General RP Rules

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

Re: General RP Rules

Postby OzLionHeart on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:26 am

For the most part, yes. As I understand it, at least.

If your character really has to swear, you can always have something like "[censored]" or [unprintable comment]". Or euphemisms in the square brackets - this seems to be a popular technique. (One reason I like sci-fi and fantasy settings is that it allows you to invent your own swearwords, which avoids the problem altogether.)

Of course, Rule 0 always applies - what the GM says is the final word.
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
User avatar
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity
 
Posts: 10101
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:22 am
Location: Somewhere convenient to watch the action

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:16 am

Don't forget there's the ever so less-used symbols to represent words for swearing...I believe I usually use that for Jodi, although lately she hasn't had much of any reason to swear...^^;
Current Avatar: Lapis O. Rimewing, lined by Sanchay, colored by me.
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Contrary to popular belief, THE INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS." --- Kalga
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
User avatar
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity
 
Posts: 12262
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:48 pm
Location: back home, the land of flatness.^^

Re: General RP Rules

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:12 am

No, it is just I want to run a more, realstic RP, based partly on Skins. Whcih is a teen comedy drama, and I want to try and get that kinda of gritty feel across.
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
User avatar
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 5363
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Hiding in Amy Winehouses Beehive.

Re: General RP Rules

Postby OzLionHeart on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:22 am

Well, the forum itself is rated PG-13 (as far as I know), so any swearing would have to fit within that limit...
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
User avatar
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity
 
Posts: 10101
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:22 am
Location: Somewhere convenient to watch the action

Re: General RP Rules

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:26 am

Ahhh, so I guess the 4 letter words are out.
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
User avatar
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 5363
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Hiding in Amy Winehouses Beehive.

Re: General RP Rules

Postby OzLionHeart on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:02 am

Well, any that haven't been used in the comic, at least.
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
User avatar
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity
 
Posts: 10101
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:22 am
Location: Somewhere convenient to watch the action

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Author-Man on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:49 am

Depending on the GM, most people seem okay with s**t as a limit for uncensored swears, and only in the darker RPs... I, for one, tend to be lenient so long as we stay below f**k.

On another, unrelated note, something that really bugs me is when a person who posts in an RP disc thread has no intention of joining and has, in fact, not shown any interest prior to posting. It's really immensely rude, even if you ignore the amount of raw arrogance it takes to assume that the people who do wantto join give a flying f**k (pardon the French) about your opinion. I don't mind so much if someone near the start who isn't interested posts to say why, but that's it. Out of common courtesy, I'm not gonna single anyone out with specific examples.
Let's Plays (on hiatus 'til I get a mic)
[09:55:06] <AM|Slep> I'm surprised Doc Scratch is only now noticing that Spades Slick has set his house on fire.
[09:55:23] <@toothsomeCameo> Or at least only now caring about it?
[09:55:42] <AM|Slep> Yeah, see, the flashing ! tells me there's some modicum of surprise there.
[09:55:50] <@toothsomeCameo> This is true.
[09:56:13] <AM|Slep> That, or he saw a suspicious cardboard box.
[09:56:33] <AM|Slep> He's about to walk over to it and flip it over, only to find Solid Nepeta under it.

[21:40:31] <AM|Hate> Terezi Owns is also awesome.
[21:40:35] <toothsomeCameo> Sadly.
User avatar
Author-Man
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 8252
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: SO AWESOME /)^3^/)

Re: General RP Rules

Postby mind-controlled-bunny@_@ on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:06 pm

OzLionHeart wrote:Well, any that haven't been used in the comic, at least.

I'm not sure that applies anymore since we as a group no longer represent part of Dan's fan base.
User avatar
mind-controlled-bunny@_@
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 5531
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 4:14 pm
Location: </3

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Cameo on Sat May 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Author-Man wrote:On another, unrelated note, something that really bugs me is when a person who posts in an RP disc thread has no intention of joining and has, in fact, not shown any interest prior to posting. It's really immensely rude, even if you ignore the amount of raw arrogance it takes to assume that the people who do wantto join give a flying f**k (pardon the French) about your opinion. I don't mind so much if someone near the start who isn't interested posts to say why, but that's it. Out of common courtesy, I'm not gonna single anyone out with specific examples.

I cannot possibly imagine who might do such a thing. :shifty:
ImageImageImageImageImage
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Anyone who wants to draw Cameo can refer to this.
Hooray for avatars I made!
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
The Cammy Guarantee: All sig quotes make sense in context!
User avatar
Cameo
Keenspot Deity
 
Posts: 12719
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:19 pm
Location: My Face O'Clock

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Malachy19 on Mon May 04, 2009 11:53 am

Cameo wrote:
Author-Man wrote:On another, unrelated note, something that really bugs me is when a person who posts in an RP disc thread has no intention of joining and has, in fact, not shown any interest prior to posting. It's really immensely rude, even if you ignore the amount of raw arrogance it takes to assume that the people who do wantto join give a flying f**k (pardon the French) about your opinion. I don't mind so much if someone near the start who isn't interested posts to say why, but that's it. Out of common courtesy, I'm not gonna single anyone out with specific examples.

I cannot possibly imagine who might do such a thing. :shifty:


Ooooooooh......buuuuuuuurned!

He got your number, babes.
"Everyone wants my bacon. My delicious Canadian Bacon" -Camo
All my Characters, in one handy Place
Magical School Wiki ---
User avatar
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity
 
Posts: 18349
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Behind a mass of writhing tentacles

Re: General RP Rules

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Tue May 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Don't burn Cameo.
The smell of burning flesh, and hair is nasty, but I enjoy the screams.

*Puts peg on nose*
Burn away.
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
User avatar
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 5363
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Hiding in Amy Winehouses Beehive.

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Joat on Wed May 27, 2009 5:35 pm

You cannot magic up help via NPCs during a battle. Thats not fair.


That last part seems a bit iffy to me. I’ve seen people play perfectly balanced summoners before. Of course, there would have to be a limit on the time/amount of summons.
Image

“In fact, it can be intriguing to have real conversations with dream characters, such as physics or philosophy discussions; you may discover they know more than you do.” - Wikibooks article

My Characters

My blog

Inventory
TF Gun
Kamikaze pack extension
Wand of Nagamar
Chrome Staff
6-pack Unlabeled Shrink Soda (3 left)
Yet Another Can of Unlabeled Soda
Squirrel Teddy
Book of Taeri
Draco, My Talking Pet Veron (Fire-breathing, teleporting fox)
User avatar
Joat
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 3079
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:21 am
Location: In LPW, doing nothing in particular

Re: General RP Rules

Postby The kool on Wed May 27, 2009 5:39 pm

That's starting to get into the realm of Good Judgement, and you can't really put rules on that. Either you have it or you don't.
Mayhem: We're not crazy, you're just too sane.

Current avatar: That would be Tyrion. Or his head, at any rate.
You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.
Since counters seem popular, The warnings on my IDBs have been ignored 3 times.

Image
Image

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it. - Edgar Allen Poe
I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Logic is fun. It makes great squealing noises when you torture it. - BRE
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
User avatar
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:53 am
Location: Somewhere on this side of a rainbow...

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Amon Star on Sat May 30, 2009 8:09 am

Joat wrote:
You cannot magic up help via NPCs during a battle. Thats not fair.

That last part seems a bit iffy to me. I’ve seen people play perfectly balanced summoners before. Of course, there would have to be a limit on the time/amount of summons.

I think that more means NPCs randomly turning up to save you, than you can't cast a spell. This I reasonable agree with, as done badly it's a form of Deus Ex Machina.
The kool wrote:That's starting to get into the realm of Good Judgement, and you can't really put rules on that. Either you have it or you don't.

Fully agreed, but the reason this thread is even needed is because too few people have that.
Last edited by Amon Star on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
My RP Characters

My Battle Cry: "I'm going to bruise you until you taste like chicken, and dip you in uranium!!"
Weapon of Choice: Gilded Boxing Gloves.
anti-paragon wrote:Besides, does Keenspot really want vagabond bunnies raving through the forums, huddling near flamewars to keep warm and eating the offal of slain strips?
User avatar
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 8521
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:01 am

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Author-Man on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:27 pm

Malachy19 wrote:
Cameo wrote:
Author-Man wrote:On another, unrelated note, something that really bugs me is when a person who posts in an RP disc thread has no intention of joining and has, in fact, not shown any interest prior to posting. It's really immensely rude, even if you ignore the amount of raw arrogance it takes to assume that the people who do wantto join give a flying f**k (pardon the French) about your opinion. I don't mind so much if someone near the start who isn't interested posts to say why, but that's it. Out of common courtesy, I'm not gonna single anyone out with specific examples.

I cannot possibly imagine who might do such a thing. :shifty:


Ooooooooh......buuuuuuuurned!

He got your number, babes.


Believe it or not, I actually wasn't referring to Cammy. Though, yeah, she does it too. I suppose you might have a good point, but that doesn't make it not rude.

Take that, Cameo!
Let's Plays (on hiatus 'til I get a mic)
[09:55:06] <AM|Slep> I'm surprised Doc Scratch is only now noticing that Spades Slick has set his house on fire.
[09:55:23] <@toothsomeCameo> Or at least only now caring about it?
[09:55:42] <AM|Slep> Yeah, see, the flashing ! tells me there's some modicum of surprise there.
[09:55:50] <@toothsomeCameo> This is true.
[09:56:13] <AM|Slep> That, or he saw a suspicious cardboard box.
[09:56:33] <AM|Slep> He's about to walk over to it and flip it over, only to find Solid Nepeta under it.

[21:40:31] <AM|Hate> Terezi Owns is also awesome.
[21:40:35] <toothsomeCameo> Sadly.
User avatar
Author-Man
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 8252
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: SO AWESOME /)^3^/)

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Cameo on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:32 pm

I'm rude! :D
ImageImageImageImageImage
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Anyone who wants to draw Cameo can refer to this.
Hooray for avatars I made!
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
The Cammy Guarantee: All sig quotes make sense in context!
User avatar
Cameo
Keenspot Deity
 
Posts: 12719
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:19 pm
Location: My Face O'Clock

Re: General RP Rules

Postby Malachy19 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 am

*tentacle thwap*
"Everyone wants my bacon. My delicious Canadian Bacon" -Camo
All my Characters, in one handy Place
Magical School Wiki ---
User avatar
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity
 
Posts: 18349
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Behind a mass of writhing tentacles

 
Previous

Return to Mayhem

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests