QoW Update - Comic for 9/27

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

QoW Update - Comic for 9/27

Postby Aeire on Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:18 pm

Is now up
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
User avatar
Aeire
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu May 18, 2000 11:00 pm

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:27 pm

Too true, Angela. But we men keep playing the game anyway!
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
User avatar
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby AcemacA on Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:33 pm

Its all true though. And we're all victim. And people look at me funny when I explain the reasoning behind why they've just played their part in the perverse social screenplay that is romanticism. Then they go and accuse hypocracy when I attempt to do something "nice".

I think I have the solution. Hugh Grant must be shot.
There's a differnce between image-searching for "kitty" and imagesearching for.. er.. something else.
User avatar
AcemacA
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:40 am

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:54 am

Hugh Grant, yes. The rest of the romantic comedy heroes are dead already :)
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
User avatar
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby bloodeye on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:48 am

Would say just stop playing. Encourage others to break the rules. Enough people refuse to submit to unwritten rules, they aren't rules anymore. Or such is my impression. But, being single and without prospects, my opinion might not count for much.
User avatar
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2001 11:00 pm

Postby Lugnut on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:53 am

Feh. Games just mean that someone has to win and someone has to lose. Sod that. I can't say I don't know what Angela's talking about...but I do know that I don't play. :wink:

*Insert Wayne's World Flashback Fingers here*
<The past is what makes us careful with the future>
User avatar
Lugnut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:11 pm

Postby Fleurdelys on Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:42 pm

95lbs Friend: "Does this dress make me look fat?"

Me: *rolls eyes* "Yes. Try another one."

Friend: *eyes widened* "You're so rude!"

Me: *exasperated* "You asked. Don't ask if you can't hear. Try another one, you look like you're an ugly 100lbs in that dress."



True story. That, or "Look at this picture, I look horrible!"... "Teehee, you had a zit on your chin, see? Did you notice the red eyes?"
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
User avatar
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Longueuil, QC, Canada

Postby Lugnut on Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:00 pm

Ooo. THAT one's a dandy. Whenever anyone asks me that question I always just run away with my hands over my hears, crowing "Stupid Questions, Stupid Answers!"
<The past is what makes us careful with the future>
User avatar
Lugnut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:11 pm

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Lugnut wrote:Ooo. THAT one's a dandy. Whenever anyone asks me that question I always just run away with my hands over my hears, crowing "Stupid Questions, Stupid Answers!"

'There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr Garrison.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
User avatar
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:07 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Postby AcemacA on Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:17 am

I learned at a very young age that there is no correct answer to "Do I look good in this?" I think its that more than anything else that led to the installation of a permanent baseball bat next to all the mirrors in the house.

Alternatively, I'm with Fleur. Kudos to you! Blunt honesty saves me at least half an hour each and everyday, and only half the time ends in concussion.

"Hey, do I look good in this?"
"No, but I can say yes for you, because thats what you want to hear"
"I don't know why I even bother to ask you. Never again"
<MISSION ACCOMPLISHED>
There's a differnce between image-searching for "kitty" and imagesearching for.. er.. something else.
User avatar
AcemacA
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:40 am

Postby blueblack on Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:46 pm

But...but I really do look bad in photos! As soon as I get home I'm taking a picture of myself and I'll prove it.

And some clothes make one look fat. It's called Not Fitting and is usually associated with some physical discomfort before one gets to the mirror.

And there is an answer to "Do I look good in this?"
-if I do look good, say "yes"
-if you can't be troubled to notice subtle differences (and who can?) say "yes"
-if it's so wrong that you can't say "yes" say "Enh, it doesn't do anything for me, personally."
If you say yes you should claim to have really good taste. If you give the noncommital answer you should not claim to have any taste. And if you want to counterplay you should claim to have either terrible or avant-garde taste.

I declare myself the winner of the game. I hope my prize is an insult! Give it your best shot!
res severa verum gaudium
User avatar
blueblack
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: the flip side

Postby Fleurdelys on Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:51 pm

These are good answers to the question "Do I look good in this?" or "Does this dress fit well?" which are honest questions. But the question "Do I look fat in that?" is a vicious one, one that calls for a compliment, and that's the whole game.

I still answer "look in the mirror, you're the one wearing it. Are you comfortable?"
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
User avatar
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Longueuil, QC, Canada

Postby Mutant for Hire on Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:14 pm

Traditionally, virginity and purity were prized so as to minimize the chance that a man would end up supporting a child that was not his own. It meant that a guy would be the first one to impregnate her and that there would be no chance that the girl would be pregnant by another man.

There's also probably the choosiness factor there as well. "I won't sleep with just any guy" which makes the guy she does finally sleep with special. The one that she gives up her virginity to. There's this challenge and specialness factor which makes the girl more desirable as well.

Guy games are pretty simple games. First off with respect to girls, at least at high school age and for a little while afterwards, it's a matter of "how much nookie/sex can I get" sort of games. Note I didn't say all, I just said most. I am quite confident there are exceptions, but I also think they are the exception rather than the norm. But the guys who are good with messing with people tend to use their skills on girls to get sex.

Guys, on average, aren't into relationships in the way that girls are. This strip is more or less the great summary of that. Most guys are on the lines of "I already told you that I love you, I'll let you know if anything changes". They don't mess with relationships because to them relationships aren't all that interesting for them. How much they're getting laid is more interesting to them, and how many girls they can get in the less ethical cases.

Guy games among other guys are simple games of who gets to be the alpha male. The alpha male and his chosen companions pick on the bottom of the social heap, dealing out crap just because they can, to prove that they are in fact at the top of the heap. And to secure their power over everyone else, who wishes to avoid being treated like crap by the alpha. These are not overly complicated games, especially in high school.
User avatar
Mutant for Hire
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:11 pm

Postby mabarosi on Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:00 am

Mutant for Hire wrote:Traditionally, virginity and purity were prized so as to minimize the chance that a man would end up supporting a child that was not his own. It meant that a guy would be the first one to impregnate her and that there would be no chance that the girl would be pregnant by another man.

There's also probably the choosiness factor there as well. "I won't sleep with just any guy" which makes the guy she does finally sleep with special. The one that she gives up her virginity to. There's this challenge and specialness factor which makes the girl more desirable as well.

Guy games are pretty simple games. First off with respect to girls, at least at high school age and for a little while afterwards, it's a matter of "how much nookie/sex can I get" sort of games. Note I didn't say all, I just said most. I am quite confident there are exceptions, but I also think they are the exception rather than the norm. But the guys who are good with messing with people tend to use their skills on girls to get sex.

Guys, on average, aren't into relationships in the way that girls are. This strip is more or less the great summary of that. Most guys are on the lines of "I already told you that I love you, I'll let you know if anything changes". They don't mess with relationships because to them relationships aren't all that interesting for them. How much they're getting laid is more interesting to them, and how many girls they can get in the less ethical cases.

Guy games among other guys are simple games of who gets to be the alpha male. The alpha male and his chosen companions pick on the bottom of the social heap, dealing out crap just because they can, to prove that they are in fact at the top of the heap. And to secure their power over everyone else, who wishes to avoid being treated like crap by the alpha. These are not overly complicated games, especially in high school.


Guy games suck. It's annoying when they say "I love you" after only knowing you for a few days because you KNOW they are only trying to have sex with you. But some guy games make no sense. I think that often when they want to get rid of a girl they still don't want her to hate them, because they want to be liked by everyone, so they make it seem beyond their control. Like, for example, telling a girl he's joining the airforce (it happened to me!). But I've heard of other examples of guys acting like the biggests wankers so the girl will dump them instead of them having to do it, so they don't feel guilty.

Guys and girls should just try to be more honest. I think one of the biggest relationship problems is often lack of communication. Misunderstandings and misrepresentations can easily be avoided if people just told the truth.
User avatar
mabarosi
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:30 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Postby Lugnut on Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:02 am

A-MEN *insert standing ovation here*! I'm that way myself, and I warn the HELL out of guys that I start dating that I am that kind of person. "If you want me to be sweet and innocent and always nice, this ends now, 'cause I ain't! If you want someone who is going to tell you when she's glad mad bitchy happy or just outright randy, you got her!" You sould see some of the facial expressions that THAT one gets me. :wink:
<The past is what makes us careful with the future>
User avatar
Lugnut
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:11 pm

Postby Mutant for Hire on Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:53 pm

mabarosi wrote:But some guy games make no sense. I think that often when they want to get rid of a girl they still don't want her to hate them, because they want to be liked by everyone, so they make it seem beyond their control. Like, for example, telling a girl he's joining the airforce (it happened to me!). But I've heard of other examples of guys acting like the biggests wankers so the girl will dump them instead of them having to do it, so they don't feel guilty.

Actually, I think you pretty much pinned down the motives behind guys making excuses to end a relationship or treating a girl like crap so she'll drop him. Though I would point out if the guy ends the relationship for factors beyond their control, that leaves a better option for resuming the relationship if things don't pan out. And then there are the guys who don't want an emotional breakup scene and the girl trying to make him feel bad about it, so they work on alternative measures.

Yes, guy game suck. So do girl games. Games people play with others have a strong tendency to suck period.
User avatar
Mutant for Hire
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:11 pm

Postby Fleurdelys on Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:03 pm

*bows*

Et voil
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
User avatar
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Longueuil, QC, Canada

Postby Ambystoma4 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:56 pm

There are people like that. They are the ones who suck at realationships.

I'd rather the girl just hate me.
I just don't want to deal with her afterwards; once it's over, it's over.

mabarosi wrote:Guys and girls should just try to be more honest. I think one of the biggest relationship problems is often lack of communication. Misunderstandings and misrepresentations can easily be avoided if people just told the truth.
User avatar
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Postby AcemacA on Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:05 pm

Honesty has yet to fail me. As far as I can tell most of the problems in any given relationship are because of lack of comunication anyway. Honesty fixes that anyway.

And as for lieing, well I feel that if you can't communicate then the least you can do is shut up.

Its not that hard, I don't see the need for bullshit its not like we've got secret identies we have to protect in the break up
There's a differnce between image-searching for "kitty" and imagesearching for.. er.. something else.
User avatar
AcemacA
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:40 am

all generalizations are false.

Postby jbrecken on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:13 pm

mabarosi wrote:It's annoying when they say "I love you" after only knowing you for a few days because you KNOW they are only trying to have sex with you.


Not always. Sometimes you just know, despite the fact that you barely know her and it makes no sense on a logical level, (but heck, whoever said this was logical?) that she is the one, the place where your heart lives, and the more you get to know her, the more sense it makes as every little fold of her personality just meshes so well, and it's there with every little touch of her hand or her smile in your eyes, it's not a lustful wanting, it's an emotional peace of mind thing where you just know that when you hold her you are Truly Home, and you want to stay there as long as possible.

Of course, then she dumps your ass because you're way too emotionally intense, but at least you weren't a lying horndog just trying to get into her pants.
User avatar
jbrecken
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:56 pm

Re: all generalizations are false.

Postby Fleurdelys on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:41 pm

jbrecken wrote:
mabarosi wrote:It's annoying when they say "I love you" after only knowing you for a few days because you KNOW they are only trying to have sex with you.


Not always. Sometimes you just know, despite the fact that you barely know her and it makes no sense on a logical level, (but heck, whoever said this was logical?) that she is the one, the place where your heart lives, and the more you get to know her, the more sense it makes as every little fold of her personality just meshes so well, and it's there with every little touch of her hand or her smile in your eyes, it's not a lustful wanting, it's an emotional peace of mind thing where you just know that when you hold her you are Truly Home, and you want to stay there as long as possible.

Of course, then she dumps your ass because you're way too emotionally intense, but at least you weren't a lying horndog just trying to get into her pants.


My dad once told me "Les femmes deviennent amoureuses, les hommes tombent en amour." Translation : women learn to love, men fall in love. I don't think most guys will tell a girl they love her just to sleep with her. If a guy tells me he loves me, good for him. Just as long as he doesn't ask me to tell him. I won't tell him unless I'm completely, absolutely 100% sure that the feelings I have for him are more than lust, desire or attraction. I like to think that others think the same, maybe I'm wrong. Bah, I'm married, what do I have to worry about? :roll:
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
User avatar
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Longueuil, QC, Canada

Postby AcemacA on Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:36 am

Man, here's another bloody game:

On the one hand: "It's annoying when they say "I love you" after only knowing you for a few days because you KNOW they are only trying to have sex with you."

On the other hand: "He just won't say I love you? Does he feel anything?"

Gah! Soldier! Kill Julia Roberts as well as Hugh Grant.
There's a differnce between image-searching for "kitty" and imagesearching for.. er.. something else.
User avatar
AcemacA
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:40 am

Sorry, couldn't resist

Postby HiFranc on Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:08 am

When I read this I couldn't help but think of a strip in Clan of the Cats.

First of all: Chelsea is a woman who turns into a panther when she gets stressed:

Dangerous game
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
User avatar
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4090
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England

 

Return to Queen of Wands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests