Tech support woes

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Tech support woes

Postby blueblack on Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:23 pm

There used to be discussions here about the aggravation of customer service, mostly from the people who worked in it. This is not their story.

I kind of lost it at a tech support guy yesterday. My internet malfunctioned. I called Time Warner. They sent me to Earthlink. It was so embarrassing. I felt like he was talking down to me, trying to make me feel stupid. Maybe he hates his job and tries to comfort himself by acting all superior, like "I am the Grand Master of Information! Grovel before me for the tech support knowledge that only I possess!" I was ready to cry. Eventually I said "I hate you!" and hung up and threw the phone. A weak, girly throw. The phone was unharmed. It didn't even make it to the wall, but landed softly on the plush carpet.

Mostly I just wish I'd thought of something snappy to say before I hung up. And deep down I would have liked to break the phone (been meaning to get a new one anyway).

This is far from the first time I've called tech support. Sure it can be frustrating, but it's usually the malfunctioning equipment that's frustrating. I like to think that I'm usually calm and sensible. But I'm used to being treated as an adult. It's my equipment, after all.

In cases like this, can I say "May I please talk to someone else?" Should I complain to Earthlink? I didn't write down the guy's name, so I don't think I will.
res severa verum gaudium
blueblack
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:44 pm

Odds are the person you thought was "Earthlink" probably wasn't Earthlink at all.

You can ask to speak to somone else, but more then likely they are just as clueless as the first guy.

It's easier to assume the person onthe other end is an idiot and go step by step in low-level terms plus people will also do not do something you tell them to do then just answer yes back.

I try to assume the other person is at least reasonably intelligent.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby starharbor on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:36 pm

Bleh... I used to work for the company that Earthlink outsourced their tech support to, and you could have described any one of dozens of guys there. :P Nobody seemed to understand that the job isn't merely possessing technical knowledge, but using that knowledge to help people.

One of the interview questions they gave me when they hired me was, "What's more important in this job, computer skills or people skills?" I said "People skills, because you can know everything there is to know about a computer system but if you can't relate that over the phone it doesn't do anybody any good." The interviewer seemed impressed, but apparently there was no wrong answer to that particular question because my attitude seemed fairly unique. :P
starharbor
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:54 pm

It takes a a lot a paitence and communication skills to do the job, and not hate it.

Tech Support made Popular Science's worst jobs at #11.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lugnut on Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:11 am

I would think it'd be higher than that! I mean crap, when someone's computer takes a crap, and then they wait on the phone for God only knows how long, what else are they gonna wanna do besides tear the first human they talk to a new arsehole. I'm nice to most tech and customer support people unless they're rude first, or if they're completely incompetent. Then I get mean. :evil: But my mean isn't yelling and screaming, my mean is asking for supervisors and BBB reports. :wink:
<The past is what makes us careful with the future>
Lugnut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:03 pm

"The hold button is your friend. It takes the fight out of them." -Three Dead Trolls in a baggy.

There was some really nasty jobs. Like one was a doctor that was studying Anal Warts, that was #1.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lugnut on Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:41 pm

Ooooooo. Man. THAT'S bad.

I work for a medical organization...I always wondered what inspired proctologists and urologists to pursue that particular specialty. :D
<The past is what makes us careful with the future>
Lugnut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Spanglehelm on Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:42 pm

Lame tech support is one of the main reasons I learned to fix things myself... I remember getting 20+ min. hold-ups, or sending my computer in, only to get it returned a week later, freshly formatted and re-windowed... Just learning to do that by myself must have saved some $200-300 worth of "professional" tech support. Besides, when all you're going to do is give lame advice over the phone, and start making stuff up when the problems are out of your grasp... you should become a politician!
Spanglehelm
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:00 pm

The thing is most tech places outsource their call centers to companies who specialize in that, and those places are meat grinders.

There was a great article on salon about it. They give the new recruits cursory training on the phone system then turn them loose.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Return to Queen of Wands