Announcement: Xenith

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Announcement: Xenith

Postby Aeire on Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:19 pm

Cross-posted to my blog, here, and the QoW LJ community:

Xenith is gone. The webpage for it no longer exists, although I have backed up all of the comic files and images I had stored on the site. I realize not a lot of people know about Xenith, but I thought it would be best to offer an explanation anyway, as best I can.

I
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Postby IAreMoocow on Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:34 pm

That was a wonderful and heartfelt explanation.

I'm sure many of us can identify with some of what you said, and a lot of us have probably been in similar situations as well. Looking back at our thoughts and feelings during a certain time in our lives and realizing that part of the reason we were so depressed was because well... that's really all we thought about. There was always something preventing us from being happy... some wall. And so we thought about that wall instead of thinking about the things that did make us happy. Such a viscious cycle.

Anyway, Aeire, thank you for putting your work out there for others... for trying your damndest to make people think a little. If the films I'm working on have half the effect on people that your comics seem to have had... I'll consider them all to be successes.

IAreMoocw/Jesse
Beyond Captivity, my little corner of insanity. Or something like that.

Have you ever licked a nine volt battery? Me neither. I hear it tastes like celery.
IAreMoocow
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ZotKitty on Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:30 pm

Wow. I'm impressed by your honesty and frankness here, Aeire, and by your sense of responsibility to your readers. It's tough to give up on a set of characters, I know, and I admire you for being willing to do that because you know that those characters aren't going to do good for those who read them.

I'm also rather stunned at finding this here right when I did: it's 4 p.m. local time as I write this, and it was only 11 p.m. last night when I first found my way to Xenith and read it straight through. Which probably makes me one of the very last people to read it. I'm glad I did see it, because your artwork there was gorgeous, but I'm glad I found it when I did and found this when I did. The lack of closure in the final panel of Xenith bothered me, and while I was hoping, last night, that you would finish it soon, it's almost better this way.

Thank you, Aeire, for making us feel.
ZotKitty
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:37 pm

I ran across Xenith before I came across QoW, and I've been active here on the QoW forums for a while now... Xenith was sorta like an old friend who you don't quite understand, but enjoy running into now and again.

I'll miss it being around, and am slightly sad that I won't get to see the ending. Even if it was depressing. I sorta like depressing.

But, I can also very much understand not wanting projects that just don't really represent you anymore. So, while I'm sad to see Xenith go, am happier to here of possible new tales in the future.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby mabarosi on Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:25 am

I did start reading Xenith nearly a month ago, as a form of procrastination and to see what one of my favourite web-authors' early works were. It was a difficult read, not only because of slow loading time (I don't know if that was a problem with the site or my own computer) but because it was such a depressing story. I only read up to after Kaith met Jarroll and they were fleeing from mysterious creatures, but I did really enjoy it, and I'm sorry to see that I won't get to complete reading it. But I completely understand where you're coming from - in my opinion, I understand that there have been some very difficult times in my life, and though I acknowledge that it can be very helpful to analyse one's thoughts and actions and fully understand and come to terms with one's past, I believe that it can be quite dangerous to dwell on the past in this way. A lot of people gain from it, but I think that sometimes you just need to focus on the here and now and concentrate on doing better in the present than getting down about what life was or could have been. So...what I just said may not seem to relate to what you're talking about, but it sort of does for me. What I'm saying (in my own weird way) is that I understand why you don't want Xenith up anymore. I wish you good luck for the conclusion of QoW (waah!) and also the beginning of the new story (yay!).
mabarosi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lugnut on Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:28 am

First of all, *Hugs*. No particular reason 'sides it seems like you could use one.

I'm sad to say I never saw Xenith. Sad that I've been reading QoW for as long as I have, and never got wind of its existence. But things happen. It might have affected my view of QoW, so while I'm disappointed that I didn't get to see the art or anything, I guess it's for the best that I didn't read the story.

It sucks when stories end without ending, but sometimes it's better that way.
<The past is what makes us careful with the future>
Lugnut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby damicovu on Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:51 am

You took responsibility for your characters, and that's a sign of a good writer. Xenith seemed interesting the few times I looked at it, but I fully understand why you decided to end it.

I'm much more concerned that, after all this time, you still haven't put up a QoW cast page (and clean your room! And make your bed! And nagnagnagnagnag.....)
damicovu
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GabrielTane on Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:00 am

I read Xenith when I found the mention of it in the FAQ's. I loved it. I know it's a lot of work (and, as you said, it's very personal), but did you ever think about putting it in a book? I would buy that one in a heartbeat. I'd love to have it around for when I get sad and lonley. It would help get my perspectives straight. I know, I know... not everyone would benefit this way, but... eh. Oh well... just a rambling thought. See? It just rambled under the stove. Crap! It's going to be impossible to get out from under there!
Gabriel Tane
In Omnibus, Pondera
GabrielTane
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Announcement: Xenith

Postby HiFranc on Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:49 am

[quote="Aeire"][...]

Currently, the readership for Queen of Wands is somewhere in the 25-30k range. That
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: Announcement: Xenith

Postby HiFranc on Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:22 am

[quote="Aeire"][...]

I was dealing with problems that life was throwing at me and not dealing with them particularly successfully, and honestly, I couldn
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Sad to see it gone...

Postby Telcontar on Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:38 am

I think even depressing stories deserve to be told, if there is depth in them. I am glad I had read Xenith when it was still online, and wish I had re-read it recently so I could remember more...

Furthermore I consider it important to state here that a cynical or depressing story does not necessarily leave that message in its reader... in the contrary, if cynicism is used very strongly, it reminds us of our hopefully somewhat more optimistic attitude to life, or at least makes us feel understood.

To conclude, I would have liked to read the ending, but I understand that Aeire feels there is not enough to be gained by finishing the story, and that she thinks she cannot pick up a thread left several years ago.
Telcontar
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Blue/Black on Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:53 am

I felt a little dissapointed when I heard this bit of news. Mostly because I never got to read Xenith at all, or knew it existed until I found out it was being ended and databases erased.

But I understand.
OmG LyKE KEsTrEL iS So00ooo HaWt!
Blue/Black
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gerbie on Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:10 am

I thouroughly enjoyed Xenith. Except the long loading times, heh. Long enough that at slow connection times I'd click "next" and then read a chapter in whatever book, then check if it was done loading yet.

But I loved the characters, and the story was intriguing. I didn't even think it was at all depressing. Then again, I typically just walk right through any such walls I encounter, so maybe my outlook is different.

So yea, I'm sad to see Xenith go away, but I wont hold it against ya. Just keep drawing stuff and I'll be happy. Heck, you could probably get away with drawing a stickman telling pre-school type fart jokes and still keep some of us entertained. ;)
Sailing on the seas of life under full sails, with no one at the helm.
Gerbie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby anathemad on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:38 am

I am sad to hear that Xenith has been pulled, and I understand your reasons. I was wondering however if you have the Photoshop tutorial that used to be up there available?

Thanks any which way,
~Michele
anathemad
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Queen of Wands