Time to Duel!

Games, RP, general Mayhem (within reason, of course)

Moderators: TingYi, anti-paragon, DarkShive

Re: Time to Duel!

Postby OzLionHeart on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Tyveras wrote:And while no one pays attention to Ty, he reaches behind himself (cookie in mouth) and quickly seals the hole he came through. With that done he looks at the cheetah-gal he's sittin' next too "So, what are we watching?"

"Near as I can tell, those two," she replied, indicating the unconscious combatants, "are duelling in some kind of shared dream."
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Tyveras on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:28 am

Ty finishes his cookie, and grabs another one. Then crosses over to the ticket booth to grab a ticket labeled '4' and promptly sits back down on the picnic table close to the cheetah "Huh. Shared dreaming..." He glances at the 10 foot catgirl and the lilliputian, or possibly the head of a lilliputian stuck in a ball of mud. "I don't know. It looks more like they are trying to bluff each other... Anyway, its a dream. Not like you can't force yourself to wake up if you know its a dream..." he shrugs, his words actually echoing from the tv screen. Making him jump back a little "Whoa, creepy echo..."
There is only one constant in this universe: Irony
Tyveras
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChroniclerC on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 pm

"Duel"
The multiplicity going on has Kerthair convinced that something isn't real, but it takes him a little while to realize that it's a dream.

Duel
Eventually, he wakes up, extremely weary after the affair. "Ugh. Nope, I'm done. I quit," he states, not realizing that he's technically won. It's certainly not a victory to him. "I need a bath and a nice stiff drink." He squirms a bit, but is a little stuck in the dried mud. "Um... Can someone give me a hand?"

Off to the side, Talas has worked his way out of his cloth prison. "Freedom!" he cries, standing triumphant momentarily. Then he falls right over. Cut him some slack, it was a hell of a trip back.
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby OzLionHeart on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:39 pm

The cheetah-girl stepped forward, knelt down by Kerthair, and carefully dug away enough of the dried mud for him to get loose by himself.

"For what it's worth," she said helpfully, "I think you won."
Image Image Image Image

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Amon Star on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Picnic Tables
Tyveras wrote:Ty finishes his cookie, and grabs another one. Then crosses over to the ticket booth to grab a ticket labeled '4' and promptly sits back down on the picnic table close to the cheetah "Huh. Shared dreaming..." He glances at the 10 foot catgirl and the lilliputian, or possibly the head of a lilliputian stuck in a ball of mud. "I don't know. It looks more like they are trying to bluff each other... Anyway, its a dream. Not like you can't force yourself to wake up if you know its a dream..." he shrugs, his words actually echoing from the tv screen. Making him jump back a little "Whoa, creepy echo..."

*The thread of Yarn from the Ball in low orbit finally reaches the ticket machine and takes the next ticket. As it begins to withdraw, a massive straw emerges from the ball and descends towards the tables*
My RP Characters

My Battle Cry: "I'm going to bruise you until you taste like chicken, and dip you in uranium!!"
Weapon of Choice: Gilded Boxing Gloves.
anti-paragon wrote:Besides, does Keenspot really want vagabond bunnies raving through the forums, huddling near flamewars to keep warm and eating the offal of slain strips?
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SleepyOrigami on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Dueling Grounds!
Balloons and confetti shower down from seemingly nowhere in the sky around Talas and Kerthair. Sleepy walks up to Kerthair and says "Congratulations on you and your brother's victory! That was a fine duel and--" Sleepy notices that Kerthair looks shook up. Taking out a chocolate bar he offers it to Kerthair, "Here, try this it helps." Along with the chocolate bar, Sleepy has a slip of paper in his hand that reads:

Slip of Paper wrote:Prize Voucher for winning duelists.

(Redeemable at the gift shop under picnic table #2)

If anyone looks, there appears to be a partially concealed trap door underneath picnic table #2. It has set of stairs that lead to a little gift shop.

Picnic Tables!
The screen that had displayed the fight earlier now displays the following text:

Duel Screen wrote:NOW SERVING #1:

Available opponents:
1. Sleepy
2. Origami & Rio
3. New Challengers

The screen shows a picture of Sleepy, Origami, and Rio above their names on the screen. Above the option for "New Challengers" is a pair of shadowy silhouettes. The silhouettes appear to be of a winged woman and a hunched man with large claws. Very mysterious.

((Pick who you want to fight #1, and he, she, or they will introduce themselves. Once you introduce yourself the duel will officially begin.))
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piane on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Picnic tables

The man holding the number one ticket was a very bored looking Roland. Feeling adventurous, picked the 'New Challengers' option, before stepping into the ring.
Current avatar: Shizuo from Durarara, ready to kick Izaya's head in.
Current theme song: "21st Century Schizoid Man" By King Crimson

Hello, and welcome to the mental heath hotline...
Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby Amon Star on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 am

Picnic Tables
*The descending giant straw reaches the tables and sticks itself in a humongous bowl of milk, where it begins to slurp noisily at the replenishing contents*
My RP Characters

My Battle Cry: "I'm going to bruise you until you taste like chicken, and dip you in uranium!!"
Weapon of Choice: Gilded Boxing Gloves.
anti-paragon wrote:Besides, does Keenspot really want vagabond bunnies raving through the forums, huddling near flamewars to keep warm and eating the offal of slain strips?
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SleepyOrigami on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm

((OOC: I'm going to postpone this thread to the weekend. I need a bit of time to work out the introduction post for the new characters among other things.))
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SleepyOrigami on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:47 pm

((OOC: Bah, had too much trouble making a team rocket variation motto. I'm not quite satisfied with what I came up with. I got lazy near the end, but time for working on it is up as the weekend is over. So enjoy.))

Dueling area
After Roland makes his selection, and steps into the ring, a heart shaped signal shoots out of the screen into the sky

The signal is accompanied by a short burst of music with the lyrics:
"Love, love, love, la la love
La la love makes the world go 'round"

And as the music cuts off and the signal vanishes, a heart shaped hot air balloon appears over the horizon. Somehow defying the laws of physics, it approaches at great speeds with the aid of rocket propulsion. Yes, it is a rocket propelled hot air balloon. *Sigh*-duck?

Anyways, as the balloon slows to make its final descent, the silhouette of a winged woman appears in the balloon and her piercing voice cries out
"Prepare for trouble, we're here to start dueling,"
The hunched and clawed man's silhouette appears now and his goofy voice says,
"And make it double, you'll receive quite the schooling"

They take turns saying each line as the Team rocket theme music plays on a radio under the balloon:
"To infect the world with infatuation,"
"To dig lots of holes in this location,"
"To trounce the enemies of truth and love,"
"We fight together like a hand and a glove,"

They jump down out of the balloon into the ring moments before it lands, and a spotlight from the top of the heart balloon shines on each of them as they say their names
"Cupid!"
"Moleman"

Cupid is a middle-aged woman in a toga like dress with angelic wings and a quiver of colorful arrows on her back. Moleman is just as old as cupid only he is wearing denim coveralls and is an anthropomorphic mole. Both of them have a large letter "C" embroidered on the front of their clothes.

"Team Chaotic appears before your sight,"
"Gives us your name and then we will fight."

Picnic Tables
Sleepy facepalms, "You don't have to fight those two if they're too annoying. Until you introduce yourself, feel free to pick again."

Cupid: "What? and put our grand entrance to waste?"
Moleman: "Unthinkable! Surely you joke, thats in bad taste!"
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piane on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:35 am

Duelling area

"The silhouettes made them look mildly interesting," the longcoat man sighed. "but right now, I'm not impressed." He stepped closer to the two, adjusting his gloves as he walked. Stopping a short distance away, he tilted his head forward, rubbing his chin, giving the two 'fighters' a chance to look into his eyes, they seemed oddly, well, mechanical. "If I introduce myself, I get to beat your heads in right?" Straightening his posture, the longcoat man adjusted his scarf to better cover his face. "Sounds good to me, as the for the introduction, you can call me 'Roland'."

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby SleepyOrigami on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:34 pm

The woman flys backwards into the skies in the blink of an eye, and the moleman sinks forwards into the earth faster than gravity could have pulled him. The fight has begun.
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piane on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Roland grinned under his scarf. "Well, they aren't wasting any time." He took a deep breath.
Combat mode start-up sequence initiated.
"On second thought, I should've done this before I introduced myself..."
Targeting protocol active.
Adrenal systems active...

Roland drew a heavy handgun out of his coat, lining up a shot at the flying 'Cupid'.
Reflexive systems online.
Smartlink online. All systems good to go.

Roland braced his stance, and pulled the trigger of his handgun, which gave a rather impressive muzzle flash, visibly pushing him back.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Sky!
((Warning: slightly graphic injury depicted textually in this section))
While cupid is physically fast enough to dodge the bullet, her brain isn't fast enough to process where it is going. So she has to rely on instinct and reflexes to dodge. Unfortunately, this time her instincts guess wrong and the pierces her throat sidelong. The entrance wound is clean, but the exit takes a good chunk of flesh with it. For a split second her purple blood is visible before it reacts violently with the atmosphere and flashes into a cloud of purple gas enshrouding her body.

Cupid rapidly falls to the ground and hits it with a bone crushingly loud THUD that shakes the ground. Her body flails around for about thirty seconds, but it is just the adrenaline working its way out of her system. She is quite dead. On the other hand her wounds seem to have frozen themselves closed when her blood flashed into a gas through a process known as auto-refrigeration. This means no new gas is formed, but that which had formed earlier in the air slowly disperses into a light fog and, being heavier than air, descends towards Roland.

Earth!
The ground beneath and around Roland in several locations begins to subside ever so slightly. In some places so slightly that it would be near impossible for the average observer to detect anything was amiss even if they knew to look for it. With cupid's bloodmist reducing visibility, the potential to notice these "pitfalls" is even further reduced; however, since it wasn't a particularly vast amount of blood loss the cloud should dissipate to safe levels mere moments after it lands.

Picnic Tables
The Duel Screen shows Cupid get shot and then turns it's focus to Roland. Unobtrusively, a small icon of a heart appears in the bottom right corner of the screen with a number 10 next to it. Mysterious.

OOC Notes:
A unique property of Cupid's blood is that it is basically elemental lust. If Roland has even the tiniest amount of desire for anything then contact with the gas will intensify that desire to a powerful and compelling lust. Depending on how strong the original desire is and on how much exposure he has to the gas, the need to fulfill said desire IMMEDIATELY will increase proportionately. The effects only last a few seconds after exposure has ended.
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piane on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 pm

After firing the shot, Roland wasted no time in getting on the move. That was almost too easy! The next guy might cause problems, but he can't be tough... Ugh, what is that gas? Might be toxic... With that, made his best attempt to leave the area to be covered in the fog.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:13 pm

EDITED POST:
There is a pitfall directly in the path of Roland's escape, if he steps into the middle of it, the ground cover will collapse revealing a hole underneath his feet that is roughly twice as deep as Roland is tall.

((OOC Note continued: The gas effect is active even on skin contact, but since the amount of exposure is less than if you breathe it in it is less potent that way.))
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piane on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Making a frantic dash to get out of the fog's 'fallout' area, Roland kept his eyes looking towards the sky. Big mistake however, as one of his feet got caught in one of the pot holes.

((Well, not sure what's going to happen with the holes, so I'll leave it there.))

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Hole!
There's a funny thing about gases that are heavier than air. They tend to collect in low places, such as trenches and holes. So while on the surface the gas dissipates to a harmless concentration, it begins to pour into the hole concentrating itself and displacing breathable air. In other words, not only is it a distraction, but it is an asphyxiant as well.

Dueling Grounds!
Once the surface concentration of gas is at safe levels, Moleman pops his head out of the ground near Cupid's corpse. Lifting a purple puzzle cube out of the ground he says, "Wake up sweet angel." He twists the cube in a specific sequence and it begins to glow with an aura of purple flame. Cupid's body resonates with the cube and forms a matching aura. Those watching the duel screen will notice the number 10 by the heart icon change to a number 9 as her lifeless body rises, regenerates and becomes fully resurrected.

Once her second life kicks-in, Cupid coughs quite violently as she clears her throat and manages to choke out a "Thanks darling" before taking off into the air. Moleman digs his way back underground and out of sight. Roland having just fallen into the hole would have missed seeing cupid come back to life and take flight. She circles around the hole with her bow drawn waiting to shoot him with an arrow the moment he sticks his head out of the hole.
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piane on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Tracheal filter active.
Well, thats a nasty trick... This stuff's like chlorine! Pulling himself out of the hole quickly and with only one hand, Roland hit the ground running. His face was bright red, maybe because of the gas's effects, mostly because he was furious. The moment he saw Moleman, he stopped to line up and fire a second shot.

((I might want to get this out of the way, Roland wears a exoskeleton with armoured plates as reenforcement under the coat, not sure if Cupid's arrow has enough oomph to pierce through it))
Last edited by Piane on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby OzLionHeart on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:54 pm

The cheetah-girl eyed the display, and noted the indicator change from '10' to '9' as Cupid revived. She quickly made the connection, even though she had never seen anything like this before. "Ten lives? Should I be jealous?"
Image Image Image Image

OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby SleepyOrigami on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Picnic Tables
OzLionHeart wrote:The cheetah-girl eyed the display, and noted the indicator change from '10' to '9' as Cupid revived. She quickly made the connection, even though she had never seen anything like this before. "Ten lives? Should I be jealous?"

Sleepy shakes his head at the Cheetah-girl. "If you knew how those monst... how they took those lives," Sleepy says with a hint of disgust, "I doubt very much you'd find them enviable." This may seem like an odd sentiment coming from an owl that was just in a duel to the death ((OOC: albeit Sleepy's duel "today" was in this special Duel thread world where no one 'really' dies)). Sleepy appears to know something about Cupid and Molman. If you should find yourself feeling morbidly curious, feel free to ask him more.

Duel!
Piane wrote:((I might want to get this out of the way, Roland wears a exoskeleton with armoured plates as reenforcement under the coat, not sure if Cupid's arrow has enough oomph to pierce through it))

((OOC: Ah, well it was established in SIAFR canon that Cupid's spirit arrows aren't affected by the physical world. Since even the thickest plate of steel isn't alive, and thus has no 'spirit' it cannot stop her arrows. A frog or even something as fragile as a flower, however, could stop her arrows since they are living beings with 'spirit'.

The counter side of this however is that they cannot cause physical damage. Instead, they cause things like altered perceptions, stimulated emotions, and seeded ideas to name a few possibilities. Mental resistance helps heal the wounds, but given enough damage one will eventually wear-down.))

Moleman had only poked his head out of the ground a little earlier and was already on his way back under when Roland shot so unless the bullet can drill through several feet of dirt he successfully dodges it.

Meanwhile, Cupid takes her shot as with an arrow labeled 'physical attraction'. If it hits Roland, it will alter his perception of Cupid. Whatever he may have thought of the middle-aged woman before, he will now see her as the most shockingly beautiful and physically attractive person he's ever laid eyes on.
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piane on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:18 pm

((Roland's only protection from anything 'spiritual' would be the fact that his body is more 'machine then man' due to an insane amount of cybernetics. This causes a bit of a 'placebo' effect with his perceptions, as he believes he is no longer fully human. Finally, if the only attacks Cupid is using involves lust and other related emotions, Roland doesn't let those kinds of things slow him down.

On another note, if Roland's vision is provided by a pair of cybernetic eyes, does their machine aspect have any effect on these perceptions?))

With his anger focused on Moleman, Roland didn't even notice getting hit by Cupid's arrow. With his shot whizzing harmlessly above Moleman's head, Roland decided to improvise. He pulled out a incendiary grenade (Written on the side was "Thermite! Yum!") and tossed it into the hole Moleman just ducked into.

Piane
Keenspot Despot

Postby OzLionHeart on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Picnic Tables
SleepyOrigami wrote:Sleepy shakes his head at the Cheetah-girl. "If you knew how those monst... how they took those lives," Sleepy says with a hint of disgust, "I doubt very much you'd find them enviable." This may seem like an odd sentiment coming from an owl that was just in a duel to the death ((OOC: albeit Sleepy's duel "today" was in this special Duel thread world where no one 'really' dies)). Sleepy appears to know something about Cupid and Molman. If you should find yourself feeling morbidly curious, feel free to ask him more.

"That sounds like there's a story behind it," the cheetah-girl said, her posture (ears sweeping forward, her attention focusing on Sleepy) making it fairly obvious that she wanted to hear it.
Image Image Image Image

OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby SleepyOrigami on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 pm

OOCzone
Piane wrote: Roland doesn't let those kinds of things slow him down.

Cupid’s power is not so much a question of what Roland does or lets happen as it is of what he is capable of doing. A Vulcan for example does not let irrational emotions get in the way of logical action, but under the influence of Pon Farr even a most logical Vulcan is capable of being controlled by emotion.

Piane wrote: Roland's only protection from anything 'spiritual' would be the fact that his body is more 'machine then man' due to an insane amount of cybernetics. This causes a bit of a 'placebo' effect with his perceptions, as he believes he is no longer fully human.

Even purely emotionless artificial intelligences can be swayed by injected emotion. Take for example, the Android Data from ST:TNG. His brother Lore was able to very effectively control him by selectively transmitting emotions generated by Dr. Soong’s chip to this otherwise incapable of emotion android in the two part episode “Descent”. Of course this is a special case. Data was receiving emotional data that his mind was designed to be compatible with. It is wholly possible that Roland simply isn’t compatible with high levels of emotional data. I don’t know his capabilities, so this is your call.

Piane wrote: On another note, if Roland's vision is provided by a pair of cybernetic eyes, does their machine aspect have any effect on these perceptions?

Eyes provide sensory information. It is the brain, the seat of the psyche (spirit, soul, etc.), that interprets or perceives that data as having meaning. So while one person might see an animal and perceive it to be a Siberian ibex, another person with comparable eyes (vision) might see the same animal and perceive it to be a unicorn. This is more a matter of mentality than of physicality therefore I doubt the quality of one’s eyes has much effect on dampening changes to basic perception. But to answer your question, yes it is possible that his eyes could influence his perceptions to a degree. For example, cupid couldn’t make a colorblind person like one color more than another if said person cannot distinguish between the two colors.

Piane wrote: Finally, if the only attacks Cupid is using involves lust and other related emotions,

On basic level, Cupid specializes in heightening only one emotion (while deadening all others) and that emotion is Love. Her power is ultimately modeled after the Confessor’s Touch from the Sword of Truth (Legend of the Seeker) series. Some key differences are that Cupid’s power is weaker, temporary, ranged, and somewhat varied in short term effect. Her long term battle strategy is similar however in that she wants to win Roland’s loyalty by striping away his sense of self until he is effectively devoid of free will.

That being said, there are other things Cupid can do besides the spiritual attacks, but I want to establish a basic understanding of the characters involved and how their abilities interact on a fundamental level before attempting anything more advanced. I apologize for the wall of text, but these are concepts that are difficult for me to explain in brief. I hope this information was useful.

Picnic Tables
OzLionHeart wrote: "That sounds like there's a story behind it," the cheetah-girl said, her posture (ears sweeping forward, her attention focusing on Sleepy) making it fairly obvious that she wanted to hear it.

Sleepy hesitates a moment then sighs as he says, “alright, I suppose you have a right to know seeing as you may have to face them in battle someday.” He takes a seat at one of the tables and motions for the Cheetah girl to sit with him, “Please have a seat. It may be a short story, but it is a rather complicated one.”

Earth!
Piane wrote:With his anger focused on Moleman, Roland didn't even notice getting hit by Cupid's arrow. With his shot whizzing harmlessly above Moleman's head, Roland decided to improvise. He pulled out a incendiary grenade (Written on the side was "Thermite! Yum!") and tossed it into the hole Moleman just ducked into.

This appears to effective as evidenced by what smells like roasting mole flesh wafting out of the hole in the ground. As moleman dies, a mole icon appears on the Duel screen with the number 5 next to it.

Sky!
Piane wrote:Roland didn't even notice getting hit by Cupid's arrow.

Cupid, unnoticed by Roland at this point, moves to a higher altitude and waits for the fire to die down. She then takes out Moleman’s puzzle cube and twists it in the same sequence that He had done for her earlier. The cube glows with a dull brown aura and so does Moleman as he regenerates unseen underground. At this point, Roland might believe he has defeated both his opponents since he has killed both of them once now and has not directly witnessed a resurrection as of yet.
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Piane on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:03 pm

((Huh, that was quite the info-dump...))

After the fire died down, Roland took a look into the hole, wanting to see the body out of morbid curiosity. He holstered the handgun, and dropped the grenade pin. "Well, that's that. I guess. I think I might've gone too far..."

Piane
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to Mayhem