However, the validity of my posts is unquestionable.
Last edited by Dunlavy on Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:08 am

Postby bunji on Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:01 am

Dude, it's not like there are two species: Space Tree Fans and Bonus Stage Fans. I'm a fan of both. I simply prefer Bonus Stage since it's more on my line of humour. Just because someone likes Space Tree, doesn't mean they're instantly turned off Bonus Stage.

I doubt Matt would ever say 'Screw you! I make shows good!' since he uses good grammar. Also, he's not the kind of person to say that. Read the Charisma Files and you'll get the idea.
Bleh. I'm bored.
User avatar
bunji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:31 am
Location: Woking, UK

Postby livingfruitvirus on Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:49 pm

Dunlavy wrote:Addendum: After seeing how Matt ignores his own forums and his own fans, it was a little stupid of me to expect him to participate in a thread that challenges his fans and workmanship. All he offered was a quip about Sinfest (for whatever reason) and then he disappeared. By no means do I want an enemy, but I expected more of a challenge. For that, I am disappointed, because some good points were made by me and other members. At least he could have responded and said "Screw you! I make shows goood you dumb ape!!!!1" but instead he attacked Sinfest.
I don't understand why you came to an internet forum wanting to start a fight. Sounds like you're trying to restrain yourself from saying "BS IS 4 FAGZ!"
User avatar
livingfruitvirus
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:43 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby MashiTheInsane on Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:31 pm

Gee, this page is all...half-way offensive to me. D:

I'm bi, you asses.

Anyway, I, like bunji, love Space Tree and Bonus Stage, but I've known Bonus Stage longer than Space Tree, but I still like both. Space Tree has it's brand of humor and it has well developed characters and...it's in space. Always. Bonus Stage has hooked me since I saw episodee 9 (when it existed) and I've forgotton about it once, then I remembered, and found it. So I...still like it. But...still, they are pretty equal.

Robotbox- wait, we're not talking about that.
User avatar
MashiTheInsane
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: ...SOMEWHERE YAY!

 
PreviousNext

Return to KeenTOONS Central

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron