QoW Update - comic for 1/10

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

QoW Update - comic for 1/10

Postby Aeire on Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:42 pm

Is now up
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Confronting online?

Postby gwalihir on Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:09 am

...Seems to me that Kestrel has made a tactical error here. She is probably upset by what she has heard and isn't thinking clearly: but if she thinks about how upset she was when Adam broke up with her online, she might realize that confronting someone about such an emotional subject online is just as touchy.

She would have done better to speak to Angela face to face. Of course, A) the implication is that she hasn't managed to run into Angela casually, and B) people don't always think clearly enough to do what's best.

Very human: very understandable. I see heartache ahead...
gwalihir
Keenspotter Supreme

Any doubts left?

Postby gwalihir on Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:29 am

Actually, the more significant point of the strip would be Angela's evasion, even to the point of logging out rather than giving a straight answer.

If anyone doubted Seamus' assertion before, can they still doubt it now?

I don't see how...
gwalihir
Keenspotter Supreme

Agreement

Postby HiFranc on Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:56 am

She's more or less admitted that she suspects what Seamus told Kestral.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby bloodeye on Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:53 am

Well, Kestral told her what Seamus told her, though not the specific terms used.... but yeah, this could get very intresting, very quick.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:26 am

Ooooh, that was harsh of her.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Fleurdelys on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:07 am

One thing I've learned about having a penpal over IM for over a year.

Fights over IM are BAD. BAD BAD BAD. No tone, no non-verbal messages, no irony. Just letters, and things said that wouldn't hurt is they were said face to face, because "I'm kidding!" doesn't work on IM. What you say is there, and there is no telling if it is the truth or not. It's the easiest way to lie.

Face to face. Or the phone, at least. Noooooo important discussions on IM. Remember. Bad.
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aerinha on Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:43 am

Apparently, Kestrel hasn't had any luck seeing her in person to ask. (Plus this being an IM conversation gives the option for someone to just log out rather than storm out or finish the conversation; more drama later for sure.)

I think perhaps Seamus was correct. Drunk to the point of saying what he may not have said sober, but correct.

Who is it that has been objecting the strongest and feeling most abandoned by Kestrel's move plans?

~edit~and oh, yes. It may not have been a "girl" game so much, but that was a calculated dodge to that question.
Aerinha
Junior Keenspotter

Postby rukh03 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:51 am

Fleurdelys wrote:Fights over IM are BAD.

Yes, YES. I very strongly agree. While we we're still dating, my wife and I would IM each other when I was at college, in a different state. I found out later, how many times I hurt her feelings, because I couldn't see her face, (and stop to find out what I said wrong) or she couldn't see mine. (to see what meaning/mood I was saying things in) Phone was a little better, (tone of voice) but face-to-face is always best.

That said, I realize that Kestral prob. couldn't find Angela to talk to in person. I also think that it was prob. Angela who desided that IM would be the best way to communicate, it being the, seemingly, least vulnerable way to talk to someone. It's easy to hide online.

And that also said, OMG the suspense! What a great story arc!
Yay Aeire!
rukh03
Junior Keenspotter

Lying and emotions

Postby HiFranc on Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:02 am

As far as telling whether someone is joking or being serious, IM/text is very bad.

However, tests have shown that text only (or hearing a person's voice) is better at weeding out liars than face to face confrontations. The reason being that good liars are very good at visually masking their lies.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Crysania on Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:21 pm

rukh03 wrote:
Fleurdelys wrote:Fights over IM are BAD.

Yes, YES. I very strongly agree. While we we're still dating, my wife and I would IM each other when I was at college, in a different state. I found out later, how many times I hurt her feelings, because I couldn't see her face, (and stop to find out what I said wrong) or she couldn't see mine. (to see what meaning/mood I was saying things in) Phone was a little better, (tone of voice) but face-to-face is always best.

Heh, I was in the same situation in college. I have a habit of saving old chats, too, and after recently reading through some old ones, I got annoyed with my (now) husband all over again! :P Online chat is definitely not the best medium for serious conversation.

Recent QOW addict here. :D
Keenspot Favorites: Dominic Deegan, El Goonish Shive, Queen Of Wands, Suburban Jungle

"I don't care what you do for a living. If you love it, you are a success." ~ George Burns
Crysania
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Guairdean on Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:05 pm

I can understand both sides. Kestrel wants to know what's going on, and probably doesn't want the situation to be a barrier to their friendship. Angela doesn't want to be hurt again. A face to face meeting might have made it worse, at that point there's no way to hide the tears.
The heart can perceive that which the mind cannot comprehend.
Guairdean
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby sirrus on Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:20 pm

Keep in mind we don't know how Kestrel feels about all of this. The longer the wait is to see Angela, the more confused her feelings will be. She could be on the verge of a huge mistake...
sirrus
Junior Keenspotter

Postby GabrielTane on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:34 pm

sirrus wrote:Keep in mind we don't know how Kestrel feels about all of this. The longer the wait is to see Angela, the more confused her feelings will be. She could be on the verge of a huge mistake...

Very good point. The only reaction we've seen from Kes is anger. Anger at Seamus telling her and anger at Angela disconnecting from the conversation. Maybe she's reacting with anger because she doesn't know how she feels about it yet. It's unclear wether or not she's had a chance to sit and think about it. Just guessin' here

Welcome, Sirrus. BTW, is your name a Myst reference?
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:56 pm

I've found I can screw things up more effectively in person then over IM. There's a lag time that allows of editing.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Calisto on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:09 pm

My husband and I have had some of our best 'discussions' over MSN while sitting 2 feet away from each other. For us, it's easier to say things and keep from blowing up into a whole emotionally outburst that doesn't resolve anything. I'm not saying that talking online is the best way for everyone to resolving everything, but if it works, go for it
Calisto
Keenspotter Supreme

Welcome

Postby HiFranc on Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:46 pm

Welcome to QoW and its forum, sirrus.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Whoops!

Postby HiFranc on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:07 pm

Just realised that the thing about text unmasking a lie was based on a transcription on what someone said.

<< needs to upgrade CPU a lot :-( :oops:
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby sirrus on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:15 pm

I have no idea where the name came from,had it sonce my early teens for different uses...

Thanks for the greetings!
sirrus
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Queen of Wands