Stores for Babysitting

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Stores for Babysitting

Postby NaharaVensar on Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:42 pm

This comic or depending when you read this Wednesday so reminds me when I used to volunteer at my middle of nowhere town library. I swear there was always 50 kids there all day until I closed and their parents were no where to be found. And when they caused me issue I would remove them from the library and the parents complained at me. I simply had to tell them unless they were going to pay me to babysit, it wasn' t my job.

I have no idea why parents think that's 'okay'. It drives me crazy.
I am my mother's true heir, I know things I should not, I remember things that never existed in my world. There is one thing I am lacking...I haven't much of a temper

Varli of the Vensari, The Great Bard and Prophet
My Stories.
NaharaVensar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:28 am

I think it has something to do with the flux of hormones from being pregnant, plus the stress of having a child, kills off most of the braincells.

Have seen numerous signs about how 'Unattended Children will be sold into Slavery."

However, found one place that went a step further. Find an unattended child. Ask them if they would 'like to play dress up'. Costumes vary, but 'homeless waif' works well. Take a picture. Blow picture up to poster size, and post under a sign reading 'My parents are neglectful.'

If the parent would like the poster removed, take a picture of teh parent, blow up to poster size, and leave under a sign reading 'Learning my lesson' for one week.

Apparently it's highly effective. Espically if Social Services is called for repete offenders.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby NaharaVensar on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:20 am

Well I don't work there anymore. And the problem with a small town is you can't call the cops or the officals, most of the time they don't care. Cause its a small town. Unless you've lived in a itty bitty town of less than 500 people its hard to express how much people hate outside interference even if its bringing something good.

Though those ideas are very classic and great. Mostly I resorted my endless pool of sarcasm which really didn't stop them but I did feel better.
I am my mother's true heir, I know things I should not, I remember things that never existed in my world. There is one thing I am lacking...I haven't much of a temper

Varli of the Vensari, The Great Bard and Prophet
My Stories.
NaharaVensar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby HiFranc on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:09 pm

bloodeye wrote:I think it has something to do with the flux of hormones from being pregnant, plus the stress of having a child, kills off most of the braincells.

I think, in all fairness, it probably has a lot to do with society's expectation that a non-working parent is a layabout, etc. Parents have to live up to this impossible ideal of having a career and being there for their children that they just feel overwhelmed.

I'm not saying that it's an excuse but it probably counts a little in mitagation. However, lots of parents manage to bring up their children without leaving them in shops so maybe there should be some guidance on offer on how to supervise children and shop effectively.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Freemage on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:47 pm

I'd buy that if it wasn't so easy to get around. You have ten parents, each bringing their spawn in to be entertained in a 'safe environment'. Why not split the duties? Watching two children in a library or toy store isn't really that much more difficult than watching one. So you and a friend go shopping at the same time, and take turns hitting the stores (or, if it's a really good friend, you work out who wants what, and one person does all the buying). Even single parents can pull this one off.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby bloodeye on Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:59 am

No, quite familiar with small town attitudes. Try to forget them, but keeps not working. But do agree that biting scarcam tends to help, not in the root of the problem, but in feeling better about it yourself.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Return to Queen of Wands