[OT] Seduction of the innocent?

The ongoing story of Chelsea Chattan, a witch, who after a three year absence, returns to her hometown only to find out that things are not always what they seem.

Moderator: Jamie

[OT] Seduction of the innocent?

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:37 am

Erk. I may have screwed up slightly, and COTC is part of it.

I was in a grocery store last night when a young girl asked me about my COTC tee shirt, saying a friend of hers had one and that she wanted to know where it was from. I blithely told her the name of the series and the URL, and wrote it and a few others down.

It wasn't until I saw today's strip that it occurred to me to wonder how old she was. Not thirteen, I'm pretty sure. Oops.

I feel rather irresponsible now, though to be honest I'm not used to dealing with younger kids and it's not something I would have normally thought of. Had it occurred to me, though, I would have at the very least told her to have her parents look at the series first. I'm sort of hoping that they will anyway, as her father was there when she asked me about it, but I still feel foolish for it. I'm not usually much for the idea of 'protecting' children from 'dangerous' ideas - IMO it probably does more harm than good - but I'm not a parent myself and I know that most would want to at least know what their kids are viewing and have some sort of veto over it.
Last edited by Schol-R-LEA on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby Jamie on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:13 am

Thanks.

One would indeed hope that parents would supervise their children when surfing the internet. I realize that is sometimes an impossible job, but the internet is a reflection of the world around us and there are a lot worse sites out there than COTC.

The original page, which I still have, shows full frontal nudity from head to toe. I thought about putting up a warning on this one, but it does say PG-13, a rating which does allow nudity. Still, I have placed a link to the MPAA site and the PG-13 definition.

Here is a definition of PG-13 from the MPAA. I see no reason to divert from this formula when rating webcomics.

PG-13 is thus a sterner warning to parents, particularly when deciding which movies are not suitable for younger children. Parents, by the rating, are alerted to be very careful about the attendance of their under-teenage children. A PG-13 film is one which, in the view of the Rating Board, leaps beyond the boundaries of the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, or other contents, but does not quite fit within the restricted R category. Any drug use content will initially require at least a PG-13 rating. In effect, the PG-13 cautions parents with more stringency than usual to give special attention to this film before they allow their 12-year-olds and younger to attend. If nudity is sexually oriented, the film will generally not be found in the PG-13 category. If violence is too rough or persistent, the film goes into the R (restricted) rating. A film's single use of one of the harsher sexually derived words, though only as an expletive, shall initially require the Rating Board to issue that film at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive must lead the Rating Board to issue a film an R rating, as must even one of these words used in a sexual context. These films can be rated less severely, however, if by a special vote, the Rating Board feels that a lesser rating would more responsibly reflect the opinion of American parents.

PG-13 places larger responsibilities on parents for their children and moviegoing. The voluntary rating system is not a surrogate parent, nor should it be. It cannot, and should not, insert itself in family decisions that only parents can make. Its purpose is to give pre-screened informational warnings, so that parents can form their own judgments. PG-13 is designed to make parental decisions easier for films between PG and R.

Until now, not one single person posted any feedback concerning this particular comic, nor any others for the past few days, so I have to figure it is either okay or not particularly noteworthy.

Jamie
Jamie, KCI in the Order of the Knights of Jubal
Probi Immotiqve Este: Be virtuous and cool. PIQE.
Clan of the Cats
Melpomene: The Chaos Orb: An online graphic novel by Jamie Robertson and Clint Hollingsworth
Sebo: A weekly webcomic about a girl and her cat.
NCWCCC

"I don't believe in atheism." - Hawkeye Pierce M*A*S*H*
"Some times the Magic works. Some times it doesn't." - Cheif Dan George Little Big Man
Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Maritza Campos on Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:43 pm

It's tasteful nudity... it's not like it's even related to sensuality.

I mean, only in prudish America can a nipple make headlines.

Also, there's much worse to be seen on COTC. Like the Eleanor storyline, for example. Or the scene with the impaling and stuff.
Maritza Campos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:07 pm

*shrug* I'm not particularly prudish myself, as I'm sure you know :), but I also don't want to go stepping on anyone's parental prerogatives. I agree that in most other countries this wouldn't have been an issue at all; if it were me, I would be a lot more concerned about the blood than the nudity, but even then it's entirely within the storyline, and in this case, primarily symbolic.
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby Maritza Campos on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:25 pm

I also expect parents of fairly liberal thinking to not frown on anything as obviously pagan as COTC.
Maritza Campos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Silver Adept on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:12 am

I don't think you did anything wrong. The kid asked, and you gave. You're only as responsible for the parenting of other children as you feel you should be. For all you konw, this could be the beginning of a very fruitful and necessary discussion. Don't beat yourself up too much over it. You've done what librarians have been doing for ages.
Sir Alexander, KCI Eqvites Ivbalis, Snufficus Magus Argentus. Initial suggestor of name Order of Jubal. Probi Immotiqve Este!
Now accepting positions in M-Division. Come see what Science and Magic together can make! Apply by PM or post!
And now the creator of my own comic! Go see Faces
Gots a LiveJournal now. It's here!
Silver Adept
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jamie on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:48 am

The other nipple shows up Saturday. A friendly warning just in case. ;)

Jamie
Clan of the Cats
Melpomene: The Chaos Orb: An online graphic novel by Jamie Robertson and Clint Hollingsworth
NCWCCC

"Some times the Magic works. Some times it doesn't." - Cheif Dan George Little Big Man
Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Some thought

Postby HiFranc on Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:22 am

Schol, I wouldn't worry that much as Jamie has the warning "PG-13" in a visible place on the front page and her father knew about it. However, now that you've thought about it, it might be an idea to give the url to the parent in future.

Jamie, looking at the definition of PG-13 it seems that COTC should be rated higher. The fact that it isn't shows that the people who police this system have enough common sense to realise that webcomics are not the same as films.

A general observation:
Looking at the American rating system, it seems quite liberal in the sense that a lot of it is left to parent descretion. In the UK the categories are a lot stricter. Basically a "12" rating cannot be shown to under 12s, and the same for "15" and "18".

{edit}For recent decisions see:
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/recent/index.php?media=film

{edit 2}There has been a recent discussion of standards for videogames:
Have your Say debate of Videogames and society
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Jamie on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:51 am

I would say that the Dracula story is rated R and possibly what is known as a
Clan of the Cats
NCWCCC

Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: [OT] Seduction of the innocent?

Postby Jamie on Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:14 pm

Schol-R-LEA wrote:It wasn't until I saw today's strip that it occurred to me to wonder how old she was. Not thirteen, I'm pretty sure. Oops.

Not your fault in the slightest. You didn't know what I was planning, so there should be no worries. In point of fact, the t-shirt should give some clue as it is not a cute Manga character, but a realistic woman and a very mean looking realistic panther. ;)

Jamie
Clan of the Cats
NCWCCC

Jamie
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Clan of the Cats