QoW Update - comic for 12/10

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

QoW Update - comic for 12/10

Postby Aeire on Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:27 pm

Is now up
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Postby Starman Matt on Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:45 pm

I think Flogging Molly would be perfectly fine lullaby music.

This is one more reason we should be glad I don't have kids.
"Starman" Matt Morrison
Writer of Looking To The Stars and 144 Anima.
Check out our NEW home at The Nexus.
Starman Matt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Haesslich on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:01 pm

Well, I think the whole 'and baby makes three' thing is REALLY hitting Kestrel right about now. Especially as she's the proverbial Fifth Wheel here....
Haesslich
Keenspot Despot

:(

Postby Merryjest on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:28 am

Poor Krestel :(

*gives Krestel a Maus hug*

That is all

*returns to lurk, where he's been al these years :P *
Merryjest
Junior Keenspotter

Postby GabrielTane on Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:26 am

Haesslich wrote:Well, I think the whole 'and baby makes three' thing is REALLY hitting Kestrel right about now. Especially as she's the proverbial Fifth Wheel here....

I get the feeling that Kes is starting to question whether she wants to stick around. I think she realized that she won't be around to watch this wonderful little thing grow up. And it's probably hitting her hard. I know she loves Shannon like a sister, and to not be there to watch her niece grow up? And to not get to see her two closest friends go through parenthood? I think she's going to feel regret over it.

Also, the chorus to "Wrapped Around Your Finger" (Police) started running through my head when the baby started to snuggle on Kes.
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Calisto on Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:47 am

I think that baby looks pretty good on Kestrel :wink:
Calisto
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Spookeedoom on Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:50 am

Okay, so this is my cherry post (I've gone through the archives of comics in about 3 days... yea me).
Maybe the whole 'and baby makes three' thing is hitting Kestrel right about now. Maybe it is the fact that she's realizing that she's not gonna be around to watch Adrienne grow up. I don't know (apparently only Aeire knows).
The way it looks to me is that Kestrel's reaction is sort of like when I first held my daughter (granted I saw her for the first time when she was 10 months old), one that starts out as apprehension, and then grows to be either a deep fondness and even love.
Or maybe I'm just reading way too much into things.
"God's killin' lots of kittens cuz of me"

-=formerly SpookeeP, lost in the Great Redeployment of 05... or was it 06?=-
Spookeedoom
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Gerbie on Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:10 am

Join the club dude. I think everyone that reads QoW regularly is in the "reads to much into it" crowd. Mostly cause we want more! Lots more! In fact, I feel pretty confident in saying that Aeire will never give us so much of this comic that we lose interest, and in fact, could not possibly do so. Just can't happen. We'll keep reading it as long as she keeps drawing it. And when she stops drawing it, we'll be understanding and sympathetic, but we'll still wish there had been more. And if you've been through the archive in three days, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. ;)
Sailing on the seas of life under full sails, with no one at the helm.
Gerbie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby PrettyPrincess on Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:24 am

Oddly enough, All the Pretty Horses is my son's favorite lullaby too.

If you've ever heard it, it's kind of creepy sounding (at least I think so)...

Poor Kestrel. It's hard to hold a baby and know that you can't be there for them always.
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby KitKaru on Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:46 am

Gee, normally I'm a heart-of-flint kinda guy but that last cell really got to me. It is said that the epitome of comics is to evoke an emotion out of the viewer. Congradulations on having reached it.

As for Kestrel, I guess it's a hodgepodge of emotings. First she's worried about her friend being in the hospital. Then she realizes that she really isn't a part of this much anymore. However she is already 'missing them in advance' because she knows she is leaving. Finally there's the kid which is, for all intents and purposes, her niece, that she won't get to see grow up. And underneath it all is the lonliness she has always grown up with, and not wanting to loose something so precious.

By the way, very good job with the background.
KitKaru
Keenspotter Supreme

impressive

Postby jbrecken on Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:06 am

KitKaru wrote:As for Kestrel, I guess it's a hodgepodge of emotings.

And I am frequently amazed at how Aeire is able to convey these emotional states with only a few simple lines
jbrecken
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GabrielTane on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:04 pm

jbrecken wrote:And I am frequently amazed at how Aeire is able to convey these emotional states with only a few simple lines

That's one of the things I love about this comic and Aeire's drawing style. Especially the facial expressions.

Case in point: http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20020821.html

that's one of my favs. hehehe.
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Irish Witch on Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:55 pm

Yeah... Some of her earliest comics were porrly drawn but the style she's developed is definitely effective at creating atmosphere... And I think the backgrounds are key... Most the comics I read online dont make effectively use of backgrounds.. The darkness with the lullabuy in the background, combined with the scenes and the lack of seeing any faces in all but the last panel helps make us feel cut off from her, adding to her feeling of lonelyness....

I dont know that lullabuy btw.. We neve had lullabyes as kids... Our parents just did the reading thing!
Last edited by Irish Witch on Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Witch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:34 pm

The original style was pretty good, and you can see how things evolved from it. I still like the middle style the best, since that is when I first found it. I kind of miss the full backgrounds of the early strips though.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Uh, this is kinda creepy...

Postby ZotKitty on Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:31 pm

I was poking through the archives attempting to find a strip from the era of QoW which had the art I liked best so I could post the link. I happened upon this one, which is both an example of my favorite style of Aeire-ness in the art and curiously relevant to today's strip in the topic. Check it out:

http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20030330.html
ZotKitty
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Irish Witch on Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:09 pm

The focus-blur on the close-ups is extremely well done. Just imagine the complexity in isolating out components and making sure they're the non-blurred. Ok, not all that complex but yeah. She's extremely good with the faces. I think I'm gonna analyse her style as it may help me improve my own...

(Dont get me started. I cant draw for penuts)
Irish Witch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:54 am

I'm guessing those are done in layers in photoshop.

That's about the era I'm talking about.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:41 pm

I was going to say that, in my opinion, Felix had his priorities all screwy and should be fussing over his daughter and not his wife, but having had recent reports of how the hospitals work over there I now think responsible adult Shannon was in more danger than helpless baby Adrienne ...
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Calisto on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:33 am

Well, he was at home with baby and tried to stay with her until Kestrel insisted that she would be fine with the baby and made him go.
Calisto
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Queen of Wands