Book Thread

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Postby xxavierJones on Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:50 pm

i think by far, the best book i've ever read is "the eyre affair" by Jasper Fforde. he's managed to combine a mystery plot with a lot of sci-fi elements, and refences to classical british literature. PLUS the main character has a pet dodo. how cool is that?
xxavierJones
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Fatty on Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:20 am

I feel like all of my knowledge of fantasy novels has been stolen leaving me only with non-fantasy stuff, anyway here's a few of my favorites:
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
How to Lose Friends and Alienate People (A Memoir) by Toby Young
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (Note: The original British one with 21 chapters as opposed to the first American one with only 20, the American one totally screws the ending)
and The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, the first one The Gunslinger isn't the best but it gets better so if the idea seems intersting, just stick with it!
-Fatty
"Everyone's a little queer, why can't she be a little straight?"
Fatty
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ashley Keen on Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:34 am

A few of my favorites:

Robert Jordan (WoT *drool* XD)
Mercedes Lackey
L. E. Moddesett Jr.
Orson Scott Card (Ender = teh win)
CS Lewis
Tolkien (LOTR only, all else is crap ^^; )
Garth Nix
Tamora Pierce
(and of course)
JKRowling

Peirs Anthony seems to be alright as well, as far as writing style goes, but if random sex in books turns you off, I'd put a big red sticker across anything he writes XP XD As a very wise person once told me, "His recent works have degenerated into 'The story of boobs and the men who love them'" XP

Also... I'm dying to get into some Marrion Zimmer-Bradley and I haven't yet.

Can anyone suggest any titles of hers to start with?

Oh and I can't abide Anne McHaffery XP *kills all the Dragons in Pern* XD
Ashley Keen
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby UU8 on Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:16 am

I picked up some Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover books. it was a paperback of a few books called Saga of the Renunciates.

it kinda turned me off that the book almost felt like it was "for women only" i mean you couldn't find a single strong male character in the whole thing. i love books with strong female characters, but her darkover books (or maybe just this particular set) was a little too much for me. then again i had no idea what i was getting into! (the chick on the cover looked hot! doh!)

i have the feeling that particular set of books isn't really representative of the whole though.

edit/update thingy: currently about 1/3 into the 3rd book of the rhaps trilogy, and boy had i forgotten how much of an emotional rollercoaster that 2nd book was. if Hayden plays the harp half as well as she plays the heart strings, she could retire the author gig and be a world class um.. harpist.
UU8
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fleurdelys on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:56 am

I'm a French teacher in a French province, so I don't read a lot of English litterature. I enjoy it, though, and I'd spend a little more time concentrating to read an original English version of a good book than waiting a year to read a crappy French translation (HP took 8 months here to be in French, and... bah).

I have discovered Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, though. Read them in French first, then my husband got me the English version and I read them at least three or four times since then.

Being formed in French and history, I have a thing for historical books. Therefore, I quickly fell in love with Jean Auel's books (I think it's the Children of the Earth, but I'm not sure... Les Enfants de la Terre in French).

I'm also a short stories reader. I read them, eat them, and write them. All authors.

Of course, I have a great number of French writers I love, but unless someone asks for it, I won't list them here.
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:58 pm

Any short stories to recommend?

Speaking of, what did I do with that book? It looks like it has disappeared... Oh wait. There is it. It's just buried. :)
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fleurdelys on Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:00 pm

I have a lot of writers to recommend... Sadly, i don't know much in English. I had an English class in college. The teacher made us buy The Art of Short Fiction by Garry Geddes (but by different writers). I liked it, but it's sadly the only short stories I've read. Margaret Atwood's Hairball was hilarious. Poe is something, too, but it's no use mentionning him, everyone knows him. Forget the classics, though, The cask of Amontillado beats them all.
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:41 pm

I guess I should have put two and two together on that one. :oops:

Yeah Poe is good. You just can't beat him for wierd horror.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fleurdelys on Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:12 pm

Bah, honest mistake, I do read English stuff, there's just not a lot, and you have to drive a bit, or go on Amazon, to get an English book.

We have this guy named Hugues Corrieau here, who is a genius in writing weird stuff. He write really short stories, though (they usually never are longer than a book page long), but it's enough to give shivers. He's not translated, though, so you'd need a few French basics to read him.

edit : Hugues Corriveau, typo. Let's not destroy good authors' names. :P
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:42 pm

Or a friend who speaks French who might not be adverse to translating them.
I wonder what it would take to bribe her?
(I'm actually thinking of a friend who lives in New Orleans, and who, oddly enough also reads this comic.)

Then there is Babelfish which is always fun.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ashley Keen on Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:20 pm

Ambystoma4 wrote:Then there is Babelfish which is always fun.

XD and almost never makes sense, as I found out MUCH to my Chagrin in high school when I tried to use it to create a Spanish assignment XD *grin*
Ashley Keen
Keenspotter Supreme

weird horror

Postby jbrecken on Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:44 pm

Ambystoma4 wrote:Yeah Poe is good. You just can't beat him for wierd horror.

Lovecraft can do weirder.
jbrecken
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:19 pm

I haven't ready any Lovecraft yet, so I can't really compare.

Between the two of them Poe just feels more modern while Lovecraft looks to be more fantasy.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ashley Keen on Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:08 am

Ambystoma4 wrote:
Between the two of them Poe just feels more modern while Lovecraft looks to be more fantasy.

I concurr.

Poe is the undisputed god of the short horror story. *nod*

The short Fantasy story... now THAT's up for grabs. I like Ursula LeGuin and Mercedes Lackey myself. but there aren't really many classic fantasy short stories (Unless you count the Grimm fairy tales -- but those are a category unto themselves. Incidentally, if you HAVEN'T read them (the real ones, not padded down childrens stories) you should hit yourself for your lack of culture and then check them out from the local library XD)
Ashley Keen
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to Queen of Wands