QoW Update - comic for 2/25

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

Postby tankus on Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:31 pm

request granted...

First: I made a lots of none material innuendo-ed joke

Second: I made a lot of other opinions that wasn't part of the main subject...

So here a little less confusing post:
Also, I don't want to search where it as been said in the forum, but one said that what we should do is get the relidiong out of the politics... (skip joke) I mean, our laws, in Canada and USA are based on religion, our scholarship etablishement are based our religious people (skip joke)

Okay, so somebody suggested that we get religion out of the politics... WE CAN'T DO THAT, laws are some kind of moral too... If we have laws that protects an employe for not being fired because the Boss doesn't like him for exemple, well its moral to have a laws that defends that. And I cannot make any statistics, but most people have their morals attached to religion mixed with personnal beliefs. So you cannot get religion out as I said...

Anyway, what we should really do is to get any taxes out of the union thingy, that's all ! It's not fair to forget what the love of our brothers and sisters have made to make our countries possible... So yes get married (or civil unioned) and adopt childrens!!! There are plenty of children who doesn't have a home, and if his two dads/moms love him, the little boy/girl WILL be happy and families can be made !! So yes that's mean I really don't like religion because of their opinion, the main message is love each other people...

OMG, I forgot plenty of sentences in there... Sorry I'm tired, I didn't even checked my post. Well what I meant, else than what you can make out of it, is that people get reduced taxes because they are united, right? Well i find it as discriminatory as not putting gay union legal! If people get married it's because they love each other, not because they want more money at the end of the year... And if you want a family, it's always possible, even if a solitary person wants to adopt a boy/girl and this solitary being won't have is cut taxes... The little ones wants to be loved and cared at, not put into a social family.* So get plugged to life people, you don't need a law to make people love each other, but you need GOOD laws to let them live that way!

Geez, I'm explainning myself lately, I should put my opinions through filters next time I'll come post things... And I think a made this post even worst to swallow. :oops:

*(sorry don,t how to say that: famille d'accueil. Where children are kept at if they don't have a family)
-If a friend has problems, you try to solve them... When a real friend have a problem, you live it with him...

-tankus
tankus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby verd99 on Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:44 am

[quote="tankus"]
Okay, so somebody suggested that we get religion out of the politics... WE CAN'T DO THAT, laws are some kind of moral too... If we have laws that protects an employe for not being fired because the Boss doesn't like him for exemple, well its moral to have a laws that defends that. And I cannot make any statistics, but most people have their morals attached to religion mixed with personnal beliefs. So you cannot get religion out as I said...
[quote]
I disagree. As a people we can all agree that people have certain rights. (life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, property, religious freedom, freedom of speech, ect. ect.) As long as we make laws base on protecting a person's rights then religion doesn't need to enter the debate. That being said since gay marriage does not violate anyone's rights it should be legal. Making gay marriage illegal violates many rights that gay couples should be entitled to have (pursuit of happiness, equal treatment under the law, and to some extent freedom of religion). Maybe its just me but this seems like a very cut and dry issue.
John Wayne was a fine actor, but he's dead now.
verd99
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Gerbie on Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:49 pm

On the supposed issue of people licenced to perform marriages being required to perform gay marriages in one of the provinces.. Tankus said he's never heard of it at his end of the country, and I'll put forth that I've never heard of it at my end either. (British Columbia)

However, BC did legalize gay marriages. In fact, about 5 minutes after the bill was passed, two gay men were married on the steps of the provincial parliament building (I think it was the provincial parliament building.. could be wrong) live on TV. You know what the biggest controversy was in the whole deal? People complaining about seeing 2 big, burly, bearded guys kissing live on TV. I'm serious.. that was the biggest complaint in the whole thing, and it wasn't even a very vehement complaint. Most of the complainers were saying "Hey, you like it? Fine, go ahead. Just don't make me watch."

On the freedom fries issue.. I've seen a couple places use the term. Sadly, I can't use them as evidence to make fun of Americans (national pass-time here in the Great White North), as they were establishments here in my town. In fact, one of those establishments was the company in charge of running cafeteria at my college. :-?

Needless to say we students roasted them and delivered garbage bags full of complaints. Heh, you should have seen how ticked the exchange students from France were.
Sailing on the seas of life under full sails, with no one at the helm.
Gerbie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ravenlore on Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:13 pm

Wil Wheaton(Ensign Wesley Crusher) also had something to say on this topic today:

http://www.wilwheaton.net/mt/archives/cat_politics.php
my moral standing is lying down.
ravenlore
Junior Keenspotter

Postby tankus on Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:16 pm

Well, I checked this last post... The guy has a lot of files on his hands... And pretty much talks all the way... BUT!! I like him :D

My favorite passage was:
That's right. Even though there are thousands of gay and lesbian couples affirming their love for and commitment to each other, my marriage -- my affirmation of love and commitment to Anne -- isn't threatened at all. As a matter of fact, the only people who can really "threaten" my marriage are . . . well . . . the two of us.

So I'm asking: We are here for about two days now complainning... yelling... GETTING OUR BRAIN OUT TRYING TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I POSTED... But does anyone here doesn't want gay people to marry?

P.S. No one will be discriminated by me after answering yes or no with/or a comment... Anyone who does will be tortured figuratively by me! (Don't know how yet)
-If a friend has problems, you try to solve them... When a real friend have a problem, you live it with him...

-tankus
tankus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Be Forewarned: political/moral debate in progress...

Postby AmanuJaku on Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:47 am

Ah, Wil Wheaton. I remember watching him on Star Trek: The Next Generation, and first liking him as an actor, then despising him as the series continued (hey, it was the cool thing to do at the time). Time and time again over the past few years, I have been reading his blog, and come to find that he's a pretty cool guy. I agree with a lot of his viewpoints. This is definitely one such time.

I was reading Megatokyo earlier this week, and was directed to Mark Fiore's site. http://www.markfiore.com/animation/agenda.html
I enjoy his work, and actually prefer reading his editorials (too bad the Dayton Daily News dropped him). He makes some good points on a wide variety of issues.

Actually Tankus, I can understand what you were getting at in your posts, and I have to disagree with you.

Unfortunately, this argument has some backwards logic to it. Our views of morality and religion do not always go hand-in-hand. For example: The Aztec view on mass sacrifice,
AmanuJaku
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Be Forewarned: political/moral debate in progress...

Postby tankus on Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:17 pm

AmanuJaku wrote:Actually Tankus, I can understand what you were getting at in your posts, and I have to disagree with you.

Unfortunately, this argument has some backwards logic to it. Our views of morality and religion do not always go hand-in-hand. For example: The Aztec view on mass sacrifice,

-tankus
tankus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DamnedEyez on Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:13 pm

I can't say for certain, as it's been awhile since I've heard and I can't find the links (so take it with a grain of salt, I guess), but I thought a number of the founding fathers were Deists who thought Christians were fanatics and worried what would come if they gained power.
DamnedEyez
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to Queen of Wands