[Disc] System Seven: a sci-fi RP

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

[Disc] System Seven: a sci-fi RP

Postby Piane on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Info dump incoming. Don't worry though, it may be big and intimidating, but it is mostly flavour text.

Roland's notes:
The Final Wars, and the Exodus

<<Message Begins>>
Greetings. for those of you that don't know me, you can call me 'Roland'. I'm a history teacher, or at least, this is what I've been doing in my spare time. There hasn't been much of an emphasis on knowledge of our past in our current school system, which is a shame, considering how interesting it is.

I might as well start simple, although it's been a full two hundred years since we've arrived in our current state of affairs, and has been a total of five hundred years ago, in which an event happened that put us in that state. I am of course, talking about the final war on Earth.

Earth… It's not a name you hear often these days.

The exact date is late to time, but around the late 21st, early 22nd century, humanity reached a breaking point. As a result of overpopulation, limited resources, and general animosity, global war broke out. The first of a series of wars, if fact. Now, I don't support war, for the most part, but if there is any advantage of war, it's population reduction. These wars claimed billions of lives, making the first two world wars look like small scuffles in comparison. Not to mention, thanks to advances in technology, there where new, interesting, and ultimately, horrific ways to die. Designer viruses, plasma based flame weapons, just to name a couple. No one deployed nuclear weapons, due to the nature of the wars, if it was a struggle for resources, why destroy them with nukes? So smaller scale atrocities where committed. Some might say, "Wait, what about the war conventions that banned such horrible weapons?" Well, it seems fine to dictate how wars should be fought during times of peace, but when a real war brakes out, there is no such thing as 'civil'. So these 'rules of war' are considered quant niceties.

Even though pains were taken to prevent devastation to the things being fought for, the tragedy of war, and Finagle's law states that, in the end, it will all end badly. The world is worse off then it was before the wars, technology was knocked back several decades, and humanity needed to look for a new future, one beyond the fragile little blue-green planet.

Space. It was inevitable. Research was conducted to expand on some of the technologies developed during the war, including the many projects that were planned 'just in case' everything went foul, a good foresight.

The first wave the ships built, dubbed 'generation ships' due to the fact that it was expected for the voyage to take many generations, centuries even, to reach their destination, many lightyears from Earth. The colonists would not be the ones that set out, but the decedents, who where born onboard the ships. Equipped with a very basic version of the modern hyperdrive, it took slightly longer then expected to reach a habitable planet, and due to the inexperience of traveling in hyperspace (since, no one had done it before) some ships were lost in transit, and haven't been heard of since, but it's been centuries; so I doubt they'll just appear out of the blue. Maybe we'll stumble upon colonies founded by these ships.
<<Message Ends>>

Since the Beta Minnix game fell apart, I decided to try my hand a as a GM, and make my own sci-fi game.

All the setting info will be out in due time, I just need to know if people are actually interested in this.

One major detail that needs to be covered is weather or not you guys want a single ship with one player as the captain, or everyone being captain of their own ship, and having a fleet.

Before anyone asks, no, there are no aliens, no AIs and no psi powers. There is a reason for this. But there are genetically modified humans, cybernetics, and some 'superscience'.

So, questions, comments, plagiarism accusations?

---------------

Bio template

Name:
Physical Description: Include your typical outfit. The ship's dress code is casual, but be sensible.
Personality:
Skillset: In other words, what you are trained to do. Can be more then one thing, but keep it sane.
Position: Your role onboard ship.
Possessions: This includes weapons and other specialized equipment.
Origin: Are you a core worlder, colonial or born and raised onboard a ship?
Body Mods: Any cybernetics or gene modifications you may have.

History:

Theme song: Fun, but not necessary.
Other details: Anything not covered in the above.

---------------

Here's the ship that the game will be centred around:

MMS Rurik

Ship Class: Florina Light Freighter (Q-ship Variant)
Loaded Mass: 3KT (3000 tonnes)
Length: 75m (248 feet)
Crew: 6 Bridge Crew (Captain, First Officer, Navigator, Operator, Gunner, Pilot) 2 Engineers (engine room), 1 cook (meal hall), 1 administrator, 1 Doctor
11 in total. (Any positions not filled by players will be filled by NPCs)
Hull: Defector enhanced Nanocomposite
Propulsion: Nova Systems Grav Drive, providing 3G (Gravities) of thrust; approximately 29.41 metres/s². It is also equipped with a stardrive.
Power plant: 3 Zodiac 150 tonne fusion reactors
Comm/Sensors: Standard Nova Systems Array.
Weapons: 3 L&K ver. 027 300MJ Particle cannons mounted on a single turret, Nova Systems PD Laser Battery (10MJ rapid pulse automated; 10 guns in total)
Cargo Capacity 600 tonnes (1/5 of loaded mass)

Facilities:
-Cabin Space for 21 crew
-Briefing Room
-Admin Office
-Meal Hall
-Sickbay (2 beds)
-Automated mini-factory
-Brig (4 cells)

Captained By: Sergei Boden
Origin: Manufactured by the Nova Systems Shipyard at Dresden

Profile: The Rurik is based off the popular Florina Class Freighter, and is repurposed for pirate hunting, with enhanced armour, equipped deflectors and a battery of particle cannons. It's designation of 'MMS' marks it as a 'Merchant Mercenary Ship'. This is due to the fact that it has too much firepower to be considered a ordinary civilian ship.
Last edited by Piane on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Current avatar: Shizuo from Durarara, ready to kick Izaya's head in.
Current theme song: "21st Century Schizoid Man" By King Crimson

Hello, and welcome to the mental heath hotline...
Piane
Keenspot Despot

Re: [Disc] System Seven: a sci-fi RP

Postby nokvok on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:46 pm

Interested, but too sick to think of questions or stuff.
Need to look up something about my chars? Here's the list: Characters List (Updated 4/5/11)
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 am

In general, if I'm going to do something RPish, I'd much rather we be playing individuals, preferably with a common goal. I've seen many RPs where people with multiple characters descended into just playing with themselves.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby nokvok on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 pm

I'd prefer everyone on one ship. The Captain doesn't even have to be a PC.
Also either the chars know each other as friends or something, or they should probably working/living at the same area to make for more interaction. A classic would be the PCs all being in the bridge crew.
Need to look up something about my chars? Here's the list: Characters List (Updated 4/5/11)
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby The kool on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:59 am

I'm vaguely interested. Let's see where you take things.
Mayhem: We're not crazy, you're just too sane.

Current avatar: That would be Tyrion. Or his head, at any rate.
You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.
Since counters seem popular, The warnings on my IDBs have been ignored 3 times.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it. - Edgar Allen Poe
I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Logic is fun. It makes great squealing noises when you torture it. - BRE
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piane on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Well, that's two votes for the single ship plan...

I was planing on giving role of captain to one of the players because it gives a little more freedom. If no one wants it, it'll be filled by an npc.

Lastly, only three people? Everyone, come on in! I don't bite... hard.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby Piane on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Looks like I have to double post... Oh well.

I promised more info; so here it is.

Orion Interstellar Union (OIU)
"The Modern Equivalent of the United Nations of Old Earth, and about as effective… it was a failure before it started."
-Roland

With the Orion star system at it's centre, the OIU is a collection of systems with mutual interests. However, many would consider the name 'union' a bid of a joke, since their unity is fleeting at best. Most of the smaller planet-states are more likely to rely on mercenaries to bolster their forces during times of crises, then to attempt to petition for support of another planet-state. This is due to the bureaucratic procedures, that make it easier to find money to hire those mercenaries, rather than deploy the military.

Core Worlds

There are three major worlds, that make up the centre of the OIU.

Orion Star System

Boeotia (Boe-o-tia)
The centre of the OIU. It is named after the home of the hunter Orion. Also known as the capital planet, it is situated in the Orion star system, on the inner edge of the habitable zone, or HZ. As a result, the surface temperatures where uncomfortably high. After years of climate change, the colonists increased the cloud density, and now the planet is overcast most of the year.

As the seat of the OIU, the local gov't seeks to remain neutral all disputes, and is unwilling to aggravate any member nations. This has lead the belief that the locals are spineless. However should a member nation significantly violate the OIU charter, Boeotia will be the first nation to spearhead a 'police action' in retaliation.

Dresden

Almost a direct opposite of Boeotia, not only in temperature. On the outer edge of Orion's HZ, with frigid weather most of if significantly longer year. Most of the surface is covered in tundras, glaciers, and boreal forests.

The Orion Central Forces (OCF) are based in Dresden, and a large amount of Dresden's GDP is dedicated to it's military. Their stance in the political stage is aggressive. Despite the harsh weather, the people of Dresden have flourished, with significant heavy industry; with a focus in ship building.

Accord Star System

Asklepian

A radical science world, currently making leaps and bounds within the field of biotechnology and cybernetics. Climate is fair, almost earth-like. Major powers influencing the local gov't include the Malakai Corporation, who are directly involved with the recent technology boom.

Political stance is apathetic, with some isolationist policies; they are opposed to any intrusion from the Interpol. Relations are particularly tense with Dresden.

Outer worlds

Besides the ones listed here, there are many outer colonies and outposts.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby nokvok on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:49 pm

So if it gonna play on a ship, what kind of ship is it? What kind of characters are wanted?
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piane on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:10 pm

I was planing on leaving it up to you guys to decide what type of ship you'd be using, but the positions are pretty standard.

Every ship needs a captain, and a first officer (also known as second in command, or 2IC) There will be a chief of operations, and operators, who handle sensors, communications and the like. The ship will be controlled by a pilot, who will be guided by a navigator. Weapons are handled by the chief or artillery, and his/her crew of gunners. On small ships, engineering and maintenance are handled by one or two crewmen, but on large ships there will be a full team of engineers and technicians. Any competent captain will invest in a medical facility, even if it's no larger then a basic sick bay; needless to say, it needs to be staffed by a doctor. And lastly there is ship management, accountants, cooks, security and such.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChroniclerC on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Okay, the question I really should remember to ask from the start by now: Do you have a major plot in mind, or was you idea more to create a setting and let the players make their own story?
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piane on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:43 pm

I have a main plot, yes, but I'm going to change it to suit the players. So a bit of both.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby nokvok on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:18 am

Well, I am playing with the Idea of a Navigator, who fled from a world that fell under one of those 'police action' things a few years ago...
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piane on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 am

Just a few minor details to ask about this world, mainly it's name, whether or not it is a major or minor colony, it's climate (Was it an Earth-like garden world, or a Mars-like wasteland) and it's main exports. Finally, why would it have been a target of a police action. You and I need to discuss this somehow.

For the uninitiated, a 'Police action' is (According to Wikipedia) a "Euphemism for a military action undertaken without a formal declaration of war." A good example of this would be the Korean War 'Conflict'. Calling them controversial would be an understatement.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby nokvok on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:04 pm

Askleous
Askleous is a small, terran world and one of the first colonies of the Spacefaring Mankind. It's dry climate forced the settlers to build large, closed Arkologies instead of open cities. But still the living and working conditions favored a mutation that gave the Askleans a metallic shimmering skin which is more resistant to solar radiation and corrossive metal oxides, but tends to fungus infections in humid air.
Askleous never was a wealthy world, but lived quite well of mining and research in acrigulture. Same research has recently become a bone of contention, as Corporations from Asklepian started a harsh competition for the public researchers of Askleous.
The financial and political power of the Asklepian Corporations lead to enormous pressure, law suits, spionage, propaganda almost ruined the Asklean Agriculture industry. The public frustration culminated in protests, riots and repeated 'terroristic attacks' on Malakai branch offices.
Due to the apathy of the Asklepian goverment the situation had to escalate before it was addressed before the OIU, but when it was, the Influence of the Malakai (and similar) Corporations took care that instead of trade sanctions, a fully fledged 'police action' was ordered to 'aid the Asklean Governement in eleminating the terroristic activity'.
The result is that OCF troops control the planet, an OIU governer was appointed to oversee the Governments actions and the 'terrorist attacks' have multiplied in number and force, the previously public mining and agriculture companies got privatized and got bought mostly by Malakai respectively Military Companies from Dresden.

... the character itself comes another time.
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piane on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:26 am

One of the minor details I need to drop again, is that Dresden and Asklepian do not like each other, so Boeotia would need to get involved just to make them play nice with each other. Having all three core worlds ganging up on one colony would be a... bad day for that colony.

Hey look, it's time for another Info Dump! (Yaaay!...)

<<Message Begins>>
Roland's Notes:
Technology

We are now in the Space age, some call it the 'Star Age' since we're no longer bound to a single star system. We've developed means to travel beyond any simple boundary, now we are only limited by time, and the speed in which the technology takes us.

Space ships, and the innovations behind them

Stardrives
One of the greatest innovations of our species yet, is a new drive system, that allows us to travel faster then light. This hyperdrive, stardrive, reality bender, whatever you want to call it, relies on a quirk in physics, and the existence of dimensions other then ours. I can't comprehend, or even begin to explain the science behind it, so I'll give you the layman's terms that where given to me. Imagine our multidimensional universe to be a layered sphere, like an onion. We sit on the outer layer, we'll call this 'normal space'. Since it has the most surface area, it takes the most time to travel across, but no special technology is required. However, if you can lower yourself to the inner layers, which have less surface area to cross, it'll take less time to travel great distances.
You with me so far? So what this 'stardrive' does, makes the 'drive' part of the name a bit of a misnomer. It's more like the pressure hull and ballast tanks of a submarine, allowing us to access these lower layers; or, at least, that's how I understand it.

Gravity generation
Any large amount of mass will for some kind of force. A kind of attraction. The only way I can explain this one is that the generator simulates this effect.

Grav Drive (Reactionless engines)
After making one device that can brake laws of physics, humanity went on to make the laws brake even further, and developed a method of propulsion that doesn't need reaction mass to operate.
In other words, doesn't need fuel. Now, the technology that makes this one work is the same stuff that makes artificial gravity generators and gravitic compensators work. Although, once more, I'm no scientist, so I will give you the basics. Just as gravity generators produce an attractive force on the deck of a ship, grave drives create a repulsive force behind the ship, pushing it forward.

Ship armour
So, drive systems are all well and good, but unless we have something to protect us from the void of space, it's all a moot point. Although, for over a century before the collapse we had capable (If expensive) ships with effective shielding, I'm going to tell you about the more modern hull types.

-Metallic laminates
By using more then one type of metal, having tough outer layers backed by flexible inner layers. This is a concept that has been used in sword smithing for centuries; usually by cultures with little to no access to good quality steel. However, now we have access to new, modern materials; and any nation with the resources to send ships into space is pretty well off. So by using the best metals and polymers, this is one of the most widespread hull types.

-Nanocomposites
With the invention of nanotechnology, modern ship-makers can transcend the way we build hulls. This material is used mainly by militaries and other high risk fields with big budgets, as the price tag that comes with this stuff is scarier then the weapons that the ship will be carrying. Needless to say, NC hulls are much tougher then any other available. It has also seen use to manufacture body armour.

Generation Ships
When we left Earth, there was one problem, how would we do it? The answer was these titanic constructions, also known as colony ships. Relying on a basic version if the modern stardrive, these ships allowed us to leave the Sol system, and travel the stars to a new home, or should I say homes? At any rate, every space capable nation built their own ship.

Other Tech

Powered exoskeletons
Also known as 'exosuits', they provide ordinary humans with much greater strength, allowing them to handle larger loads, heavier weapons, or low-G worlders to operate normally in higher gravities. Thanks to synthetic fibres that behave similar to muscle tissue, (meaning that the fibres contract when exposed to electric current) once bulky exosuits have become compact and practical.
Now, layer on some armour, air-seal it against a vacuum, add climate control and other suitable features, and you have a Battlesuit, the most recent edge in infantry equipment. They come in many sizes, from compact 'commando' models to heavy 'assault' variants.

Body Protection
Besides the aforementioned powered armour, which require power and are restricted (not to mention expensive) New materials allow even light and thin clothing to provide considerable protection. Between rigid armour, bodysuits and conventional clothing, self protection is always an option.

-Bioplastic
"A strong pseudo-alive smart material" is how it's being advertised nowadays, bioplastic is recent innovation. It it self-sealing, repairing damage as long as it has access to heat and moisture. As a result, it is commonly used for light space suits and counter-pressure suits.

-Nanocomposite
See entry on ship armour.

-Nanoweave
Using similar technology that is used for making nanocomposites, but as a cloth material. It is also 'reflexive'; this means although normally flexible, when it is hit with a sudden shock, such as a bullet impact, it suddenly becomes temporarily rigid, for better protection.

Weapons

Lasers ("flashlights")
Come it two flavours; high efficiency, high rate of fire IR lasers, and super long range UV lasers. Mainly used by civilians due to light restrictions, and by militaries for point defence (IR) and artillery use (UV)

Plasma (Fusion guns, "heaters")
Space equivalent of shotguns. Short ranged, high recoil guns firing bolts of condensed plasma. With limited armour penetration, but high damage output, they are favoured by pirates and some militaries for use against lightly armoured ships. Hand-held versions are bulky, and tend to require an exosuit to give the necessary strength to handle them.

Particle (Ion cannons, "hull brakers")
By accelerating streams of charged electrons or neutrons to near light speeds, beams fired from these weapons bear the appearance of linear lightning. With decent range and high armour penetration, these weapons see primary use by military forces. Currently the leading edge in weapons technology; they are, however far too bulky and hand-held versions are unavailable.

Electromagnetic (Rail guns, "electro-mags")
Old tech weapons. One of the few ship weapon types still in use that rely on solid ammo to cause damage. Can fire slugs, or unconventional nuke warheads.

Missiles
The other solid ammo weapon. Due to their guidance electronics, they are the most accurate, but slow speed allows them to be easily targeted by PD lasers. They are also cripplingly expensive. Also used as a vehicle to deliver nukes.

Nuclear Weapons
Still in use, these weapons rarely see use for obvious reasons. Most nukes are 'cleaner' (But still very 'dirty') fusion warheads.

Electromagnetic Pulse Weapons (EMP, "circuit breakers")
Built from modified nukes, but with less of a blast and more of a shock. They are used to disable ships without destroying them, so pirates make extensive use of them; they also make great terror weapons. One of these weapons can fry all electronics within miles of the blast's epicentre. More controlled EMP weapons include microwave projection guns, for small scale devastation.

Electrothermal-chemical (ETC)
Using electrical power to cause a more efficient burn of the chemical propellant, ETC weapons are more potent than old-tech firearms. Not used in ship guns due to the prominence of electromagnetic weapons, ETC is still used for personal weapons, and ground vehicle weapons.

Taboo Tech

I'll take a moment to talk about some of the more… controversial developments made in recent history.

Bio-Tech
A catch all term used for fields such as genetic engineering, biological implants, and certain aspects of medicine, such as pharmaceuticals. I'll be telling you a bit about the first two of that list.

Genetic Engineering
This one was a dozy before it was even possible. It already causes problems within religious groups for it's associations with 'playing God'. Of course, most scientists don't care for these beliefs. However, the main issue that arises is it's use in creating man made 'designer' viruses. They were one of the big atrocities that plagued the collapse.

Although slight genetic manipulation to deal with things such as low-G muscle and bone degeneration as well as some diseases is simply in the realm of preventative medicine, the creation of entire human derived species is outlawed in many systems. These bio androids, or 'bioroids' have always caused social problems; being the only man-made constructs with sapient intelligence. Should they be conceded human? If not, what rights should they be given? Are they property? If you know anything about the history of cloning, this may sound similar…

Cyberwere and Bio-implants
Keep in mind, not all of this stuff is taboo, just certain aspects of it. Cybernetic prosthetics, heart replacements, etc. are all well and good, but just as medicine can cure, it can also poison, and implants are no different.

Nano Viruses
This one scares me. It's one thing to develop a super bug, but something that can replicate itself and do whatever you program it to do? The first mistake they made was to put 'virus' in the name; it's a proposed method of bio augmentation the relies on internal resources and nanomachines, fabricating new organs and manipulating genetic material over a long period of time. However, since it can be applied in many atrocious ways, most nations who practice 'safe' science have outright banned them, and the events of the Collapse will always make 'viral' tech a taboo. Of course, some corporations won't be held back by laws and regulations; but don't think too hard on it, or you might never get another decent night's sleep…
<<Message Ends>>

(PS: A big thank-you to GURPS: Ultra-Tech, which served as my biggest reference)
Last edited by Piane on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby Piane on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:51 pm

Hm, two double posts... This can't be good.

At any rate, I've posted the bio template and ship specs at the bottom of the first post.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby nokvok on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:27 am

Me like. Expect a Bio soon.
Also: more people need to join this one.
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piane on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:37 pm

I think I might've scared a few people off with the huge info dump at the beginning... I guess I got a little verbose.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby nokvok on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Maybe, though I like the Details. But then I am active GURPS player and know most things you are talking about ;)
Anyways, my Bio will come. Just needs a bit time, I was so clever to smack a coat hanger into my eye and it needs a few days until I can use the computer without pain killers again.
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby TingYi on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:23 pm

I vote one ship. I'm terribly unreliable as a player. I disappear for long periods. If I can think of a char on a ship where that would actually work and still be fun, I might join. I'm feeling the sci-fi vibe of late.
Happy Birthday [Insert name here]!
TingYi
Keenspot Deity

Postby mdm on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:37 pm

I might be interested.
mdm
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby TingYi on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Anyone here seen or read "A Ranger, A Cook, and A Hole in the Sky?"

If not, then I might have something interesting. If so, it might just spoil it.
TingYi
Keenspot Deity

Postby nokvok on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:27 pm

I haven't
I got a bio in my head, but no concentration to bring it down to file atm.
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piane on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Something I should mention, one of things that should be done first is to lay claim to a position on the ship. This is to prevent multiple people from making a character for the same position.

Also, I might as well make it formal; it will be a single ship, not a fleet. Since it seems that it was the more popular option.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby TingYi on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Cook.
TingYi
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to Mayhem