QoW Update - comic for 1/03

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Postby Flameoftheabyss on Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:00 am

Poor Angela. I've been involved in a situation similar to this story arc, and the person hurt most was the one who loved that which he/she could not have. Sad, really. :-?
Flameoftheabyss
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GabrielTane on Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:09 pm

Flameoftheabyss wrote:Poor Angela. I've been involved in a situation similar to this story arc, and the person hurt most was the one who loved that which he/she could not have. Sad, really. :-?

Blegh. Story of my freakin' life. But I also know that it puts the object of that desire in a very uncomfortable position... unless they are completely heartless person and just don't care. I know Kes is a very (almost too) caring person. She's going to be beating herself up trying to figure out how to work all of this out without hurting everyone.

Welcom Flameoftheabyss and ambergl, incase no one has said it yet. :)
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Irish Witch on Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:22 am

Ok. Need I remind people about this section of the script:

http://queenofwands.keenspot.com/d/20040719.html

Clearly Angela is supressing certain feelings about this. I wouldn't be suprised if it was interfering with her relationship with seamus. Hell I wouldn't be suprised if it was the cause of her relationship with Seamus....
He's telling the truth, and I say it's decent of him for doing so!
Irish Witch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby HiFranc on Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:35 am

Irish Witch wrote:Ok. Need I remind people about this section of the script:

http://queenofwands.keenspot.com/d/20040719.html

Clearly Angela is supressing certain feelings about this. I wouldn't be suprised if it was interfering with her relationship with seamus. Hell I wouldn't be suprised if it was the cause of her relationship with Seamus....

It does read that way.

If you look at the next strip the phrase, "if she's bored, does that mean I'm boring?" tells me that, for all her protestations of being self-reliant and "free" in the entry, she links a major part of her self-esteem to how Kestral views her.

The final page is also telling.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby andustar on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:36 am

Umm, this is really odd. I had always just kinda... assumed that Angela was in love with Kestrel. I mean, that strip that Irish Witch linked to - and the two after it - she's drawn a li'l heart above her when they kiss and again, while she's quoting 'if you love someone, set them free' about why she has to let Kestrel leave...

and before that, when Angela left after kissing Kestrel and explaining polyamorous...ness? to her... I thought the sudden realisation (with the countdown?) was Kestrel realised that Angela had been hinting heavily all around that she did love her...

of course, there are different types of love, and Kestrel can't plausibly change her sexuality (happy though I'm sure Felix would be at that idea, hehe). But I'm sure there's a lot of truth in what Seamus said. I'm very interested indeed to see where Aeire takes this next...

(also, is anyone else wondering whether she'll return to this?)
andustar
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Flameoftheabyss on Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:29 am

andustar wrote:Umm, this is really odd. I had always just kinda... [i](also, is anyone else wondering whether she'll return to this?)

Uh, I think Randy of 'Something Positive' killed her with his guest strip where Choo-Choo Bear pukes Becca out. :P
Flameoftheabyss
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby gwalihir on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:52 am

I think Aeire did a great job of setting the whole thing up in the previous panels: the breakup, the discussion with the "hints" of why, yet keeping it not fully "out there."

Clearly this has been bugging Seamus for a while, and he was right not to continue a relationship that couldn't go anywhere. His timing may have been off, but that's the way life goes sometimes.

Seamus says himself that if he wasn't drunk, he probably wouldn't be telling Kestrel all this: but he is drunk, this is weighing on him, and he really is trying to make things better for two people he cares about. Maybe he isn't thinking about Kestrel leaving (does he even know? or might he forget, in his drunken state?), and maybe thinks that if she understands how Angela feels, they might have a chance at a good relationship. Anyway, he can't have Angela, and it sounds like he is doing what he can to make her happy without him. A far nobler thing than trying to hurt her for not loving him, which many guys would do.

As to Kestrel having said "no" to Angela before: people change their minds sometimes. This is months later: how much can it hurt to put it out on the table again? It's not like Kestrel is engaged or anything.

Is Seamus "right" to do this? His motivation appears to be, and isn't that what counts? And unless he or Kestrel tell Angela what was said, there is no need for her to feel uncomfortable.

Now it's on Kestrel: how does she feel about this? Given her bad luck with guys, is she ready to "see the lesbo side of Sears?" If so, she has an opening. If not, it would be far better if neither of them tell Angela that anything was said.

But at least Kestrel has a chance to respond to a situation that involves her, and that she wasn't even aware of until now. That's got to be positive in some sense: freedom to choose.

There are times when honesty is not the best policy ("does this make me look fat?"), but most of the time it is. I think this time it was.
gwalihir
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fei on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:05 am

Honestly, I'm surprised there are so many anti-Seamus posts... I mean, beyond just the whole "saying what shouldn't be said" lines of thought. In that aspect, I think he's out of line, but at the same time, by explaining his actions to Kestrel, he's probably doing a bit of justifying of his actions to her in addition to telling her. But back to my point: Think about it, Seamus is getting no real benefit from breaking up with Angela, other than leaving a woman whom he sees as seeing him as a second choice. I mean while Angela and him said they would remain friends, I think it would be a strained friendship at best, due to the reason Angela thinks they split up. And as for the friendship with Kestrel, I think that one's taken a pretty big hit too. So basically for doing what he views as right he has lost a friend, and maybe two, and is single again... I mean, that ain't too cool in my book.
Caydiem wrote:RlrlrlRLRLLRLGRLGRLGlglglglgl!

...there's no real good way to put that into text form.

In reference to the sounds Murlocs make in WoW, on the Plush Murloc Petition! thread on the WoW forums.
Fei
Keenspotter Supreme

Welcomes

Postby HiFranc on Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:25 am

Welcome to Queen of Wands and it's forum, Guairdean and rukh03.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Thanks for the welcome

Postby Guairdean on Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:45 am

This seems like an interesting group.
The heart can perceive that which the mind cannot comprehend.
Guairdean
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Amoryl on Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:46 pm

i've never once said seamus was wrong to break up with angela over the whole "second choice" thing, i objected to him dragging kestrel into it.

as for the going for kestrel again, i've found it's generally in poor taste to go back to a person you're interested in every few month to "see if they've changed their mind" and i go for the opposite sex. generally you know wich team you play for, and you're not just going to switch sides on a lark. i'd imagine i'd get as annoyed with a gay or bi friend coming back to ask "so, you gay yet?" as much as my gay friends would get pissed if i went and asked them "so, you straight yet?"

this only peripherally involves kestrel at all. she doesn't have to make her situation clear again, she doesn't have to give angela a chance, or not. she doesn't have to be expected to deal with this.

whatever seamus' motives for telling kestrel this doesn't really matter in the end, he's going to cause a lot of pain and uncomfortable situations when noone really needs them. so...if he didn't do it with malicious intent, then Bravo, seamus! you're just a retard
Just because you're bitchy and misunderstood, doesn't mean you're an artist
Amoryl
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Welcomes

Postby rukh03 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:57 am

HiFranc wrote:Welcome to Queen of Wands and it's forum, Guairdean and rukh03.

Thank-you, it's good to be here. :D

I'm no longer sure wither on not Seamus should have told Kestral. I just know that you can't be 'just friends' with someone you are in love with. It has to be brought out and dealt with (true, not always in front of the object of affection) or it will hurt, and probably end, the friendship. Which would hurt Kestral, wither she knows the reason or not.
rukh03
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Welcomes

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:13 pm

I think it's possible. At some point the realization that it's not going to happen and you need to move on has to happen. That doesn't mean that person has to be lost as a friend.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to Queen of Wands