QoW Update - comic for 03/01

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

QoW Update - comic for 03/01

Postby Aeire on Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:01 pm

is now up
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Postby squiddy on Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:03 pm

heh heh.. that was awesome. If she really wants them to steer clear of her, she could pretend its "that time of the month"

Funny stuff.
Insert incredibly witty/hilarious/inspirational signature here.
squiddy
Keenspotter Supreme

Interesting....

Postby Lurking Dragon on Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:52 pm

Once again we see that not even rabid fans can long resist the enticement of a cute redhead no matter what she says. *soft chuckle* Alas poor Kestrel must now fear that some will try to teach her to "Appreciate the hobbitses.".

Love the comic. It's good fun.
Lurking Dragon
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Sengirgoldfish on Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:53 pm

Yeah... The guy acting like Gollum, he's kinda freaky....
Jubliee- "How did you do that!"
Gambit - "With Style petite, with style."
Sengirgoldfish
Junior Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:35 pm

"Actually, I think Jar-jar was a wonderful addition to the Star War series. He fills such a key role in the dymanics of the serious, and is so wonderfully crafted, espically the attention to detail in his accent."

Might help to actually say 'LOL' or the like, but that could be pushing it.

And if any man tries to agree with the statement, kill them.
There may be a jury who would convict you for it, but we'll fight them all the way to Washington, if need be.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby DamnedEyez on Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:46 pm

Actually, I didn't have much problem with Jar Jar. Of course, I've only watched the movie once.
DamnedEyez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jeffro on Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:54 pm

Woo, five bucks, I could get Chipotle with that...great comic as always
Jeffro
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LemonyFreshEvil on Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:13 am

NEVER be suprised of the power of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's the geeks version of 'The Passion of the Christ.'

As for anything to do with Jar Jar, let's put it in the final perspective.
Jar Jar helped begin the clone wars (the vote in the council from ep 2 remember, unless the alcohol/drug/concussion from banging your head against the wall screaming "WHY?!?!" induced haze prevents such memories).

Before anyone jumps on me for the passion comment... I saw it when it first came out. I could barely keep from laughing at the opening scene as it looked very much like something out of the lord of the rings trilogy. Expecting Gollum to be bounding about by Jesus' side and one phrase going through my head

"Filthy Hobbits hurt the christ..."

The film would've been better if it wasn't for the drunk couple behind me talking throughout & trying to light the theater on fire.

Enjoyed the comic 8)

enough straying - for now
LemonyFreshEvil
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Paraboombo on Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:12 am

Sweet Comic, Aeire! Very nice.
Ave, GM, morituri te salutant.
Paraboombo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby tankus on Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:00 am

"WE CAN TEACH YOU AVOUTS THE HOBBITSES YEEEEEESSS"

Hehehehe, it's nice derpcounterfeits of gollum in the real world... I don't want to meat him!
-If a friend has problems, you try to solve them... When a real friend have a problem, you live it with him...

-tankus
tankus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby crypto on Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:11 am

Kes looks good with her hair up.

Ok on to the LoTR. I've seen two of the three so far, but I've read the Tolkin (or is it "en"?) novels they are based on. I don't say this often, but the movies where better then the books. The books where so hard to follow. . .

As for ST e1/2, JAR JAR MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FX where desent, but the Gungens sucked.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby Starman Matt on Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:41 am

Agreed. Don't get me wrong... I do appreciate the books and how Tolkien was one of the writers who helped to shape the modern fantasy genre not to mention inspiring Dungeons and Dragons. But Tolkien was not a storyteller... he was a historian. And his books read like history books.

There is little development of the characters and little insight into most of the character's emotions at any given time.... a whole whopping mass of page space devoted to describing what the mountains looked like as they marched through them, how there had been some great battle there many years ago...

And let's not forget the countless violations of the "show, don't tell" policy. There are many points in the books where we only know about something happening because a character says "Yes, well while you were schlepping about the Mirkwood and noticing the amazingly thick trees, I was....." Gandalf is specially guilty of this, having escaped from the tower of Isengard and slaying the Balrog off camera....
"Starman" Matt Morrison
Writer of Looking To The Stars and 144 Anima.
Check out our NEW home at The Nexus.
Starman Matt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby KittyKatya on Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:45 am

crypto wrote:Kes looks good with her hair up.

Ok on to the LoTR. I've seen two of the three so far, but I've read the Tolkin (or is it "en"?) novels they are based on. I don't say this often, but the movies where better then the books. The books where so hard to follow. . .

As for ST e1/2, JAR JAR MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FX where desent, but the Gungens sucked.

*sigh* Tolkien. You almost had it right, but you needed to combine them.

As to the books vs. the movies debate, I personally don't think one is better than the other because they're both rather different. Peter Jackson took much of the spirit of the books and condensed them as best he could and it still takes over 12 hours (once the extended RotK comes out) to get the full feeling of the novels. The books are wonderful because they're an entire mythology out of whole cloth, which is not an easy thing to accomplish. I've read the trilogy, the Simarillion, and the Hobbit at least 20 times each and every time there's something new to find.

And Jar Jar... well, he was annoying in the first one but there was something rather satisfying in realizing that he was the reason that the entire universe was plunged into war and darkness in the second film. :D
KittyKatya
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LemonyFreshEvil on Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:49 pm

KittyKatya wrote:Peter Jackson took much of the spirit of the books and condensed them as best he could and it still takes over 12 hours (once the extended RotK comes out) to get the full feeling of the novels.

Time to do some massive butt exercises before that set gets released.

squeeze... 1... squeeze... 2... squeeze... 3...
LemonyFreshEvil
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:19 am

Fanboys who prefer girls to sticking up for Lord of the Rings? Must be gay :)
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Noxy on Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:02 am

Starman Matt wrote:... But Tolkien was not a storyteller... he was a historian. And his books read like history books.

There is little development of the characters and little insight into most of the character's emotions at any given time.... a whole whopping mass of page space devoted to describing what the mountains looked like as they marched through them, how there had been some great battle there many years ago...

And let's not forget the countless violations of the "show, don't tell" policy. ....

Oh yah. :D

And if Lord of the Rings didn't give you enough dullness of a history book, try the Silmarillion. I've attempted digging through it in my last holidays and found it so mindnumbing that I kicked it out after page 60 or so and traded it for a less-epic, shallow Anne Rice novel.
While there's still quite a bit of emotion and action packed in the Lord of the Rings (somewhere distributed over the 1200+ pages), for me, the Silmarillion was eseentially bloodless. Virtually no character development, no emotions, no rationality that was in any way conceivable by the reader and just masses of names and facts.

I am sooo glad that Peter Jackson managed to shove LotR into a movie which is entertaining, grand, epic and marvelously filmed. And cut out on Tom Bombadil, Legolas' singing and the poetry of the Ents.
Noxy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Adam The Alien on Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:41 am

Personally, I found Tom Bombadil and the Old Forest to be one of my favorite parts of the books...but that's just me. I was also, after both Fellowship and TT, dissapointed at the lack of singing, but TT: Extended Edition and RotK made it all better again, singing-wise.

More on the topic of the comic, there are things that even the most incredibly attractive female could say that would make me view them in an ill light...it's happened before. I'd get over it in time, and still talk to them, but there are just some things that don't strike me as good.

Movie taste, however...well, Aeire had it spot-on. I've been trying to convince a girl I know to watch Donnie Darko. She's seen some of it in bits and pieces (due to the fact that I'd be playing it for people in my broadcast journalism class), but not nearly the whole thing (especially since she looks away every time Frank comes on the screen). The fact that she refuses to give it a chance, of course, only makes me more determined to convince her to see it. That's my version of defending a movie, really...I won't accept someone's opinion if they have not actually viewed the entire movie, and I will make them see the entire movie. If they've seen it all and still don't like it? Fine. Until that point, however, I'm a stubborn film fan...
Adam The Alien
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby tankus on Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Adam The Alien wrote:Movie taste, however...well, Aeire had it spot-on. I've been trying to convince a girl I know to watch Donnie Darko. She's seen some of it in bits and pieces (due to the fact that I'd be playing it for people in my broadcast journalism class), but not nearly the whole thing (especially since she looks away every time Frank comes on the screen). The fact that she refuses to give it a chance, of course, only makes me more determined to convince her to see it. That's my version of defending a movie, really...I won't accept someone's opinion if they have not actually viewed the entire movie, and I will make them see the entire movie. If they've seen it all and still don't like it? Fine. Until that point, however, I'm a stubborn film fan...

GODLEEDINGDANG STRAIGHT!!! I so hate people who just say "BORIIING" then go out right in the middle... WOULD YOU SHUT UP AND THEN SAY IT AFTERWARD LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE! (specialy my dad)
-If a friend has problems, you try to solve them... When a real friend have a problem, you live it with him...

-tankus
tankus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Queen of Wands