QoW Update - comic for 03/22

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Postby Mike the Insane on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:40 am

how the Hell did I know that

I have begun to suspect that knowledge starts to move by osmosis when you work too much in retail. I'm still trying to figure out how many appearance books I put up before I found that I suddenly knew enough about make-up to critique a persons applcation of it and tell them what they had done wrong. I had not read any of these books, I do not wear make-up, and had never been interested in it, yet that knowledge was suddenly there.

It is really frightening when someone comes in looking for a book with a bluecover they saw here a few weeks ago and you actually find it. Especially when it turns out that the book had a red cover with blue letters on the front only(the spine, which was the only part of the book showing, had White letters.)

I also find it strange that it tends to be the customers with the most information who are most apologetic about not having enough information and are most accepting when you can't find it. Its like ignorance has contaminated their entire perspective(i.e. I don't know what I'm looking for, therefore I lose all knowledge of the fact that I don't have enough information, and I lose all capacity to see things from someone else's perspective.)
http://www.cheshire-grin.net
Normal is a four-letter word. Anyone who can't understand this smple fact should get out of my universe.
Mike the Insane
Junior Keenspotter

Postby LemonyFreshEvil on Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:25 pm

bloodeye wrote:had similar problems when working in a video sroe, but for some reason never bothered me there. Think the camputer screens emit something that makes us grow psysic antenna or something.

"Yeah, I'm looking for that one movie, with the one guy, and monkeys?"

"Project X, Mathew Brodereck?(sp?) Family, third case, second shelf, near the middle."

"......uh, right. Thanks." *walks off*

*blinks* "How the *HELL* did I know that?!"

It happens very slowly. Almost as if there is a unseen cloud of knowledge in the air you can pull from.

Or you've just been working there long enough that you intimately know the location of anything in the store & can find it in the dark if need be.
LemonyFreshEvil
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ishy-wishy on Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:01 pm

A somewhat lengthy example of my day. Bear in mind, i work in the health care industry, specifically for a major insurance company. This is an example of a call I get at lest ten times a day, every day, for the past three years....

me: Thank you for calling *beep* Blue cross and blue shield, how may i help you?

them: Yes, i'd like to ask about an explanation of benefits i've recieved?

me: I'd be happy to help you with that today! May i ask you a few questions?

Them: uh.. sure..

(brief pause whilst i verify the info)

Me: Okay, now what was that date of service?

Them: June fifth, 2003.

Me: Uh huh. Okay i see it here, what can I answer for you on this?

Them: well, this here explanation says that i owe the doctor a ten dollar copay.

Me: That is correct.

Them: Well, i paid the doctor my copay at the office.

Me: That's fine. We have no knowledge of whether you have or you have not, so our explanations reflect the copay there, just in case.

Them: well, why are you people saying i owe ten dollars? I've already paid it.

Me: I understand that. Our explanation simply refers to the fact that you HAVE a copay, and that you would owe that, if you hadn't already paid it.

Them: I don't understand. This says i have a copay. But i've already paid my copay.

Me: In which case, you may just disregard that explanation.

Them: But it says i owe this!

Me: Okay, sir? Do you have the explanation in front of you?

Them: yes...

Me: Great. Now, if you look in the upper right hand corner, where it has your name and such, do you see it?

Them: yes..

Me: Perfect. Now, if you look at the fifth line from the top, it should say "Amount you to provider, if not already paid." Do you see that?

them: .........Oh..... *CLICK*

me: Hello? Sir? Hello? Have a nice day!
Ishy-Wishy
Tea and Cake or Death!?
Ishy-wishy
Junior Keenspotter

Previous

Return to Queen of Wands