QoW Update - comic for 1/03

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

QoW Update - comic for 1/03

Postby Aeire on Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:14 pm

Is now up
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Wow

Postby keayts on Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:46 pm

Where'd that come from?
keayts
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Aeire on Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:32 pm

Well, when an artist is a writer and loves her work very, very much...
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Postby Amoryl on Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:08 am

i hate how people will air other people's dirty laundry or dark secrets just so they'll feel better about not being "the one" and then try to justify it by claiming to be honest about it. ya know, it's not his place, or his right to tell kestrel about angela's feelings for her. it's like my gf's sisters ex-husband, after screwing her best friend he eventually tells her what he did so he could "be honest, and get it off his chest" shit like that is just bull, you want to admit crap like that so you feel better, and then ruin the happiness of the one you told. and you try to turn it into YOU being the good guy.

so now seamus has told kestrel, so she's upset, angela is going to be upset, but "honest seamus" gets to "feel better" because he "got it off his chest"

the queen of wands women are WAY too understanding of the crap the men throw on them.
Just because you're bitchy and misunderstood, doesn't mean you're an artist
Amoryl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Flameoftheabyss on Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:07 am

Oh come on, Seamus is just trying to help Angela out. Though it's not his right to expose Angela's secrets to Kestrel, i'm sure he felt that he had to, for Angela's sake. Kestrel's about to leave the town for good, which could cause Angela some distress, wouldn't you agree? Seamus felt the urgency to resolve the issue, so he did what he thought was right.
C'mon, give him credit for that. :)

Too understanding? Nah, they're just being decent and not bitchy. All my female friends are decent people (the bitchy ones I discarded long ago), and can see the other's perspective and not be self-centered and arrogant.

Of course, there're always jerks around. But i'm sure Seamus is not. I think he's of the melancholy/phlegmatic temperament, not manipulative and such, and very indecisive. :)

Anyway, I like this storyline. I have absolutely no complaints. Keep up the great work, Aeire! *waits impatiently for Wednesday's strip* :D
Flameoftheabyss
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Luneward on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:36 am

I'm not so sure if it's a 'help Angela out' so much as get it off his chest. He's drunk, and been living a lie. Would he have said all this sober? Very possibly not.

And definitely points to Aeire for starting the deadpan discussion of the birds and the bees story of comic writing. Heh.
I am merely a figment of your imagination.
Luneward
Keenspotter Supreme

Interfering

Postby HiFranc on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:40 am

One thing I've learnt in life (thankfully not the hard way) is that no matter how much you think you can help somebody by revealing something to them (or to someone else), 99 times out of 100 things will work out better if you keep your mouth shut. I suspect Seamus is about to learn that lesson.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby NaharaVensar on Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:18 am

I don't know if telling Kestral was a good idea. But it does go with Seamus' character.

He sort of does lots of things, he means well, and has completely good intentions. But somehow he always manages to do the wrong thing for the right reasons. He just doesn't seem to do well with interacting with his fellow human beings, for some reasom.
NaharaVensar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby communist trees on Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:33 am

/me wonders about whether or not this falls within the 70% of the comic that Aerie didn't make up
Oh no! My avatar got eaten... *sigh* R.I.P., avatar...
communist trees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Irish Witch on Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:45 am

I woulnd't go guessing what things aire has based on real life in case your wrong and she takes offence. Or more to the point your right and she takes offence..

*High honey, I'm home btw.. Well. For a while.. What time I haven't spent working I've spent resting so.....*

MEanwhile what seamus is doing right now seams very much in character. He has a habit of talking about things without thinking everything through properly and while it's true that it was rude of him to talk about angela's feelings I wouldn't be suprised if getting drunk was an attempt at building courage. Especially with the threats that have been made in regards to hurting Angela.

Course - theres one thing nobody's thought of: The fact that seamus might be just using this as some kind of an excuse. The info's definitely true is past comics are any judge but that doesn't mean there's another motive...
Irish Witch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby keayts on Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:18 am

The whole excuse thing was what I thought this storyline was about, 'til today's strip. That's why I was thrown for a loop, it was as if this strip came out of nowhere - we weren't exactly filled in with hints that the "other girl" stuff was happening in Seamus/Angela's relationship. Of course, this lends credence to the idea that Seamus has an evil motive behind saying this to Kestrel, but he doens't seem like that kinda guy.

Personally, I prefer being upfront and honest about everything, since as I see it, the person who I'm being honest with is responsible for how they take it, not me.
keayts
Junior Keenspotter

Postby communist trees on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:05 am

Irish Witch wrote:I woulnd't go guessing what things aire has based on real life in case your wrong and she takes offence. Or more to the point your right and she takes offence...

If I offended, Aerie, you have my deepest apologies.

As to Irish, I didn't think I passed any sort of judgement or anything, I was just making an observation. It happens that I've known people in semi-similar circumstances, so I found this to be quite interesting.

Anyway, I'm out for now.
Oh no! My avatar got eaten... *sigh* R.I.P., avatar...
communist trees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Auburn_Vixn on Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:07 am

I agree with Amoryl. Seamus might have had good intentions, but he is really an insentive jerk to go telling Kestrel about it--it is not his business to tell her. It was especially pointless as Kestrel is about to move away.

I've gotta wonder, though, if Seamus is overreading the lesbian thing. Some women (and even some men) can be gossipy and talk alot about their friends to their significant others--especially female friends.
Auburn_Vixn
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rukh03 on Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:59 am

I wonder if seamus is overreading the lesbian thing as an unconscious (sp?) cover for his own fear of commitment.

And as to some of the other life comments; HiFranc and Amoryl,
Open honesty is 9 times out of 10, more painful, but 10 times out of 10, more healthy. And in the long run, less damaging too.
(edit: As long as it is your issue to tell, Angela's feelings are not Seamus' secret to tell)
rukh03
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Auburn_Vixn on Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:40 pm

rukh03 wrote:I wonder if seamus is overreading the lesbian thing as an unconscious (sp?) cover for his own fear of commitment.

And as to some of the other life comments; HiFranc and Amoryl,
Open honesty is 9 times out of 10, more painful, but 10 times out of 10, more healthy. And in the long run, less damaging too.
(edit: As long as it is your issue to tell, Angela's feelings are not Seamus' secret to tell)

Very well-said.
Auburn_Vixn
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fleurdelys on Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:05 pm

Ooooh, a discussion!

Truth can hurt, but it's always easier to heal from the truth than to live a lie. My opinon.

I love Seamus. He's just the perfect example of... the poor guy who never does anything write despite his good intentions.

God I love this comic.
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:28 pm

It's always much nicer to hear the truth then something that has been fabricated especially if it's stock. I mean entertain me at least. If I'm going to get lied to, I'd feel better knowing that some time and effort was spent on me. As always it's the personal touch that counts.

What someone talks about is a pretty good indication of where their head is at. Talking about an X, ex-crush, fling, whatever, is usually a good sign that they aren't thinking about their current S.O. I've always taken it as a warning sign that I need to bail.

I'm not sure what Seamus's motivation in this is. I think he want's Angela to be happy, and knows that she won't be if she's still hungup on Kestrel. She can say she is happy, she may actually be, but fulfilled is a totally different matter. I don't know. It was the right thing to do, but it wasn't the right thing, or the right way, for him to do. I'm always there to help friends, but whatever personal hells they create for themselves is for them to leave on their own.

communist trees wrote:If I offended, Aerie, you have my deepest apologies.

She'll let you know if you do. :oops:
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

A kiss is just a kiss, sometimes.

Postby Guairdean on Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:36 pm

The mention of a previous kiss between Kestrel and Angela adds a new dimension to the situation. Angela may have read more into the kiss (or wish there were more) and the tension could damage their friendship. Kestrel deserves to know her friends feelings. Love is a strange and powerful emotion. Understanding your own feelings can be difficult. Misunderstanding anothers feelings can be devastating. Seamus wants his friends to be happy and he may realize that Angela will eventually draw away from Kestrel (unrequited love hurts) and Kestrel would never know why. Losing a friend without knowing why is pretty rough. I agree with Seamus, it's better to know.
The heart can perceive that which the mind cannot comprehend.
Guairdean
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fleurdelys on Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:36 pm

Ambystoma4 wrote:
communist trees wrote:If I offended, Aerie, you have my deepest apologies.

She'll let you know if you do. :oops:

You are making her seem like Moderatorzilla. I doubt she would get offended by what Communist trees said. He was guessing, and it wasn't a degrading thought, which probably would make anyone angry.

70% of the comic doesn't mean 70% of the events happened in real life. It can also mean 70% of each event can be based on real life, or on various events all mixed up in one in the strip. Because Seamus' mistakes mixed up with Kestrel's life make up for a good mix.

I still say they should end up together. :P
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:18 pm

I guess that wasn't the best thing to quote with that.

I ment if you offend/annoy her she will let you know about it.
The smilie was for... well you know.

I'm sure she takes dramatic license for the sake of the story since real events don't necessarily make the most interesting plots. Granted people can get themselves into situations that one would never dream of, but the elements of good story telling don't happen too often in real life. Most of the time in reality things things just drop off the radar unless the people involved are just drama queens.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chiskiz on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:36 pm

well there is only one way to find out where this Seam/kes/angela problem can be resolved(or not resolved at all) is to wait the next strip.
JediChiskiz:May the "Woof" be with you
Chiskiz
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Amoryl on Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:47 pm

except that angela and kestrel already went through the whole thing about the kiss, it was explained that it wasn't her thing, and they mostly moved on. now if angela still has a thing for kestrel then thats something she has to deal with. she knows that her love will be unrequited and she has to deal with that. that being said the honesty is the best policy is something i don't agree with. if it comes up then yes, it's better to be upfront and honest. but there are a lot of things that cause much more unnesisary pain then they would if they were never brought up. i don't go around telling little kids the truth about santa and the easter bunny or ruining their other little imaginations. i don't bring up things to my friends that won't make a difference other then hurt them.

perhaps next seamus should do a survey and present to kestrel a list of everybody who dislikes her...because you know, the truth is better then not knowing :)
Just because you're bitchy and misunderstood, doesn't mean you're an artist
Amoryl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mabarosi on Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:11 am

Kestrel is Seamus's friend as well as Angela's friend, and as well as letting her know the truth about Angela, he's confiding in her about his OWN feelings. He says he's been quite hurt by Angela's love for Kestrel, and he probably would have told Kestrel about it anyway even if it was someone else Angela loved, not Kestrel, because Kestrel is his friend. I always confide in my friends when I'm having a problem. Seamus is trying to do multiple tasks - 1) share his feelings with a friend 2) help the woman he loves 3) help his friend.

I like Seamus. I don't think he's a manipulative person, he just has a few issues, but he's generally a nice guy who like many people have given and taken blows in the love arena.
mabarosi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GabrielTane on Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:52 am

keayts wrote:Personally, I prefer being upfront and honest about everything, since as I see it, the person who I'm being honest with is responsible for how they take it, not me.

::stands and applauds::

Yes. Thank you. Someone else who seems to be as tired as I am about walking in eggshells. See these boots? Yeah, they don't say 'egg proof'.

Now it was said earlier (by a few different people) that Seamus may not have had the right to get into this discussion with Kes. I agree with that. I also agree somewhat with the thought that Mabarosi had about Seamus just wanting to talk to a friend about his problems. I just think he picked the wrong friend for that outlet. Although I'm sure that his reasons got mixed up with the alcohol in his head.

All-in-all, I can't wait to see where this arc goes. :)
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

poor angela/seamus/kestrel

Postby ambergl on Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:24 am

I have to say, I kinda feel bad for Angela. Shes gotten herself into a mess, and Kestrel seems... mad... about it :(

For those who thought that Seamus might be fabricating things... I really don't think he is.

It's hard to keep something secret when it's eating away at you and all that you can think about. While I guess it really isn't Seamus' place to tell and he really shouldn't have... you can't blame him too much.
1) He's drunk
2) He's hurting
3) This is consuming his thoughts

poor Angela/Seamus/Kestrel
ambergl
Junior Keenspotter

Next

Return to Queen of Wands