Cat and baby

Postby HiFranc on Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:49 am

What's so scary about a baby to a cat?
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Catrina on Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:02 am

Unpredictable movement never know when they will get smacked.
Catrina
Junior Keenspotter

Postby CyberSkull on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:44 am

Sincerely,
Your Dread Lord

Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc
CyberSkull
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:00 am

Adrienne is much bigger than Zot, and can't control her arms and legs. SMACK! Well, maybe Zot has had a bad experience with a baby before, or maybe it's just fear of the unknown.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby andustar on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:08 am

She's reading Neil Gaiman's Endless Nights :D

and I assume she jumped in, and then found someone else was in there already, and went WAAAH MOMMMMYYYY! I mean, come on, if that happened to you...
andustar
Junior Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:49 am

Yeah, think it has more to do with having once had a nice comfy bed, all to herself, and suddenly finding it occupied by this strange little 'baby' thing.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby ZotKitty on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:45 pm

bloodeye wrote:Yeah, think it has more to do with having once had a nice comfy bed, all to herself, and suddenly finding it occupied by this strange little 'baby' thing.

Precisely. When I'm away, my cat sleeps on the middle of my bed, and she's quite annoyed, when I return, to find that I expect to sleep there again. For Zot, it's worse because this is the first time she's realized the crib doesn't belong especially to her.
ZotKitty
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:52 pm

I'm thinking that Zot might have gone into the crib while the baby was asleep then the baby woke up and scared her.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mira Mira on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:49 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:...or maybe it's just fear of the unknown.

That could do it. Cats are creatures of routine, and finding an unexpected non-prey creature in their territory doesn't qualify as routine.
Mira Mira
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:29 pm

CyberSkull wrote:What is she reading?

The Necronomicon.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Books...

Postby HiFranc on Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:41 am

Ambystoma4 wrote:

The Necronomicon.

Is it any good?
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Welcome?

Postby HiFranc on Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:42 am

Am I too late to say welcome to the world of Queen of the Wands and it's forums, Mira Mira?
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby andustar on Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:15 am

Ambystoma4 wrote:

The Necronomicon.

Lol.

If anyone was serious, then here, all ye doubters...
andustar
Junior Keenspotter

Welcome

Postby HiFranc on Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:56 pm

Welcome to the Queen of the Wands and the forums thereof, andustar.

Ps.
If it's the Sandman series it's probably good.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ambystoma4 on Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:33 pm

andustar wrote:If anyone was serious, then here, all ye doubters...

That would be it.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby andustar on Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:50 pm

I don't know about the Necronomicon, but Endless Nights certainly is :D

and thanks <feels welcomed> been lurking here occasinally when I was bored... so I feel quite at home as it is :)
andustar
Junior Keenspotter

Little Ancidote:

Postby Irish Witch on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:22 am

Cats are territorial... Aparently my mum used to have a white siamese prior to my birth... When I arrived it went out of it's way to shed all my clothing and mess up my crib...
(^^ Knows there's a joke there but refuses to say it)

The cat never did anything to me directly but it's jelousy destroed nearly anything my parents bought me until they finally got rid of it...

Strangely enough all our cats since then have been black......
And the majority of them all from the same mother/bloodline - who was a pursian cross sinclare (least that's what my dad always said).

It's strange growing up with so many clack cats when you grow up in a christian family?
Irish Witch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby KitKaru on Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:37 am

Babies are the bane of all things small and fuzzy. They are clumsy, very loud and noisy, and have a tendency to pull whiskers, tails, fur, or anything else they can manage to latch onto.

Cats are territorial... Aparently my mum used to have a white siamese prior to my birth... When I arrived it went out of it's way to shed all my clothing and mess up my crib...

Hmm, mabye just because it was a Siamese, those tend to be one person cats. I know my parents told me when I got brought home, their cat at the time thought them very nice to have brought him a new human to play with.

I have a sinking feeling I'm going to be spending too much time in these forums. I got addicted... ahh, I mean introduced to QoW a few months back (about the time as the QoW/S*P crossovers... which got me hooked on those as well). Been reading fairly regularly since then. I really enjoy the comics, both the artwork and the humor.
KitKaru
Keenspotter Supreme

Welcome

Postby HiFranc on Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:26 pm

Welcome to the forums of Queen of the Wands, KitKaru.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby PrettyPrincess on Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:31 am

My sister on law's cat is deathly afraid of my baby, and he's never done anything to her before, and she's never lived near a baby...

I think it may be instinctual - centuries of tails pulled by small mischevious children.
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Fleurdelys on Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:48 pm

I have two cats. One is 13 years old and the closest she has ever been to a baby was my 6 years old brother (well he's 19 now). I also have a 3 years old male who has always lived in the comfort of my apartment, with nobody else than me, my husband and the other cat. When we get visitors, my old girl tends to stay in the bedroom, sleeping, but if they stay for long, she'll eventually creep out and come to take a sniff at the strangers, rubbing their legs and getting a few pets before crawling back to bed. My big guy tends to follow visitors all around the place, "brrrrow?"ing for attention, affection and pettings. People love him, he even tends to give TOO much love to visitors.

Until he day I babysitted my sister-in-law's 1yr old baby.

Old girl has never seen a child, but she completely ignored it. She went up to the crib, took a snif, and would have shrugged if she could before turning around and not looking at it again. Big guy curled up in his small bed, shivering in fear, and would shoot out all claws if I ever tried to pick him up from it.

I don't think cats (and dogs) consider babies as "mini-humans". They're more like... a strange animal they have never seen. My old girl isn't scared of babies because she has met a lot of animals, lived with a giant dog for 6 years old her life, has had a lot of fights in the outside with other cats/skunks/racoons. Poor big guy has never been out of the apartment, like Zot, and is afraid of anything else than humans and cats. I tried showing him the outside once, he meowed like i was killing him, flattening down in the grass and trying to go unnoticed as he meowed again in fear, crawling back towards the door.

Cats are so fun :P

It's a lot like parents who keep their kids in a protective bubble, wondering afterwards why he's having trouble making friends. Cats can be social animals, if you give them a social life. We have a lot of visitors at my apartment, so my cats arent afraid of them, being used to them for all their life. If a kid never meets a lot of adults and has never done anything different, it's no wonder he'll be afraid of everything. 'Life experience' applies to cats too, and Zot... doesn't have a lot.
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TreeHuggingHippie on Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:02 am

The Necronomicon? That sounds familiar. What's it about?

I'd be scared if I had a cat that took a liking to my baby's crib. They used to believe that cats could suck the soul from a baby. The truth of the matter is that the cat would lay down on the baby's face and smother it. Zot may be a kitten, but a kitten wouldn't know that the squirming thing with the weird smell isn't a new toy or something. Of course, maybe I'm just being paranoid because I know how to prepare a dog for a baby's arrival but since when could one teach a cat anything? Independent little snots, they are, who somehow always manage to earn my begrudging love and admiration.
"Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop." --Anita Blake, "The Laughing Corpse"
TreeHuggingHippie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fleurdelys on Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:08 am

Cats can learn and be used to new things just as well as dogs can. Or maybe I should change that sentence to "Some cats can learn and be used to new things just as well as some dogs can." A dog is a social animal, in the wild, wolves live in a pack and obey the leader; the dog obeys because he wants to please his master more than anything. A cat is a lonesome animal, tigers and panthers and wild cats don't live in packs. The cat loves his master for company and pettings, not because he's tied to him by dependance (until they understand that you are the almighty master of the gooshy food).

It explains why he's independant, but it doesn't make him less able to understand the coming of a new member in the family. Just like dogs, I would say the liking or not of children has a lot to do with the pedigree. Siameses, Persans, street cats and Ragdolls won't react the same way, just like Huskies, Golden Retriever and Cockers won't either.
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:48 pm

TreeHuggingHippie wrote:The Necronomicon? That sounds familiar. What's it about?

It's an ancient book of the dead written about 700 AD in Arabia. Link

It's been used as a plot device in several movies. The one that I can identify off the top of my head is the Evil Dead trilogy.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby TreeHuggingHippie on Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:45 pm

Pedigree does play a part in how a dog reacts to a child. Each breed is bred for a specialized task. German Shepherds are for guarding and herding. Pitbulls are pig dogs. Each task calls for a different degree of aggression. Some breeds are more docile than others, like hounds tend to be more docile (or "lazier") than a chihuhua, which will bounce all over the place.

However, how "pure" the animal is plays a part as well. In order to keep a breed pure, there is a degree of inbreeding. Too much inbreeding tends to rise either stupidity, aggression, or both. If you get a good breeder who knows what he's doing, you have less chances of getting a dog that will be too stupid or too aggressive, or too much of both. If a dog is mixed, then it's hard to say who the animal will take after, but my experience has been that a mixed dog can be trusted. Also, some breeds are more aggressive because the breed as a whole has been too inbred. In the past year or so, there have been warnings that St. Bernards can't be as trusted as they once were, especially around children.

Now, you do get your exceptions to the rules. I've met racoon dogs who couldn't hunt so much as a squirrel. Aggression goes the same way. There are some breeds reputed to be very aggressive (such as Rockweillers or Dobermans) but I've met plenty of them that have the sweetest nature and who I'd leave with a child in a heartbeat. Therefore, the dog's innate personality plays apart.

Then, you add to the equation upbringing (did the dog have a good owner, had he ever get beaten) and more uncertainty enters into the equation. However, breed does play a part because what the animal was originally bred for does play a part.

Yeah...I like dogs... Could you tell?
"Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop." --Anita Blake, "The Laughing Corpse"
TreeHuggingHippie
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Queen of Wands