[Disc] Dungeon game

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

[Disc] Dungeon game

Postby ChroniclerC on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Link to game thread

This will play more like a board game than an RP, but RP motivations are welcome.

Slots remaining: 1, but you'll have to convince me

It was supposed to be just a scouting mission. Basic archeology. The ruins looked to have been abandoned for ages, so you didn't even bring heavy weapons. But as you made camp that night, it was clear that something was watching you. Everyone in the group could feel it. None of you quite remember how the attack begun or quite what it was. Those who fought, died. You're sure of it. You ran. By some fluke of fate, many of you ran the same direction. It didn't matter which direction, so long as it was away. Panic and instinct guided you. They were not good guides. You woke up to the sun shining down on you from the collapsed ceiling, luckily having escaped the fall with just a few scrapes and bruises. But there was no way you were leaving the way you came. And you needed to leave. Preferably before sundown, when it would come to find you...

Name:
Gender & Species: Setting is Mayhem Metaverse, so almost anything goes. Human-like size, shape, and power-level please.
Talents: Again, human-like power level, but you were chosen to join the group for a reason. However, you are currently unarmed (including of magical or hyper-tech abilities); tools, weapons, and power sources were left behind when you fled.
Appearance:
???: Mystery slot. Purpose to be revealed later. :smug:
Last edited by ChroniclerC on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Re: Taking applications for a mystery game

Postby Drayco on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Murder mystery?

I'm in. I will play a small child. Nobody ever suspects the catboy.
Current Avatar: Drayco, new and improved. Thanks Sanchay!
And it's a link too! Adawwable.
And random links:
This, my friends, is why I use a Mac.
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Clarification. What the game will be is currently a mystery, not that it will be a game about mystery. Take what you will from the intro, but character motivations that lend themselves to cooperation would be greatly appreciated.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby OzLionHeart on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:07 pm

I'm interested.

I shall have the inevitable catgirl. (There is always at least one - Mayhem Rule 68. :wink: )
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Drayco on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Roan.

Cooperative enough? :3
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Only if you don't mind traumatizing... him... :okthen:

Forgot who I was talking to. Carry on.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby nightshadow on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:26 am

I reserve the right to make a character that mysteriously disappears from the story after a few pages on account of me not paying attention.
The only defining characteristic between knowledge and belief is the point of view.
If making a story or RP is like baking cookies, then angst is the vanilla extract. You don't put any in, and the final product is bland, and tasteless. Put too much in, and it's bitter and gross. But if you use just the right amount, then you get something truly delicious.
This Week's Avatar: Me!
ImageImage
And now, my DeviantART!
ليس هناك ما هو صحيح، وكل ما هو مسموح به
nightshadow
Keenspot Despot

Postby Amon Star on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:46 am

I would like to play, if being in a vastly different time zone won't be a problem.
My RP Characters

My Battle Cry: "I'm going to bruise you until you taste like chicken, and dip you in uranium!!"
Weapon of Choice: Gilded Boxing Gloves.
anti-paragon wrote:Besides, does Keenspot really want vagabond bunnies raving through the forums, huddling near flamewars to keep warm and eating the offal of slain strips?
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Drayco on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:30 am

ChroniclerC wrote:Only if you don't mind traumatizing... him... :okthen:

Forgot who I was talking to. Carry on.

Roan. The youngest and simultaneously probably the most mature of my characters.

Also, he's cuddlier now due to fuzziness.

Name: Roan Bluemoon
Gender & Species: Male, Beastman (Serath-verse)
Talents: You are 15 YEARS OLD, despite looking more like you're 12 or 13. You have a variety of INTERESTS, among them SLEIGHT OF HAND TRICKS, LOCKPICKING and ALCHEMY, but have NO MATERIALS with which to use either. Your BEASTMAN HERITAGE makes you EXCEPTIONALLY AGILE and gives you a RATHER SUBSTANTIAL ENDURANCE, as well as enhancing your senses of HEARING and SMELL. You are PRETTY SMART FOR YOUR AGE, but mostly just in your quick wits.
You are also SLIGHTLY PSIONIC and have the power to create SPHERES that embody ONE WORD CONCEPTS... but have never had time to develop your powers much, and are now too tired to use them anyway. You can, however, create HARMLESS SNOW-BALLS, which you can THROW PRETTY FAR.

However, when someone brings up your APPARENT LACK OF BEASTMAN TOTEM or THE FACT THAT YOUR POWER IS BALLS, you tend to lapse into a period of comical depression.
Appearance:
???: 42
Last edited by Drayco on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby Sanchay on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Dammit, I'm gonna regret doing this, but I couldn't resist. It was too... wait for it...................... mysterious.

Probably gonna be more active in this than the Bar, but it was a nice way to get back here :P

Name: Foresnapps, called "Force" as it was the easiest to convey into words
Gender & Species: Technically male, but being an alien, it's a little different than human terms. Think troll anatomy. (Warning, NSFW for alien genitals)
Talents: Slight shapeshifting ability, limited to growing spikes along his head and back; emission of paralytic spores from his tail; and empathic communication, being able to convey the emotions of both himself and others around him to another.
Appearance: Image (Click for bigger size and slightly longer desc)
???: o.o
Last edited by Sanchay on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBZ Abridged wrote:Chichi: Did you have to carry a child around inside you for nine months with a husband that literally thought there were Cinnabons hidden in your shirt?!

Images are clickable.

ImageImage
Sanchay
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:07 pm

...not that it sounds weird or anything, but I figured I'd post this bio for a chance to join?

Name: Lapis O. Rimewing
Gender & Species: Female, Ryusho (Celtari species)
Talents: Since she lacks a book for reference at the moment, the only powers she has are her smarts and intelligence, which is mostly made of whatever books she's read. Most of the books she's read are on biology, science and a bunch of general knowledge, though a few were self-defense so she has some physical combat capability. She's good at analyzing and figuring out most riddles and puzzles, though not exceptional. Very much a 'brainy type' in terms of talents.
Appearance: Image
this should suffice for a decent description. Possible non-armored version will come at some time.
Current Avatar: Lapis O. Rimewing, lined by Sanchay, colored by me.
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Contrary to popular belief, THE INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS." --- Kalga
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Okay, since we have enough people that I can probably actually run this, time to do a bit more 'splainin'. This will not be an RP in the fashion that you guys are used to, but something more akin to a board game. You know, one of those really complicated board games you find at comic and gaming stores. I will, to the best of my sprite-art stick-figure ability, draw the actions of your characters as you explore the ruins. Each drawing will be a single turn, and what you can do within a single turn will be determined by the rules and your character's abilities. Each room will have its own things to find and obstacles to overcome. Hopefully, you'll find your way out and have a good time in the process.

Or maybe you'll join the remains of those who didn't escape. Time will tell.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Sanchay on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Can we use the room template to make our own drawings to advance? owo

You know, rather than explaining with words and such :P Like "I attempt to swing at slime" but rather just show my charrie trying to swing at slime
DBZ Abridged wrote:Chichi: Did you have to carry a child around inside you for nine months with a husband that literally thought there were Cinnabons hidden in your shirt?!

Images are clickable.

ImageImage
Sanchay
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Drayco on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Ahaha. I remember this from the Goblins boards. Badass.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Drayco wrote:Ahaha. I remember this from the Goblins boards. Badass.

Give the man a Cupie doll!

Sanchay wrote:Can we use the room template to make our own drawings to advance? owo

You know, rather than explaining with words and such :P Like "I attempt to swing at slime" but rather just show my charrie trying to swing at slime

Not so much. Unless you request actions to happen in a particular order, everything happens at the same time. It'll be my job to display this chaotic mess. And don't worry about "trying" to hit things. Do, or do not. There is no try. =P I won't punish you too hard to trying to do things outside your character's abilities. They know better than you.

Since Drayco knows the gametype, I'll explain the finer rules to you guys. Every turn you get an Action and a Move. Pretty much anything you do will take an Action. The Move is to move between rooms; movement within a single room is free, so long as it's not too crazy. You may also spend your Action as a second Move. Talking is free. Dropping items is free. Trading items with a nearby player is free, so long as neither player is attacking (otherwise it's the giving player's Action). Changing equipment is free, so long as you're not attacking (otherwise it's an Action). Entering an unexplored room ends your turn.

HP (Hit Points): How much damage a creature can take before dying. Most PCs will have a max HP of 5, other creatures may have more or less.
Atk (Attack): How much damage you deal when attacking. Most PCs will start with Atk 1, but this can be augmented with equipment.
Def (Defense): How much Atk you can withstand before taking real damage. Def is applied only once to all damage taken in a turn, so multiple attacks in a single round are more effective than single attacks over several rounds. Most PCs will start with Def 1.
Pow (Power): The might of non-physical attacks, like magic or fire. You do not have a Pow stat unless an item or ability grants you one.
Res (Resist): How you withstand non-physical attacks. Pow and Res interact in the same way as Atk and Def. Most PCs will start with Res 1.

In keeping with the spirit of the original game, metagaming is not only allowed, it's encouraged. Feel free to act upon any player knowledge and talk the table to death. :D
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Well now, this is certainly going to be quite the fun game then. I'm certain to enjoy it, sounds like a lot of difficult puzzle-solving and even some basic reaction scenarios. ^_^
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby Amon Star on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:03 am

Hmm, well, we already have a Smart Guy, a Chick and possible a Big Guy, so I think I'll go for a Lancer type.

Name: Craig Mitchell.
Species: Lesser Chimera (Human/Squirrel).
Talents: Craig has two forms, human and anthro-squirrel. However, he can't speak in his second one and shifting is painful and tiring. Apart from that, he's very stealthy and an excellent survivalist, with vast knowledge of the wilderness. Musty old tombs, not so much. P.S. He also knows sign language.
Appearance: Spends most of his time in squirrel form, where he doesn't bother with clothes except various belts, pouches and packs. He also normally wears a magically collar that lets him talk in that form, but of course that got left at the camp.
My RP Characters

My Battle Cry: "I'm going to bruise you until you taste like chicken, and dip you in uranium!!"
anti-paragon wrote:Besides, does Keenspot really want vagabond bunnies raving through the forums, huddling near flamewars to keep warm and eating the offal of slain strips?
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Drayco on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:30 am

Welp now I've got homestuck on the brain. Rewrote Roan's bio appropriately.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby OzLionHeart on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 am

As promised, the inevitable catgirl.

Name: Mina Danforth

Species: Anthrofeline

Talents: Mina is a natural athlete and (novice) martial artist. She was hired for the dig as a "jill-of-all-trades", having a range of odd skills useful on the dig (particularly being able to improvise tools and make running repairs to things), and knows a couple of different languages (including sign language, although she isn't as fluent in that as she would like to be). Being an anthrofeline, she has very good night vision and hearing, and is as naturally agile as you would expect.

Appearance: She stands about 5' 6", with an athletic figure. Her fur is a medium brown, with dark grey stripes on her arms and tail. She has blue eyes, and dark hair, usually worn in a ponytail. Currently dressed in jeans, and a black T-shirt with the words "I'M NOBODY'S P***Y" on it (yes, with the asterisks).
Last edited by OzLionHeart on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:56 pm

I think I'm happy with that. Anyone else who wants to join (or anyone you guys wanna drag in) has 'till the end of the week to get here. At least two more players would be ideal.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 pm

*looks at the Lapis stick-figure*

why do I love that little stick figure so much? :evilgrin:
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby Amon Star on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 am

Right, lets get started then.

Action: Search the current room.
My RP Characters

Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Drayco on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:55 am

I think the squirrel needs a bit more tail. X3 Otherwise adorable.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby Sanchay on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:27 pm

Drayco wrote:I think the squirrel needs a bit more tail. X3 Otherwise adorable.

Seconded. also kudos to insanely cute Sticky Force

Images are clickable.

ImageImage
Sanchay
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChroniclerC on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Okay ladies and gentlecritters, this is how things will go down. Every day, give or take, I will post the turn. You guys will then post your actions. The next evening, if everyone has posted, I'll post the next turn. If not, I'll wait one more day. If by then the person hasn't posted, that character does nothing useful that turn. If you can't make it for a few days, go ahead and post saying so, and we can wait for you or have people vote for what your character does. Turns are no more than a minute-long, and usually half or a quarter that. If your action is too vague, your character does what I deem the funniest option. Similarly, I may take creative liberties on the specifics of actions and conversations. I will attempt to remain within the character's personality and, of course, I will follow Wheaton's Law.

Everyone will be starting at the following stats:
HP: 4/5
Atk: 1
Def: 1

Link to game!
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to Mayhem