Nicknames

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Postby Blue/Black on Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:35 pm

Not sure really. Bored of my usual nicks (WhiteChocolate or opinion8ed2)
and couldn't think of anything else.

My favorite colors. Throw a slash in the middle. It looks cool, at least. :roll:
OmG LyKE KEsTrEL iS So00ooo HaWt!
Blue/Black
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby blueblack on Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:32 pm

Pleasure to meet you. Perhaps I shall call you Slash. Perhaps not...

I always think I come up with stupid nicknames. When I was a kid I never let anyone call me by a nickname, and now I can't think of anything I like.

Once upon a time (3 years or so ago) a fair maiden arrived in a kingdom. Well, it wasn't so much a kingdom. More of a college theater club. And she did teach them strange new songs. One ditty was sung to a tune already known in the kingdom, "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." But the maiden knew different lyrics. Lyrics like
As one blue bug bled blue-black blood the other black bug bled blue
Glory, Glory to the blue bug

The people did not know what to make of the foreign song. They knew the meanings of the words, but they were puzzled. How could there be an "other black bug" if no black bug had been mentioned before? So they would incorporate a hand gesture into the singing of the song. Also, they found that the song was not easy to sing. It...twisted the tongue, some might say. So in the chorus to the song, they would sing "Glory, Glory to the fucking bug" to elucidate their disapproval.

And they all lived happily ever after.
res severa verum gaudium
blueblack
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Irish Witch on Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:40 am

Arnoturoth wrote:Mine is dirived from the Celtic language and it means "beautiful",

My E-mail is Gaelic (hey hi. That's right I have Irish heritage, I hope if you'r a scott that you don't pound on me)

My handle here is obvious after that... Although by witch I don't mean 'wiccan'. I have a different opinion of what a witch is, and it has nothing to do with religeon or Gods..... Allows me to call myself a 'christian witch' and confuse the hell out of everyone!!
Irish Witch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RavenxDrake on Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:12 am

My nick is one that I've had for... well, nearly a decade now, ever since it got into Onlineness.

I ran thorugh a series of nicknames on various things, most of them some variation of Raven or Shrike, until I came across something special. I love the works of Michael Moorecock, especially his Elric saga. And some time ago, I found an anthology of stories written by various SciFi and fanasy authors featureing Elric, called Tales of the White Wolf(one of his appelations). One of the stories features Elric being seduced by the Queen of all Dragons, and her concieving a child by him named Lucifer.

This became my first ever online roleplay character, Luciver
Emmense arsenal... that's funny.
What? Does my arsenal look big in these pants.
RavenxDrake
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Blue/Black on Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:38 am

blueblack wrote:Pleasure to meet you. Perhaps I shall call you Slash. Perhaps not...

dammit I'm not original. Should have just stuck with one of my old screen names. Forgivest me for stealing thine name. At least you have a semi-legible story as to why you chose it. I was just bored with my old names and happened to be wearing the colors blue and black. :P
OmG LyKE KEsTrEL iS So00ooo HaWt!
Blue/Black
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TZA on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:57 am

My name is an abbreviation of 'The Zookeeper's Apprentice', a nickname I picked up a few years ago when I was doing a lot of volunteer work at a zoo and being mentored by the animal curator. It's a twist on the title of a Laurie King book, 'The Beekeeper's Apprentice'.

Orthanc and Amblystoma, I *love* your usernames. I'm a serious 'Rings' fan, so I was grinning when I saw that one, and I have a passion for amphibians, so that was really cool to see. Axolotls are very cool. Very interesting paedomorphs. Wonder what causes them to stay like that?
Normal is only a setting on the washing machine
TZA
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Ambystoma4 on Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:53 pm

Probably the same thing that keeps most males immature. :D
Ambystoma4
Keenspot Despot

Postby TZA on Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:35 pm

Sometimes I wonder... :lol:
Normal is only a setting on the washing machine
TZA
Junior Keenspotter

Postby TreeHuggingHippie on Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:10 am

Last year, I got my first real best friend, and I would call him Wolfie because of his love for wolves and his frigtening resemblance of one. Then, one day while we were walking from class, I hugged a tree just for the heck of it. He looked at me and said, "You tree hugging hippie." And my nickname was born. We dummed it down to THH, though but I didn't want to use that as my name here. Also, the fact that there's this character running around here named "Communist Trees" prompted me to use that name though I don't use it anywhere else (I usually incorporate the word "poet" in my nicknames). I just thought it'd be a cute parallel.
"Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop." --Anita Blake, "The Laughing Corpse"
TreeHuggingHippie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Spookeedoom on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:30 pm

Okay, time for my story (granted it's also my first post, I think, so it's kind of fitting)-
A long long time ago (well, really about 1990), I was attending a Southern Baptist Private School. This school had uniforms that I felt no need to wear, except the black ones.
Now, in this school, if anyone looked like me (hair down to the shoulders and ironed straight, dressed in black clothes and leather jacket and chain-wallets all the time), they were labelled a Goth. Secretly, I was flattered, but externally, I acted insulted. A friend of mine at the school started telling people that my name was 'Spooky', and it stuck.
In the Y2K, I decided to join an ethereal/Celtic-infused Gothic Rock band (similar to Faith and the Muse and Black Tape for a Blue Girl), the lead guitarist of the band added on the 'doom' to my Nick and it stuck for the tenure of my bandship.
Mostly, when asked, I tell people I'm called 'Spookee' cuz I'm not.

-Last night I thought I saw you staring, staring at the stars...
"God's killin' lots of kittens cuz of me"

-=formerly SpookeeP, lost in the Great Redeployment of 05... or was it 06?=-
Spookeedoom
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Pips on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:21 pm

Lord of the Rings. Heh.

I read it when I was twelve, or something. Got online, and called myself "pipsqueak" because Pippin and Merry were my favorites, and Mersqueak was a lame name. I became a bit notorious on a LotR site, and people would either call me Pip or Pips. I insisted on Pips, because a - no one calls Pippin Pips, and b - s makes it female, in my mind at least. It's stuck. Everyone online calls me Pips, and usually any name I have will be a version of that.
Highly Dubious, a rather uncertain site? >> please join...
Pips
Keenspotter Supreme

Welcome

Postby HiFranc on Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:06 am

Welcome to Queen of the Wands and the forums thereof, spookee.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Isios on Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:33 am

Totally made up name. pronounced Is-E-os. Have used it for years now in gaming and other things =)
Isios
Junior Keenspotter

^_^

Postby Koukonei_crazy on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:58 am

My best friend calls me Koukonei. It means Courtney in hawiian and it sounds a lot better than Courtney :P
~*Koukonei*~
Koukonei_crazy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Vlegeltje on Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:12 pm

Vlegeltje is a Dutch nickname, which can't be really well translated.
I asked someone with English roots to have a go, he came up with:

little rascal
mudlark!
snotnosed dickens!
brat
jackanapes
sprout
whippersnapper
suckling

But all those have more of a negative sound to them. In Dutch we use 'tje' behind a word to show it's little or small. (broer -> brother, broertje -> little brother)
In this matter it's my way of showing that I'm not really being bad, I'm just quick-witted in a sweet way. Or the word naughty, in the way it's used with kids stealing cookies out of the jar, might fit.
Vlegeltje
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bananas_in_hotpants on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:26 pm

I dunno why I always use bananas in my name, but I was thinking of bananas in pajamas, and thought, why do they need pjs all the time! And it was a strange image.
By the way, hi, I'm new, this is my first post, and hi.
The bananas got bored of pajamas.
bananas_in_hotpants
Junior Keenspotter

Welcome

Postby HiFranc on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:42 pm

Welcome to the forum and the comic, bananas_in_hotpants.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Fei on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:04 am

Fei is the name of Fei Fong Wong, from Xenogears, my all time favorite RPG. Tho it's been years since I used Fei as my nickname. Usually use Kaziel these days. It's my name of my mage characters in MMOs (Kaziel the Hume Red Mage in FFXI and Kaziel the Human Mage in WoW). The origin of Kaziel was in a short story I never finished. The basis of the story was a different take on why Lucifer rebelled against God. Instead of him being jealous or prideful, Lucifer disagreed with God over a very specific point: That a person should be judged soley based on their actions, not whether or not they are faithful to Judeo-Chirstian beliefs. Kaziel was an angel who sided with Lucifer, and both pre- and post-rebellion his duty was to view a person's soul and see with sins he or she had done, and how faithful they had been in their life.
Caydiem wrote:RlrlrlRLRLLRLGRLGRLGlglglglgl!

...there's no real good way to put that into text form.

In reference to the sounds Murlocs make in WoW, on the Plush Murloc Petition! thread on the WoW forums.
Fei
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby gwalihir on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:39 am

Love reading about how people came up with their nicks!

Mine was both easy and deep: straight from LotR, Gwalihir is the eagle who rescued Gandalf, first in "The Hobbit," from Orcs and Wargs burning down the trees, then from Orthanc, where Saruman held him, and later, right after his fight with the Balrog. He also rescued Frodo and Sam from the cracks of Mt Doom.

The way I see it, Gwalihir didn't do all that much besides rescuing Gandalf: yet Gandalf, because he survived, made an incredible impact almost everywhere he went on the battle to save Middle Earth. Where would they have been without Gandalf? And where would Gandalf have been if not for Gwalihir?

Gwalihir is my reminder that our smallest actions can have major consequences. Not all can lead the battle, but all can have an influence on the outcome. It gives me hope for our world.
gwalihir
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to Queen of Wands