There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

I think Aerie is gone...

Postby SamTheUnPokeable on Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:01 pm

...Starting to get worried.
SamTheUnPokeable
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby badkittyface on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:12 pm

she's locked in my basement! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA~!
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:12 pm

Nah, she's just been hit by a car after moving to a new area and thus is listed as Jane Doe in the hospital with no one to reconize or miss her.

At least, that's the version Something Positive gives.....
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Update

Postby HiFranc on Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:45 pm

A look in at her LJ group says that someone has spotted that her Live Journal is still being updated (although no-one can ready it because it's friends only).
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby badkittyface on Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:07 pm

yeah... i hooked up a 'puter down there for her. it keeps her quiet. if she's a good girl and doesn't make too much noise, she gets tiramisu for dinner.
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SamTheUnPokeable on Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:57 pm

badkittyface wrote:yeah... i hooked up a 'puter down there for her. it keeps her quiet. if she's a good girl and doesn't make too much noise, she gets tiramisu for dinner.

Thats barely prison
SamTheUnPokeable
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby badkittyface on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:46 am

hey, she's a model inmate.

when you're good to Mama...
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:29 am

Tiramisu? :shifty:

............wouldn't happen to need another prisoner, would you? :nervous:
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby badkittyface on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:13 pm

i know. i'd commit criminal acts for the stuff, too. yum~
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Betelgeuse on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:38 pm

and then there's the irony of the last comic posted. first line - "all right kestrel, i'm glad to see you back."
hope all is well and aeire comes back to visit us one day
Betelgeuse
Junior Keenspotter

Postby TreeHuggingHippie on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:35 pm

I got so frustrated that I just went through the archive and read the rest. I still check in, though, because I want to hear what she has to say about a few of the strips, especially the last one.
"Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop." --Anita Blake, "The Laughing Corpse"
TreeHuggingHippie
Keenspotter Supreme

So, Aeire is NOT dead...

Postby applec on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:44 pm

Aeire just posted to the live journal community with a request to stop stalking here as well.

You know what? I'm going to get blasted by a bunch of people, heaven forbid I don't kiss butt all the time, but I'm giong to say it anyway. I enjoy the commentary. I've liked reading what the author was thinking. I never minded that sometimes it wasn't 7 days a week as promised. As I'm sure some of you guys will quite rapidly point out, I didn't pay for anything. Of course, I'm not entitled to anything. Of course, by checking the site for the promised commentary, I was giving traffic to the site, but that's another matter. HOWEVER. A month and no word? And she finally finds the 30 seconds it takes to post something, and it's a request to stop stalking. Yeah, she says there will be more later, but it's not even on the site, it's in a live journal community. When you log onto a site every day for a month (or every few days), is it not normal to worry that something's going on? No update, no nothing. No "sorry, it's going to be a few weeks, more later".

I may check one or two more days, but I think I'm done. Webcomic artists want to build a strong base, sell some merchandise, whatever. And then, when the fanbase is actually worried that something's wrong, and tracks her down (not her phone number or anything), she posts a stop stalking me thing. Fine. I'll stop logging on to the web page, too. I was interested in seeing what else she was doing after QoW, but now, I say why bother. If I'm going to get interested in something, donate, buy merchandise, and then be left hanging for a month, then why bother. Go ahead and tell me good for you, we don't want you anyway. But you can't tell me that for most of you, at least a small part of you feels exactly like I do.
applec
Junior Keenspotter

Re: So, Aeire is NOT dead...

Postby badkittyface on Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:03 pm

applec wrote:Aeire just posted to the live journal community with a request to stop stalking here as well.

if you read the previous community post (the one with the "missing poster" image), it had a bunch of people saying "omg i saw her post HERE *link*", and someone actually followed one of her posts in a different journal and replied to it with the poster picture. i mean, come on... that is so obsessive.

i do think it sucks that the commentary has come to a standstill. hell, i started reading QoW after it was finished, so after two or three nights of eyeball-glazing comic intake, i was rabid for more. however, i'm used to artists taking big, long breaks... any Sinfest reader can sympathize.

i thought her post came off as a little snooty, but so what? she has a good comic and a shit-ton of fans... i'd be all sorts of snooty if i had all that. i don't think she's being stuck up, though. her writing style is similar to a friend of mine's... but anyway, what's my point? hmm. oh yeah: quitcher bitchin', blahblahblah, somebody call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE!

etcetera~
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby applec on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:16 am

I did read the post, and it was a little obsessive. However, I think it's sad that it took something of that magnitude to get her to take 30 seconds to post an update, just so we knew she wasn't in the hospital. I was seriously beginning to think that she was, or that something horrid had happened. Thankfully, it sounds like she's fine, just that she's lazy. Also, fine with me, provided I don't have some nagging voice in my head saying something horrid might have happened. Which is why I didn't join in everyone else complaining about late posts and such. She deserves the benefit of the doubt. Now she's just got the doubt.
applec
Junior Keenspotter

Postby badkittyface on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:21 am

i think i'm just going to save time and leave you to your crucifix.
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby applec on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:41 am

Is it truly that unreasonable to want some kind of word? I mean really? Not a new commentary, just a "commentary delayed for a while, but I'm fine?" That's all I wanted. I guess some of you are okay with that.

I think I'm maninly upset that the first word we hear are that her fans have creeped her out. Maybe she underestimated her fan base. Maybe she thought we wouldn't care. At least this time she did say that she would leave more later.
applec
Junior Keenspotter

Postby HiFranc on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:57 am

apple,

I don't think you've being unreasonable from your experience of things.

I've been a member of this forum whilst the comic was still going strong. When the comic was still in its first Aeire posted to this forum every day (or, at the very least, every time the comic updated). When the comic ended she told us she was repeating with commentary and then didn't visit any more.

The repeats started and she did post occasionally to the QOW LJ site and even less often here. It was obvious she was busy and we've had time to get used to things.

{edit}I just realised -- it's been over a year since the comic ended!
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Fleurdelys on Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:18 am

applec wrote:Is it truly that unreasonable to want some kind of word? I mean really? Not a new commentary, just a "commentary delayed for a while, but I'm fine?" That's all I wanted. I guess some of you are okay with that.

I don't think you're being unreasonable to think she should have let a little word to tell us it'd take a while, but I do think you are for getting upset because she didn't.

QoW has been over for over a year. She said she'd re-post it with comments, and she did that for us readers to give us a gift. Perhaps she did it for herself, too, because ending something like that maybe requires some kind of mourning. I don't know, I'm only guessing. I've written many stories that I was actually sad to end, knowing that I'd really miss the characters. Now, we're greedy little things, and we always want more, and I was just as disappointed as everyone else when she stopped posting comments. Keeping this in mind, though, maybe her own mourning of the story was done, and posting them became a hassle to her; not in the "oh no I have to post a comment *sighs and rolls her eyes in annoyance*" kind of way, but rather in a way where she doesn't need it anymore. My mourning is done too. I loved the comments, I thought it was fun, and yes, I was worried about what might have happened to her, but it didn't keep me from sleeping.

She should have left a word, she didn't, and although it's a shame, there's nothing terrible about it. I've started a lot of stories I didn't finish, I've left readers hanging myself, I'd be a hypocrite to blame her for doing something I did myself.

I stopped checking the website because I figured it wouldn't be updated anymore. I doubt she will, despite her last post. She was probably pissed about all the emails when she posted it, there has to be a reason for a snotty post, I never pictured her a snob. She has a life beside being a webcomic writer. I wish her good, but QoW is over to me, and I'm waiting, although not checking everyday, for the next project.

Yes, people read and donated, bought stuff. And while people did that, she gave the merchandise, always updated, explained why she didn't when it happened, was a good seller. Now the webcomic is over, she doesn't sell anything anymore, and I'm pretty sure no one is donating anymore. She doesn't owe anything to anyone.

I'm only coming back here to keep contact ;) *hugs everyone*
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SamTheUnPokeable on Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:34 pm

Sorry, thats just bullcrap. Aerie is seriouslly acting stuck up here, and I for one am done with this P.O.S. comic. looking back it had a weak storyline that was ALL over the place, and the ending sucked. There are FAR FAR better comics out there than QOW and those manage to act like they give a damn about their readers.

Oh. Whats that? I can hear all the avid fans coming to rush to Aeries side and kiss her ass. Tell her its all ok and everything will be great. You wonder why she acts stuck up....
SamTheUnPokeable
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:34 am

There were complaints about the movie "A history of violence" and it's ending. The truth is that it's the perfect ending for the movie, and QoW has the ending that it needed. Life is a journey, and in the end you leave for something else. Get the metaphor?

As far as the complaints about the storyline... It's one of the loveable idiosyncracisys (sp?) of webcomics. If you think QoW is bad look at Achewood, he drops storylines in the middle of them when ever a whim hits him.

I'm not defending her, I'm just saying deal with it. She wanted to stop so she did. I enjoy the comic, but I'm not spazing out that she stopped the updates. There are more comics out there, and I'm sure you can find something else to take your affections.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby badkittyface on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:33 am

jeez... why are people getting so angsty over this? do you people seriously walk around moping and bitching to your coworkers/friends/babysitter/whatever that "man, this webcomic i read all the time stopped updating" and expecting actual sympathy? probably not, because it's a lame thing to bitch about. and serves no purpose, because i'm sure that if stalking Aerie doesn't produce updates, pitching a hissy fit in her forum won't, either.
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SamTheUnPokeable on Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:41 am

badkittyface wrote:jeez... why are people getting so angsty over this? do you people seriously walk around moping and bitching to your coworkers/friends/babysitter/whatever that "man, this webcomic i read all the time stopped updating" and expecting actual sympathy? probably not, because it's a lame thing to bitch about. and serves no purpose, because i'm sure that if stalking Aerie doesn't produce updates, pitching a hissy fit in her forum won't, either.

No one is "pitching a hissy fit". I am just saying Aerie just lost my web traffic permanently. This is my last post here. Goodbye.
SamTheUnPokeable
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Adam The Alien on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:04 am

SamTheUnPokeable wrote:No one is "pitching a hissy fit". I am just saying Aerie just lost my web traffic permanently. This is my last post here. Goodbye.

Captain! The drama whore sensor is going off the scale! Advise going to Whine Alert!

Sorry about that. That was mean, but I couldn't resist. That was just so...incredibly silly. And hilariously pointless.

Seriously, though, why all the melodrama around here? It's a webcomic. A damn fine one. One of the best. But it's over. The commentary's cool, but I'd rather a well thought-out commentary on the terms of the artist than a rushed, "I'm doing this because I have to update" one. This is hardly the first time a webcomic artist has gone without updating and without notice. I was a fan of Elf Only Inn, and that stopped in the midst of a storyline with no explanation whatsoever, with NO signs of continuing. It's the nature of the Internet. Things stop updating, or disappear entirely. It sucks, but if you can't deal with it, stop reading stuff online. Aeire remains, even now, one of the most responsible webcomic artists I've seen when it comes to updating. Especially as I seriously doubt she gets anywhere near the amount of income from webcomic-ing as, say, Penny Arcade...even though the comic is superior in quality. I've seen, and been a fan of, webcomics with updating schedules a great deal sketchier.

Ah, Hell, I've given this response far too much attention already. Which is exactly what the drama whores like. My point is, be patient or just stop checking. There's no reason to get all melodramatic about it. This board, from what I can see, has acquired a lot of negative vibes since I frequented it last.
Adam The Alien
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby applec on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:03 am

Adam The Alien wrote:
SamTheUnPokeable wrote:This board, from what I can see, has acquired a lot of negative vibes since I frequented it last.

It has. But there wouldn't be, I hope, if there had just been some word about commentary ending, or whatnot. Just some word. There are plenty of webcomics that don't update regularly, but mostly regularly. And if there's a delay, then they post that there's a delay. No biggie. As a fan, I suppose I'm not pissed off so much as disappointed. And everyone is all excited over the new comic... I'm not sure about Xenity, but from what I've been reading, apparently she just ended it without finishing it. With this commentary, she's just ending it with zero word for over a month.

It must be nice for an artist to have fans that don't care about regular, or semi-regular updates, and this comic is cute, but it's not amazing. Aeire has permanently lost me as a fan. No skin off her teeth, or course, no drama about it. I thought I'd check in today, see if there were any changes, and then unbookmark the site and move on. I'm happy for you guys that will wait months without word and excitedly anticipate a comic that will probably end with no ending and no word from the author. Like I said, it's a cute comic.
applec
Junior Keenspotter

Postby badkittyface on Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:15 pm

i just think it's hilarious that the person who started this thread with "oooh, i'm SO worried about Aerie" (which is the kiss-ass way of saying "OMG AERIE AERIE POST HERE") found out that she was just fine and proceeded directly on to "fuck this place... g'bye".
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Queen of Wands