WICKEDPOWERED

Video games, politics, and boobies! What more could you ask for? Don't answer that.

Moderators: Chris Crosby, Owen Gieni

WICKEDPOWERED

Postby Owen Gieni on Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:50 am

What do you guys think about our new comic WICKEDPOWERED?
It's been a lot of fun, and Wicked Lasers has been super cool about letting us tell the story we want. Girls, monsters, robots, zombies, aliens,... pretty much everthing that I like to draw has a part to play. If the comic is a hit it'll really help out Chris and I, so any support you can give is hugely appreciated.
Thanks everyone.

--Owen

http://wickedpowered.com/
Owen Gieni
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby effovex on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:25 am

After a couple of pages, I decided that it wasn't too bad but way too Tenchi-muyo-esque for my taste. I guess it's trying to cater to the innumberable fans of harem anime. :-?
Poison is an acquired taste.
effovex
Keenspot Despot

Postby J. on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:52 pm

I think its a riot.
J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby J. on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:40 pm

I think the name "Schlub" is really funny in itself.

Oh yeah, and I really liked the "Which one has McGuyver in it?" line from the last Sore Thumbs.
J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby Owen Gieni on Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:14 pm

It's funny, neither Chris nor I knew anything about Tenchi Muyo when we came up with the idea ( I do now). The time travelers weren't even girls initially, but we figured it would probably be wise to ad some hotties. It's a huge mishmash of stolen cartoon ideas anyway so what's one more?
I have been watching a bit of anime lately though, there's so much that I don't like about anime that it's hard for me to stick with a series.
I finished Basilisk, I thought that was good. I'm digging Bleach alright, but it goes on forever so I'll have to stop sometime, but I like how the main character isn't a wiener. I like some things about Eureka 7, character and mech design, but I hate whiny lead characters even if they have a cool name like Renton Thurston.
I watch Full Metal Alchemist as well but I wouldn't be choked if I missed an ep. That's all, I'm open for recommendations. I quit Samurai 7 and Trinity Blood after a few episodes, it's all whine, whine, whine. Why are so many anime characters so pretentious. I'd take Avatar the Last Airbender over any of 'em. Seriously.
Owen Gieni
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby effovex on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:25 am

I used to add new reviews from shows I watched in a previous thread that was originally about Berserk. It didn't really take off so I stopped adding reviews (the fact that I've been watching much less anime also contributed to the decline but then just about everything coming out of Japan right now is harem anime, more often than not based on hentai games, and for the most part they suck terribly)

Bleach had a pretty good period but now it's stuck in perpetual filler (although I hear the filler is actually watchable, surprisingly). I'll probably give it another go once the fillers are over. My biggest issue with Bleach are the love interests, which are utterly uninteresting (ironically). Orihime should really have been named "Big Tits" as that's pretty much her only quality, and Rukya is a fucking whiner. Stop whining bitch. Anyway, Bleach is a fun watch, a good DBZ variant.

I really like Major even though I dislike baseball. Goro (the main character) is just the paragon of sports anime character. You'll NEVER see him whine - in fact, he's always telling everyone how they're fucking pussies. He's pretty much the only reason to watch the show, but he's a great reason.

While waiting for season 3 of Major, the only show I follow right now is One Piece, which after a little bout of fillers is finally picking up with the story in an awesome way. One Piece is a bit of a rollercoaster ride as it isn't always consistent, but the good moments are some of the best I've ever seen. Most of the characters are great - Luffy is probably the best character ever, Zoro and Sanji are pretty damned cool, Usopp was annoying but now that he's back as SOGEKING he's pretty cool, Chopper is the cutest, funniest character ever, and Franky (who hopefully joins the crew after the current arc) is the most awesome Cola-powered cyborg I've ever seen. Nami and Robin are kind of disappointing, although they get some of the best dramatic scenes in the series (as a matter of fact, Nami going hysteric in the Arlong Park story arc is one of the finest bit of voice acting I've ever seen, and was a turning point in my appreciation of the show).

Here's a terrific One Piece AMV as an appetizer.
Last edited by effovex on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
effovex
Keenspot Despot

Postby RevSam on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:03 am

animu is for dorrkzzz
RevSam
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby effovex on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:13 pm

Yes.
effovex
Keenspot Despot

Postby NumbVox on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:23 pm

I like anime, I just don't like the terrible shit made for children - ie DBZ or Bleach.

I will admit to being a Full Metal Alchemist fan though.
.art
NumbVox
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby effovex on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:25 pm

DBZ and its ilk can generally be quite entertaining when they're well executed (which isn't actually the case with DBZ itself), and Bleach has its good moments, though the first 15 episodes or so are terrible. I had initially stopped watching Bleach after about 5 episodes as I found it excruciatingly bad, but about a year later everyone was telling me how I absolutly had to watch it and it became to be pretty good once they go to the Shinigami world (to my surprise, that turned out to be true). It's dumb and over the top but the mood, music and pacing are good enough to carry the show.

Full Metal Alchemist really doesn't do it for me. I watched about half the show before giving up on it. It wasn't really bad but the premise was just too dumb (so, alchemy isn't magic because to obtain something you have to trade something of equal value... BUT WHY IS IT THAT NO ONE ACTUALLY RESPECTS THAT RULE, EVER? It's fucking magic and stop it with the bullshit God damnit), the characters bored me and it never entertained me in any way.

On another subject, watch Hajime no Ippo because it's fucking good, plus the show is over (76 episodes IIRC) so you never have to worry about drudging through weeks of filler while waiting for some content. It's THE perfect sports anime, and the typical main character (hardworking shy guy without friends who finds respect, love and his place in the world through boxing) is surrounded by a great cast. The author makes a good job of making you care about everyone, including just about every opponent, and it's all very engaging. Here's a fairly good appetizer (too bad the aspect ratio is so messed up, but it's the best video I could find that's not a huge spoiler)
effovex
Keenspot Despot

Postby qwerts on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:42 pm

BUY LASERS, BITCH
Currently being Mean to YOU.
qwerts
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby qwerts on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:58 pm

(in case you're too brain-sick to figure it out by yourself, the above translates to:)
The comic is nothing but mindless fanservice (in contrast to sorethumbs which is nothing but mindless fanservice and chris crosby's writing).
I can't believe some laser company would actually want this partnership, much less sponsor it (I assume you're being sponsored one way or another) - why would people buy lasers just on account of reading the comic?
And yeah, where's chris crosby's writing? He is co-authering it, right?
qwerts
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby qwerts on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:08 pm

(and because some(all?) people, especially artists, aren't genetically modified to read complements between the lines:)
Owen's artwork is great, i like it in sorethumbs a lot, and if i liked wickedpowered, i would love owen's artwork there as well.
question : who IS writing wickedpowered?
qwerts
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby effovex on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:16 pm

I think Chris' writing is easily discerned in the comic. It's his humour that's strangely absent. The dialogues are entirely Chris though.

Then again Sore Thumbs was kinda generic and bland at first, yet now it's really obviously Chris' work. Maybe starting off inoffensively to attract peons then gradually working in his own brand of absurd humour is his strategy.
effovex
Keenspot Despot

Postby qwerts on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:41 pm

True, which reminds me : Humor, of any kind, is mostly absent. what's up with that?
qwerts
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chris Crosby on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:36 pm

I'm writing it, but not in my "normal" style. I'm specifically trying to write it in kind of a bland, relatively flavorless way in order to imitate/satirize the standard branded comic. It may be a bit too subtle. My normal style seems to be creeping in a bit with each strip. I think there's some decent humor in Friday's strip, with the cloud-fondling and such. But humor is not really the point of WICKEDPOWERED, it's a sci-fi adventure comic.

Good observation about SORE THUMBS being similar at first, I was trying to hold back a bit (as much as I could, anyway) so I wouldn't scare off the mass audience I was aiming for with ST that tends not to dig my style of humor too much. But I just couldn't hold it in, so the strip got nuttier as it progressed. This is probably why it has only 15,000+ readers every update day instead of 100,000+. That and the political element, which turns off a lot of people.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby J. on Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:14 am

I see Rondel Mayflower saying that he drinks a bucket of horse seamen everytime a friend dies frightening off more mainstream readers than anything else.

Also, I think Sore Thumbs has actually become a lot more crazy than Superosity.
J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chris Crosby on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:35 am

J. wrote:I see Rondel Mayflower saying that he drinks a bucket of horse seamen everytime a friend dies frightening off more mainstream readers than anything else.

I agree!
Also, I think Sore Thumbs has actually become a lot more crazy than Superosity.

Also agreed.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby qwerts on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:35 am

I think sorethumbs and superosity are crazier than each other in their own ways.
talking about which, WHY is that that both comics are so unpopular? Do most people truly hate chris's humor-style?
qwerts
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ringading on Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:44 pm

Everyone loves Superosity so much that many people have daily parties where they gather together in large rooms to read each update from a single monitor. This makes the hit count misleading.
Ringading
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chris Crosby on Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:57 am

qwerts wrote:I think sorethumbs and superosity are crazier than each other in their own ways.

Maybe you're right.
talking about which, WHY is that that both comics are so unpopular?

I wouldn't say SORE THUMBS is unpopular. It has about 15,000 unique visitors every update day. That's about what DIESEL SWEETIES seems to get, for example, and that's generally considered to be a popular strip. It's no PENNY ARCADE, of course. Or CTRL-ALT-DEL, for that matter.

You're right that SUPEROSITY is unpopular, though. At least for a webcomic that's been running for nearly 8 years and has been prominently featured all over the place. It only gets about 1,500 unique visitors per day.
Do most people truly hate chris's humor-style?

I don't think my humor-style is crowd-pleasing, but it grows on you if you're forced to read it, or at least that's what I'm constantly told. That's why I tried to make the concept of SORE THUMBS as appealing as possible to the masses, so a bunch of people would force themselves to read it. Owen's artwork sure didn't hurt matters, of course.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby Chris Crosby on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:10 am

Ringading wrote:Everyone loves Superosity so much that many people have daily parties where they gather together in large rooms to read each update from a single monitor. This makes the hit count misleading.

Heh, Tycho and Gabe once told me they used to rather around a single monitor to read it back when they did so religiously.
Chris Crosby
KeenAdmin

Postby J. on Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:45 pm

Superosity is the Velvet Underground of comics.

I'm starting to think Wickedpower needs more humour, though.
J.
Keenspot Despot

Postby NumbVox on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:03 pm

I'd rather be raped by an elephant than read Superosity.
.art
NumbVox
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby J. on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:36 pm

You must really love getting raped by an elephant.
J.
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Sore Thumbs