General RP Rules

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

Postby Loztein on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:51 am

{I could fix that if I were feeling EVIL JONJONAUG... But I think I'll let someone else do it.}

That Rule that 10.0.0.1 (I wanted to type Cinderella... *Shivers*) made is one I always keep in mind. Even if I'm just retroconing abit of someone's speech, adding a bit or removing some things from something I usually/ALMOST ALWAYS inform you unless it's just a spelling error that isn't in something the Character said.

Also, I plan on running Ith Garne, Eresh, and Ilkanaroi in that thingy sometime for fun. I know if I put say, Troy Ryan Jones in it he would be an Anti-Sue, although in fact he is the hellish version of the embodiment of the Gary-Stu. However any of my other characters? I ain't got a clue, except maybe Yerethos from Grassvale, but he'd probably score a little lowewr than Geiz'duil did.
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Quote of Boredom: "Great, now we’ve got a mummy on the loose, and the son of a b**** knows how to drive a stick"
– Burton Guster, from Psych
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: A time someone of my sort just does not seem to belong...

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:35 pm

Renkore wrote:...10.0.0.1 (I wanted to type Cinderella... *Shivers*)...

:nervous: who is this wingie princess of whom you speak? :shifty:
I've got a few nicknames here though I'm not really sure I want Cinderella to be one of them, but I do love the character :lol:
But thanks, I've done it before but the only time I did a major retrocon was with the timing of a NPC's death.
I originally had her dieing a few years before but later got mixed up and said it was over a decade ago.
No one but me had referenced the original time line and I only did once, and by the time I caught it the mistaken timeline was to important.
In that case the retrocon choice was easy as the original timeline had no impact on the story.
FerretBob: The angry young lady with the hammers is 10.0.0.1
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
binarywraith: What the loligoth. :)
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Postby Jasmine_soul_3 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:20 am

...you know, I expected a high score with a character I've been playing for 9 years...but 151 is too bloody much.
Character: Kiratami
Jasmine_soul_3
Keenspot Despot

Postby Piebunny on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:09 am

Marci scored a ten. I'd imagine her brother would score similarly.

Ed Bunny, on the other hand, scored 31.
That goat came to me of its own free will.

ImageImage

My buttons have imploded the universe 4 times.
Author of Do the Seconding!
(I take no credit for the Seconding itself; that belongs to ProfessorTomoe.)
Not to mention The Ed Bunny Mysteries!
Hey! I do MSTs! Check 'em out now, funk soul siblings!

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby catldr24 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:23 pm

*was bored, so ran his characters through it*
Qwerty-71 - First real RP character, so no real surprise.
Tomoko-38- Now its not looking good for me.
Harumi- 2- ...well that isn't bad at all.
Brette- 16- Only because the empathies weren't on the list of powers. ^^

Average- 43 and 7/8. ... What happens if I remove Qwerty from the equation?

Average(minus Qwerty)- 18 and a fraction that I forgot.
...totally figures. >.<
Drayco: ((Oh yeah, I forgot he's been repeatedly used as a weapon during the fight. ^^; ))
At least when I'm multitasking, I know where I can go to retrieve my mind.
My Inventory

Current form: So zetta slow!
catldr24
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby TeddVerres on Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:52 pm

Well, I decided to check out my characters.

I started with Warth Richards, my cat person. He got 52: Mary-Sue. But hey, he isn't supposed to be believable.

Shrip Gregors, Warth's roomate and best friend, was second, scoring 40: Mary-Sue. I can't say I'm surprised, they where both created at roughly the same time.

Theo Vattic wound up with 19: The Non-Sue. Kinda saw it coming.

Townsend really surprised me, only getting 14: Non-Sue...

More to come as I do the test several more times:

Characters to Test:
Sanji Morimoto
Lucas Finnly
Last edited by TeddVerres on Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeddVerres wrote: You know you're lame when you start quoting yourself.

"She's got a cute walk. She kinda wiggles her behind. She's got a very cute behind."-Otacon, Metal Gear Solid
"Mumbo lose Skull to Humba Wumba in bad lawsuit."-Mumbo Jumbo, Banjo-Threeie
Be sure to catch my voice, as I will be playing "King Jingaling" in John Zirbe's Banjo-Fourie, and Miles Edgeworth in the sequel to Dily's Only Heros Wear Crevats!

^.^ Perfect innocence is not the lack of corruption, but the lack of corruptability.-Valgaav
TeddVerres
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cameo on Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:46 pm

That test is going to produce a lot of "Mary-Sues" because of three things:

A) It's usually used for fiction (fanfics or original, but with a single omnipotent author rather than multiple players) rather than RPs, so you can't control how the other characters react to your own.

B) It's biased against characters based on their authors; this is with good reason, given that many Mary-Sues are idealised versions of the person writing them, but it tends to skew the results of characters who're supposed to share some of their author's personality traits (regardless of what other problems or lack thereof there might be with the character).

C) It ignores the context of a setting, which creates problems when you have as wide a range of RPs as we do. (This makes sense too - if it was designed to work with every plausible context, it'd be completely useless rather than just somewhat inaccurate.)

The bottom line is that the writing is what makes the difference between a Mary-Sue and a good character who simply happens to have a lot of positive attributes and/or a high power level. Perfect characters usually either are impossible to play well or go horribly wrong, and literally-omnipotent characters (gods, godlike figures or other semi- to near-omnipotent characters who still have weaknesses don't count) essentially spell RP death since they can solve any problem the GM throws at them.
ImageImageImageImageImage
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Anyone who wants to draw Cameo can refer to this.
Hooray for avatars I made!
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
The Cammy Guarantee: All sig quotes make sense in context!
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Postby Bohomit on Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:14 am

Sorry for barging in like this but is it to late for me to join here?
Bohomit
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sqauto on Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:52 am

Well you can check the forum for the sign-up threads for RP's.

Otherwise, you will not find that in this thread.
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Bohomit on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:42 pm

Could i at least still post here?
Bohomit
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Grim Atescu on Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:13 pm

Don't know if it's up here yet, but this is probably the most important rule, and deserves repeating:

RULE 0: The GM is the one in charge. This means that they know the rules, the world, and the limits of what's appropriate. If the GM says "no", they mean "no", and arguing them will only serve to make them angry.

If there is no GM, then the players must decide within themselves. The above still apply, but replace "The GM" with "The Other Players".
This is my sig. It is cute. --> @_ *wai!*
The sig likes cookies. --> c@_ *nom*
You will give it cookies, or it will steal your soul. --> @/ *rar*
Beware the cuteness of the sig!
===
"And YOU, Grim, write adorable honeymoon scenes." - VOR
Grim Atescu
Keenspot Deity

Postby Sqauto on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:37 am

Bohomit wrote:Could i at least still post here?

If your talking about rules of RP's, then yes.

If not, then in believe it will be looked down on as spam.
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby FaweFC44 on Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Another bit of RP advice, and something I see crop up every now and then.

People often wonder why their characters are being ignored. There may be any number of reasons, but if it happens, don't take it as a personal insult.

It may be that the character's you're trying to get the attention of missed your post, or are busy at the moment. I'm gonna give some examples, and I hope it proves helpful in the long run! :)

Meeting New People!

So, you've joined an RP, and you're ready to get posting as soon as it takes off! Great! However, what a lot of people find when RP'ing for the first time, or even more experienced players, is that their characters are overlooked! There's a few things that you can do to rememdy this, without causing a fuss along the lines of: OMGWTFBBQ Y R U IGNORING ME?!

1: Check your post. Maybe it's unclear who you're talking to? Lets use these random characters, Bob, Jane and Larry as examples.

Scenario One:

((Jane))
Jane sees two people standing about, in the crowd of people that are standing in front of the Burger Store, walks over and says "Hi!"

Or

Jane bumped into someone in the street.

Not bad. However, you didn't specify who you were talking to. This is probably the most commonly occurring reason, as Bob and Larry may be unsure if Jane was talking to them, and not two other people.

A good way to make sure, is to think of it as if you're the third person watching this on TV, and you know all the characters names. So, instead of the last example, the post would look more like this:

((Jane))
Jane sees Bob and Larry standing about, in the crowd of people that are standing in front of the Burger Store. She walks over, and says "Hi!"

Or

Jane bumped into Bob walking down the street.

Much better, and you've made it clear who you're talking to.

2: Maybe it's the Wrong Time/Place?

Sometimes your character may be overlooked because the time or place isn't right. Or maybe the comment's inappropriate. For example:

((Bob))
Bob rounded the corner to see Larry and Jane kissing passionately. "Hey Larry, catch the game last night?" He asked.

Or

Bob strolled over to where Larry and Jane were frantically fighting the Zombie Mass. "Hi, my name's Bob!" He said as an introduction.

Are both good examples of why you may be overlooked.

3: General Announcements.

These ones aren't so bad, and are less often ignored. But, it happens. If it does, instead of crying over spilt milk, move on. There's bound to be a buffer between your posts.

Example:

((Larry))
Larry stood by the entrance. "What's going on?" He asked to no-one in particular.

Or

Larry stared after Bob, who'd walked off. "That wasn't very nice." He said to anyone who'd listen.

Not so excusable for being ignored, but still, if you want to avoid it, make it clear who you're addressing. Introduced your character to someone else, or wait it out if the time's bad. The world won't end if you have to go a day without non-plot related chitchat.

4: PM Them.

If it's clear who you're addressing, but still get overlooked, send a Private Message to the guilty party. Keep it polite, keep it mature. You won't have to wonder why you're being ignored if your PM looks like this:

OMG DOOD STOP IGNORING MY GUY!!!11eleventy-one.

A gentle reminder is all it takes. Maybe there's a reason, such as the character you're talking to is leading up to something that can't be interrupted, or maybe they missed you post. A nice, civil PM can clear things up nicely.
The 'You Are _ _ _ _!', 'My Personality Is...' and all things related are stupid. There will be no argument on this.
Malachy19 wrote:[07:03] Malachy 19: yes, I TOUCH myself

Context is for the WEAK.
FaweFC44
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jeremy_I_Am on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:38 am

I compsed this little ditty based on the lists of RP faults.

RPG OFFENDERS

(To the tune of
And there you have it.
My webcomic: Madly Off in Some Directions

Image3395 points--2009/1/23

"The limits of my language are the limits of my world." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

"I once killed a coyote with this key. It was a small coyote. It might have been a potato." ~Asok
Jeremy_I_Am
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: A place that is not the place where people who are not here are

Postby Divides on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:36 pm

*Phazes in.*

Grim Atescu wrote:I think it means inappropriate angst, also called "Badfic Angst" (angsting over a stubbed toe or some such nonsense.)

"I had a cat named snowball, she died, she died... mom said she was sleeping... she lied, she lied! Why oh why is my cat dead, couldn't that buss have hit me instead?!?"

Evincar wrote:Sure, you'd have to RP it, but it breaks that "You have no army of NPC's" rule.

Honestly, I never thought much of the "You have no army of NPC's" rule just as a rule by itself at all. In general, any loyal NPC underling(s) should (generally) be viewed as part of a character's abilities, and so the army would most likely come out as power playing more often than not... but otherwise, if it fits the scale, I see nothing wrong with it (unless the GM hates player owned NPCs in general... which is another story). It's just a different character concept.

The necromancer would presumably work the same way. If you're planning to animate an uber army, then that should be ok... as long as the other players are given a similar chance to augment their abilities. If, however, this isn't the intent of the RP... then guess what? Your character's ability is out of scale, and you need to either nerf it (IE: you can only control a few zombies at a time), or ditch your character.

jwrebholz wrote:They're not intended to be 100% universal. Like I said earlier, depending on the situation some of these rules can be bent, others can be broken or ignored entirely.

That should probably be emphasized in the initial post, then :P.

I mean, I know it should go without saying... but I know too many people that don't get that kind of stuff.
Divides
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kiloku on Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:14 pm

Is it wrong to use the "-"?
eg.
Raf then said:
- I'll eat chocolate!

Instead of ""?
My Deviantart Profile

Sheepy wrote:I don't think you'll ever hear a guy say "Nope, no sex tonight, my thumb hurts too much."

Save Kalga's RP! Join MERA!
Ba-dum Tshhh
90% of teens are onto alcohol. If you like muffins, tell your mom i said "Hello".
Kiloku
Keenspot Despot

Location: In the end of the galaxy. No! Not that end, the other one!

Postby FaweFC44 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:30 pm

It's fine.

If no-one complains, it's generally fine.

Of someone does complain, and they said a paraphrased reply of 'I don't like it' or 'It goes against the norm', they're just whiny, and it's still fine.
The 'You Are _ _ _ _!', 'My Personality Is...' and all things related are stupid. There will be no argument on this.
Malachy19 wrote:[07:03] Malachy 19: yes, I TOUCH myself

Context is for the WEAK.
FaweFC44
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:45 am

It is just a style issue, "" is the standard but in my view as long as it is clear what your post means it is fine, IE keep it consistent.
And as Fawe said if someone does get picky it is just that. unless the GM dictates all players use 1 style or anther it is the player's choice.
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Postby RamDragon on Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:53 am

I'm still new here and figured this is the place for this question. What's continuity, and how is it related to RP? I've seen "IC" thrown around a few places and not having any direct references in the Newbie thread or the rules thread it frightens and inimidates me.

Also, while it's good to have general RP rules as reference and comparison, what are the Mayhem specific rules? After all, comparison only works when you have something to compare to. There is a lot of "of course that doesn't apply here," and "we bend that rule a lot." I haven't had trouble with this yet, but I can foresee a lot of newb trouble on the horizon for me if I join too many more RPs.

This thread has only been topically helpful to me as a newbie. It covers etiquette and not much else in the way of hard-and-fast rules.
RamDragon
Keenspot Despot

Postby Amon Star on Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:19 pm

I'm afraid I don't fully understand your questions. But I'll do my best to answer them anyway.

When you are talking about RP continuity, are you talking about the Mayhem RP? Basically, that crosses multiple Threads, plus associated comics. It is EXTREMELY loose, as I'm sure you noticed, but there is still SOME level of cause & effect. IC means in character, in case you didn't know.

The Mayhem specific rules are pretty much the same as the standard rules, except they are more guidelines that rules in the Mayhem continuity. Independent RP's have their own rules which are decided by the relevant GM.

I hope that was helpful for you. If not, let me know.
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby RamDragon on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:02 am

Yeah, pretty much what I was able to come up with on my own. I've always used IC to mean "in character", but I have seen it where context suggests it means "in continuity".

If continuity crosses several threads, which ones? How do I know a continuity thread when it bites me on the arse? Continuity threads tend to be lots of pages long, and I refuse to read back history for three digits worth of pages, so what's the etiquette on jumping in? Who's flying this thing?

Basically, it seems that there are a number of givens that are not addressed in the newbie thread or here that seem a bit ambiguous to me. I'd like to start RPing off the fringes, but right now, Ky's Bar is the only thread that seems like you can just jump in. The newbie thread suggests War, but right now the ongoings are way too complex to just use an "appeared in a doorway" intro. Not to mention that is looks like it is dead. No, really. I poked it with a stick and it didn't move.

The other RP thread I joined was clear that anyone could jump in at any time. No problem. But others aren't as clear on joining rules. Can, can't, PM GM, etc..

All I'm saying, the long way around, is that most of the threads here don't seem as newbie-friendly as some of you might suppose.
RamDragon
Keenspot Despot

Postby Amon Star on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:47 am

I agree. When I was a newbie it was quite confusing. But I think I've got the hang of it now.

As for which Threads are apart of the same continuity, most aren't. Most, of not all, RPs are a separate continuity. However, sometime an RP character appears in the main continuity. Also, the news Thread does do stories on the RP. The main continuity consists of several dead Threads, plus Fort Mayhem, the News Thread & any Thread marked with a Crossover Wars banner. Carrot, Kylen's Bar, Last Post Wins, Steel Spork Inn & War are also apart of the main continuity, but in different dimensions. Also, there are a lot of duplicates in Kylen's Bar.

As for how to deal with large Threads, well, my advice is to read the first page & the last three pages. Also, it's a good idea to PM the OP to see if you can join. If they aren't still around, then PM someone that seems to be in charge.

Another point. Most true RPs have a discussion Thread that is linked in the OP. You can asks questions in those. Also, here's a couple of RPs looking for more players. K-site & this one. The second one doesn't have a discussion Thread & is free for anyone to join. However, both are in slow motion at the moment until Cheez gets back.
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piebunny on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Divides wrote:"I had a cat named snowball, she died, she died... mom said she was sleeping... she lied, she lied! Why oh why is my cat dead, couldn't that buss have hit me instead?!?"

It was a Chrysler. :P
That goat came to me of its own free will.

ImageImage

My buttons have imploded the universe 4 times.
Author of Do the Seconding!
(I take no credit for the Seconding itself; that belongs to ProfessorTomoe.)
Not to mention The Ed Bunny Mysteries!
Hey! I do MSTs! Check 'em out now, funk soul siblings!

There is no Brotherhood.
Piebunny
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 pm

The forum is mostly lounge style talking on any topic that come up and games.

Every RP has it's own contained reality, the crossover is just another RP. it might have 2 or 3 threads in it but it is just an RP and it's control is limited to those threads.
Basic forum rules of etiquette apply in an RP with 1 addition: The GM (person/persons running the RP) is in charge.
If you don

Keenspot Deity

Postby Antoine Bruce on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:57 am

Okay, hopefully someone can tell me or help me out about this, but what are the RPs where "jumping in" is okay? I know Ky's Bar is; I think Last Post Wins is, but I don't know and don't want to annoy anyone; and if there are any others I haven't seen them. I'm enjoying the little RPing I have been doing and want to try out something else without going into a lot of formality and such, but at the same time, I don't want to go anywhere I'm not welcome.

I'm sorry. I know it's probably just me being stupid, but a lot of this stuff intimidates me.
Antoine Bruce
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to Mayhem