"Real" Lowenbrau

It's The Odd Couple, but with a reanimated chunk of beef and lots of swearing. But it comes with your very own hug machine to make you feel loved!

Moderators: enigmaartist, scrubbo

"Real" Lowenbrau

Postby Casual Notice on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:20 am

Don't kid yourself, Scrubs. Miller either owns the German brewery or has an exclusive with them. You won't find any Lowenbrau in the US that doesn't taste like every other bottle of US Lowenbrau. The problem and probable difference comes in that old-style lagering and filtering methods don't produce a beer that travels well. This is why the Coors company limited their distribution range (they refuse to license satellite breweries) until they were able to ship the beer quickly and properly (there's still a huge difference between in-range Coors, and Coors on the East Coast).

The only way to get the Lowenbrau he way it's supposed to be is to travel to Germany. I advise doing so at any time other than Oktoberfest. Those guys take their beer-and-sausage holidays seriously.
The savior of billions (Norman Borlaug) dying barely rated a mention in the news this year. Farrah Fawcett wore a bikini well back in the 70s and she got international coverage. Good job, society.
--Lisa Skye Ioannidis
Casual Notice
Keenspot Despot

Postby scrubbo on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:03 am

Actually, according to wikipedia they have started shipping the real german brews into the US a few years back. I have never seen it, but supposedly it can be had.
Scrubbo
http://www.boxcomics.com
http://www.filthylies.net
http://www.sillyconev.com (ended)

"I'm happy to inform you that you may be the ANTI-BOBBY. " --- Chris Crosby (Your pal!)
scrubbo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Casual Notice on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:54 am

Yeah, I understood that, my point was that a lot of European imports end up tasting like swill when the get to the States just because they aren't made to travel and they don't travel well.

I used to know an Irish fellow who explained to me that Harp Lager (which has always been imported) was a better beer in Ireland than the swill they serve here. The same can be said for Heineken, Tuborg, Ki-Rin, and any number of others (except Red Stripe...it's just swill).

Actually the travel issue is what killed the microbrewery fad (Sam Adams in the Northeast is a nice, mellow pale ale, in Texas it's something you might use to clean ceramic surfaces if you don't mind having your bathroom smell like rancid urine).

But, as far as it goes, good luck on your quest. There are traditionally-German settlements in cntral and western Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio, so a local lounge there may be importing it.
The savior of billions (Norman Borlaug) dying barely rated a mention in the news this year. Farrah Fawcett wore a bikini well back in the 70s and she got international coverage. Good job, society.
--Lisa Skye Ioannidis
Casual Notice
Keenspot Despot

Return to Filthy Lies