QoW Update - comic for 1/12

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

QoW Update - comic for 1/12

Postby Aeire on Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:06 pm

Is now up
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Interesting

Postby FearlessWillow on Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 pm

I thought it was childish of Angela just to sign of ..

hindsights a bitch eh?

Funny no one expected a power outage. WHAT a convenient time. But I've had my power / comp die at the most convenient times also.

Way to do real life.
FearlessWillow
Junior Keenspotter

Postby comicsgoose on Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:43 pm

hey, im a long time reader of QoW, but ive never posted on this forum before. you can probably guess im a frequenter of keenspot though, mainly just sinfest.

anyway, this comic was fantastic. one of my favorite so far. her power went out. thats a hell of a plot twist, honestly.

lovely work, Aeire, hopefully, itll stay around forever. kudos
"A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a Smoke."
Rudyard Kipling
comicsgoose
Keenspot Despot

Location: The one gin joint in the one town in all the world I had to walk in to ...

Postby nothings on Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:01 pm

I'm disappointed the last two comics so closely parallel the pair starting here:
http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20040825.html

Obviously the story is totally different, but they still use the same plot beat of someone being "hung up on" for a different reason than it appears, leaving the readers "on the hook" or at least on tenterhooks due to misinformation.

Since this is my first post and I'm griping, let me add that I thinkg QoW is super-awesome and I generally enjoy the plot and the art and the whole lightning-lots-of-words thing. Yay.
nothings
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Flameoftheabyss on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:48 pm

Hillarious. I like this strip. :lol:
Flameoftheabyss
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ZotKitty on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:51 am

Um... when your power goes out you still have phone service, usually. And even if her landline is cordless and therefore power-dependent, Angela strikes me as the type to own a cell phone.

And if I had a power outage in the midst of an emotionally intense online conversation, I'd certainly call the other person IMMEDIATELY. Unless of course I was glad of the excuse.
ZotKitty
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Flameoftheabyss on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:11 am

... or she expected Kestrel to come over anyway... :lol:
Flameoftheabyss
Keenspotter Supreme

Welcome

Postby HiFranc on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:13 am

Welcome to QoW and its forums, comicsgoose and nothings.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

speculation

Postby HiFranc on Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:15 am

flame, that's an interesting idea.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Guairdean on Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:03 am

Angela may have been using the time to gather her thoughts since she was just blindsided with the news that Kestrel knows about her feelings. The real question is: "What is Kestrel about to discover about herself?" She knows Angela's feelings, does she know her own?
The heart can perceive that which the mind cannot comprehend.
Guairdean
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:17 am

I wish I could say I saw this comming.... but nope, was susprised. Figured somethign was up, but as simple as a power outage didn't occur to me. Though have to admit, the timeing of it was fairly suggestive, a fact can only hope Angela is aware of.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Auburn_Vixn on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:30 am

nothings wrote:I'm disappointed the last two comics so closely parallel the pair starting here:
http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20040825.html
Obviously the story is totally different, but they still use the same plot beat of someone being "hung up on" for a different reason than it appears, leaving the readers "on the hook" or at least on tenterhooks due to misinformation.

Hmmm... I thought Shannon did hang up on Angela on purpose. I don't think she ever denied it when they talked in the hospital, and she was certainly PO'd at Angela's immaturity.

At any rate, I don't think the two story plots that much alike--except they both have to do with misunderstanding--and lets face it, misunderstandings happen all the time in relationships. :) I think Aeire does a fantastic job of showing that.

I think the past few comics were extremely clever actually--love this last one. It's nice to see Angela be the one who's right for once, too--rather than just a "brat." :)

ZotKitty wrote:Um... when your power goes out you still have phone service, usually. And even if her landline is cordless and therefore power-dependent, Angela strikes me as the type to own a cell phone.

And if I had a power outage in the midst of an emotionally intense online conversation, I'd certainly call the other person IMMEDIATELY. Unless of course I was glad of the excuse..

I've had outtages where the phones did die too--usually in nasty snow or rain storms. Of course, Kestrel probably rushed over before Angela even had a chance to call (Angela was probably tinkering with the fuse after her power died--that's probably what I'd do--even if I was in the middle of an intense IM).

If Kestrel goes home, and Shannon says that Angela called, we'll know. :)
Auburn_Vixn
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby gwalihir on Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:03 pm

<< Obviously the story is totally different, but they still use the same plot beat
gwalihir
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GabrielTane on Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:34 pm

ZotKitty wrote:Um... when your power goes out you still have phone service, usually. And even if her landline is cordless and therefore power-dependent, Angela strikes me as the type to own a cell phone.

And if I had a power outage in the midst of an emotionally intense online conversation, I'd certainly call the other person IMMEDIATELY. Unless of course I was glad of the excuse.

That is the right thing to do... but how many times have we all reacted to stress (especially emotional stress) in a way that we later thouht was stupid or childish? Gods know I have. Hell, after making the hour drive back from my (at the time) recent ex's house at 2am while knowing she wasn't going to be home and knowing that even if she was, I'd have no idea of what I'd say... yeah, I felt sick at myself for it. After thought about it later, I truly never felt more disgusted at myself.

Point being: Yeah, Angela could have called Kes... but maybe she didn't know what to say or was lost in thought the whole time... or any number of things that distracted her from the 'right thing'.

I'm sure it'll be addressed in the up-coming conversation.
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:23 pm

ZotKitty wrote:And if I had a power outage in the midst of an emotionally intense online conversation, I'd certainly call the other person IMMEDIATELY. Unless of course I was glad of the excuse.

Yeah, that's what I would have done -- unless of course I was glad of the excuse!
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Flameoftheabyss on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:40 pm

[quote="gwalihir"]<< Angela may have been using the time to gather her thoughts
Flameoftheabyss
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Vlegeltje on Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:08 am

Kestrel could have politely knocked the door and be patient and everything. Why is she s
Vlegeltje
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Flameoftheabyss on Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:27 am

Well, Kestrel is impulsive. :)
Flameoftheabyss
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Thenodrin on Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:55 am

A lot of people are saying that Angela should have phoned Kestrel.

Why shouldn't Kestrel have phoned Angela???

And, if Angela has a land line and a cordless phone, the power being out would prevent the phone from working. Cordless phones need power to work.

My best friend works in assisted living, and he carries a phone in his car because some of the consumers don't have anything but cordless phones in their homes.

Theno
Thenodrin
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GabrielTane on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:06 pm

[quote="Vlegeltje"]Kestrel could have politely knocked the door and be patient and everything. Why is she s
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:28 pm

[quote="Vlegeltje"]Kestrel could have politely knocked the door and be patient and everything. Why is she s
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby taibhse on Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:59 am

Um...is it just me

or does this whole strip sound like the oldest trick in the book.
along teh lines of

oh crap my car ran out of gas...next to this motel 6

oh know the power is out I better light these candles

prolly not but, eh whatever
taibhse
Junior Keenspotter

Welcome and comment

Postby HiFranc on Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:05 am

Welcome to QoW and its forum, taibhse.

The timing does seem a little opportune but you never know -- this is fiction land and, as Terry Pratchett put it, million to one chances happen 9 times out of 10.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Flameoftheabyss on Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:32 am

... because if it didn't, we'd have a dull comic. :)
Flameoftheabyss
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Welcome and comment

Postby GabrielTane on Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:33 am

HiFranc wrote:Welcome to QoW and its forum, taibhse.

The timing does seem a little opportune but you never know -- this is fiction land and, as Terry Pratchett put it, million to one chances happen 9 times out of 10.

million to one chances....

I like that. Thank you Mr. Pratchett. Heh.

Truthfully, on the topic of 'how convenient'... a fiction kinda has to be convenient. If a this comic just drudged along at the real pace of everyday life, it'd be more boring than Seinfeld (sp) or Friends. Real life doesn't (always) have the convenient plot twists and coincidences that fiction does. That's what makes fiction an enjoyment... it's very departure from reality.

{edit} .... which, after posting this, I realized is just a more-wordy way of saying exactly what Flameoftheabyss just said. Meh.
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Queen of Wands