General RP Rules

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:45 am

LPW is always open but it is a bit hectic speed wise so be warned. I can't think of another RP thread that has not been mentioned that works that way.
Best way to know if an RP is open (the ones that don
FerretBob: The angry young lady with the hammers is 10.0.0.1
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
binarywraith: What the loligoth. :)
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Malachy19 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:04 am

Sticky Necromancy!

One of the most important rules to remember when role playing is thus:

Play the part of a character, not something you wish you were. Not following this rule will result in one of two things. Either an overpowered two dimensional Mary Sue type character, or you will just fall deeper into the despair you are trying to run from by RPing.

RPing is a game. A game involving a story and characters. So have fun and be a part of the story ^_^ b
"Everyone wants my bacon. My delicious Canadian Bacon" -Camo
All my Characters, in one handy Place
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby Cameo on Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:54 pm

Or, if you're like me (that is, good enough to avoid Sueishness but not sensible enough to stay out of this sort of thing in the first place), you'll make characters who're not really overpowered or Sues but who have no personality aside from a watered-down version of your own.
ImageImageImageImageImage
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Anyone who wants to draw Cameo can refer to this.
Hooray for avatars I made!
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
The Cammy Guarantee: All sig quotes make sense in context!
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Postby Malachy19 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:02 pm

Yeah, remember kiddies. Sometimes its best for the story for your character to "lose." You don't always have to win.
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby TingYi on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:06 pm

That was the first question I answered in my Ask Me thread. Ha! I rock...but seriously. Losing can be fun.
Happy Birthday [Insert name here]!
TingYi
Keenspot Deity

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:00 am

I've found people accept me more, if I think I make a mistake I apoligise
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Malachy19 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:45 am

No one can start out perfect, y'know. Make mistakes, learn from them, get better. That's how life works. Well, except for me. I am perfect.
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby Kum-El on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:41 pm

Well, you're Mal.
Responsible, either fully or partially, for Laws of Mayhem Physics 2, 4, 8, 10, 35, 38, 40, 41, 59, 72, 77, 85, 86, and 113
MHT wiki Welcome to the Jungle wiki Bandits! wiki
Kum-El: A version for every occasion. -OzLionHeart
Deus Ex Machina: Because, contrived though it may be, it's more fun than dying. -Author-Man

"Carai an Caldazar! Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande!"
"Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain."
Kum-El
Keenspot Deity

Postby Malachy19 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:19 am

Kum-El wrote:Well, you're Mal.

Truer words have never been said
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby PixelHead777 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:44 pm

Cameo wrote:Or, if you're like me (that is, good enough to avoid Sueishness but not sensible enough to stay out of this sort of thing in the first place), you'll make characters who're not really overpowered or Sues but who have no personality aside from a watered-down version of your own.

Or if you're like me, you'll make characters with personalities that are more magnified versions of your own
PixelHead777
Keenspot Deity

Postby Malachy19 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 am

PixelHead777 wrote:
Cameo wrote:Or, if you're like me (that is, good enough to avoid Sueishness but not sensible enough to stay out of this sort of thing in the first place), you'll make characters who're not really overpowered or Sues but who have no personality aside from a watered-down version of your own.

Or if you're like me, you'll make characters with personalities that are more magnified versions of your own

Which, really isn't a "character" it's just a you. Mary sues are baaaaaaaad.
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby PixelHead777 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:36 pm

Lomgren wrote:((I am going to say this exactly once. Some people on the forums are playing AS THEMSELVES. As they would be if they could do all these things. So, when you are attacking their "characters" you are ATTACKING THEM. This is the big problem with having several different realms and styles of RPing here. I believe you can figure out what's going on now without more input from me. Have fun.))
PixelHead777
Keenspot Deity

Postby Malachy19 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:18 am

I don't want to get into a heated debate over this, but...

The DIctionary wrote:role-play /ˈroʊlˌpleɪ/
–verb (used with object)
1. to assume the attitudes, actions, and discourse of (another), esp. in a make-believe situation in an effort to understand a differing point of view or social interaction

Role playing is taking on a different character and persona. Just playing yourself is not really role playing. You can sit here and say that your style is different but you are not really role playing in the true sense of the term, and since this thread is about rules about how to effectively role play, your arguments here are moot. I am trying to give people on advice on role playing out characters, in which making a mary sue that is just yourself with powers or abilities is generally a bad thing.
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby PixelHead777 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Alright, that's it. Where the hell is all this Mary-Sue SH*T coming from?!
PixelHead777
Keenspot Deity

Postby Malachy19 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

A mary sue is a general term for a character that is a self-insert and is either over powered, has an overly dramatic past for no good reason or has the ability to do all the things you wished you could do.
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby PixelHead777 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Lomgren wrote:((I am going to say this exactly once. Some people on the forums are playing AS THEMSELVES. As they would be if they could do all these things. So, when you are attacking their "characters" you are ATTACKING THEM. This is the big problem with having several different realms and styles of RPing here. I believe you can figure out what's going on now without more input from me. Have fun.))

I listen to Lomgren. Lomgren isn't an asshole.
PixelHead777
Keenspot Deity

Postby TingYi on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:01 pm

No offense, but logical fallacies do not a good argument make. Neither does just repeating yourself. Come on, if you're going to talk about this with Mal, at least present actual counterpoints.
Happy Birthday [Insert name here]!
TingYi
Keenspot Deity

Postby Malachy19 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:11 pm

Could you please not Spam cusses? Can you edit your post and remove the F-bombs please, they are completely unnecessary
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby Amon Star on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:27 am

*Shakes head sadly*

Why does this always have to happen. Who cares what people do, as long as they don't upset other people? That's what matters. Everything else is just terminological semantics legerdemain & I don't care if that makes no grammatical sense. RPing yourself =/= Mary Sue. A Mary Sue is a ridiculous overpowered/perfect character, who are often self inserts, but not always so. Those who say you aren't truly role-playing unless you play a completely new persona are forgetting the reason many people do so, to have fun. So if that fun isn't at the expense of others, it's all good. To say otherwise is just snobbery & elitism.
My RP Characters

My Battle Cry: "I'm going to bruise you until you taste like chicken, and dip you in uranium!!"
Weapon of Choice: Gilded Boxing Gloves.
anti-paragon wrote:Besides, does Keenspot really want vagabond bunnies raving through the forums, huddling near flamewars to keep warm and eating the offal of slain strips?
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nokvok on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:55 am

The negative point about playing yourself as a role is that you often lack the distance and reflection not to be personally offended when someone attacks your char or the sensibility to feel when it were better to let something bad happen to your char.
This is in the long term not fun, because others don't usually hold back with such things. So either you feel offended all the time cause no oner really minds to attack or offend your char, or everyone else gets frustrated cause your character tend to be played anti-climatic.

I really do not mind people playing derivate of themself... but I think it would really help those to actually play a lot of different characters first to truly get a feeling for it.

And of course this is about fun. More precisely this is about how to have more fun with RPing. If you play yourself and never had troubles with it and are having fun... well, then you surely already figured out that you can ignore this advice.

Oh yeah: Also - Every player is different, has different tastes and abilities, so of course no advice here is the ultimate truth for everyone. But they usually do help if you consider them seriously.
Need to look up something about my chars? Here's the list: Characters List (Updated 4/5/11)
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby Malachy19 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:32 am

Well Amon, this is a thread devoting to help people improve their RPing skills. If you just want to play yourself that's not technically role playing, it's just talking. You can do that outside, with people. And yes, a self insert does not have to be a Mary Sue, but most often they are. Heck, I have a self insert of mine in another RP, but that one has several other characters in it that I focus more dominantly on. The problem is when you ONLY play yourself. Cuz then, like Nok said, when someone says something like "Man, why is this character so dumb?" you take personal offense. Also, only playing yourself all the time will not hone your skills at all and will probably make it boring and/or annoying for those you play with in the long run.

And also, on a more psychological standpoint, always playing just as yourself, or how you wish yourself could be is a very dangerous game. It may start out fun at first but it might escalate into running from reality. You may become so attached to the "real" version of yourself that you shy away from people in the real world, thinking that that's not really you, or something. I know this is a bit of an extreme, but I have to mention it as I've seen it happen, and I worry for my fellow RPers ^_^;
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby Amon Star on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:47 am

I agree with pretty much everything you both just said, especially the part about playing yourself can make you over sensitive. However, it is how many of us start out. Yes, in time they probably should move on, but saying this larval stage isn't RPing is just blame rude. Instead, it would be better to coax them into diversifying, as opposed to saying they're doing it wrong.

As for this Thread's purpose, I've always thought of it as a basic code of conduct. One that can be summed up as, 'Respect your fellow gamers'. Something that is surely lacking on this Forum, I might add. Therefore, I really think there are better things to concern ourselves with than an inexperienced Newbie playing a Self Insert.

One last thing, on playing Self Inserts. It isn't quite the same as just talking to people in RL, as here there are CMDs & other wonders. So it is more imagining yourself in fantastical situations, but with others. And what's the harm in that?
My RP Characters

My Battle Cry: "I'm going to bruise you until you taste like chicken, and dip you in uranium!!"
anti-paragon wrote:Besides, does Keenspot really want vagabond bunnies raving through the forums, huddling near flamewars to keep warm and eating the offal of slain strips?
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby PixelHead777 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:56 pm

*Pops in after forcing self to stay away from angry-making, and sees the last two posts.

@Amon: Thank you.

@Malachy: I have other characters, and not all of them are like me. The main two are Dewitcheried versions of myself, but they aren't all exactly like me.
PixelHead777
Keenspot Deity

Postby Amon Star on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:25 pm

PixelHead777 wrote:*Pops in after forcing self to stay away from angry-making, and sees the last two posts.

@Amon: Thank you.

No problem.
My RP Characters

Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:11 am

Hey, what is the status on swearing in RPs.
Cause from what TingYi said, in the 20 something one is that it is GMs called on that sort of thing.
Am I right?
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to Mayhem