What are your favorites?

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

What are your favorites?

Postby B5 Girl on Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:19 pm

Hey, guys...

Due to the nicknames thread, people know my nickname comes from the fact that I like Babylon 5. Other people have commented that they like the show, which led me to wonder what other shows, movies, books, etc. that the people around here like. Obviously we all like Queen of Wands (otherwise you wouldn't be reading this :wink: ), but I was wondering what all else we like that we might have in common.

So, I suggest that we see what everyone is interested in, and maybe why. Call it curiosity. I'll be first ^_^

Obviously, Babylon 5 is my favorite show. It has an indepth story that usually has many layers weaving through it at any one time.

M*A*S*H is another great show. My dad got me hooked on that one when I was in junior high.

Hm, movies...I really liked Love Actually and Spirited Away. Two completely different movies, I know, but I have a wide range of tastes.

And books? Well, that's easy. I adore the Terry Prachett novels. They're hilarious, with just enough seriousness to make you love and feel for the characters.

Hope to see what you all have to say!
B5 Girl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fleurdelys on Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:40 pm

I don't watch much TV, I grew up to books and music, and a bit of Sesame Street. We do have a few good shows I like to watch once in a while here in Qu
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:37 pm

I don't use my TV for very much. In fact, the only reason that I even have one is because of Gran Turismo 3, and Adult Swim if I had cable.
I do catch Scrubs and Law and Order every now and then, and I used to watch the X-Files when it was on.

Currently I'm in the middle of reading a mystery short story anthology, and I just picked up a Sherlock Holmes anthology that I'm going to start after the short stories. There are also various technical books related to computers that I pick up everynow and then, but they're only interesting if your a geek like that. :)

As far as movies go, my tastes run towards bad b-movies that my friends and I can adlib to.

I'm a really big music fan which is what takes up most of my time. Lots of indie, some hardcore, lots of rock, a little bit of Jazz. I'm all over the place basically.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby B5 Girl on Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:12 am

I tend to listen to about every kind of music there is. I like things from hard rock to classical, pop to new age.

I tend to be teased a lot because of my favorite musician. I really like Yanni. I've even seen him in concert twice. I think his music is beautiful, and believe it or not, I heard he will be playing the opening music for the Olympics this year since they will be held in Athen. It makes me sooooooo happy! :D
B5 Girl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Subbie on Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:41 am

Simpsons.
End of story.
Subbie

Subbie wrote:BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT WORTHY ENOUGH TO TALK TO HER!

MeltingCinderella wrote:*cries*
Subbie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:44 am

I think the Simpsons have lost something in the past couple of years. The Family Guy is where it's at.

Yanni!? :)
That's cool. He's not bad. I really respect his compositional skills; people who can do that always amaze me.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gargoyle on Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:31 pm

FIREFLY!!!! Best dang television show ever created! Yes I am obsessed with it. It is the only show I have bought of DVD (so far, may start picking up the B5 seasons).

I am a voracious reader of books. My current fav author is L.E.Modesitt Jr. His science fiction is amazing, and the fantasy he writes is very well done.

And yes, as my nic suggest, I have thing for gargoyles. Have at least a dozen different gargoyles in my room.
"A country that stands for peace but that will go to war for a cause when it's righteous and a friend when it's in need, but go quietly and grimly, because it doesn't like killing, even in a good cause. But fight Canada will and none better."
Gargoyle
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kia on Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:23 pm

Well, other then Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens:) :P, my favorite tv Shows include Angel (Great piece of drama about the fight between good and evil), Firefly(A Western in Space) and Dead like Me(What if dying was the start of your life instead of the end?).

As for movies, my favorite is Beauty and the beast(ok, go ahead and laugh, but I love it) But I'll watch anything as long as its good. In the past week I've seen The road home again and Spiderman.

Authors I'm not for certain. I really need to read more, but I like Orson Scott Card, Peter David, Robin Hobbs (Her Farseer trilogy is the best), and more, but I haven't read that much, so my list is mainly old authors.

Oh and Blue's my favorite color :)
kia
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fleurdelys on Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:16 pm

Blue rules :P

And I'm still trying to convince my hubby that Beauty and the Beast is a good movie. He's still stuck on the Lion King.

Animal? Nobody talked about animals yet... Of course we could start the cat/dog fight, but that's useless (everybody knows cats are too darn full of themselves to even try to LOOK more intelligent than dogs, which they are), so I'll just say that rats rule. Mine is sooooo nice.
Generalia Procrastinitis Grava is a very bad disease affecting the motivational skills in the right half of the brains of some of the most hard working persons, transforming them in the laziest sloths. I am a victim. -me
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby B5 Girl on Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:39 pm

I must admit, I really liked The Lion King. One of my favorite Disney movies. But Beauty and the Beast is definately up in the top five. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but their version of Hercules, though incorrect on its renditions of Greek mythology, was a very well done movie. Very cute and funny.

I love cats, but one of my favorite pets I ever owned was my ferret named Miko. He was soooo cute! Unfortunately, the apartments I moved into about a year after I got him wouldn't let me keep him (the owner of the apartments was afraid of ferrets) so I gave him to a friend who allready had a couple of them. He's very happy now, so that's good. I like rats, too, but I can't afford any pets for a while, so no rat for me :cry: .

Oh, and I saw the new Spider Man movie. Wow. I've seen it twice now, and I think it was even better than the first one. I think the guy they got to play Doctor Octopus was amazing. Handsome, too. *blush* What, a girl is allowed to her opinion, isn't she? Huh? Huh? :wink:
B5 Girl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:46 pm

I think Beauty and the Beast is the best film Disney has released in years.

I like cats, even though I don't have one right now. There is just something cool about how they are mini-predators. I was watching the discovery channel special about cats marveling at how easily they can kill things, and the show was just focusing on domestic cats. I was sitting there thinking that luckily the cat I had at the time wasn't ten times larger.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fleurdelys on Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:38 pm

Hehe, predators. Oh yeah, cats bring GIFTS on the door step. Very adorable. *shudders*

And haha, no, it's a good thing that they're small, otherwise they'd rule the world. My friend has a cat that uses its FINGERS to pick up its dry food and bring it to its mouth. Rule the world, I tell you.

And Spiderman IS good, and yes, Doctor Octopus is handsome, in some way. Doesn't beat Tobey, but handsome, intelligent brown eyed men do have a certain charm.
Fleurdelys
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby B5 Girl on Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:14 pm

Yes, I agree, if cats could they would take over the world. Truth be told, I think they may have a chance in the not so distant future. A group of friends, along with myself, were walking through a park when a strange but very friendly cat aproached us. We started playing with it when we saw something that made our hair stand on end: the cat had toes that looked like oposable thumbs on its front two paws. I'm not kidding! They were on the inside of the feet, higher up on the paw so that they were not lined up with the others, and could bend fairly easily. Luckily the cat couldn't manipulate them seperately, but still, give it a few generations. *shudder*

And yes, brown eyed, tall, intelligent men are very attractive. I tend to find myself attracted to the older sort, though, about 10 years my senior or older. Tobey is cute, but just not my type. Maybe if he was a few years older...*shakes her head* What is it with me liking men in their late 30's and 40's? I'm only 25, damn it! I should like men closer to my age, but nooooo...I find them to be too immature for my tastes :-? There are a few exceptions, like my boyfriend who is 26, but not many.
B5 Girl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:41 pm

The cat was a polydact, it has an extra toe above it's normal paw.
Just interesting information.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby tankus on Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:47 pm

Mmmhhh since I didn't opened a TV to look at a TV show for now about 2 years, I couldn't tell... I never looked at any shows unless my parents had the TV opened or someone else was wathing it. Soooo I couldn't have any choices in recent TV shows.

I really love Star Trek Voyager thought, I check this once or twice per month when my dad is watching it. Yup that would be my favorite, else than that... I don't know.

For anything else, I think your quesiton is too vague... :-?
-If a friend has problems, you try to solve them... When a real friend have a problem, you live it with him...

-tankus
tankus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Thenodrin on Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:04 am

On TV:

I'm really enjoying Joe Schmoe 2. If you are tired of having to avoid "reality" shows on the popular networks, take a look at the reality show parody that Spike has going on. It even manages to be the kind of parody where you don't have to know the source to get all the jokes.

On music:

I've recently been exposed to The Corrs. I'm also a big fan of Fozzy, TMBG, Imperial Drag, Radio Active Cats, and Jim Steinman.

(I was recently listening to an old Genesis CD and my roommate said, "OMG! You're listening to something that I've heard before!" So, if you don't recognize any of the artists, that'd be my fault.)

Theno
Thenodrin
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Flameoftheabyss on Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:14 pm

TV?! Who needs TV?! *hugs computer*

Oh, reading is the way to go too.

Ok, seriously, I hardly watch much TV, but when I do, it's National Geographic (don't laugh). :x
Flameoftheabyss
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:10 pm

My TV is just an accessory to my playstation now.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fatty on Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:11 am

I'm noticing something similar in the whole "don't watch too much TV thing" but neither do I except reruns of DS9 and Seven Days when they're on, but other than that i enjoy watching the IFC, reading books by Chuck Palahniuk and Nick Hornby as well as acting, like I'm doing Rocky Horror Picture Show in my hometown. I'm the youngest person in the cast and I'm playing the Criminologist. It's pretty funny. I listen to a lot of music, and many varieties but I tend to stick into more Weezer-esque styles of music. And of course I read way too many webcomics. Anyway, there's the expository peice on my life. Fatty out.
"Everyone's a little queer, why can't she be a little straight?"
Fatty
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:09 pm

Fatty wrote:I tend to stick into more Weezer-esque styles of music.

And you have a line from Pink Triangle in your signature. 8)

Anyway welcome to the club.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fatty on Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:48 pm

Yeah, Pinkerton is my favorite Weezer album. Plus, I just think that line is really funny.
Fatty
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:38 pm

I've dedicated that song to a friend of mine because... well, he's an idiot. Hitting on girls that have girlfriends. ::rollseyes::
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fatty on Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:57 pm

sounds pretty funny. Whenever he thinks about hitting on a girl do you bring these happenings up? Because I sure would.
Fatty
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:24 pm

No. It's just whenever that song is played we laugh at him.

We quit talkng to him after a while because he's a moron and would do things that were just dumb. Think of Farva from Super Troopers, and you'll get his general personality.
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fatty on Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:23 am

reminds me of a friend of mine. He used to live by me and once I didn't feel like hanging out with him but he wouldn't leave I was holding back the door yelling at him but he still wouldn't leave. It went on for 10 minutes. He does stupid stuff as well, like lighting his hair on fire.
Fatty
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Queen of Wands