Space Tree is, by far, the cream of KeenToons...

A group of weekly cartoon shows on the internet backed by an internet company? It's like the dotcom boom all over again! Party like it's 1999 and share your love for KeenTOONS.com here.

Moderators: Chris Crosby, Matt Wilson

Space Tree is, by far, the cream of KeenToons...

Postby Dunlavy on Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:34 am

So far, I'd say KeenToons is off to a great start. Space Tree is hilarious stuff and would fit in perfectly with its ilk on Adult Swim. Keep the episodes coming! :D

Addendum: Since it supplements my initial thread starting post here, I am adding my response to this thread. I'm not sure why.

I honestly don't see what's up with all the Bonus Stage lovin' going on around here. Space Tree is clearly superior, and while this is only my opinion, the best I can do is state my opinion in a manner that clearly outlines my criteria for a good web cartoon (which I believe Space Tree to be) and a mediocre one (Bonus Stage).

Space Tree originality: A
Bonus Stage originality: C

First off, Space Tree features unorthodox comedy routines that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else sans Adult Swim. Candy canes, "friends with benefits," Ghost Spider, web sites that shoot lasers, and space themed bizarro sitcom is hard pressed to find in mainstream media. I find that Bonus Stage departs very little from tried and true sitcom that you'd find on teenage TV shows and hell... Nickelodeon (although Nick did have Invader Zim, at one point).

The voice acting in Space Tree: B+
The voice acting in Bonus Stage: C- at best

And what the hell is up with raspy, Microsoft Sam generated voiceovers in Bonus Stage? That HAS to go if it's ever going to quit pissing normal people off. Kill it.

The animation in Space Tree: B
The animation in Bonus Stage: B

Both are animated nicely, although each is inconsistent. Some scenes appear simplistic while others are more crafted.

Space Tree's character line-up: B+
Bonus Stage's character line-up: D+

There isn't a single character I appreciate or even relate to in Bonus Stage. I'm a pretty big computer science geek who appreciates geek culture as much as the next guy, but Bonus Stage manages to present our culture in a manner that is contrived, not funny, immature and in many instances, annoying. If I were a jock, beating the crap out of these characters would occupy my lunch break everyday. It would be cathartic.

In Space Tree, I dislike Alan, the green kid. However, this is by the author's design. You're not SUPPOSED to like him.

All in all, Bonus Stage feels overly immature to me. I am a college student, and I feel the majority of you are perhaps high school students, so I can understand why our perceptions of maturity and comedic craftsmanship could differ so greatly. I don't intend this as an insult; I feel a possible age gap is necessary to point out so I don't get a bunch of "1dio1T, you sOWK!1" replies from Bonus Stage fan boys and girls. Finally, I submit this post with one last observation:

Bonus Stage is overrated. The crown of KeenToons belongs to Space Tree.
Last edited by Dunlavy on Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fat_guy1 on Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:57 am

Ilk? What's that?

Anyway, it is very true that Space Tree does rock the hizzy.
Fat_guy1
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nar on Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:46 am

Hey! You know you're not allowed to have an opinion that does not put Bonus Stage first! The BS Fanbase police will take you to their secret underground hideout and make you watch every episode even though you might like something else better!

Heh, just kidding. I like Space Tree too. Even in the first couple episodes it was good, but now it's even better. I think all of the keentoons are quickly becoming some of my all-time favorites.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby OnlyAlienEver on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:14 am

Space Tree is indeed the best on Keentoons. Right now, its only competition is Robotbox and Cactus.
OnlyAlienEver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bunji on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:23 am

I still think Bonus Stage is the best. Then Space Tree. Then RB&C. Because I'm a rebel.

Actually, I'm not.
Bleh. I'm bored.
bunji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JasterW on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:49 am

Danny Washington owns you all. Facetious.
ARG! - It's an acronym, probably.
JasterW
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The K on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:05 am

If Space Tree is the cream, then what's the ice?
The K
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby 1969 on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:16 am

The K wrote:If Space Tree is the cream, then what's the ice?
'

Pfft, Keentoons isn't Ice Cream. It's coffee. He's saying that Space Tree is the cream, that goes into the coffee and makes it taste good.

Loser.

(I have wasted my 100th post right here, folks. Hooray!)
The Salad Caper.com
The Original Danny Washington (and Educational Egg) Fansite

Matt Wilson disapproves of arguing on the internet. Therefore, don't argue on the internet.

Matt Wilson wrote:shut up

shut up

SHUT UP

SHUT UP

SHUT UP

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

[URL=http://s9.invisionfree.com/Gamegarage/index.php]
Image[/URL]Game Garage forums
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fat_guy1 on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:17 am

The ice is Danny Washington, but it has melted.
Fat_guy1
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nar on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:33 am

1969 wrote:Pfft, Keentoons isn't Ice Cream. It's coffee. He's saying that Space Tree is the cream, that goes into the coffee and makes it taste good.

Following along with that analogy, I would like to say that Bonus Stage is the cup. Think about what I mean by that for a while.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby 1969 on Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:36 am

Nar wrote:Following along with that analogy, I would like to say that Bonus Stage is the cup. Think about what I mean by that for a while.

Yeah, I think I get what you mean, without bonus stage, everything else would just be *splat*.

But I was being sarcastic. :P
The Salad Caper.com

Matt Wilson disapproves of arguing on the internet. Therefore, don't argue on the internet.

shut up

SHUT UP

SHUT UP

SHUT UP

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chrono_Catfish on Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:16 pm

I'm actually starting to like Space Tree more than BS now that there's the continuity and all.

But Bonus Stage still rules my Fridays. Or possibly Saturdays. Whenever's good.
Chrono_Catfish
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Raedyn on Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:10 pm

Well! If we are gonna shoot opinions around! Allow me!!

Bonus Stage
- has more character depth
- Likable characters and villans
- Awesome Plots ( most of the time)

Space Tree
- Also has awesome characters
- always hilarious
- Awesome Plots ( most of the time)

R&C
-Took awhile to develop as a good series
-not always that funny
-plots are weak, but characters are awesome - especially Robotbox!

Danny Washington doesnt get a rating...i never liked it and since it hasnt updated in so long its time to give it the boot i think.

I think the best series is tied BS and ST...thing is, Space Tree has already caught up with Bonus Stage in my opinion, and it took BS awhile to become what it is today.
Raedyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby zonzo on Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:06 pm

Space Tree and RBAC are my favorites right now, I just hope if they add more toons, they'd be of equal quality. Maybe a Burnt Face Man series.
zonzo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Eggie on Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:03 pm

I love Bonus Stage at the moment, but Space Tree seems to be the best for consistantly delivering the awesome.
I mean, the first 10 or so episodes of Space Tree is quite a bit better than the first season of Bonus Stage.

But it's early days yet. Space Tree might go into a horrible dip of 'not very goodishness'. But I really hope that never happens because it's great.

Robotbox and Cactus...I'm still undecided on how much I like it. The animation is plenty detailed but not especially appealing to me, but the longer, less sane episodes that have been emmerging lately definately got me laughing and even caring about the characters. So I'll assume it can get better from this point on...Unless it gets worse...

Danny washington (if it ever gets back on track) should go back to being Live Action. It's so much cooler that way.

Getting David Firth on board might not be a bad idea, he's always complaining about not having any webspace.
Eggie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby OnlyAlienEver on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:30 pm

The thing with Space Tree is that I found it kind of weird when Ed said that he'd be doing a lot more than 10 episodes. If you've been to his site before he even started Space Tree, you'd see that he'd usually give you the impression that he's going to make a lot of episodes for his Stabby McGee series, but then he doesn't, and then he makes a few other random cartoons, doesn't update for a month, updates with something small again, etc.

And being such a sex slave fan of his, I was skeptical of him doing this huge Space Tree series, especially since now it has three times more episodes than his two other series, which captured my heart already. But that's the thing with Ed. He can just fuck around on his site for a while and make it seem like the smallest thing in the world, and the next day sign a contract to this new Keensite. Whatever move he makes, you know his stuff's going to be funny, so you'll be supporting him anyway.

And if you haven't already got the idea, we're gay lovers.
OnlyAlienEver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Xenon on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:04 am

Yeah, I would have thought Ed would have chosen Stabby as a KT series, but Space Tree is my current favourite KeenTOON anyway, so he wins either way.
Xenon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby 1969 on Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:05 pm

Eggie wrote:Getting David Firth on board might not be a bad idea, he's always complaining about not having any webspace.

Getting David Firth on board would definently be one of the strangest things ever witnessed. David's weirdness plus a weekly update equals fucked up.
The Salad Caper.com

shut up

SHUT UP

SHUT UP

SHUT UP

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mr. kauervane on Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:48 pm

Bonus Stage has a better drawing style, and can be funnier than Space Tree at times. But really, it's two different writing styles. BS makes pop culture references, while in ST I haven't heard a lick of one. I dunno. I really only like BS and ST, because they're truly the only good cartoons on KeenTOONS. No offense McBean, it could just use a little work.
Episode 4: "Calcium Trial"
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/228296

*DISCUSS THE EPISODES HERE
http://andrewk.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi
*Episode 5 is currently delayed
mr. kauervane
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mydearauntsally on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:33 pm

Man...RobotBox & Cactus is better than Bonus Stage in my opinion. Bonus Stage is the same thing every episode, and well if your not talking about funniness then I still think RB&C is better animated than bonus stage.
mydearauntsally
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Raedyn on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:40 pm

Robotbox and cactus may be well animated...but look at what mcbean has to animate. desert + cactus + plus square robot...it can look good and all...but its not much.
I think BS is a little more dynamic than Robotbox when it comes to being the same thing every epsiode...but thats my opinion.
Last edited by Raedyn on Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This concept of "wuv" confuses and infuriates us!!!
Raedyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MaywoodRocker on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:48 pm

Raedyn wrote:Robotbox and cactus may be well animated...but look at what mcbean has to animate. desert + cactus + plus square robot...it can look good and all...but its not much.
I think BS is a little more dynamic than Robotbox when it comes to being the same thing every epsiode...but thats my opinion.

You tell em...Bonus Stage foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Anyway, Bonus Stage is not the same thing every week...its a detailed plot, conveniently centered around Pop-Culture References.
Currently MaywoodRockette for Sister II

"I am not fighting this war because I want to. I'm fighting because I have to. I have no other choice."
Riley Vazquez
Shadows - Book II: Warriors
Darkness - The Final Days

"It took me a long time to realize it. It took me a long time to figure out why I fight. After everything I've been through, I finally have an answer. I fight to protect those closest to me. I risk my life so that they may live. I will not allow you to take that away from me! I will NOT allow you to kill those I've sworn to protect! Even if it costs me my life, I WILL KILL YOU!!"
Riley Vazquez
Shadows - Book III: Sins
The End of Time - A Warriors Pride

"I no longer know who I am. I'm supposed to be dead and buried, yet here I am. I can no longer stay here, not until I know who and what I am."
Meredith Stone
Dark Resurrection
Final Assault - Epilogue

"Looks like someone switched to big boy pants a little too soon."
The Janitor
Scrubs
MaywoodRocker
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nar on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:26 am

mr. kauervane wrote:Bonus Stage has a better drawing style, and can be funnier than Space Tree at times. But really, it's two different writing styles. BS makes pop culture references, while in ST I haven't heard a lick of one. I dunno. I really only like BS and ST, because they're truly the only good cartoons on KeenTOONS. No offense McBean, it could just use a little work.

Bonus Stage and Space Tree are done along the traditional lines of a cartoon. RobotBox and Cactus is really more like an animated comic strip. McBean can't put them in as many different environments because...well...a cactus is stationary (except for the few times in the cartoon where he was somewhere else). I think it's good that there are two (if you want to count Danny Washington) non-traditional cartoons here. Not everybody wants to watch people going on some adventure every week. Some do though. Actually....about 90% of this forum's population does. But you get what I'm saying.
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bunji on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:51 am

I would definately not say that Bonus Stage was the same every week. And I would say it again if I was that dull.
Bleh. I'm bored.
bunji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dunlavy on Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:28 am

I honestly don't see what's up with all the Bonus Stage lovin' going on around here. Space Tree is clearly superior, and while this is only my opinion, the best I can do is state my opinion in a manner that clearly outlines my criteria for a good web cartoon (which I believe Space Tree to be) and a mediocre one (Bonus Stage).

Space Tree originality: A
Bonus Stage originality: C

First off, Space Tree features unorthodox comedy routines that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else sans Adult Swim. Candy canes, "friends with benefits," Ghost Spider, web sites that shoot lasers, and space themed bizarro sitcom is hard pressed to find in mainstream media. I find that Bonus Stage departs very little from tried and true sitcom that you'd find on teenage TV shows and hell... Nickelodeon (although Nick did have Invader Zim, at one point).

The voice acting in Space Tree: B+
The voice acting in Bonus Stage: C- at best

And what the hell is up with raspy, Microsoft Sam generated voiceovers in Bonus Stage? That HAS to go if it's ever going to quit pissing normal people off. Kill it.

The animation in Space Tree: B
The animation in Bonus Stage: B

Both are animated nicely, although each is inconsistent. Some scenes appear simplistic while others are more crafted.

Space Tree's character line-up: B+
Bonus Stage's character line-up: D+

There isn't a single character I appreciate or even relate to in Bonus Stage. I'm a pretty big computer science geek who appreciates geek culture as much as the next guy, but Bonus Stage manages to present our culture in a manner that is contrived, not funny, immature and in many instances, annoying. If I were a jock, beating the crap out of these characters would occupy my lunch break everyday. It would be cathartic.

In Space Tree, I dislike Alan, the green kid. However, this is by the author's design. You're not SUPPOSED to like him.

All in all, Bonus Stage feels overly immature to me. I am a college student, and I feel the majority of you are perhaps high school students, so I can understand why our perceptions of maturity and comedic craftsmanship could differ so greatly. I don't intend this as an insult; I feel a possible age gap is necessary to point out so I don't get a bunch of "1dio1T, you sOWK!1" replies from Bonus Stage fan boys and girls. Finally, I submit this post with one last observation:

Bonus Stage is overrated. The crown of KeenToons belongs to Space Tree.
Dunlavy
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to KeenTOONS Central