"Sigil Prep" Disc/Infothread - One More Spot Open!

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

Re: "Sigil Prep" Disc/Infothread - One More Spot Open!

Postby Drayco on Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 pm

Aside from the bag of holding, everything looks good Oz. Everyone else looks fine. Extra extra props to Jolithia for practically already putting together the standard adventuring kit. Valedictorian, seriously.

Sleepy, the main issue is for stuff involving adventuring, so a living alarm clock and similar kinds of things are probably okay.

Essentially, first time adventurers generally start with armor, one or two weapons, and basically what Jolithia brought for her adventuring gear - give or take parts based on whether you're a caster, meleetype, roguetype, etc. Anything beyond that they tend to take away for Firstyear to keep everyone at least gearwise on a level playing field.
For example, bags of holding, potions, scrolls, wands, and magic suits of platemail.

Weapons: You're in an adventuring school, you SHOULD be taking your basic adventuring gear to most classes, at the very least weapons and armor. They're not going to tell you one way or the other though, that's for you to find out. And some teachers might yell at you. Some might compliment you. Welcome to Sigil Prep, use your judgement, its the only answer you're getting.
Current Avatar: Drayco, new and improved. Thanks Sanchay!
And it's a link too! Adawwable.
And random links:
This, my friends, is why I use a Mac.
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby OzLionHeart on Thu May 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Okay, the Bag of Holding is gone. Mia now has a medium-sized leather-covered trunk for her luggage.

Mia doesn't really have either weapons (apart from her natural ones) or armour, so she might be at a disadvantage in Adventuring class. She does have some training in self-defence from her "godmother", but she really wasn't expecting to do much in the way of adventuring herself. Of course, as an Artificer, she can probably improvise stuff...

Also note that she does have some magical ability, which she can use to enchant items.

And that note that came with her key. What does it say?
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Drayco on Thu May 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Adventuring doesnt necessarily imply combat. ;D

And the note's in the thread, along with another. So much note based communication, its almost like a message board.

...wait.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Fri May 13, 2011 12:33 am

Student list on the Wiki page has been spiffified. Couldn't find any info on Bill, though. Nevermind, found it. He needs a last name and a minor, though.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby The kool on Fri May 13, 2011 10:28 am

Alright, going back and editing my post to include weekend info, since that seems popular, and editing for the fact that Elves don't really sleep like other races. So basically, I'm entirely rewriting it.
Mayhem: We're not crazy, you're just too sane.

Current avatar: That would be Tyrion. Or his head, at any rate.
You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.
Since counters seem popular, The warnings on my IDBs have been ignored 3 times.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it. - Edgar Allen Poe
I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Logic is fun. It makes great squealing noises when you torture it. - BRE
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SleepyOrigami on Sun May 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Okay lets see, an inventory. Take a look at this list and see if the items and such are okay:

Personal Items to remain in Room:
1. Luggage consisting of
****2 cloth duffle bags – water resistant,
****1 Wooden chest
2. Clothes (as described in thread)
3. Two pair of sandals
4. A pair of towels
5. Toiletries such as brushes and scented soaps
6. 2 coin beetles
7. Small allowance of gold and silver coins

Adventuring Items:
1. Waterproof basic first aid kit consisting of the following:
****Cloth bandages and dressings
****Small scissors and tweezers
****8 ounce pouch of alcohol with valve and nozzle for wound disinfection
****Small bar of soap
****Needle and thread
****pocket knife
2. Green bedroll – water resistant
3. Green Backpack – water resistant
4. 1 flint and steel
5. 100 ft of rope
6. One liter cast-iron tea kettle (serves four). Can be sealed to contain water.
7. Thin brown leather gloves – fingerless
8. Various spell ingredients.
9. Textbooks
10. Quills and ink
11. Crystal ball

Optional ideas:
1. Optional - Dormant beetle eggs (20 count) in a pouch labeled “Emergency Rations”. Activated by adding hot water (just below boiling), scarab looking beetles grow over night. Can be used to recycle “food wastes” into an edible form thus extending food supplies by half again as much as they would have originally lasted.
2. Optional - Cloth bag of water purification seeds, 200 count – absorbs common toxins and excess salts in water. Single use. Become poison seeds once used. Amount needed varies on quality and quantity of water desired. Generally four pea sized seeds will purify 8 ounces of swamp water. Four times as many are needed for sea water. Leaves bitter aftertaste.

Let me know if this is too much stuff or if I'm forgetting something important or whatever. I don't know these things. *shrugs*

EDIT 1: oh and thanks to everyone who posted an onventory before I did and reminded me of basic stuff I would have otherwise forgot. Although maybe I should subtract stuff just to make the inventorry seem more amateurish since Kerri isn't supposed to be valedictorian material. Or maybe someone packed it for her? I don't know how to make an inventory "in character". I was too focused on not wanting the character to die from foolishness to really think about how much would she really know about survival in an adventuring environment before going to school and now I'm stuck in a don't think about pink elephants mind loop. Help please! I think I may have overdone it a bit with this inventory, but if I start taking stuff away and trying to simplify it I might get the reverse mentality and end up with an overly suicidal 'survival kit'. Ack! Stress! What IS minimally sufficient when it comes to adventure gear? Like a kit that would get a C grade (as compared to A+ student Jolitha). Can someone help make this a C kit???

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :gonk:

EDIT2: *takes a few deep breaths*
Okay, I'm feeling a little better now after that.

yea

Anyways, maybe like I could revise her inventory to be pitiful, and then she goes to class it it gets pointed out how bad it is and then she could freak out and spaz about it? And maybe someone could help her out and that'd be a good way to start a friendship or something??? Right?

*Sigh* I don't know. I just don't know. I'm way out of my realm of competency here.

.___.

EDIT 3: Well she does come from a tropical paradise type environment always warm with plenty of food and water everywhere, but then again her world did have a giant war not that long ago and swampy areas aren't very forgiving when it comes to disease. Hmm, maybe if she forgot to carry food/water stuffs and did carry a basic med kit? No, I can make arguments for both cases and their reverse ways and still have all of them seem equally right. BAH. Still too hard to think, and now I worry that I can't progress my character towards her classes until I get this settled out. ARG! *head-desk*

ow.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Drayco on Sun May 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Chill, kupo. *-|3

First two sets of stuff are fine, as long as that's just a plain normal nonmagic crystal ball, as are the "emergency rations" and the water purification seeds, since all in all that's a fairly minor effect if duplicated by magic... sorta. For the moment, they're holding onto the seeds, and there's a note in her luggage asking her to report to the Sylvan Hall to claim them from the Dean of Nature, Vadania.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby SleepyOrigami on Mon May 16, 2011 4:09 am

Okay. I can have her answer whatever questions this Dean Vadania has about the jaloom seeds, better known as the Lucretia Quimby Daisy. :wink:

If you catch my meaning :wink:
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Drayco on Mon May 16, 2011 9:00 am

....what?
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby SleepyOrigami on Mon May 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Seriously? Man, I guess I Dream of Jeannie just isn't as popular as it used to be. Alrighty, it goes a little something like this:

*Spoilers*
SPOILERS:00:20:41 - Jeanie: Here are your jaloom seeds.
00:20:43 - Major Nelson: Oh, may I see those?
00:20:44 - Major Nelson: I want to find out the modern name for them-- if it works, that is.
00:20:47 - Jeanie: Hmm, it had better work.
00:20:48 - Uncle Bilejik: Oh, poor bilejik is--is caught in a real den of thieves, but it will work.
00:20:58 - Uncle Bilejik: whoosh Now, now we pour the seawater in there.
00:21:01 - Jeanie: Do not trouble yourself, master.
00:21:03 boing [warbling chime] - Uncle Bilejik: Oh, my, she was always a show-off.
00:21:16 - Major Nelson: What happens now?
00:21:16 - Uncle Bilejik: Oh, what usually happens is, i-i get paid, ..
00:21:19 - Uncle Bilejik: Oh, all right, you'll--you'll have freshwater in--in less than a minute.
00:21:24 - Major Nelson: How does it work?
00:21:25 - Uncle Bilejik: Well, you see, the seeds have an incredible affinity for the salt, and they soak it up just like sponges.
00:21:31 - Major Nelson: You mean that's all there is to it?
00:21:33 - Uncle Bilejik: Oh, no, no, usually I make it much more complicated.
00:21:36 - Uncle Bilejik: As a matter of fact, I did the same experiment a long time ago; took me seven months.
00:21:40 - Uncle Bilejik: Oh, oh, but the sultan paid me a fortune.
00:21:44 - Uncle Bilejik: Here, taste it.
00:21:47 boing [warbling chime] - [giggling] - Uncle Bilejik: She always was a show-off.
00:22:02 - Major Nelson: It's freshwater.
00:22:04 - Major Nelson: And it's wonderful.
00:22:05 - Uncle Bilejik: Yes, be my guest.
00:22:06 - Major Nelson: Bilejik, I don't know how to thank you.
00:22:09 - Uncle Bilejik:Thou art telling me.
00:22:11 - Jeanie: He has already been thanked, master.
00:22:13 - Major Nelson: look how big they are.
00:22:16 - Uncle Bilejik: Yes, well, of course. they are full salt.
00:22:18 - Major Nelson: Where can I get more of 'em?
00:22:20 - Oh, it's a weed.
00:22:21 It grows in fields everywhere, every place.
00:22:23 - Major Nelson: You've done it, jeannie.
00:22:24 - Major Nelson: Bilejik, I'm gonna see that your name goes down in history.
00:22:27 - Uncle Bilejik: there's no money in it.
00:22:34 - Uncle Bilejik: Can I go home now?
00:22:35 have a safe journey home.
00:22:38 - Jeanie: And give my love to tanya.
00:22:41 ping! UH, UH, UH, UH.
00:22:43 ping!
00:22:44 - Jeanie: Look what he had stolen.
00:22:46 - Major Nelson: You should've let him keep 'em.
00:22:48 - Major Nelson: Jeannie, do you have any idea what these seeds mean?
00:22:52 - Major Nelson: We're gonna go look up a botanist and find out the modern name for these.
00:22:56 - Botanist: Oh, it's incredible.
00:22:58 - Botanist: Why, this is the most exciting find I've ever run across.
00:23:04 - Major Nelson: You don't know the half of it.
00:23:05 - Botanist: Oh, there's no doubt about it.
00:23:08 - Botanist: No, no, this is it.
00:23:10 - Major Nelson: You know the name of it?
00:23:11 - Jeanie: it is called the jaloom seed.
00:23:13 - Botanist: These seeds are the seeds of the lucretia quimby daisy.
00:23:17 - Major Nelson: We're gonna need a lot of 'em.
00:23:19 - Jeanie: Well, they grow like weeds.
00:23:21 - Botanist: It was named for his mother by a man named quimby in the year 1872.
00:23:25 - Major Nelson: That was nice of him. wasn't it?
00:23:26 - Botanist: Oh, it goes way back, several thousand years back.
00:23:30 - Major Nelson: they grow wild in the middle east.
00:23:33 - Botanist: Grew. - Major Nelson: grew?
00:23:35 - Botanist: Yes, you see, quimby was an archeologist as well as a botanist.
00:23:39 - Botanist: That's why we have a record of this seed.
00:23:41 - Botanist: And he translated an ancient work on botany, ..
00:23:48 - Botanist:The blight.
00:23:49 - The blight?
00:23:50 - Botanist: The blight that wiped out the lucretia quimby daisy in the year one.
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby psycho_BUNNY on Mon May 16, 2011 8:17 pm

How important is it that we actually list inventories, then? And is it just assumed that they can have whatever mundane gear they could realistically obtain?

(Mundane meaning non-magical, and 'realistically' meaning... something a beginning character could actually get their hands on.)
psycho_BUNNY
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Brooding pensively in a corner, on the verge of either an epiphany or a breakdown.

Postby Drayco on Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 pm

psycho_BUNNY wrote:How important is it that we actually list inventories, then? And is it just assumed that they can have whatever mundane gear they could realistically obtain?

(Mundane meaning non-magical, and 'realistically' meaning... something a beginning character could actually get their hands on.)

If you know D&D, yes, you're essentially limited to the equivalent of a typical starting package. However, I do want to know what your character brought, specifically because some characters may value certain things and not others. Drayco, for example, carries very little in the way of typical adventuring gear - he can fly, has a natural talent for improvising with whatever's on hand, and only even owns one weapon (his unarmed combat aside).
Alternatively, some characters, like Keri, may have unusual local things that may seem mundane but have debatably powerful effects, which might warrant additional action by the faculty. In a similar vein, things that your character has that CAN be used as an adventuring tool might also be taken, even thought they're not meant for that - for example, the minor magic items in Selene's epic medkit.
More likely of the lot, certain characters probably just don't know what exactly an adventurer would need - you're all newbies, remember, they have classes to teach you such things as proper basic gear.

So yes, I would like to have a list of at least what your character brought with them.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby Drayco on Mon May 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Oh, as to what Shael just brought up in the thread:
You were all given locations for your Major-specific classes (your Tuesday and Thursday ones, and Friday for the two Artificers) during the workshops over the weekend, while your Wednesday and Friday classes are in the Coliseum - what better place for a lecture hall or a sparring area than both at once.

Nobody has any idea where Adventuring 101 is supposed to be held, nor were any of you actually told anything relating to it in advance.

Welcome to Sigil Prep... Mission 1: "Get to Class."
Remember that stuff I said about earning points towards leveling? This is one of those chances for that. You get points based on how you find your way to class, or if you get there at all. Use your wits, muscles, instincts, or whatever else you're good at! Just get to class, and try to be on time, you delinquents!

It's currently about 9:45.
Class is at Noon.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby The kool on Tue May 17, 2011 10:14 am

Would Avery's regular flights have given him any insight into this quest?
Mayhem: We're not crazy, you're just too sane.

Current avatar: That would be Tyrion. Or his head, at any rate.
You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.
Since counters seem popular, The warnings on my IDBs have been ignored 3 times.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it. - Edgar Allen Poe
I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Logic is fun. It makes great squealing noises when you torture it. - BRE
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Drayco on Tue May 17, 2011 12:41 pm

You all know where the buildings are, but you weren't told which building the class is in, or what room.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue May 17, 2011 6:58 pm

The kool wrote:Would Avery's regular flights have given him any insight into this quest?

You aren't thinking right my friend. Consider this:
Drayco wrote:You all know where the buildings are, but you weren't told which building the class is in, or what room.

Ah, but WE (the players) DON'T know the buildings. Drayco never made a map or even bothered to make a list of named buildings. But that's okay see?

A systematic search of buildings and rooms would be a wild goose chase anyways. Take it from someone genre savvy like me, the true path lies in the wisdom of the Cutie Mark Crusaders Theme song:

Lyrics:
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Cutie_Mark_Crusaders_Song

8-bit soundtrack:
http://youtu.be/-PNDwH2xQ-w

That said, my character will follow a different path, but only because she is not so genre savvy as me.
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Drayco on Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Drayco just gave you a tour of the residence hall. Over the weekend, among the number of workshops, your characters should have picked up where stuff is. Again, for the third or fourth time now, my computer is broken, so I cant currently make aforementioned maps. Sorry. >:|

You lack a building and room number. As players, assume that if your characters weren't actively skipping mandated workshops, you know generally where everything is on campus. There's a number of residence halls all over, a main administrative building, a VERY large building right next to it for general classes (when I say Very, I mean it's bordering on a small castle), and most majors each have their own buildings. Plus the coliseum.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue May 17, 2011 11:13 pm

Relax relax, I wasn't complaining about the map, but fishing for a list of location names and descriptions so I would know what all my options are. What you said in your post just there was very helpful in that regard so thanks. Now I know that there is a castle and that it is intended for general classes and is very big I can tell that this is the obvious first place to look and that a major pitfall in searching it will be that it's size could make searching alone, without skill, or completely uniformed a very time consuming task, one not even guaranteed to pay off. As for the rest of my post, well there's nothing wrong with encouraging sideways thinking. Plus I reeealy had that song stuck in my head and felt it was marginally relevant so I had to share. My apologies if I came across as being rude in any regard. I just have a really hard time saying things directly or asking questions clearly.
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby psycho_BUNNY on Mon May 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Weldir's equipment:

- A few sets of clothing (explorer's outfits)
- One set of fine clothing (Fine, but not that of a courtier, etc.)
- Leather armor
- Leather gloves? (Wasn't sure if they'd be reasonably included in the armor or not)
- A bar of soap
- A small, simple steel mirror
- A falchion
- Pen and ink (The ink is a rich blue in color, matching his eyes, while the pen is a darker, midnight blue.)
- Paper/parchment
- A journal Weldir is keeping on tactical maneuvers and strategy
- Assorted books on history and tactics
- A lantern and 3 pints of oil (don't know if the type of lantern matters?)
- Hempen rope, 100 ft
- Belt pouches
- A waterskin
- A flint and steel set
- A bedroll
- A backpack
- A tent
- A climber's kit
- A waterproof scroll case

Hopefully that would be acceptable. ^^;

Also, how do they keep time? I was just wondering how they'd know it was 9:45 to begin with.
psycho_BUNNY
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Brooding pensively in a corner, on the verge of either an epiphany or a breakdown.

Postby Drayco on Mon May 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Simple clockwork, magic, sundials, decree of the god(s/dess/desses) of time, or imprisoned time pixies, depending on my mood and wherever it is. No two clocks on campus are exactly the same or are at the same time. Despite this, you're still expected to get to class on time.
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby Drayco on Mon May 23, 2011 9:36 pm

It looks like gear!
And random links:
Drayco
Keenspot Deity

Postby ChroniclerC on Mon May 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Well, he hasn't had to ferret any of it away, so... :wink:
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby SleepyOrigami on Wed May 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Arg, Keenspot ate all the recent posts.
Kisai wrote:Unfortunately, it was still faster to copy the data over to the main server than get the forum server back up, and would take either another 5 hours to update.

So you're seeing a reversion of the database at the point it was around 6am on the 23rd of May 2011.

Are we going to have to repeat everything all over again or do we just recap the lost posts and pick up from there?
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to Mayhem