QoW Update - comics for 3/10 and 3/12

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

QoW Update - comics for 3/10 and 3/12

Postby Aeire on Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:39 am

Are now posted, with the comic for 3/15 scheduled to be posted tomorrow afternoon. Go get yer FIX!
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:43 am

Alright, I gotta ask. What movie are they going to see? The Passion of the Christ? Is this a joke about her being a Wiccan?
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby DamnedEyez on Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:00 am

No idea, but she looks good in that outfit ;>
DamnedEyez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby IlGreven on Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:42 am

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:Alright, I gotta ask. What movie are they going to see? The Passion of the Christ? Is this a joke about her being a Wiccan?

It's a play on the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, Jesus Christ Superstar.

(When you room with a Musical Theater major in college, you get to know these things...then again, it's hard not to know a Webber musical...)
A GIGANTIC force on the 'Net, and even BIGGER in person!
IlGreven
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby crypto on Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:49 pm

Crusify Her!!!

Great costume.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby tankus on Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:15 pm

Me it's the last line that I loved: "...you're looking at about 50$ for my bar tab now." I so hate karaoke, maybe because I can't sing without a CPR procedure right after!
-If a friend has problems, you try to solve them... When a real friend have a problem, you live it with him...

-tankus
tankus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Godfather on Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:38 pm

Yeah, I'd really have to give credit to anyone singing Cab Caloway at Karaoke.
Sound effects: Not just for onomatopoeia anymore
Godfather
Junior Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:57 pm

1. Why is everyone making such a big deal of this movie? It's a movie, no more a documentary than The Ten Commandments. Besides, the book was better.

2. Maybe that bloke is one of those Idle Americans, I mean American Idols.

Godfather wrote:Yeah, I'd really have to give credit to anyone singing Cab Calloway at Karaoke.

Especially the scatting in the middle of the song: Scoobily-boo, scoobily-boo, scoobily-boobily-boobily-boo Not even gunna try to spell the next bit! Very nice Kestrel today. I <3 chokers.

PS It's karaoke, Kestrel. From the Japanese kara, empty, and okesutora, loaned from English 'orchestra'. Kara is also found in karate - 'empty hands'.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haesslich on Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:46 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:1. Why is everyone making such a big deal of this movie? It's a movie, no more a documentary than The Ten Commandments. Besides, the book was better.

2. Maybe that bloke is one of those Idle Americans, I mean American Idols.

1. The big deal is that people have died watching this movie, and others compare it to a relgious experience. Going to the theater dressed like that is probably akin to walking into a church full of people who want to worship and openly mocking their beliefs before pissing in the font and bumping and grinding against the icon of Christ in said church. Aka 'sacriligeous, drives people to murder in the name of their beliefs, etc'.

2. At least he didn't do any Tina Turner. "I'm your private dancer/Dancing for money/Doing what you want me to do..."

Mmm... Lick a Witch... :evil:
Haesslich
Keenspot Despot

Postby squiddy on Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:22 pm

This is crazy...and you guys probably don't care but boo hoo to you.

So recently I commented on SP that I saw a Randy look a like at the bar Friday night and turns out he's Holly (my friend and coworker)'s boyfriend.

So Friday night was Karaoke and the girl who was doing it was drunk off her ass and kept blabbing on the mike and I didn't get to hear many people sing while I was there and left early. But before I left, Jedi, the Randy look a like, got up and sang.

He did that exact song that the random dude in this comic is singing and he did SUCH an awesome job! I guess Jedi was in the Karaoke contest at another bar on Saturday and won and another time got second so now he's in the finals. Sweet.

But yeah..I thought that was crazy. I had to show my sister (who doesn't understand my obsession with all these "comic things") the strip because I was freaking out.

LIEK OMG THE COMIC..Liekk..Aeire, R U following me?! Liek it's juuust like my life! omg now I gotta dress up liek kestrel and go to the Christ-y movie! OMG YAY

/sarcasm. But still, it was cool.
Insert incredibly witty/hilarious/inspirational signature here.
squiddy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Starman Matt on Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:03 am

I LOVED these two strips and have some stories of my own to relate.

1. My friends and I have discussed doing something similarly foolish at a "Passion of the Christ" showing. Among our ideas...

* Mystery Science Theater 3000 commentary
* sneaking in some stage blood and faking a stigmata.
* simply shouting "This part isn't in the book!"
* a Rocky Horror style AP show with an "leather loincloth" clad Jesus being whipped by a Roman dominatrix (she'd have a centurion helmet!)

All these ideas were abandoned, however, after it was pointed out that we live in Texas and did not want to die.

2. I got dragged to a karoke bar by a friend who IS rather a decent singer. After half an hour, it became quickly apparent that the place was a COUNTRY karoke bar, with lots of Garth and Reba songs being done. Thankfully, there was a much larger selection than that in the DJ's selection and I managed to clear the bar and send all the rednecks home by doing an Issac Hayes impression (I'm 5'9 and white as the day is long) while singing "Simultaneous Loving" from "South Park". Shame he didn't have any good Weird Al songs....
"Starman" Matt Morrison
Writer of Looking To The Stars and 144 Anima.
Check out our NEW home at The Nexus.
Starman Matt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:12 am

Have yet to see The Passion movie. Keep meaning to go, but times I have the time, turns out some local church has bought up all the tickets already. Supose will just wait for the DVD like I do with most movies.

Have done karaoke, and rather enjoyed it. Of course, helps to actually know the song lyrics before they pop up on screen, and be familiar with what it means to be on key. I'm sure most of the folks up there are having fun, but really, couldn't there be some way to turn the mic off if they really deserve it?
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:53 am

Haesslich wrote:1. The big deal is that people have died watching this movie, and others compare it to a relgious experience.

People have died watching cricket matches, and compared them to religious experiences too. Whoopee.

Haesslich wrote:Going to the theater dressed like that is probably akin to walking into a church full of people who want to worship and openly mocking their beliefs before pissing in the font and bumping and grinding against the icon of Christ in said church. Aka 'sacriligeous, drives people to murder in the name of their beliefs, etc'.

Most people who see that movie are just ordinary movie-goers, and don't care one way or the other. It's like wearing a Federation uniform to a Star Trek movie, nothing worse than that. Are there really that many fundamentalists in the USA, or are they just very loud?
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeire on Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:17 am

GrassyNoel wrote:Are there really that many fundamentalists in the USA, or are they just very loud?

They tend to be VERY outspoken about their beliefs, yes.
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Postby Starman Matt on Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:30 am

Classic example of the vocal minority, aye.
"Starman" Matt Morrison
Writer of Looking To The Stars and 144 Anima.
Check out our NEW home at The Nexus.
Starman Matt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby crypto on Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:44 pm

Starman Matt wrote:

Classic example of the vocal minority, aye.

And yet the religios comunety keeps getting shouted down in other arenas. (Step back Crypto, this is not the place for that rant)

Personaly, I wouldn't care if some one showed up at the theater dressed as JC, ether in Superstar mode of "authentic".

But then I'm a Lutheran, and not a hard core Cathlic like my one friend. Who's mother, oddly BANED her from seeing Passion.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby ShadowFox on Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:07 pm

I have no desire to go see a movie made the SUPER FUNDIE that is Mel Gibson. I saw "The Last Temptation of Christ"(not in theaters) years ago, and I recall there being all sorts of outcry against it from both Christians and Jews. Now all the sudden it is different, and the "PASSION" is a fundie joygasm and the pinnacle of the religious message :roll: . I have already read enough on the movie to know it contains some fairly serious historical errors. Top it off with Mel's old man making comments like "THe Holocaust is a Jewish Conspiracy" and other crap like that.

As far as Karaoke goes I doubt anyone would ever get me on stage with out some kind of cash bribe. Whenever I think of it I either get flashes of "RUSH HOUR 2" or that little asian guy on American Idol that some how has become insanely popular due to his terrible performance.

P.S. - The fundementalist movement in this country is bigger than you think. They promote all sorts of crap like "Creationist Science"......they make me so angry. :evil:
Well Class a girl answered a math question correctly... you know what that means?? SHE'S A WITCH!!!! - Puritan Teacher
ShadowFox
Junior Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:30 pm

Feh, religion's funny, espically when 'adapted' by the common masses. Like this Wendsday, I doubt most people will have the foggiest idea why I'll be wearing orange. No, it's not something I'm really into, but on occasion it helps someone to realize what an idiot they're acting like, and thus is worth the effort.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:18 am

That's evil. I like it.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby bloodeye on Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:59 am

Heh. Thank you. Now only problem is that Mom wants to borrow my orange outfit. I know better; have seen how she takes care of her own stuff. No way going to get ahold of mine.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby bohr on Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:05 am

-Crucifixion?
-Yes.
-Good. Line on the left, one cross each.

bohr
bohr
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:08 am

Aeire wrote:
GrassyNoel wrote:Are there really that many fundamentalists in the USA, or are they just very loud?

There's a reason why the southern states are called the "Bible Belt."

Orange on St. Patty's Day? Oooooo... you're risking a lot there. I had a teacher once who swore she'd hate any students who did that. Some of the more aggressive Irish might not take to kindly to such a scene, and might show you the error of your ways with big burley fists.

Frankly I don't care either way (I am Catholic, but my family's not Irish). I plan on staying in all day. Considering most of the peopple around here start getting drunk at 10 AM on this particular holiday, it might not be wise to leave the room...
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby DamnedEyez on Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:31 pm

Orange makes a helluva lot more sense than non-irish non-catholics wearing green and celebrating it just to drink.

Hell, part of my lineage is Irish Protestant, not to mentio still having some pagan beliefs...and people still don't understand why I refuse to 'celebrate' an Irish Catholic holy day. ::shrug::
DamnedEyez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ShadowFox on Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:27 am

Scotland Owns Ireland. :evil:
Well Class a girl answered a math question correctly... you know what that means?? SHE'S A WITCH!!!! - Puritan Teacher
ShadowFox
Junior Keenspotter

Postby tankus on Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:05 am

DamnedEyez wrote:Orange makes a helluva lot more sense than non-irish non-catholics wearing green and celebrating it just to drink.

Hell, part of my lineage is Irish Protestant, not to mentio still having some pagan beliefs...and people still don't understand why I refuse to 'celebrate' an Irish Catholic holy day. ::shrug::

OH! It's for the drinkin... :o Now that explain a lot!
-If a friend has problems, you try to solve them... When a real friend have a problem, you live it with him...

-tankus
tankus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Queen of Wands