Speaking of stupid people..

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Speaking of stupid people..

Postby Gerbie on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:19 pm

I had me an idea. Something I would definitely buy, if Aeire decided to make it available, would be a poster-sized print of the "By your powers combined" panel of the Darwineers strip with the full strip printed in one of the bottom corners, beside Mr. Darwin's legs.

Maybe even extra large poster size.. to cover my door.

I'd buy that.
Sailing on the seas of life under full sails, with no one at the helm.
Gerbie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby PixelHawk on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:24 pm

Heh, I would go for one if it was of the Chainsaw of Natural Selection. :lol:
Never piss off a woman who knows how to use power tools
PixelHawk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gerbie on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:27 pm

Either way.. but I think it would look better overall the way I described it.

I'd even buy a poster-sized print of the strip as is, hehe.
Gerbie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:32 am

If you take the image to kinkos they can print it however big you want it.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby HiFranc on Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:59 am

Ambystoma4 wrote:If you take the image to kinkos they can print it however big you want it.

Subject to Aeire giving copyright permission I would assume.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby GabrielTane on Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:24 am

I'ma thinkin; "t-shirt". hehehe. A chainsaw of natural selection t-shirt. hell yeah!
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:56 pm

HiFranc wrote:Subject to Aeire giving copyright permission I would assume.

If it's just for personal use then I really doubt she would have a problem with that. I've know people who made t-shirts of their favorite band for their own use before. In fact bands have posted stuff you can take to a printer to make promotional stuff, t-shirts, etc. with the tag that the stuff is provided only for non-commercial use.

Now if Gerbie was going to sell then then that would be different. Of course you should probably email her asking about it anyway.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby bananas_in_hotpants on Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:15 pm

Isn't it ok unless you make money off the copyrighted thing or give it to other people? But then again, I'm not that experienced in law. I could easily, (and probably) be wrong.
The bananas got bored of pajamas.
bananas_in_hotpants
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Fleurdelys on Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:40 pm

Copyright n.: The right of an author or his assignee, under statute, to print and publish his literary or artistic work, exclusively of all other persons. This right may be had in maps, charts, engravings, plays, and musical compositions, as well as in books.

Even for private use, with or without money, I would ask her. In the best of cases, if everyone does, she'll make the product available herself, and you'll have given her ideas to get a little profit out of it. I doubt she'd sue you if she saw you with a tshirt made by yourself, but if I was an author, I'd like to know. If only as compliment.
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:42 pm

bananas_in_hotpants wrote:Isn't it ok unless you make money off the copyrighted thing or give it to other people?

Pretty much.

There were people who were making T-Shirts with Morrissy lyrics on them and giving them away which was perfectly legal. Although I don't understand why it rated a new blurb in a magazine.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Copyright

Postby HiFranc on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:25 am

It depends on the individual person.

Actually, it doesn't matter whether you make money or not. Technically I could sue you if copied this post without my permission. However, it'd cost me hundreds (if not thousands) or pounds to bring you to court and I'd probably only get
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:29 pm

These are the standards for fair use in the US. As an interesting bit of knowledge I found out that anything published on say, a personal website, automatically becomes copywrited.

The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes -- Courts are more likely to find fair use where the use is for noncommercial purposes.

The nature of the copyrighted work -- A particular use is more likely to be fair where the copied work is factual rather than creative.

The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole -- A court will balance this factor toward a finding of fair use where the amount taken is small or insignificant in proportion to the overall work.

The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work -- If the court finds the newly created work is not a substitute product for the copyrighted work, it will be more likely to weigh this factor in favor of fair use.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gerbie on Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:40 pm

Ambystoma4 wrote:
HiFranc wrote:Subject to Aeire giving copyright permission I would assume.

If it's just for personal use then I really doubt she would have a problem with that. I've know people who made t-shirts of their favorite band for their own use before. In fact bands have posted stuff you can take to a printer to make promotional stuff, t-shirts, etc. with the tag that the stuff is provided only for non-commercial use.

Now if Gerbie was going to sell then then that would be different. Of course you should probably email her asking about it anyway.

Or I'd make a post suggesting another way for Aeire to make a little bit of money from all the effort she's put into the comic. And another way for us to show her our support by throwing money at her in exchange for what I'd say is a damn nice poster. And making it a post instead of an email gives y'all a chance to tell Aeire "hey, this Gerbie kid has a pretty decent idea, you should really go for it."

Ahhh dammit.. look what you did. I was all considerate and constructive again.. I really need to stop that. :P
Gerbie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:07 pm

I can see where you're going.

I was just thinking if you were going to go ahead and print one on your own you might want to email her since she will probably respond to that more readily then a post on this forum.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Fair use

Postby HiFranc on Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:56 am

We don't have "fair use" in Britain when it comes to copyright. That's why I'm glad the iTunes contract specifically says that you are allowed to make x number of copies otherwise copying just once is breaking the law.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby communist trees on Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:29 am

Well, ignoring the whole copyright debate, I'd just like to say that if Aerie put such a poster up for sale, I'd try to scrape together the money to buy one, because I'd definately want one.
Oh no! My avatar got eaten... *sigh* R.I.P., avatar...
communist trees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ambystoma4 on Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:32 pm

It is a good idea.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby GabrielTane on Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:05 am

I don't know why I didnt think about this until now...

A friend of mine wanted to make a t-shirt using an image from a web com. She told the artist what image she wanted to use, in what way, and for whom. The artist had absolutly no problem with it... "Hell yeah!" i believe, was the actual answer from the artist.

Point being: ask. The worst Aeire can do is say no.
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Queen of Wands