Newbie thread: An Introduction Spot for Mayhem!

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

Re: Newbie thread: An Introduction Spot for Mayhem!

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Tyveras wrote:Really? Nearly a year has gone by and a day hasn't even passed in MKRP. o.o;; Thats scary.

There's been a lot of talk about this lately. I'm of the opinion that starting about the day of Lomgren's party, which was a Sunday in RP time, the RP has moved at a pace of roughly one to two days per year. Except last year where the lull in forum activity seems to have stretched RP time well beyond its normal limits.

Using this knowledge I plan to back calculate what day of the week it is. Current estimates say it is a Saturday, but these rely on the information gathered using the form search function which is dodgy at best. SO! I have begun project MKRP.pdf where in I click the "print" button on the top of each thread page one at a time to get an almost pure text form of the thread page and then I "print" this page to pdf.

This gives me a textual backup of the tread that can be searched using adobe acrobat's built in search features. This means searches are no longer limited to "keywords that are longer than three letters and not too common." Seriously, the current search feature for these forums won't let you look for words like "day" or "bed" or "herself". Well... not without getting creative it won't ^^

So far I've individually printed the first 300 pages. I can print about 100 pages on a typical weekend day before carpal-tunnels sets in and to continue would be to injure my hand. On a weekday I might get 50pages printed if I felt like spending my little free time on weekdays on printing repetitively instead of writing rambling posts.

But long story short, once my database of MKRP PDFs are complete I can combine the files into sections of 25 pages each in acrobat and then search out a definitive timeline for each character and the days they spent in RP time. Then I can compare each individual timeline to the timeline of major events. Hopefully this will be enough to create a definitive "timeline" onto which the story can be placed.

Umm, I seem to have gotten off on a tangent there. What was the question again?

OH YES! Welcome! Welcome Ty! Welcome back to mayhem!!! :D

~"FOR SCIENCE!" :tfgun:
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tyveras on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 am

Thanks ^_^
There is only one constant in this universe: Irony
Tyveras
Keenspot Despot

Postby Johnathan on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Hello, I'm new here. I have an interest in rping and this looked like a suitable place :)
Johnathan
Junior Keenspotter

Postby OzLionHeart on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:39 pm

*gasps* An actual new person?! Welcome!

Welcome to the insanity! I think we might have a Newbie Welcome Pack around here somewhere - let me check...

*rummages around for a bit* Hmm, none to be found, but we can make one up.

Meanwhile, I should give you one or two things to get you started.

You may notice that nearly all of the various threads around here are running fairly slowly, This is due to folks losing interest, or having other commitments out in the imaginary world called Real Life.

The world of Mayhem is loosely based off the webcomic El Goonish Shive, and a number of the things from there have ended up in here. Mostly TF guns, and a lot of general silliness. (Silliness levels may vary per RP.)

Hopefully you'll have read the General RP Rules thread, or at least the first post. If you haven't, go do it now - it'll give you a better idea of how we do things around here. Most of them still apply, even though it hasn't been updated in a while.

For reference, I recommend the Mayhem Wiki - it gives you a good idea of who's who in the RPs themselves (both characters and their players).

Fort Mayhem is an "open" RP - your character can just wander in (but expect to be asked their business by the guards :wink: ). Last Post Wins is also "open", although it's been rather slow lately.

Some characters are aware of the fictional nature of their environment - we (and they) refer to this as being "Aware". Basically all it means is that they can break the Fourth Wall at will (most try to keep it to a minimum, though, as it's confusing to the non-Aware characters... :wink: ). This is only allowed in some RPs, not all of them, and is usually at the GM's discretion. If in doubt, ask someone.

Have fun, and don't take it too seriously. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Helseth on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:09 am

Greetings Newbie

As Oz seems to be out of packs have some of my old one

A TF gun (I stole a spare in the Migration)
5 cans of unlabelled soda
A bag of chocolate chip cookies (Be thankful I got salt and Glass when I arrived)

Good to see people joining as I try to make my return
Image Image
veni, vedi, cerebra consumpsi
Inventory moved to wiki

If the strange behaviour of my character offends remember that the twisted mind that created it a probably several countries away.

Brain bleach available on request

"So many hancuffs in my life and NEVER a single hot chick involved" Dave, crfh
Helseth
Keenspot Despot

I'm a newbie, yay.

Postby Eeveeon8 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 pm

I've actually heard of El Goonish Shive for a while. Well am I such a special snowflake. I actually found it when reading the KeenFans comic. Shoulda found it earlier. I mean, I've already read the entire El Goonish Shive twice. I'm such an idiot. Now, if you ignore my pessimistic remarks, could somebody direct me to the TF Guns and the room to the chaos and havoc that KeenFans seems to suggest is on here? And is Dan dead, I seriously hope he isn't dead. Then there wouldn't be anything to read tomorrow.
Eeveeon8
Junior Keenspotter

Postby OzLionHeart on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:22 am

Greetings, new person!

TF guns come in your Newbie Pack - I should have one around here somewhere... *rummages*

Ah, here we go:

One TF gun, with random selection option
A six-pack of Mayhem soda (TF effects vary per can)
A bag of assorted cookies
A dead fish (still fairly fresh)
And a stylish bag to keep it all in.

If you're looking for chaos, I suggest either Last Post Wins or Fort Mayhem. Both are open to new people to walk in. The Mayhem Store is also open, although the proprietor seems to have vanished... Or you can try O'Lionheart's Pub - they're always open. :wink:

For a good idea of who's who (both players and characters) I recommend the Mayhem Wiki.

As far as I know, Dan is not dead, although he doesn't come around here very much (if at all).
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Eeveeon8 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Well, good. Thanks for the stuff.
Eeveeon8
Junior Keenspotter

Previous

Return to Mayhem