"The Greatest Hero of All Time"

Come for the Danger. Stay for the Skirting. It's all here in this highly self-explanatory forum!

Moderator: Kiwi

"The Greatest Hero of All Time"

Postby Brian on Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:18 pm

"Believe it or not, I'm walking around, never though I could feel so Free-hee-heee!"

Okay, it's probably NOT The Greatest American Hero, but he does he bear a passing, silhouette resemblence to a certain Kopyrighted Kryptonian. 8)
Brian
Keenspot Despot

Postby Klyfix on Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:07 pm

Could it be her father, for all that he's dead?

Eh, probably reaching....
V. S. Greene : klyfix@aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...
Eckzylon
Klyfix''s Journal Thingy
"Death and Poverty love me so much they brought
friends!"-Vash in "Trigun"
Klyfix
Keenspot Despot

Good writing

Postby Scruffy on Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:56 am

"Oh my God, DID you?"

Second funniest line so far, the subsequent "No!" being the funniest.

Great work, Kiwi. See you in San Diego - you are definitely on my "pester for a sketch" list.

-Scruffy
Scruffy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Kappo on Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:00 pm

Hiya,

Hahaha, I liked the "Don't Climb Things". :D

But uh... wasn't there once an 'unexplainable force that saved me' back in... um... NGTI? It's a bit soon for me to judge... so I'm counting on you to turn this into something very original Meredith! :D

And just a little honest criticism... I think the story's moving a bit fast... and a few things seem a bit clich
Kappo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kiwi on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:28 am

Thanks for the honest critique, Kappo. I'm kind of interested in hearing other people's opinions on this matter, so I'll keep my response brief for now.

On "unexplainable force": I'm aware of the apparent similarity. I don't want to give anything away here.

What things seem cliched? Do they make the comic seem lacking in creativity? How does it seem rushed? Examples would be helpful.

In my defense I do think this story will be picking up soon. But yeah, I know it's been slow for a while.

Anybody else's feedback is welcome.
[url=http://www.octopuspie.com]Image
It's all here folks.[/url]
Skirting Danger archives ++BONUS
Kiwi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JoshM on Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:17 pm

I enjoyed reading [reeding] Kappo's rant.

It showed that he wants his comics done a certain way, and not wanting the cartoonists go with what they want.

And then stating that he has an idea of his own work but not having the ability to put it down on paper.

By all means, make a skirting danger or rpg world fan fiction, write it how you want it.

1) I don't think things are being cliche. Cliche means the expected is happening, and it's too early in the plot to know what's going to happen to claim it's cliches.

Which leads to

2) I don't know how you think it's being rushed when nothing has happened yet in this arc of Skirting Danger. I'd say that it's going too SLOW for a webcomic, with all the readers online who have a very short attention span for such things.

3) You should've e-mailed your criticism. It's more polite to be private, not public. These things can often fuel other people who are not as good-natured and can start inappropriate things.

4) RPG World's early pages and NGTI were written when those two cartoonists were in high school. That stuff was less prepared and less thought out than RPG World's recent work and Skirting Danger. Maybe you prefer randomness (hence liking IanComix).

5) It's not anyone's responsibility to fill your crave but yourself. Just because you have a problem making a comic, you shouldn't say "Well maybe this is your problem too." Seriously that's just mean. What makes you think these things aren't planned, because they are.

6) Being as harsh as you were, you still admit being a fan. These are the worst comments, I think. Double-edged compliments "Well... Your work sucks, but I like it anyway."

E-mail it next time, like I mentioned, and I wouldn't have made a rant in reply if you find me offensive! =D

edit: Oh, but I still thought you had this nice and friendly attitude going when you wrote it, so I shouldn't be so negative to you, because you could've been a meanie altogether.
JoshM
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

What He Said

Postby Al-Azif on Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:25 am

Josh pretty much already stated what I was thinking, but his post started off with a much funnier comment than what I would've written. Other than that: Ditto for me.
Al-Azif
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby zepher01 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:19 am

meh, i don't think it's going that slow. i mean, in the last comic you learned a little more about Courtney, so there's some character development.
zepher01
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kappo on Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:19 pm

Hiya,

Thanks, Kiwi, for being so understanding and open. :P

From my understanding, most webcomics with a storyline are planned a good amount in advance. I trust that you've done this (duh), so of course I can understand and sympathize with things that currently don't draw (haha, get it?) my fancy. Thus, I'm not worried so much about the "unexplainable force"... I have a feeling it'll strike me differently in the future than it does now.

Clich
Kappo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kappo on Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:28 am

Hiya,

Okay... hrm...... let's seeeee......

Aww man, I'm going to have to quote stuff to respond to them. :P Oh well! It's good that you separated everything in that case. :P

It showed that he wants his comics done a certain way, and not wanting the cartoonists go with what they want.

The way I see it is, everyone likes different things. There are three types of critiques -- self, public, and instruction. Self-critique makes you satisfied with your own work. No problems there. Instruction critiques are from people who teach you the stuffs. No problems there either. Public critiques are what make artists (comic, authors, musicians, martial... all of them artists) successful. If Meredith wanted to do a comic just for herself, she wouldn't put it on the web. Thankfully, she's very accepting of critiques. By making her comic available to others with the desire to have more regular readers, she's gotta accept public critiques to reach higher levels of success, no? It's an artist's choice to go with what he/she wants, versus what the public wants. Those wants may not be the same... and the artist will have to compromise between the two. This could mean doing what he/she wants while losing some fanbase. I don't know. I'll try to keep some of these responses shorter. :P

And then stating that he has an idea of his own work but not having the ability to put it down on paper.

By all means, make a skirting danger or rpg world fan fiction, write it how you want it.

Oh nonono... my own ideas are not SD or RPG World related. The separation wasn't distinct, but I meant to add that as a separate note. The question is, which is worse, having the ability without the means, or the means without the ability? (Again, it's a separate note. I'm not implying anything about SD here.)

1) I don't think things are being cliche. Cliche means the expected is happening, and it's too early in the plot to know what's going to happen to claim it's cliches.

I'd say clich
Kappo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby David_McGuire on Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:56 am

Make Courtney a gold fish. >=(
Image?
David_McGuire
Keenspot Despot

Postby Brian on Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm

David_McGuire wrote:Make Courtney a gold fish. >=(

Well, she already is a fish out of water.

Bada-bum-psh!
Brian
Keenspot Despot

Postby JoshM on Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:06 pm

I'm not offended. I find you out of line, assuming things that are not there, and imagining your own story in your head that is not actually what you see on your computer screen.

And I know your own ideas are not related to RPG World or Skirting Danger. But apparantly if you're not happy with this, then you should just spend your time working on your own interpretation of other people's brain child.

Public critiques DO NOT make something successful. If 95 out of 100 people like a comic the way it is, they will read it and leave it at that. If 5 out of 100 (you) find faults in it, are vocal, and find it's their job to complain about certain things that don't ultimately affect them, then the cartoonist would be doing a stupid thing by listening to those 5 who are not fully happy.

No, this comic is not cliche. Oh because you've seen similar things before? That's because this comic is a SATIRE. It's a twist of what is common in superhero stories and making it into an action/comedy.

Many other people who read webcomics sometimes waste their time by still reading the webcomic just to see how awful it is. They read it out of spite.

And you say that what you're doing is having this friendly approach on things because you know that Mer can handle critique.

Well. You don't know Mer. So maybe you're wrong.
Please don't email me, I'll simply delete them because I'm not wasting my time anymore with you than on this forum.

Think of this. Courtney is helping out Dale because it's in her personality to want to help people out. Like a superhero wants to help out a person. She also rushes into things too quickly. It's all part of a consistant character flaw that makes Courtney a very believable good girl, but an idiot.

Not all girls are smart and bitter or sarcastic. Some are airheads like Courtney. Some are stupid like Courtney. Showing that you don't like her is only freaking proof that Mer is writing her well.

This is just. Just STUPID to argue because I find your urges to try and make Mer go "oh you know what, he's got a point." is completely ridiculous. She's not going to change anything she does. I wouldn't. Nor would any other cartoonist.
JoshM
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kappo on Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:08 pm

Hiya,

EDIT:

:cry:

~Kap
Kappo
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Skirting Danger