Jocasta (18th Jan 2006/28th Jun 2004)

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Jocasta (18th Jan 2006/28th Jun 2004)

Postby HiFranc on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:47 am

Why is Jocasta such a scary thing?

A google of the name says she was a heroine in Greek mythology. I'm lost.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby almogv on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:58 pm

She wasn't exactly a heroine. She's in Oedipus, a tradgedy, she is his wife/mother. I believe she commits suicide in the end.
almogv
Keenspotter Supreme

Thank you

Postby HiFranc on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:02 am

Thank you for the explanation.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DaFlipp on Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:17 am

Probably the original author of this thread will never see this, but the Theatre major in me demands this have further explanation...

It's not the fact that she committed suicide that makes the comic make sense. Here's the relevant parts of the plot of Oedipus Rex... I guess SPOILERS for those who actually haven't seen/read what many consider the pinnacle of ancient drama (not my opinion, but Aristotle freaking loved it).

Oedipus was king of Thebes. He came to be King because he ran away from his home kingdom, due to a prophecy that he would sleep with his mother and kill his father. On his journey running away from home, he came across a man who he got into a fight with and killed. When he reached Thebes, they were being terrorized by the Sphinx; Oedipus answered the Sphinx's riddle, which made it go away. The townspeople rejoiced, and proclaimed Oedipus their king - after all, THEIR king had been killed recently by bandits. He married Jocasta, the former king's wife, and all was well.

Except for when pestilence hit the land. Why? Because of the horrendous sins of one of Thebes townsfolk. Oedipus seeks out the sinner, and in the process finds out two facts that screw him over big time. (A) The man he killed on the way to Thebes was the king of Thebes. (B) The parents he fled in his "home" town weren't his biological parents; he was, in fact, born to the King of Thebes and Jocasta. So, yes, he's been sleeping with his mother and has killed his father.

When all this comes out, Jocasta kills herself and - finally, the relevant portion for the webcomic - Oedipus gouges his eyes out!

So, yes, this is how theatre history can make webcomics fun and exciting.
DaFlipp
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby HiFranc on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:20 pm

DaFlipp wrote:Probably the original author of this thread will never see this, but the Theatre major in me demands this have further explanation...

[...]

When all this comes out, Jocasta kills herself and - finally, the relevant portion for the webcomic - Oedipus gouges his eyes out!

So, yes, this is how theatre history can make webcomics fun and exciting.

You may be surprised who's still reading this forum. :wink:

Thank you for the explanation.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby chaosite[i] on Fri May 26, 2006 10:12 am

As Tom Lehrer said... No one can contest the fact that Oedipus really loved his mother. ^__^

DaFlipp wrote:(not my opinion, but Aristotle freaking loved it).

Aristotle? Socrates? Plato? Morons!
chaosite[i]
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Dark_T_Zeratul on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm

Interesting story: I met someone in World of Warcraft once whose character was named Jocasta. Naturally, I asked her why she'd name herself after a woman who slept with her son and then hanged herself. She responded that she had no idea what I was talking about, and that she had named her character after the librarian in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

There is something horribly wrong with today's youth.
Dark_T_Zeratul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:27 pm

Did you taunt her mercelessly after that?
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Return to Queen of Wands