[Disc] Golden Sun RP

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

[Disc] Golden Sun RP

Postby ChroniclerC on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:57 am

Okay, so as the title implies, there's an idea for a Golden Sun RP bouncing around in my head, especially since Dark Dawn has been out for a little while now. Since I tend to get overblown with ideas for "mechanics" that don't really matter, I'm wondering how many people might be interested in putting up with me and my short attention spa- Oh! A butterfly! *chases*

-----Edit 1: Starting plot-----

It's been twenty years since the Golden Sun shone over Weyard and Alchemy was returned to the world. Incredible powers once thought to be myth have ravaged the land with their truth. But even as the rest of the world reels from change and its people reconsider what they thought they knew, the survivors of Vale carry on as they always have. Better than they used to, actually, once they repaired their lives from the destruction of their homes, and they're currently preparing for a great celebration to mark the anniversary of the event. Taking cues from Tolbi's Colosso festival, Vale's celebration will feature a contest of skill for those able to wield the powers of Alchemy and manipulate its elements of Earth, Fire, Air, and Water. Adepts - as these talented people are known - are gathering from all corners of the continent, and even a few from farther, to take place in the first of these festivals. It promises to be quite the occasion.

You are one of these Adepts, either as a guest for the festival or a resident of the new Vale, and you are part of the first generation born after the Golden Sun event. You're probably not here to participate in the competition, but you might know or even came with someone who is. Really, it's going to be a great big party, and you wouldn't miss it for the world.

-----Edit 2: Alchemy 101-----

Alchemy is the magic of the world of Weyard, and its practitioners are known as Adepts. Thematically, it's more like psychic powers, generally utilized by focus and force of will rather than arcane words and gestures. The energy used to power Alchemy is called "Psynergy", and this word is also used to describe the specific spells. Psynergy adheres to the four elements, and an Adept almost always works exclusively with a single element. Venus (Earth) adepts work with ground, stone, and wild nature (mainly plants). Mars (Fire) adepts work with fire, light, and emotion. Jupiter (Wind) adepts work with wind, lightning, and the mind. Mercury (Water) adepts work with water, ice, and healing. It used to be that Adepts were only born near sites of powerful psynergy, but the abundance of psynergy since the Golden Sun returned Alchemy to the world means that Adepts are being born everywhere, although the people of Vale have been Adepts for generations.

-----Edit 3: Quick & Dirty History (spoilers!), Psynergy & People, and Character Sheet-----

SPOILERS:A very long time ago, Alchemy and Psynergy were commonplace, and many great wonders were built. However, many scholars believed that Alchemy would destroy the world, and so they built four towers, one for each element. These towers, which came to be known as Elemental Lighthouses, mostly sealed away Alchemy from the world. However, it was later discovered that, without Alchemy, the world had begun to decay. So a group that eventually became known as the Warriors of Vale (despite only have the group really being from the town) lit the four Lighthouses and returned Alchemy to the world. The power from the four Lighthouses gathered over Mount Aleph (the place from where the journey of the Warriors of Vale all started, and the mountain which the village of Vale originally sat at the base of) and coalesced into a golden light before dispersing to the world. That light became known as the Golden Sun.

However, when the Golden Sun shone over the world, the land did not respond lightly to the sudden return of power. Massive natural disasters almost ripped the world asunder, and most of the maps had to be redrawn. Of particular note are Mount Aleph and the village of Vale at its foot, the latter of which was completely destroyed. What was once the tip of a mountain range became a craggy badlands, forcing the villagers to flee further south. And many other settlements were equally devastated, although most large cities either emerged relatively unscathed or were quickly repaired.

For the curious, general technology and culture level around the world is about on-par with early Renaissance Europe, although there are many exceptions, most notable being regions similar to imperial Rome, feudal Japan, and ancient Greece. (The games drew from a lot of different cultures.)

To most people who aren't Adepts, most Psynergy is completely invisible (although the resulting effects tend to be clear as day). Before the Golden Sun, most people didn't even know about Psynergy, and subtle Adepts could use their art to their advantage. These days, however, people tend to be more savvy, and can generally connect strange happenings and the person focusing really hard, although isolated regions cling to old superstitions.. To those who can see Psynergy, it appears as rings of energy flowing from the Adept into whatever they are manipulating. The specific manifestation varies, but oversized hands or tools made of the same energy are a common theme.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.  Or would it?  Yes.  Yes it would.  Even if that name was Carl.
[b]Element:[/b] The elements, of course, are Venus (Earth), Mars (Fire), Jupiter (Air), and Mercury (Water).
[b]Appearance:[/b] Gender, age, height, weight, clothing, all that good stuff.  Whadaya look like?
[b]Personality:[/b] What's your guy like?
[b]History:[/b] Where you from?  Where you been?  Why are you at the festival?
[b]Fighting Style:[/b] I would like to know what type of equipment and weapons your character prefers, but other than that I leave this open to personal description.
[b]Psynergy Style:[/b] If you want to pin down how you use Psynergy in a fight, look at the stuff at the bottom, but if you don't it's optional.  Right now, I just want generals.  If you're an Earth adept, to you tend to work more with stone?  Dirt?  Plants?  Does that Water Adept tend towards liquid water or frozen ice?
[b]Possessions:[/b] You own anything interesting?  Weapons?
[b]Specific Psynergy:[/b] OPTIONAL!
You get two basic attack Psynergy, one other basic Psynergy (which can be a third attack if you choose), and choose two advanced Psynergy for your character to learn later.  You may take the same type of Psynergy more than once; it'll have a different thematic effect, but a similar mechanical one.  Also, this doesn't include minor psynergy tricks that wouldn't be of much use in combat, such as moving heavy objects around, or filling objects with water; most adepts know one or two such tricks.
-Attack: Basic attack psynergy come in three flavors- focused, balanced, and wide.  Balanced attacks can affect about a 10-foot wide (3 meters) area, give or take.  Focused attacks can only hit one or two targets, but are more dangerous.  Wide attacks hit a larger area - twice as large as balanced or even larger - but are less potent.
-Advanced attack: Advanced attacks can come in the regular three styles, but are more dangerous.  In game terms, they would have some kind of status effect inflicted or reduce a stat.  Alternatively, you can take super-focused or super-wide if you know a spell of the lesser flavor.  Super-focused attacks are terrifying, but hit a very small area; no way to hit more than one target, and you might even miss.  On the other end of the scale, Super-wide attacks can affect an amazing area, but may not be terribly effective against solitary enemies.
-Healing: Healing psynergy does just what it sounds like.  Basic healing can only heal a single creature.  Advanced healing can either be more potent, or restore everyone in an area.
-Buff: Make your friends better.  Advanced buffs make your friends even better!
-Debuff: Make your enemies worse, or inflict some kind of affliction.  Advanced debuffs make your enemies even worse!

I may add more to the character sheet later. I'll tell ya'll if I do.
Last edited by ChroniclerC on Tue May 10, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Re: Interest check - Golden Sun RP

Postby Drayco on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Yes yes yes many many times yes. Also I can supply a cattleprod. *bzzt*
Current Avatar: Drayco, new and improved. Thanks Sanchay!
And it's a link too! Adawwable.
And random links:
This, my friends, is why I use a Mac.
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piane on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Geez, just try not to kill the GM before this actually starts...
Current avatar: Shizuo from Durarara, ready to kick Izaya's head in.
Current theme song: "21st Century Schizoid Man" By King Crimson

Hello, and welcome to the mental heath hotline...
Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby The kool on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Well, let's hear it before I make a call.
Mayhem: We're not crazy, you're just too sane.

Current avatar: That would be Tyrion. Or his head, at any rate.
You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.
Since counters seem popular, The warnings on my IDBs have been ignored 3 times.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it. - Edgar Allen Poe
I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Logic is fun. It makes great squealing noises when you torture it. - BRE
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm spamming Wish!
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Since I'm likely to be here on Mayhem more often, I might as well express interest. Sadly, I may not have the time. We'll see how real-life works out.
Current Avatar: Lapis O. Rimewing, lined by Sanchay, colored by me.
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Contrary to popular belief, THE INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS." --- Kalga
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby nokvok on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Do I have to google Golden Sun or can someone give a shot at what kind of concept I would have to expect from such an RP?
Need to look up something about my chars? Here's the list: Characters List (Updated 4/5/11)
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Sun May 01, 2011 12:56 am

Okay, first setting/premise intro is up in the first post. I'll probably expand on it a bit more later, but that'll do for now. For those keeping score at home, it'll take place 20 years after the first two games (you know, the Golden Sun event), and 10 years before the start of Dark Dawn. While I don't plan on mucking with cannon too much, I may play a few established events fast and loose. For example, while there are some Psynergy Vortexes about, the Mourning Moon hasn't happened yet (and the game implies that it happened about 10-15 years after the Golden Sun).

For people who aren't versed in the established world setting, I will do my best to always introduce important terminology with proper explanations. ^_^
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Drayco on Sun May 01, 2011 9:27 am

I havent played dark dawn yet. Hopefully it's not going to be too spoilerriffic. <<
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piane on Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm

*Sigh* Ok, it looks like we'll need that cattleprod. I even have some music for it. Might be in poor taste though.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChroniclerC on Thu May 05, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm looking for input here, guys. If no one posts, then I assume one one's interested.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Drayco on Thu May 05, 2011 11:48 pm

I'm interested! I just don't know what to add since I havent done anything with this series in like, 5 years. XD
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby nokvok on Fri May 06, 2011 2:12 am

I am quite interested. But since I don't know the setting aside from what I grasp here in the thread, I don't have much input to give...
Need to look up something about my chars? Here's the list: Characters List (Updated 4/5/11)
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby The kool on Fri May 06, 2011 6:03 am

I am intrigued, but I can't be interested if I don't know the setting!
Mayhem: We're not crazy, you're just too sane.

Current avatar: That would be Tyrion. Or his head, at any rate.
You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.
Since counters seem popular, The warnings on my IDBs have been ignored 3 times.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it. - Edgar Allen Poe
I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Logic is fun. It makes great squealing noises when you torture it. - BRE
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChroniclerC on Fri May 06, 2011 1:31 pm

The kool wrote:I am intrigued, but I can't be interested if I don't know the setting!

ChroniclerC wrote:Okay, first setting/premise intro is up in the first post.

*cough*
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Drayco on Fri May 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Pssst. You haven't explained what an Adept is. Or alchemy. Or psynergy. Or the Golden Sun event. :P

That said, I already have a character in mind, but I can wait on stuffs til we have a bioformat or something.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Fri May 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Per the suggestion of a smarter lad than me, infodump 2: Alchemy 101 is up.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Fri May 06, 2011 4:57 pm

My interest has been greatly piqued now, and I'm considering joining into this for the fact it sounds like a lot of fun. If anything, I have a decent Adept idea thought out, though I've no clue about canonical starting places and/or areas in the world of Golden Sun. I'd use a Wiki, but I'm one of those stubborn gamers who prefers to learn from the game itself rather than a wiki. ^^; Any help on ideas is welcomed though, so I'm more than willing to work with someone to figure out what to do...^^;
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Fri May 06, 2011 8:25 pm

If you don't know the game, the simplest way to go about it would be to say you're a local of Vale, since they're a major Adept town, even before the Golden Sun. Although if you wanna IM me with ideas and get my help with locations, I'm cool with that.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Fri May 06, 2011 9:00 pm

I will most likely do that, CC. x3 It's the easiest way to figure out how my concept of a character will fit in. ^^;
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby SleepyOrigami on Fri May 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Atashi-Cloud wrote:My interest has been greatly piqued now, and I'm considering joining into this for the fact it sounds like a lot of fun. If anything, I have a decent Adept idea thought out, though I've no clue about canonical starting places and/or areas in the world of Golden Sun. I'd use a Wiki, but I'm one of those stubborn gamers who prefers to learn from the game itself rather than a wiki. ^^; Any help on ideas is welcomed though, so I'm more than willing to work with someone to figure out what to do...^^;

A great way to learn about golden sun from a fellow mayhemite would be to watch the Let's Play Golden Sun youtube videos theauthorman has made.

Here is a link to part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN1HUk8jU2E

He has like 37 videos where he plays through the game. Each one is about 8-10mins long on average.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nokvok on Fri May 06, 2011 11:17 pm

370 minutes would be the epitome of nerdiness for background research on a forum RP o.o as much as I love forum rps...
Image Image Image
nokvok
Keenspot Deity

Postby Piane on Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 pm

You'd be surprised how much time I pour into research on weapons alone, when I just any RP...

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby PSychotic on Sat May 07, 2011 1:45 pm

i am interested. extremely. probably would go with a mars adept. i've got no knowledge of the universe (besides what you posted).
Shi' Arri, Decroi, Canton, Sicoh, Tig, Jack, and Mack.

The Dread Pirate Scarrrgh, Kobold Pirate ..... dead just like half his crew
Lisps, Goblin Defender ..... Feats: Improved Tackle 2, Tackle Stamina 2, Improved Dodging 1
That Nameless Guy, Undead Warrior ..... STR 5 DEX 3 CON 3 ..... HP ?/? ..... 4 Throwing Knives, Axe (+3), Heavy Leather Armor (5/5)
Shiny, Not So Dead Goblin ..... ATK 1 DEF 1 ..... HP 5/5
Jack-Of-All-Trades, Lucky Goblin ..... ATK 0 DEF 1 ..... HP 5/5 MP 5/5 ..... Spells: Buff/Debuff, Thief!, Acrobatic F@#king Pirouette!
Bringer-Of-New-Times, Goblin Teller ..... ATK 1 DEF 1 ..... HP 5/5 ..... Spells: Heal

Hosting a Cave of Doom
PSychotic
Keenspot Despot

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Sat May 07, 2011 1:50 pm

SleepyOrigami wrote:
Atashi-Cloud wrote:My interest has been greatly piqued now, and I'm considering joining into this for the fact it sounds like a lot of fun. If anything, I have a decent Adept idea thought out, though I've no clue about canonical starting places and/or areas in the world of Golden Sun. I'd use a Wiki, but I'm one of those stubborn gamers who prefers to learn from the game itself rather than a wiki. ^^; Any help on ideas is welcomed though, so I'm more than willing to work with someone to figure out what to do...^^;

A great way to learn about golden sun from a fellow mayhemite would be to watch the Let's Play Golden Sun youtube videos theauthorman has made.

Here is a link to part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN1HUk8jU2E

He has like 37 videos where he plays through the game. Each one is about 8-10mins long on average.

Yesh, I have watched his entire LP of that up until #37. So yes, I know at least something of the setting. ^_^;
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Next

Return to Mayhem