Broken promises

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Broken promises

Postby Disgruntled on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:32 am

Right at the top of the QoW website I am promised "..a seven-day a week run of QoW with commentary". However, the strip hasn't been updated in over ten days.

Aeire, all this does is make you look unprofessional. Of course I understand that sometimes 'real life' can make it hard to keep up - but if you know this is going to be the case, surely you should not make a commitment you cannot fulfil. Perhaps you should change the wording of your welcome message?
Disgruntled
Junior Keenspotter

Postby damicovu on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:13 pm

Rest assured most of us are not 'disgruntled', Aerie. Although we are getting a bit restless...
damicovu
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fleurdelys on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:01 pm

Wow, disgruntled. She's already doing something she really doesn't have to do. It's not as if you can't go read the archives, don't tell me you got addicted to the comments that much.

Sometimes life has its own ways, and she has her reasons not to be able to "fulfill her commitment". Jeez.
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:21 am

Am okay with the commentary not updating, but am curious as to what's happening to keep it from doing so. Everything alright?
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby animaetaeris on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:52 pm

you know, disgruntled is justified in his/her opinion. No, Aerie doesn't have to fulfill her "commitment", but if she says she'll do something, why not do it, or adjust what she says she'll do to reflect what her loyal readers can look for realistically? (Look at SP for example- there are no promises there of regular updates.)
After weeks without updates, I start to feel silly coming back to the same old page- what sign is there that the site hasn't been abandoned and we won't be getting any more future commentary, or info about her new comic project? This isn't the first time new commentary has been on extended hiatus, and I definitely understand that the real world steps in and demands attention on a regular basis, so why not change the welcome message to reflect that updates will happen as regularly as possible? She won't lose readers, and we'll all be much less antsy/frustrated/disgruntled/whatever state of mind people are in.
animaetaeris
Junior Keenspotter

If you're THAT disgruntled...

Postby featheredfrog on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:17 am

...maybe you should ask for a refund of every dime you paid for QoW, eh?

I mean, how dare Aeire fail in her "obligations" to YOU, her paying customer.

What? Oh.
featheredfrog
Junior Keenspotter

Postby miarrow on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:52 pm

People are allowed to show their opinions be they negative or positive, every single freaking forum I see has someone saying something in the slightest sense and they get jumped at by "loyal" fans.

Just chill unless someone is saying something abusive.

Yeah it is a little tiring, because it's not drawing the comic completely it's updating the commentary. I'm personally getting a little twerked with it, although I am not the type of person to go on a board and say that.

Because people jump at you for expressing your opinions.

So don't get all "OH WEBCOMICS ARE FREE SO THEY CAN HAVE AS SHODDY OF A SERVICE AS THEY WANT OMG!" on us, because really they don't. And not that I am going to go to the point where I'll complain, because it is free and people have lives (even though commentary, not comic - but I am not aware about how the updating system works, so maybe she can only do one or two in advance and not just write up all of them).

But people will have their opinions as you have yours. Disagree fairly and not by snapping at them and calling them selfish whiners.
Last edited by miarrow on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miarrow
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby damicovu on Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:45 pm

Ah, the train's moving again. Rants over, everybody. Please turn your attention now to putting gentle but firm pressure on Josh Phillips...
damicovu
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby featheredfrog on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:49 am

miarrow wrote:People are allowed to show their opinions be they negative or positive, every single freaking forum I see has someone saying something in the slightest sense and they get jumped at by "loyal" fans.

(snippage)

So don't get all "OH WEBCOMICS ARE FREE SO THEY CAN HAVE AS SHODDY OF A SERVICE AS THEY WANT OMG!" on us, because really they don't.

(more snippage)

It's not about shoddy service. There IS NO shoddy service in something somebody's giving you: you are NOT ENTITLED to Free Web Comics. You are NOT ENTITLED to anything you aren't willing to compensate for (and no, "being a fan" is NOT compensation). In the grownup world if there's no consideration, there is no obligation. So go read another comic, and be happy Aeire is again posting. She doesn' t HAVE to. No matter HOW much you want it.
featheredfrog
Junior Keenspotter

Postby miarrow on Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 am

featheredfrog wrote:It's not about shoddy service. There IS NO shoddy service in something somebody's giving you: you are NOT ENTITLED to Free Web Comics. You are NOT ENTITLED to anything you aren't willing to compensate for (and no, "being a fan" is NOT compensation). In the grownup world if there's no consideration, there is no obligation. So go read another comic, and be happy Aeire is again posting. She doesn' t HAVE to. No matter HOW much you want it.

No one is SAYING they're entitled to it! Do you know what I'd do if she stopped updating?

Stop checking. And move on with my life.

But you have to have a sense of pride in your work and putting things up in bad updates when you promise something, is a little frustrating to your readers.

And as a writer myself, I can say yes I do owe an obligation to my fans (you know when I have some). Because without them no one would read your stuff. It's not a binding contract, but it's still a sense that you should have some sense of pride in your work and put it up on time - as circumstances allow.

Anyway, see this is why no one expresses their opinion, because people like you instantly think they're demanding and whiny. I don't think commenting on the fact how someone is annoyed by lack of updates (without any explanation) is a bad thing, unless the person is saying that it is owed to them or using foul language and say specifically mean things about the author there is no reason to get upset.

That's like jumping down someone's throat because they don't like the drawing style or noticed some errors in anatomy or writing. Constructive criticism is a part of life and I'm sure any author knows this, especially one who's been in the game as long as QoW.

Because really you think she's never gotten con crit or a bad review?

Not that I'm even giving one. I'm just expressing the fact that an opinion not completely positive, especially about lack of updates is okay to have as long as it's not abusive.

And you're jumping at me. See, point proven.
miarrow
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Disgruntled on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:18 am

Wow... didn't really expect much response to my post, it's not very active in here.

Looking back at what I posted it does sound a bit harsh, although I was a bit irritable at the time (just gave up cigs too which probably didn't help). Sorry!

Really all I wanted to say was that, well, I just find it a little disappointing when someone says they'll do something and then don't do it. It seems perhaps even more incongruous coming from someone whose webcomic is all about (it seems to me) being straight with people and not letting them down.

To those who've said Aeire has no obligation to update daily, in my mind she's created that obligation for herself by saying that's what she'll do. Money changing hands isn't the only thing that matters in this world.

Anyway, really it's no big deal, just seems a shame when it'd be so easy to change the wording and fix everything..
Disgruntled
Junior Keenspotter

Postby MaxWilder on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:02 pm

Disgruntled wrote:...in my mind she's created that obligation for herself by saying that's what she'll do. Money changing hands isn't the only thing that matters in this world.

I agree. People rely on others to do what they say they will do. It may seem unimprotant for a free webcomic, but as you can see by this conversation, price really doesn't matter as much as the principle.

At any rate, I just hope Aeire is okay and will update soon. I'm really anticipating her next project.
MaxWilder
Junior Keenspotter

Postby aeetias on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:58 pm

I just hope that Aerie is okay.
"What's wrong with selfishness and egotism? We live to die smiling, don't we?" -- Saiyuki
aeetias
Junior Keenspotter

Aerie

Postby HiFranc on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:33 am

From what she's said in her comments, I get the impression that she's just busy with the move. Her Live Journal Community may have more information, though.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SamTheUnPokeable on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:21 pm

miarrow wrote:People are allowed to show their opinions be they negative or positive, every single freaking forum I see has someone saying something in the slightest sense and they get jumped at by "loyal" fans.

Just chill unless someone is saying something abusive.

Yeah it is a little tiring, because it's not drawing the comic completely it's updating the commentary. I'm personally getting a little twerked with it, although I am not the type of person to go on a board and say that.

Because people jump at you for expressing your opinions.

So don't get all "OH WEBCOMICS ARE FREE SO THEY CAN HAVE AS SHODDY OF A SERVICE AS THEY WANT OMG!" on us, because really they don't. And not that I am going to go to the point where I'll complain, because it is free and people have lives (even though commentary, not comic - but I am not aware about how the updating system works, so maybe she can only do one or two in advance and not just write up all of them).

But people will have their opinions as you have yours. Disagree fairly and not by snapping at them and calling them selfish whiners.

Exactly. I for one am shocked that there are ANY new Keenspotters EVER. I mean with the "Heirarchy" of loyal fans shunning anyone who has dissenting opinions in comics its a wonder there are any people left posting at all.

On topic: Aeire needs to update. And if she cant, she OWES (Yes OWES) us a explination as to why not. Why? Because we keep this page up and running with our visits. If no one visits, the site would go under. So in a way we are "paying" Aerie for her services.

If it were me I would find a way to post "Life is hectic, wont be able to post for a few weeks" to the people that buy my T-shirts and merchandise. Just a thought.
SamTheUnPokeable
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TheAuldGrump on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:01 pm

At this point I am more worried about what is up than disgruntled.

I hope that everything is okay.

The Auld Grump
TheAuldGrump
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby HiFranc on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:10 am

TheAuldGrump wrote:At this point I am more worried about what is up than disgruntled.

I hope that everything is okay.

I'm beginning to worry as well.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby badkittyface on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Aerie is probably working on getting the QoW book published, don't you think? it's due to be released in June, i heard.

Disgruntled reminds me of the lady ahead of me in the BK drive-though today who held up the line for five minutes while she yelled for dipping sauce and "EXTRA pickles! get it right!!" both need a good kick in the pooter. thank you, drive through!
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ravenlock on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:24 am

badkittyface wrote:Aerie is probably working on getting the QoW book published, don't you think? it's due to be released in June, i heard.

Disgruntled reminds me of the lady ahead of me in the BK drive-though today who held up the line for five minutes while she yelled for dipping sauce and "EXTRA pickles! get it right!!" both need a good kick in the pooter. thank you, drive through!

Maybe she is and maybe she isn't, but either way it's now been more than a month since the main page had any sort of update. The lack of rerun comics and commentary is, IMO, much less troubling than the fact that there hasn't even been a news update. No change to the banner text at the top, no "hey, I'm busy", no "here's what's up", not even a "can't talk about it, but I'll be back someday."

It would take less time than it took me to type this to put up something to at least let her readers know she's still around. That she hasn't done so either smacks of irresponsibility - which I wouldn't want to think would be the case - or trouble (which obviously I also wouldn't want to be true).

I hope we'll at least find out soon. I haven't posted on the forums before now, but I've been reading QoW for well over a year and it doesn't seem like Aeire to leave everybody hanging this long.

As for the "owed" argument, no, Aeire doesn't owe anyone comics. An artist doesn't owe any scheduled product or communication to a non-paying audience. That audience, likewise, does not owe the artist attendance or popularity, and the obvious consequence of not producing or communicating, in the long run, is that your audience goes away.
Ravenlock
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Fleurdelys on Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:28 am

Ravenlock wrote:That audience, likewise, does not owe the artist attendance or popularity, and the obvious consequence of not producing or communicating, in the long run, is that your audience goes away.

Absolutely true. And I think she realizes that, she has better experience than to think otherwise. You know the consequences of your actings.

Oh come on :D we're a bunch of suckers for good webcomics, you know we'll all jump on the new comic when it comes out, if it does. Everyone forgives, and she'll make it up for it. Act like her and move on with your lives, people.
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Queen of Wands