New Readers Guide

The ongoing story of Chelsea Chattan, a witch, who after a three year absence, returns to her hometown only to find out that things are not always what they seem.

Moderator: Jamie

New Readers Guide

Postby Jamie on Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi Cats. I would like to create a New Readers Guide for COTC and I could use some suggestions. If you had just come to COTC, what would you like to see in a New Readers Guide? What would you have liked to have seen as a new reader yourself?

Thanks,

Jamie
Jamie, KCI in the Order of the Knights of Jubal
Probi Immotiqve Este: Be virtuous and cool. PIQE.
Clan of the Cats
Melpomene: The Chaos Orb: An online graphic novel by Jamie Robertson and Clint Hollingsworth
Sebo: A weekly webcomic about a girl and her cat.
NCWCCC

"I don't believe in atheism." - Hawkeye Pierce M*A*S*H*
"Some times the Magic works. Some times it doesn't." - Cheif Dan George Little Big Man
Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: New Readers Guide

Postby Sage Blackthorn on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:52 am

Jamie wrote:Hi Cats. I would like to create a New Readers Guide for COTC and I could use some suggestions. If you had just come to COTC, what would you like to see in a New Readers Guide? What would you have liked to have seen as a new reader yourself?

Thanks,

Jamie

Well Jamie yer in luck!

I only started reading COTC last month. I've spent many sleepless nights reading through the archive and bringing myself upto date on who's who and what's what in the story. 'Course I only do that with the web comix I REALLY like. I think part of it is that you have a cat named "Sebastian" in the comic. He doesn't look anything like my cat Sebastian, but the attitude matches perfectly, you did a great job on his personality.

First, a short introduction to the characters. Just a paragraph or two about who they are, what their relationship to each other is, a bit of personal history. Maybe a small portrait or sketch so the new readers know who they're reading about. I've noticed a couple cross-overs, so a link to the characters own comix would be nice too.

Second, I noticed you have the series divided up into different story arcs. So a short synopsis of each arc with a link to the beginning of each would make jumping right into things easier. I didn't have a problem starting at the beginning, but then I like to be thorough. Other readers may just want to get a general idea of things and jump right into the current story. Did I mention I spent many sleepless nights reading until the wee hours of the morning to get caught up on things? I haven't done that since reading Neil Gaiman's "American Gods".

I can't think of anything else at the moment, I'm sure the other fans will come up with some ideas. It's 5:30am for me right now and I need to get some sleep. Seems I've pulled another all-nighter again.

You might be interested to know that New Witch magazine did an article on web comix, and they mentioned quite a few from Keenspot. I was surprise that COTC wasn't mentioned in the article, what with your main character being a witch. Oh My Gods and Sinfest were mentioned, along with Neurotically Yours (Foamy the Squirrel) and "Little Foot" by Adam Phillips (which I'm gonna have to write New Witch about. Little Foot is only one episode in the Brackenwood series). Perhaps all the COTC fans might e-mail New Witch magazine and point out that apparent oversite that caused your strip to be left out. I plan to.

Sage
"Sometimes, the way you THINK it is, isn't the way it really is at all." --St. Orin--

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda--

"If the world is to be saved, it will not be saved by old minds with new programs. If the world is to be saved, it will be saved by new minds and no programs at all." "No paradigm is ever able to imagine the next one. "--Daniel Quinn, The Story of B--
Sage Blackthorn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jamie on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:05 pm

Thank you, Sage. I will keep your advice in mind, as well as the other ideas posted on the Catnips.

As to the New Witch magazine there are a multitude of reasons why COTC would have been omited, but if you ever hear from them I would be interested in to know what it was.

Thanks!

Jamie
Jamie, KCI in the Order of the Knights of Jubal
Probi Immotiqve Este: Be virtuous and cool. PIQE.
Clan of the Cats
Melpomene: The Chaos Orb: An online graphic novel by Jamie Robertson and Clint Hollingsworth
Sebo: A weekly webcomic about a girl and her cat.
NCWCCC

"I don't believe in atheism." - Hawkeye Pierce M*A*S*H*
"Some times the Magic works. Some times it doesn't." - Cheif Dan George Little Big Man
Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Clan of the Cats