February 18: I'm sure I've seen that before...

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

February 18: I'm sure I've seen that before...

Postby Bo Lindbergh on Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:37 am

Aha, here it is! :D
Bo Lindbergh
Keenspot Despot

Postby yalborap on Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:46 am

NOOOO!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THE APPLE! GET A DELL DJ!!!!!

she's....gone....
yalborap
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: behind your eyeballs, about to rip them out and escape your tiny brain

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:37 am

What?

Don't make me sound like a black lady telling you about how Linux is inferior to Windows.

I will, seriously, start to convulse and start puking.

Mac OS X is a step backwards, althought it is a step forward for Mac OS. NeXT should have died in '95. It's a dead end for the Mac community, and the thirty plus years of development means nothing when most of it has been in stagnation.

BeOS 4ever Yo!
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Guairdean on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:05 am

Let the holy wars begin! I've always been amazed at the fierce battles between MAC and PC users. The old days of 8080 vs 6502 (My KIM-1 was outdated quickly and my lowly F-8 never stood a chance) helped draw the battle lines and things have been going downhill since then. Altair vs IMSAI, SS-50 vs SS-100, Commodore vs Atari (a really strange fight), and now PC vs MAC. They're all tools. Each with strengths and weaknesses. Don't use a hammer to tighten a bolt, don't use a crescent wrench to drive a nail. The MAC Mini may be the greatest leap in home computing since the modem. The average consumer wants a computer that is as reliable and easy to use as a toaster. No PC has ever achieved this "user friendly" level. Do I own a MAC? No, they've been too pricey in the past. What will I buy next? A MAC Mini.
The heart can perceive that which the mind cannot comprehend.
Guairdean
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby varza on Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:58 pm

i have owned both and broken both many a times... i don't care what it is, the less it breaks the better... nevermind, just give me a pencil and paper
emitting lethal waves of stupidity...
varza
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:46 am

Guairdean wrote:They're all tools. Each with strengths and weaknesses. Don't use a hammer to tighten a bolt, don't use a crescent wrench to drive a nail. The MAC Mini may be the greatest leap in home computing since the modem. The average consumer wants a computer that is as reliable and easy to use as a toaster. No PC has ever achieved this "user friendly" level. Do I own a MAC? No, they've been too pricey in the past. What will I buy next? A MAC Mini.

They are tools this is true, but that's not going to stop me from criticizing one or the other when they make stupid decisions. (And alternatively praising something that actually is a good product.)

I actually was a Mac fan until they switched to OS X. It's just a cobbled together version of Unix. There is nothing innovative about it. They just now caught up to where Windows has been for years, and the interface is horrible. I really like the PPC hardware that they use, but I can't stand the OS choices. The last OS that I really like was BeOS. I really miss that little OS. :(

I don't like the execution of the Mac Mini. I think they should made it a killer little workstation. Leave the Powers as dual workstations, the iMac as the cute one for women, and the Mini as stripped and pumped instead of using leftover laptop parts. PPC970, 512MB RAM, with a dual head DVI video card, Gig net, and a surround sound output. I would have seriously drooled over one if it had those specs, but Apple's not interested in being competitive.

I think there is a real lack of innovation in the PC industry right now, and it annoys me. The biggest thing coming down the pipe is dual cores. Nothing about fixing the archiac BIOS, optimizing for the way PCs are actually used now, or improving the UI in the OS. Everyone is sticking with the same played out ideas. PCs could readh the UI level of a toaster, but it would require a total rethink of the way things are. I'm talking about scaling a Palm or Windows Mobile Device into a full fledged computer. It could be done, but no one is going to do it.

I could go on, but this really isn't the place.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Slave on Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:45 am

Guairdean wrote:They're all tools.

Are you talking about the machines, or the people who argue over them?
"The most casually disturbed person I know" - CrusherJoe

"you're one big walking mindscar." - Synfony
Slave
Keenspot Despot

Postby Starman Matt on Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:19 am

*slaps himself like Seamus*

Bad, bad man! You are a bad, bad man!
Starman Matt
Keenspotter Supreme

OS's

Postby HiFranc on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:27 am

I've got OS X 10.3.8 and I like it.

However, if you want something that is reliable, stable, good GUI, fast processor (for its day), etc. then I recommend the Acorn Archemedies. However, very few people outside the UK would recognise that name. The company went bust a few years ago -- great computer, bad marketing department.

Anyway, I've seen enough computer wars, even as a participant, to be truly passionate about any one computer over another. All computers have their plus sides and their flaws.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: OS's

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:10 pm

HiFranc wrote:However, if you want something that is reliable, stable, good GUI, fast processor (for its day), etc. then I recommend the Acorn Archemedies.

Aren't they the ones who designed the ARM processors?

I think they were bought up by Intel which is where they got the StrongARM and XScale processors from.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Re: OS's

Postby HiFranc on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:30 pm

Ambystoma4 wrote:
HiFranc wrote:However, if you want something that is reliable, stable, good GUI, fast processor (for its day), etc. then I recommend the Acorn Archemedies.

Aren't they the ones who designed the ARM processors?

The very same.

I think they were bought up by Intel which is where they got the StrongARM and XScale processors from.

I'm not too hot on what's happen since to them. However, I think I read somewhere that when they went bust they were split into two companies.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:23 pm

I was reading something about the history of the microprocessor, and they were mentioned. It didn't say if they went bankrupt or not; just that Intel bought them to replace it's line of RISC processors.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby GabrielTane on Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:09 pm

Starman Matt wrote:*slaps himself like Seamus*

Bad, bad man! You are a bad, bad man!

Thank you. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't forget about the strip as soon as PC vs Mac came up. I've never read GPF, so this joke was quite new to me. I still stand my first reaction: "holy s*** Aeire, that was freakin' wrong!"

Great laugh out of it tho. :)
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby yalborap on Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:50 pm

it's odd to see so many mac-ites. it doesn't help that I've had the windows: secret noncrashing edition for a long time and hence haven't experienced any problems with my precious computer.
yalborap
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: behind your eyeballs, about to rip them out and escape your tiny brain

Postby dqbiggerfam on Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:05 pm

While I ahve not had this version of windwos myself, ME (a precurser(sp?) attemt for 2k, before the switch to NT tech) was REALLY buggy and was teh ony vesrion of windws ACTUALLY apologized for. While I have not(neither has my mom) had porblems wiht win 9x, others have if they went for upgraes and had driver issues.
dqbiggerfam
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:58 am

Win98 isn't bad. I've sucessfully run labs full of the suckers before.
It's just kind of fragile compared to 2k and XP, but then it's easier to fix when something goes horribly wrong.

And the strip was funny.
Very good use of irony.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

The strip itself

Postby HiFranc on Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:53 am

I like the way Aeire chose a short sales assistant so the regs wondered if that was Angela...

Ps.
Why I said Acorn'd gone bust
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:52 pm

What I'm going off of.

[Link]"ARM is born
In 1983, Acorn Computers Ltd. was looking for a processor. Some say that Acorn was refused access to Intel's upcoming 80286 chip, others say that Acorn rejected both the Intel 286 and the Motorola MC 68000 as being not powerful enough. In any case, the company decided to develop its own processor called the Acorn RISC Machine, or ARM. The company had development samples, known as the ARM I by 1985; production models (ARM II) were ready by the following year. The original ARM chip contained only 30,000 transistors.

Where are they now?
Acorn Computers was taken over by Olivetti in 1985, and after a few more shakeups, was purchased by Broadcom in 2000.

However, the company's ARM architecture today accounts for approximately 75% of all 32-bit embedded processors. The most successful implementation has been the ARM7TDMI with hundreds of millions sold in cellular phones. The Digital/ARM combo StrongARM is the basis for the Intel XScale processor. "
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby GabrielTane on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:41 am

Ambystoma4 wrote: However, the company's ARM architecture today accounts for approximately 75% of all 32-bit embedded processors. The most successful implementation has been the ARM7TDMI with hundreds of millions sold in cellular phones. The Digital/ARM combo StrongARM is the basis for the Intel XScale processor. "

Now that you mention it... I seem to remember StrongARM from something... somewhere. I have no idea what, but I get this impression that it's supposed to be familiar somehow. Meh.
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:36 pm

Most Palms, PocketPCs, and various other things, like my broadband router, run on some version of them.
Arm, StrongARM, XScale.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby GabrielTane on Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:09 pm

Ambystoma4 wrote:Most Palms, PocketPCs, and various other things, like my broadband router, run on some version of them.
Arm, StrongARM, XScale.

That's what it was! it was a program type for my pocket PC. thanks. now i won't be wondering about that for the rest of the day. :)
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Queen of Wands